Next year

bg5

Ok if someone has already done this just delete this but I wanted to check with people who know more about it than me. Auburn has several holes to fill next year and I wanted to see who might be the ones to fill those holes. As far as Starters go here is what I can see that we have leaving or possibly leaving. I know on the O'line we will probably have to depend on some Juco guys to fill some of those spots so I assume it can't be worse than this year.

WR- Cannella

WR-Hastings

LT-Wanogho

LG-Harrell

RG-Horton

RT-Driskol

HB-Nigh

DE-Davidson

DT-Brown

Buck-Bryant?

SS-Thomas

FS-Dinson

CB-Davis

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don’t see big kat leaving would think he’d stay for one more year. JMO. He wouldn’t get drafted. 

If Troxell comes back strong ( big if) we have one other tackle to replace with three Juco guys and some youth. It’s possible we start slow and improve past where we are now. Brahms could realistically improve and I have high hopes for Stutts. There’s actually room for optimism. You are going to have to have defensive linemen grow into studs like Brown and Marlon did. It didn’t happen overnight. We can be good in the secondary and even better if iggy returns. Linebacker is solid. It all hinges on offensive line. I would love to see more from Cord early or see the # 2 qb get some work in games. 

31 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

2020 will be a rebuilding year for Gus. Could be another 8-4 record during the regular season.

Not at all. If there was a “rebuilding year” it would’ve been this year with a TF quarterback and brand new LB corps. The DL will reload like usual and the underclassmen on that side are full of ballers as we saw in the Iron bowl. Most of the big players on offense will return. The OL will be the biggest question obviously but hopefully JB is right when he says the guys coming up are better athletes. We have an easier out of conference schedule and east opponents next season so anything less than 10-2 will not fly imo. 

16 minutes ago, alexava said:

If Troxell comes back strong ( big if) we have one other tackle to replace with three Juco guys and some youth. It’s possible we start slow and improve past where we are now. Brahms could realistically improve and I have high hopes for Stutts. There’s actually room for optimism. You are going to have to have defensive linemen grow into studs like Brown and Marlon did. It didn’t happen overnight. We can be good in the secondary and even better if iggy returns. Linebacker is solid. It all hinges on offensive line. I would love to see more from Cord early or see the # 2 qb get some work in games. 

I'm hearing BroHamm and Troxell  are tentatively slated as RT and LT next season.  Of course, the offseason and new arrivals may change that.

Not sure if Gus wants to go through another rebuilding year. if he does, he knows he most likely is looking at an 8-4 record in 2020.

Auburn reloads at this point.  It’ll all depend on the same 3 games it always depends on LSU, UGA, and Bama.  Depending on what Fromm does you may see 3 new Qbs.  We’ve already seen Mac and he’s gonna be pretty good with a whole season to mature.  Wildcard are UNC, TaMu and possibly Ole Miss depending on who the new coach is.  Miss State and Arkansas should be better as well.  I think the East opponent is Kentucky who could also be formidable.  Depending on the Oline the offense should be stacked.  Defense will be good but not as good upfront as this year.  I’m not concerned about LBs or DBs with guys like Smoke and Sherwood stepping up.  Special teams should be solid.  I’ll say 15-0 but another 9-3 10-2 season isn’t out of the question.

43 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Not sure if Gus wants to go through another rebuilding year. if he does, he knows he most likely is looking at an 8-4 record in 2020.

What other options does he have? 

4 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Coe will likely leave. Stove could go too, but I hope he stays. 

Hoping some of the guys thinking about leaving early will be influenced by the guys who stayed this year.   'JMO but both of them helped their draft status and careers by staying and are now recognized as among AU's all time best at their positions.  

7 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Hoping some of the guys thinking about leaving early will be influenced by the guys who stayed this year.   'JMO but both of them helped their draft status and careers by staying and are now recognized as among AU's all time best at their positions.  

I think Brown might have improved his draft stock a little he’s probably gone from late first to top 10 now.  Davidson should have made a huge jump I wouldn’t be surprised if he went from 3-4 round up to late first.  Those are to two big dogs.  I don’t think Coe will be drafted I hope he comes back.  Whatever his problem was this year he wasn’t really a major contributor.  

Just now, weagl1 said:

I think Brown might have improved his draft stock a little he’s probably gone from late first to top 10 now.  Davidson should have made a huge jump I wouldn’t be surprised if he went from 3-4 round up to late first.  Those are to two big dogs.  I don’t think Coe will be drafted I hope he comes back.  Whatever his problem was this year he wasn’t really a major contributor.  

If a guy is pretty sure of being drafted, that's one thing to consider...and if he has his degree....but leaving as an unsigned free agent and no degree.....JMO but the guy is throwing away his future.....

DL will not be as awesomely formidable, of course, but it should still be very good. There are experienced guys coming back on the OL as well as some JUCO guys (e is thrilled with our OL recruiting, he bashes me anytime I criticize OL recruiting). The DL subs have had plenty of experience and are progressing. Maybe (maybe) Bo will improve (I hope). Maybe (maybe) with both Boobee and DJ back, and if somebody can figure out how to use Joiner (dagnabit, give that guy the ball!) ....... The only real big drop-off I see is DB, but at least Ig is returning at shut down and I think we are ok -- not great, but ok.

I know, it is way too early, but I'm figuring losses to LSU, UGA and Bama = another 9/3 season.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Two back to back rebuilding years? That is not going to fly.

How do you define rebuilding year?    

For example: will bama be in a rebuilding year....probably losing Tue and likely all those speedy receivers and best I could tell, Harris was the only quality RB and he might be gone too.     LSU losing Burrow, etc. etc.   And with guys going early, there are lots of good juniors in the conference who might leave.

