Next year

bg5

9 hours ago, AU64 said:

If a guy is pretty sure of being drafted, that's one thing to consider...and if he has his degree....but leaving as an unsigned free agent and no degree.....JMO but the guy is throwing away his future.....

Therein lies the problem. Virtually everyone of them is not only convinced they are going to be drafted, but they all feel like they are a 1-3 round guy. Jeff Holland is a great example of a guy who had the physical skills to get drafted with one more year of seasoning under his belt. But he jumped and went as an undrafted FA. Like you, I hate to see that. Brown and Davidson set a great example of how coming back can help. I hope others are watching. 

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Coe will likely leave. Stove could go too, but I hope he stays. 

Word has been Coe will stay so he can heal up and have a monster season and go higher in the draft.

14 hours ago, alexava said:

We can be good in the secondary and even better if iggy returns. Linebacker is solid. It all hinges on offensive line.

Iggy has been leaning on leaving but the coaches think he should stay one more season to get more seasoning.  I tend to agree.

I have a feeling we will be pleasantly surprised next season with our OL.  Some of the backups are have been said to be better than the starters.  Hamm is apparently super strong and stalemated Brown in Fall camp.  We also have the #1 and #2 JUCO OT's coming in.

19 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I have a feeling we will be pleasantly surprised next season with our OL.  Some of the backups are have been said to be better than the starters.  Hamm is apparently super strong and stalemated Brown in Fall camp.  We also have the #1 and #2 JUCO OT's coming in.

I have said that a few times, I think our OL has the potential to be better than the last two years. 

48 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Based on talent?

And attitude IMO. Which I guess falls under the talent umbrella.

We might also see more continuity with the offense itself, which would help offset the fall-off in experience. Put another way, I'm not sure that the experience our outgoing seniors had was as valuable as it might be in other situations. Those dudes endured a ton of volatility throughout their careers. A couple talented jucos and hungry, mean younguns stepping into an offense that knows what it wants to be could start the season in a better place than we did this year. 

These are all things I've said and been wrong about in recent seasons. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

And attitude IMO. Which I guess falls under the talent umbrella.

We might also see more continuity with the offense itself, which would help offset the fall-off in experience. Put another way, I'm not sure that the experience our outgoing seniors had was as valuable as it might be in other situations. Those dudes endured a ton of volatility throughout their careers. A couple talented jucos and hungry, mean younguns stepping into an offense that knows what it wants to be could start the season in a better place than we did this year. 

These are all things I've said and been wrong about in recent seasons. 

Haha thanks for your disclaimer

11 hours ago, DAG said:

No. They will be expecting to re-tool and replace. That is the precedent set when you perform at a high level. No reason why next year we can't win at least 10 regular season games. Younger players are performing and playing a lot more often now. A true rebuild is to hard to come by. The last one I can think of was the 2010 to 2011 transition at Auburn. A ton of seniors on both side of the ball.

As should Auburn. This was a down year for Bama and they lost two games. That’s the way it should be at Auburn. We normally play 4 tough teams a year and at worst we should not lose more than half of those.  That’s the standard that needs to be held too. Maybe once every 8 or 9 years a 9-3 season. 

We are losing a lot next season and it is going to be hard to replace everyone. 

Scary spots:

Secondary (if iggy leaves) - wholesale changes at these 2 spots. So never know who it goes. We have some guys in the Secondary who should be able to play. Corner is my main  concern but we are losing alot everywhere on the backend of the D.

OL - I shudder to think.......hoping for a miracle that we can put a decent one together. 

Less scary:

DL -  you can't replace players like Brown and Davidson but we develop talent well here so i look forward to the next stars to emerge. 

Strengths:

QB - Hoping Nix bucks the trend and improves but it will depend on his OL

LB - Best in the SEC...i love our LBs

WR - Tons of guys with experience retuurning

RB - tons of guys with experience returning. 

