2020 4* Juco DE/DT Deandre "Dre" Butler Commits to AU!

Auburn Kev

12 hours ago, ellitor said:

He will still be out of high school 3 years which is the way the NFL rule is written on declaring I'm pretty sure. He graduated high school in 2018. If that is correct he would be eligible to leave after 1 year at AU.

You are correct. Has nothing to do with college/JUCO attendance; the clock starts when your high school class graduates.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ellitor said:

It was @dyehardfanAU & he said Garner was past his prime. He may still think it but hasn't said it in a while so it's probably a good idea for the rest of us to stop picking on him about it by bringing it up & beating the dead horse in jokes such as the ones Clayton & Sizzle made above.

Y’all should give @Mikey that same courtesy about the oline argument! JMHO though 

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

7 minutes ago, toddc said:

Y’all should give @Mikey that same courtesy about the oline argument! JMHO though 

I would agree if he would stop but he doesn't stop so fair game. DyeHard has stopped on Garner for now.

I say let Mikey go. In the past he went on and on about LB's and now we are in great shape. If him continuing to talk about the O'line has the same results preach on.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/27/2020 at 12:35 PM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

That guy double and triples down 

Only when I'm correct and then others cannot seem to get over it and they keep bringing their error up.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Mikey said:

Only when I'm correct and then others cannot seem to get over it and they keep bringing their error up.

🙄

• Like 1

• ellitor changed the title to 2020 4* Juco DT Deandre "Dre" Butler Commits to AU!

Must read Story on Dre.

Deandre Butler had help from many on his road to Auburn

By Keith Niebuhr
9644629.jpeg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,off
Deandre Butler, middle, at his signing ceremony. (Photo: Keith Niebuhr, 247Sports)

COVINGTON, GEORGIA — It was difficult to get the words out. His eyes began to water. His throat got dry. Four-star Auburn defensive line signee Deandre Butler, the person dozens of family and friends were at Newton High to congratulate, was almost too struck by the moment to speak.

It was easy to understand why.

Just a couple years earlier, Butler didn’t know what his future held. His academics weren’t in order. He wasn’t in college. He didn’t know if he’d play football again. But last Wednesday — National Signing Day — Butler, now at Independence Community College in Kansas, was back at his old high school for a party in his honor. That morning, he signed a Letter of Intent with Auburn, fulfilling a lifelong dream.

When Newton principal Shannon Buff asked Butler to talk, his emotions took over. Then, he composed himself and said, “Without you all I wouldn’t be where I am today.”

To his left, sat Butler’s mother, Ruby Turner, and Buff. To his right, there was Newton assistant principal Veronica Bacote and her husband, Roscoe Bacote.

When Butler attended Newton, his mother, because of work, moved to Maryland. It was decided, however, that in the best interests of Butler’s future, he would stay behind in Covington. Many people chipped in to help out. He stayed at different homes before ultimately moving in with Veronica and Roscoe.

“We felt like that was his best situation,” Veronica Bacote said, before adding, “We wanted to help. He just has a huge heart. He’s like a son. He’s become part of the family. He’s just wonderful.”

Buff shared similar sentiments. “All of us,” she said, “collectively are his family. My daughter thinks of him as a big brother.”

For Turner, who said she is in the trucking business, leaving her son behind was difficult. She now hopes to move back to Georgia, possibly to the LaGrange area, to be close to Auburn.

“They've all been so supportive of Dre,” Turner said. “It really does take a village. To me, I just love the people that supported my son.”

After high school, Butler took the following fall off to get everything in order.

“I worked, worked out and ate,” he said. “I had to cut everything out, cut out all the bad. Start focusing on my goals and what I wanted to do with my life.”

After enrolling at Independence Community College, things took off on the field. In 10 games last season, Butler led the team in total tackles (66), sacks (11.5) and tackles for loss (22). By the time he signed with Auburn, he was the No. 4-ranked junior college player in the country for the industry generated 247Sports Composite.

At Auburn, Butler will have four years to play three seasons. He could play tackle or end.

“They said they’ll use me inside and out,” Butler said. “First and second I'll be outside. Third down inside facing the guard.”

He’ll arrive at Auburn as a motivated man in May.

“I’ve never been more prepared in my life,” Butler said. “I’m just looking forward to competing. I’m a competitor.”

Those in his support system -- his mother, the Bacote family and Buff (a die-hard Georgia fan) plan to be with Butler every step of the way.

“I came a long way,” Butler said. “Their support and everything they helped me with, it’s been a blessing. I love each and every one of them.”

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Theres a former player of mine that is at ICC and played along side Butler. He says he is the real deal and will push to start. Definitely some bias in his evaluation but thought I'd share

• Like 5

• ellitor changed the title to 2020 4* Juco DE/DT Deandre "Dre" Butler Commits to AU!

