Next year

bg5

1 minute ago, abw0004 said:

It's 50/50 really.  He is pretty high on the QB boards.

I did and they have regressed.  Not near as powerful from the year prior.  Their only saving grace this year was Fromm and Swift.  Next year they could be without both.

He is but on the draft boards he was pretty high, or at least at the beginning of the year.

Well all I know is that they beat us and will be playing for a chance to get into the playoffs once again this year. I think we need to realize UGA , LSU , Bama have positioned themselves to always be quality in nature. You say Jake Fromm was their saving grace , but half the time I hear how horrible he is on this board . My point is this, we need to get to a point where we are matching their ability to win in this rivalry. 

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm thankful that they have Fromm and aren't unleashing Justin Fields against us. 

*sigh* remember when Justin Fields was almost an Auburn Tiger?

13 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I'm thankful that they have Fromm and aren't unleashing Justin Fields against us. 

Yup! To be fair I don't think he'd be as effective in the SEC let alone in our offense. 

25 minutes ago, DAG said:

Well all I know is that they beat us and will be playing for a chance to get into the playoffs once again this year. I think we need to realize UGA , LSU , Bama have positioned themselves to always be quality in nature. You say Jake Fromm was their saving grace , but half the time I hear how horrible he is on this board . My point is this, we need to get to a point where we are matching their ability to win in this rivalry. 

Oh I don't think he is all that great but the NFL disagrees with me apparently.  :laugh:  But if Fromm leaves, UGA does not have anyone good waiting in the wings.  Right now they only have one other scholarship player on the roster was was a late pick-up on NSD when Fields left.  The UGA game definately hurt.  That was the one game that mattered to me the most.  I think our UGA game was where Gus learned to let Nix controll more from the line, and we saw that in the Iron Bowl.

Just now, Zeek said:

Yup! To be fair I don't think he'd be as effective in the SEC let alone in our offense. 

Agree regarding our schedule but he would've absolutely crushed it in our O IMO. Our O is meant for a guy like him. This isn't to disparage Nix but with someone who isn't a legitimate killer with his legs this O can only really run at ~75% of it's potential on a good day IMO. The true threat of a QB's hurting teams on the ground (I'm talking 600+ yards season rushing total) is what mitigates our elementary passing game IMO.

Without that component of our O we have games where we go 3 and out 8 times in a row, etc.

2 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Oh I don't think he is all that great but the NFL disagrees with me apparently.  :laugh:  But if Fromm leaves, UGA does not have anyone good waiting in the wings.  Right now they only have one other scholarship player on the roster was was a late pick-up on NSD when Fields left.  The UGA game definately hurt.  That was the one game that mattered to me the most.  I think our UGA game was where Gus learned to let Nix controll more from the line, and we saw that in the Iron Bowl.

I don't think he's all that great either but the NFL will try their damndest to get a guy who fits a certain "mold" if ya get my drift regardless of how good they are.

Mitch Trubisky is very thankful and rich for this thought process. Jake Fromm would be the next version of him IMO.

5 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Agree regarding our schedule but he would've absolutely crushed it in our O IMO. Our O is meant for a guy like him. This isn't to disparage Nix but with someone who isn't a legitimate killer with his legs this O can only really run at ~75% of it's potential on a good day IMO. The true threat of a QB's hurting teams on the ground (I'm talking 600+ yards season rushing total) is what mitigates our elementary passing game IMO.

Without that component of our O we have games where we go 3 and out 8 times in a row, etc.

Yeah, I still think Bo is a better runner than most realize (ball security could use some work). Looked up Justin Fields' rushing numbers and they're not astoundingly better. Gus is likely too afraid of running Bo more than necessary. Agreed, our best offenses have been with a mobile quarterback.

Honestly, if someone sat down and talked with Gus about focusing on first downs and marching instead of always looking for a big play he'd be alright. Sometimes it feels like he's desperate to hit that big one (long bombs on 3rd and short) or trick plays that put us in 3rd & 8+ territory.

4 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I don't think he's all that great either but the NFL will try their damndest to get a guy who fits a certain "mold" if ya get my drift regardless of how good they are.

Mitch Trubisky is very thankful and rich for this thought process. Jake Fromm would be the next version of him IMO.

Nay-hay-hailed it. 

"He's not a great pas..."

"Man, he interviews well, doesn't he?"

"Well, yeah, but he's kind slow and inac..."

"Says all the right things. Comes from a good family. Prototype build, too."

"Okay, I guess, but see, he's just not very goo..."

"DID YOU SEE HIS CHIN?!?! LOOK AT THAT CHIN!!!!"

2 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Yeah, I still think Bo is a better runner than most realize (ball security could use some work). Looked up Justin Fields' rushing numbers and they're not astoundingly better. Gus is likely too afraid of running Bo more than necessary. Agreed, our best offenses have been with a mobile quarterback.

Honestly, if someone sat down and talked with Gus about focusing on first downs and marching instead of always looking for a big play he'd be alright. Sometimes it feels like he's desperate to hit that big one (long bombs on 3rd and short) or trick plays that put us in 3rd & 8+ territory.

I'm with you 100%. Like I said I didn't mean to disparage Nix. I just am not sold on the idea that Gus is the coach to get the most out of a player like Nix considering our offensive system is constructed in a way that won't highlight a passing QBs strengths. Nix can run but I don't think he would ever be a guy who will devastate a team by extending drives with his legs too often. That's the type of player that really makes Gus look good IMO.

Yup, it always seems the teams that take away our big plays beat us

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

And Justyn Ross and George Pickens?

18 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

And Justyn Ross and George Pickens?