HB - I think sheneker returns and he has experience. Be nice to find another guy like Wilson who is a threat out of the backfield

ST - should be ok. Hoping Carlson found his grove in the bama game. Can Siposs leave or does he have to stay another season? Not sure how that works with the aussies

2 hours ago, abw0004 said:

I did not see the yellow font, If some of the backups are in fact better than the starters, there in lays the major issue!  The only way this should ever happen is if there are chemistry issues. 

If it is a talent thing, that's a different story.  They may still have technique issues, etc.

39 minutes ago, C'viewTiger said:

I did not see the yellow font, If some of the backups are in fact better than the starters, there in lays the major issue!  The only way this should ever happen is if there are chemistry issues. 

If it is a talent thing, that's a different story.  They may still have technique issues, etc.

To our current OL's credit, they have been one of the least penalized OL's Auburn has ever had.  Zero holding calls, and one false start in the Florida game.  They may not be as talented as OL's in the past but I feel Grimes coached them up as any coach could.  And I am very impressed with how few penalties they got.  Alabama's OL had more calls in the Iron Bowl than our OL all year.

18 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

2020 will be a rebuilding year for Gus. Could be another 8-4 record during the regular season.

If you look at the schedule that is not likely. We drop Oregon and pick up North Carolina, drop Florida and pick up Kentucky. Ga., LSU and Bama all lose QB's and other major players. Skill players coming back on Off. with at least as good if not better line. LB's and DB's should be as good or better. Biggest question is how big the drop off is on the D'line. If Coe comes back ( Big Question) it will not be as bad if he doesn't then it will be pretty big.

I like seeing (most) everyone's positive outlook on the future of the OL.  I had my doubts initially based upon the amount of people we are losing but it would seem that people that have more insight (or just pay more attention than me) are high on the *potential* of the OL next year.

As far as the rest, KS has the D rolling and that should continue (even with Brown & Davidson graduating).  LB play has been really good and DB's will improve greatly with another year under his system.  

1 hour ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

As should Auburn. This was a down year for Bama and they lost two games. That’s the way it should be at Auburn. We normally play 4 tough teams a year and at worst we should not lose more than half of those.  That’s the standard that needs to be held too. Maybe once every 8 or 9 years a 9-3 season. 

I will point out that Bama only played 2 tough teams this year. We played 5 this year - OU, UF, LSU, UGA, and UA. That's a hellacious schedule.

A 9-3 season is a good season. It's not a great season, but it is a good season, and is a reasonable floor in seasons like this IMO. But that's just me.

The schedule next year should be easier. We have 3 hard games next year. Even with the drop in defense we could be 10-2 next year (or better) with a more seasoned QB - but that depends on the OL. LSU is replacing Burrow. Uat is replacing everyone. Uga - well they are going to beat us no matter what because that is what they do. 

2 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I am becoming more and more convinced this is not a down year for Alabama and may start to become their norm.  The reason I say that is when Alabama was dominant, they controlled recruiting.  Now with recruits going to other schools like Clemson, Ohio State, Georgia, etc they have less to choose from.  I actually think Alabama's dynasty is not as strong as it once was.  Their defense hasn't been as good for a few years now.

5 hours ago, abw0004 said:

This makes no sense.  If they are better, why haven't they been playing?

2 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Bird and others have agreed seniority may have been playing a role. Look at Kaleb Kim.

1 minute ago, dyehardfanAU said:

I hope they mean more athletic and potential. I still probably would have taken my chances with a couple of younger players in the interior. Especially after the Florida loss. Our lack on run blocking was our weakness. 

I'll do a position by position break down for next year (not including incoming players until after Spring Game). As an aside, I have no clue who will redshirt and who will not so forgive me if I guess incorrectly). * Star means I'm not predicting them to redshirt but it would be nice if they did count this year as a RS year.