Guess I'm not sure why we will be worse off than most other teams.....considering that a fourth of the conference will probably have new HCs.  

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

How do you define rebuilding year?    

For example: will bama be in a rebuilding year....probably losing Tue and likely all those speedy receivers and best I could tell, Harris was the only quality RB and he might be gone too.     LSU losing Burrow, etc. etc.   And with guys going early, there are lots of good juniors in the conference who might leave.

Guess I'm not sure why we will be worse off than most other teams.....considering that a fourth of the conference will probably have new HCs.  

No. They will be expecting to re-tool and replace. That is the precedent set when you perform at a high level. No reason why next year we can't win at least 10 regular season games. Younger players are performing and playing a lot more often now. A true rebuild is to hard to come by. The last one I can think of was the 2010 to 2011 transition at Auburn. A ton of seniors on both side of the ball.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

No. They will be expecting to re-tool and replace.

Could be but they are already finding that to be more difficult.....who will be the QB?   and those receivers are almost once in a decade to have them at the same time....again using bama as an example, they were "down" this year perhaps but did not show because of the schedule.

Just saying.....the idea of who re-builds and who re-tools is yet to be determined.....but looking at the list above, I see lots of talent coming back at AU and if you want to call it re-building that's fine but I question your definition....'cause you can just as easily say "next man up" at most of our positions. :dunno:       the two big tackles are probably gonna be the most difficult guys to replace but our young DLs and LBs are pretty solid an another year of experience if very useful.  

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Could be but they are already finding that to be more difficult.....who will be the QB?   and those receivers are almost once in a decade to have them at the same time....again using bama as an example, they were "down" this year perhaps but did not show because of the schedule.

Just saying.....the idea of who re-builds and who re-tools is yet to be determined.....but looking at the list above, I see lots of talent coming back at AU and if you want to call it re-building that's fine but I question your definition....'cause you can just as easily say "next man up" at most of our positions. :dunno:       the two big tackles are probably gonna be the most difficult guys to replace but our young DLs and LBs are pretty solid an another year of experience if very useful.  

Yes but think about what you said. Them being out the top 5 after a long time is considered a down year. I am not wanting to see 8-4 next year , especially with a much lax schedule. 

29 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yes but think about what you said. Them being out the top 5 after a long time is considered a down year. I am not wanting to see 8-4 next year , especially with a much lax schedule. 

Lax schedule?  About same as this year and at bama and UGa. Jimbo might start earning his money too.

Will likely be another top ten SOS

7 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

2020 will be a rebuilding year for Gus. Could be another 8-4 record during the regular season.

See that schedule ? 3 losses, max. Maybe a 10-2. 

6 hours ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Not at all. If there was a “rebuilding year” it would’ve been this year with a TF quarterback and brand new LB corps. The DL will reload like usual and the underclassmen on that side are full of ballers as we saw in the Iron bowl. Most of the big players on offense will return. The OL will be the biggest question obviously but hopefully JB is right when he says the guys coming up are better athletes. We have an easier out of conference schedule and east opponents next season so anything less than 10-2 will not fly imo. 

Respectfully.....I completely disagree about this year being the "rebuilding " year more than next season. We're basically gonna have an entire OL, HB, TE to replace next year. That's HUGE. The LBs this year had the privilege to learn and grow into a good unit behind one of the premier DL groups in the country. That's a major factor. Our OL for next year is a complete mystery at this point regardless of projected talent,  because they have very very limited playing time alone, much less as a unit. There's some big time talent and depth leaving in this Senior class. This year was the year to do something regardless of whether it was Bo or Joey. My expectations for next year will be tempered for sure.

45 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Lax schedule?  About same as this year and at bama and UGa. Jimbo might start earning his money too.

Will likely be another top ten SOS

Yes a lax schedule . We are playing UNC instead of Oregon and Kentucky instead of Florida. Please don’t start with the excuses already 

31 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

Respectfully.....I completely disagree about this year being the "rebuilding " year more than next season. We're basically gonna have an entire OL, HB, TE to replace next year. That's HUGE. The LBs this year had the privilege to learn and grow into a good unit behind one of the premier DL groups in the country. That's a major factor. Our OL for next year is a complete mystery at this point regardless of projected talent,  because they have very very limited playing time alone, much less as a unit. There's some big time talent and depth leaving in this Senior class. This year was the year to do something regardless of whether it was Bo or Joey. My expectations for next year will be tempered for sure.

I see your point. But we knew before this season it would be VERY hard to get where we wanted with that schedule and a true freshman QB. Seth will be back, Joiner, Shivers, Schwartz, Bo, DJ, Matthew Hill, Shedrick Jackson, Sheffield, MAR just to name a few. Then you have a 5 Star RB who could see immediate playing time. If we can get a serviceable O-line I think we should improve on that side. This is assuming everyone returns (but with as much talent as we have I doubt that will happen unfortunately). 

On the defensive side, I think we could have the best LB group in a very long time. On the D-line, we might not have a big name like DB or MD (yet) but we’ve had younger guys already step up and prove themselves this year. We might be similar to UGAs Dline this season. No big names but a solid group. Secondary is a question, I think Smoke will be one of the best safeties we’ve ever had before he leaves. Hopefully Iggy comes back. That would be huge if he does. 

The main reason for optimism is the schedule. We played 5 top 10 teams this year and will only play 3 next season, we also don’t have to go to Death Valley. Plus all 3 teams will be breaking in a new QB and two have subpar defenses (UGA being the only exception) 

Archived