Truthfully I'm less mad about those guys because I don't think Gus would be able to utilize them properly. I don't even think Gus is capable of putting Schwartz, Seth, and Pickens on the field at the same time. There's just not enough room in the system for it smh

14 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Truthfully I'm less mad about those guys because I don't think Gus would be able to utilize them properly. I don't even think Gus is capable of putting Schwartz, Seth, and Pickens on the field at the same time. There's just not enough room in the system for it smh

Al Borges' most genius move as our OC was getting Carnell and Ronnie on the field at the same time. I'm amazed more coaches haven't adopted that philosophy. Gus needs to quit thinking so much about the plays and think more about the players; by that I mean doing whatever it takes to get the ball in the hands of his best playmakers. His best success has come when he's done that (Nick Marshall, Cam Newton, Tre Mason, Kerryon Johnson). If Shivers is a playmaker, do all you can to get the ball in his hands as much as possible. Same with Joiner, Schwartz, Seth, etc. Don't just have some specific plays drawn up for them that utilize them a few times a game. Scheme to get the ball in their hands as much as possible.

15 minutes ago, caleb1633 said:

Al Borges' most genius move as our OC was getting Carnell and Ronnie on the field at the same time. I'm amazed more coaches haven't adopted that philosophy. Gus needs to quit thinking so much about the plays and think more about the players; by that I mean doing whatever it takes to get the ball in the hands of his best playmakers. His best success has come when he's done that (Nick Marshall, Cam Newton, Tre Mason, Kerryon Johnson). If Shivers is a playmaker, do all you can to get the ball in his hands as much as possible. Same with Joiner, Schwartz, Seth, etc. Don't just have some specific plays drawn up for them that utilize them a few times a game. Scheme to get the ball in their hands as much as possible.

Say it again, Caleb!!!

He just doesn't do any of that and it's maddening. Not only that but he doesn't even seek out mismatches to put our players in an optimal position to succeed. He just operates the system the same way each game. Frankly, it's not smart coaching.

28 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Say it again, Caleb!!!

He just doesn't do any of that and it's maddening. Not only that but he doesn't even seek out mismatches to put our players in an optimal position to succeed. He just operates the system the same way each game. Frankly, it's not smart coaching.

Exactly. His understanding of exploiting a defense is elementary at best. If he did any of what we've discussed in our last two posts, we wouldn't have lost many of the most frustrating games the last 4 years.

50 minutes ago, caleb1633 said:

Legit question, which lesser playmaker type was getting the ball too much in this offense? Whose touches would you take away to give to Joiner, Schwartz, Seth etc?

4 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

Legit question, which lesser playmaker type was getting the ball too much in this offense? Whose touches would you take away to give to Joiner, Schwartz, Seth etc?

IMO Boobie doesn't need 50% of the carries when all the other backs are comparable to him in terms of talent. Especially when 1/3 of his carries are just runs right into the center's butt.  He got half the RB touches while missing a few games. He probably would've had closer to 75% of the total touches if he didn't miss time.

We don't ever match Flash up with a LB.

We don't ever move guys around to force the D into a bad matchup.

We raaarely get Shivers in space. We don't get him involved in the passing game -- there's not a LB in the nation that could keep up with him. Florida and LSU both beat us on the strength of putting their fastest guys in spots where LBs had to cover them.

On 12/3/2019 at 9:53 PM, DAG said:

Two back to back rebuilding years? That is not going to fly.

I wouldn't have really considered this year a rebuilding year since we had two DlineMen return that could have gone pro very easily.  I know it's a True Freshman running the show, but it was behind a pretty much Senior line, albeit not a great line in my opinion.  

How many underclassmen did we play this year?  How many returning starters did we play this year compared to next?  

Next year, don't we have the schedule shift to UGa/aTm back to back early and then LSU/uAT back to back to close out the year?  That might prove  a pretty tough schedule for the conference, but out OOC seems easier with UNC as the 2nd game instead of opening with a top 10 matchup like this year.

I'm not a Gus fan, so I have no real confidence that we go 8-4, but it does seem like that is more the "Bottom" of the barrel for next year.  Win one of the UGA/aTm/LSU/uAT games and we're back at 9-3.  

8 minutes ago, Bathel said:

I wouldn't have really considered this year a rebuilding year since we had two DlineMen return that could have gone pro very easily.  I know it's a True Freshman running the show, but it was behind a pretty much Senior line, albeit not a great line in my opinion.  

How many underclassmen did we play this year?  How many returning starters did we play this year compared to next?  

Next year, don't we have the schedule shift to UGa/aTm back to back early and then LSU/uAT back to back to close out the year?  That might prove  a pretty tough schedule for the conference, but out OOC seems easier with UNC as the 2nd game instead of opening with a top 10 matchup like this year.

I'm not a Gus fan, so I have no real confidence that we go 8-4, but it does seem like that is more the "Bottom" of the barrel for next year.  Win one of the UGA/aTm/LSU/uAT games and we're back at 9-3.  

At minimum , with the schedule, this team should be able to win 9 games off of talent alone. Attrition or not.

26 minutes ago, DAG said:

At minimum , with the schedule, this team should be able to win 9 games off of talent alone. Attrition or not.

Agreed... 8-4 or below should not be acceptable at all for next years team... IMO.   

Grapevine stuff from the rant, may be/maybe not type thing, says we may be getting a new OC AND a QB that happens to be his son. I hope this is false, but I am getting this little voice thing that says it may turn out to be true. I would love to have the son, but daddy don't make me warm and fuzzy, even though was an OC for a NC.

I won't mention names, but is anyone hearing anything kinda' solid along this line?

On 12/3/2019 at 2:08 PM, auburn4ever said:

2020 will be a rebuilding year for Gus. Could be another 8-4 record during the regular season.

When is it not a "rebuilding year?"

Archived