Quarterback

1. Bo Nix (Sophomore) 2. Cord Sandberg (Redshirt Sophomore) 3. Trey Lindsey (Redshirt Freshman)

My take - Returning starter, a rarity here at Auburn, without any real threat to his position. Cord is a serviceable backup but the need to keep our currently committed QB and to potentially bring in a 2nd quarterback in this class has been heightened by the departure of Joey Gatewood and the graduation of ELITE 100% COMPLETION RATE Wil Appleton. I think we improve at this position next year as Bo takes a step forward but the future of the position could be in danger if we don't land a viable future starter in this class. We have a 2021 prospect who seems 'legit' but you'd like to hope for a more experienced replacement when Bo leaves.

Running Back

1. Boobee Whitlow (Redshirt Junior) 2. Shaun Shivers (Junior) 3. DJ Williams (Sophomore) 4. Mark-Anthony Richards (Redshirt Freshman) 5. Harold Joiner (Redshirt Sophomore) 6. Malik Miller (Senior) 7. Devan Barrett (Senior) 8. Payton Anderson (Redshirt Freshman) 9. Jacob Jasinski (Redshirt Sophomore)

My take - This is the position I'd keep an eye on for potential transfers. Both Malik Miller and Devan Barrett won't be seeing too many touches in their senior year and both might look elsewhere for a final hoorah. Shivers might decide his talents could best be utilized elsewhere as I'm assuming many frustrations were caused during the season. Joiner might not be too interested in being a gimmick player for another year. Boobee is solid, DJ will see an increased role, MAR is a monster once healthy, Worm is dynamic, and we're adding a stud in Tank Bigsby (hopefully). The position is going to be crowded if no one leaves and I quite frankly, in good conscious, wouldn't advise certain players to stay (if I were an outside consultant on the matter). Again, I think we'll be better at this position next season and I'm hoping, despite knowing better, we truly utilize an extremely talented group of backs. Kam Martin will be missed by those who actually payed attention to his performances!

H-Back / Tight End / Fullback

1. John Samuel Shenker (Junior) 2. Luke Deal (Redshirt Freshman) 3. Tyler Fromm (Redshirt Freshman)

My take - We lose a lot here actually. Jay Jay Wilson, Spencer Nigh, and Phelps Gambill have all used up their eligibility. Fortunately we maintain Shenker and we have two very talented freshmen (who I think will have redshirt designations) in Deal and Fromm. If you follow recruiting, Jeremiah Pegues is a phenomenal athlete who could instantly have an impact on our offense. However, he's not currently committed. With that in consideration I think we lose some points at this position.

Offensive Line in No Particular Order

1. Jalil Irvin (Redshirt Sophomore) 2. Justin Osborne (Sophomore) 3. Nick Brahms (Junior) 4. Tashawn Manning (Junior) 5. Keiondre Jones (Redshirt Freshman) 6. Brodarious Hamm (Junior) 7. Kameron Stutts (Redshirt Sophomore) 8. Alec Jackson (Junior) 9. Austin Troxell (Junior) 10. David Shannon (Sophomore) 11. Prince Micheal Sammons (Senior) 12. Kamar Bell (Sophomore)

My take - I have absolutely no idea who will redshirt from this season at this position. Hopefully a good number of guys who didn't play 4 games will get a redshirt since we're having to replace all five starting spots. I'm sure guys like Sammons wouldn't mind having an additional year if it's possible. We have a massive class coming in (quantity-wise) and it'll be interesting to see if Grimes (who I wish would retire) sticks with a seniority approach. We have talent on the roster but some of it has never been seen on the field. It's fair to assume, outside of the Center spot, we're likely looking at a step back in OL performance (though the theory that there's more talent is likely possible as I was never high on Harrell or Horton on the inside). The following will be gone (Mike Horton, Bailey Sharp, Jack Driscoll, Trent Kelley*, Prince Tega Wanogho, Marquell Harrell).