Seems like a very mature and focused young man. Very excited about having him. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Dre Butler signs with Auburn, accomplishes his mission

Dre Butler

Dre Butler (5) poses with Auburn coaches Wesley McGriff (left), Cadillac Williams, Travis Williams, Levorn Harbin, Rodney Garner, Kevin Steele and Kodi Burns during his visit to Auburn on January 24, 2020. Butler signed with Auburn on February 5, 2020. (Photo provided by Veronica Bacote)

As soon as Dre Butler finished writing his name on his National Letter of Intent to send to Auburn, the waterworks started. Newton High School principal Shannon Buff cried. Assistant principal Veronica Bacote cried. Her husband Roscoe Bacote cried.

“We all cried,” Veronica Bacote said. “We cried.”

There were tears of joy because while all of them wanted Butler to go to Auburn, they wanted him to make his own decision. When he opted to become a Tiger, well, there was no stopping the tears.

There were multiple reasons Butler’s people liked the idea of him going to Auburn.

First, there’s the promise of a good education. Then, of course, there’s the proximity. They’ll have to drive a mere two hours for games rather than the 13 hours they drove to see his junior college games at Independence Community College in Kansas. But most importantly, there’s the sense of family. A lot of recruits say they are drawn to the “Auburn family,” but Veronica Bacote said she thinks it takes on a special importance for Butler, whose journey took a lot of twists and turns before signing day.

Butler grew up in Baltimore, Maryland, with his mother Ruby Turner and his brother Jordan Turner. Before he started high school, the family made the move down to Covington, Georgia. Instead of the row houses and pavement of the crowded outskirts of Baltimore, Butler was suddenly walking down dirt paths that cut through the woods and going to school with kids who wore cowboy boots seriously.

Read: Grading Auburn’s recruiting class of 2020

It was a change, but Butler came to enjoy the peace, even if he didn’t embrace the cowboy boots. While in Covington, Butler started to become more involved with sports. He played basketball all four years, but it wasn’t until senior year that he started playing football.

“The football coach just reached out to me one day and was like 'You're a big boy. Come play,' ” Butler said. “And I was like, 'Nah.' I ended up coming out there, and first game of the season, I had three sacks, seven tackles.”

From there, he “blew up” – as much as someone who had one year of high school experience could, receiving an assortment of DI and DII offers, his first coming from Tennessee State. When the coach offered it to his face, Butler was shocked. That’s when he first realized this could be a way for him to pay his way through college.

However, senior year was also when his family decided to return to Baltimore for his mother’s work. Butler stayed behind in Covington, Georgia, to maintain consistency in his education and sports career.

With his family gone, Butler stayed with a friend of his mom’s and bounced between the homes of a few other friends. The administration at his high school stepped in to offer their support wherever he needed it. Butler said it “wasn’t bad,” but Bacote said she could see the instability of his living situation take a toll despite the Newton High School community that became his family.

“I think he handled it well considering what was going on,” Bacote said.

Read more about Dre Butler

But that toll became evident when Butler, who had signed with the University of Tennessee Chattanooga, didn’t qualify academically and had to stay home rather than leave for college. Veronica Bacote said he was hard on himself, not placing enough impact on all the instability in his life. It clearly lit a fire under him.

“I don't want to ever be put in that position ever again.” Butler said. “Never.”

Butler made the most of his enforced break. He moved in with the Bacotes, who provided stability and support. Roscoe Bacote still remembers the first breakfast they ate together. Butler had six giant pancakes, eggs and at least six pieces of bacon, and Roscoe Bacote still wasn’t sure if it was enough for Butler. By eating well and working out, Butler got his body ready for his next step.

However, he was getting tired of being home, so when junior colleges started to reach out, Butler decided to go that route. In spring, he packed up and moved to Kansas. He went to Independence “on a mission.”

In his freshman season, his second season of football, Butler recorded 66 tackles including 22 tackles for loss, 11.5 sacks and a pair of forced fumbles. And he grew – Veronica Bacote said he probably tripled in size from when she first met him. Suddenly, Butler was on the radar of DI programs. He received 21 offers. But it took just one visit to Auburn for him to find what he was looking for.

The Bacotes went on the Auburn visit with him, and they were struck by how the normally quiet Butler responded so comfortably to the Auburn coaches. Butler, who said he might be quiet but he’s always paying attention, liked how what the Auburn coaches told him rang true.

“Everything (Gus Malzahn) was saying was just real,” Butler said. It made Butler excited at the opportunity to go to Auburn and “just get to work.”

Even while Butler was in Kansas, he had people making the 13 hour drive out to watch him play. The superintendent went out. His principal visited. The Bacotes made the drive. Veronica Bacote knew that Butler would look for that same type of community at the next level. After the visit, she knew she would be comfortable leaving him at Auburn because he knew they would make him part of the family.

Two days after visiting, Butler committed. Ten days later, he signed. Mission accomplished.

• Like 5