Wide Receiver in No Particular Order

1. Anthony Schwartz (Junior) 2. Ja'Varrius Johnson (Redshirt Freshman) 3. Shedrick Jackson (Junior) 4. Eli Stove (Senior) 5. Zach Farrar (Senior*) 6. Jashawn Sheffield (Redshirt Freshman) 7. Marquis McClain (Senior*) 7. Seth Williams (Junior) 8. Matthew Hill (Redshirt Sophomore) 9. Tommy Nesmith (Redshirt Freshman) 10. James Owens Moss (Senior*) 11. Cameron Payne (Junior*) 12. Malcolm Russell (Redshirt Sophomore) 13. Jackson McFadden (Redshirt Sophomore)

My take - losing talents like Hastings and Cannella is always sad to see them go (especially when you feel they never quite got to reach their potential production). Still, the core of our targets will return with Williams/Stove/Schwartz. I would like to see Schwartz be treated as a legitimate receiver more and Stove utilized a little more in the slot. This is another spot with some stud freshmen potentially coming that could lead to some looking to transfer out. I think the increase in use of Hill and Shedrick in the last few games might appease them enough to stay; previously I believed Hill was all but gone. I think this group improves next year along with QB and RB improving this will all hinge on the OL being serviceable.

Buck

1. Nick Coe* (Senior) 2. Derick Hall (Sophomore) 3. TD Moultry (Senior) 4. Colby Wooden (Redshirt Freshman) 5. Jacob Voneschenbach (Senior)

My take - If Coe leaves early he is getting some terrible advice from someone. He won't want to hear it but the numbers aren't there to get drafted. His ceiling in the draft is likely the 5th round if teams love his measurables. IF he returns, then I really like the Bucks we have and their depth should be tremendous with Hall looking sharp, Moultry flashing potential, and Wooden being respected as well. This could actually be an upgrade for a reloading DL with Coe coming back to be the star player this time around.

Defensive End

1. Big Kat Bryant* (Senior) 2. Caleb Johnson (Redshirt Sophomore) 3. Caleb Johnson (Redshirt Sophomore)

My take - I think that Big Kat returns as well (again barring an evil bird being in his ear). We'll have some solid talent coming in but it is a shame we lost Charles Moore to something strange I assume. Still, don't worry about the appeared lack of depth. Buck and DE aren't too different in our offense and it's likely we see a rotation of Nick Coe/Hall/Kat/Moultry on the bookends. Think this will be needed experience returning considering the interior of the DL will struggle to replace the disruptive nature of Derrick Brown.

Defensive Line

1. Coynis Miller Jr. (Junior) 2. Tyrone Truesdell (Senior) 3. Daquan Newkirk (Senior) 4. Jaren Handy (Sophomore) 5. Trent Townsend (Redshirt Freshman) 6. Reece Mullins (Redshirt Freshman) 7. Peyton Nance

***I'll finish later***

Didn't think it deserves it's on thread since there hasn't been a word about it, but what do we think happens coaching staff wise? Obviously Gus isn't going anywhere (unless a bombshell drops). So I'm curious as to what changes are made at the assistant level.

Personally I think the two with the most potential are Grimes (to "retirement") and Dillingham (possibly following Norvell now that it seems imminent that he takes a Power 5 gig)

Burns I could possibly see someone giving him a look at Offensive Coordinator (no Co- tag), though I have no clue who would possibly be looking.

Other than that I don't see many necessary staff changes or possible poachings. Thoughts?

15 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

Didn't think it deserves it's on thread since there hasn't been a word about it, but what do we think happens coaching staff wise? Obviously Gus isn't going anywhere (unless a bombshell drops). So I'm curious as to what changes are made at the assistant level.

Personally I think the two with the most potential are Grimes (to "retirement") and Dillingham (possibly following Norvell now that it seems imminent that he takes a Power 5 gig)

Burns I could possibly see someone giving him a look at Offensive Coordinator (no Co- tag), though I have no clue who would possibly be looking.

Other than that I don't see many necessary staff changes or possible poachings. Thoughts?

Well, if Dilly leaves then "you know who" will be looking.

Archived