Null



Sign in to follow this  
AuburnTiger4Life

RB Roster For The 2020 Season

Recommended Posts





Joiner has serious talent and ability, but has been SERIOUSLY underutilized in Gus' offense. I wouldn't be surprised if he leaves, and that's really sad, because IMHO that young man is a "difference maker."

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, AURex said:

Joiner has serious talent and ability, but has been SERIOUSLY underutilized in Gus' offense. I wouldn't be surprised if he leaves, and that's really sad, because IMHO that young man is a "difference maker."

Based on what? At what position? Honest questions.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In games this year, Whitlow has clearly been our best back. The offense just seems to pick up when he's there. I see no reason for him to leave early and even less reason to think he'll be the #2 back next year. Barring injury, he'll be the starter.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Based on what? At what position? Honest questions.

Thanks

Seems that everyone thinks one of their favorite players is "underutilized" ...or even "criminally underutilized" when he's not getting "enough" playing time( in their opinion).   

We either need more footballs or perhaps allow more players on the field....but we saw how well that worked for bama though I don't blame them for trying to get Waddell on the field for one more play....that guy was really trouble.     But back to the point.... with about 35 or so running plays a game and 6 RBs, the best 2 are likely to get most of the carries (in addition to Bo) and the rest of them need to make the most of their opportunities and try to work their way up the depth chart.  

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Thanks

Seems that everyone thinks one of their favorite players is "underutilized" ...or even "criminally underutilized" when he's not getting "enough" playing time( in their opinion).   

We either need more footballs or perhaps allow more players on the field....but we saw how well that worked for bama though I don't blame them for trying to get Waddell on the field for one more play....that guy was really trouble.     But back to the point.... with about 35 or so running plays a game and 6 RBs, the best 2 are likely to get most of the carries (in addition to Bo) and the rest of them need to make the most of their opportunities and try to work their way up the depth chart.  

1. Love the bama/Waddell joke, and heck yeah he was trouble. 

2. Splitting hairs, we ran the ball 43 times a game this year, and that skews a little low for a Malzahn offense. But maybe you were subtracting QB runs and WR sweeps. . Which would more or less add up. 

3. I was waiting for somebody to call me out, even if inadvertently, on the double standard. I'm a Worm guy. But I feel like Worm has shown it. I just haven't seen anything from Joiner other than he's big. And that's why I feel like we hear the exact same things now that we heard before anyone had seen him play at all. (Not that we've really seen him play now, either.)

Worm has a skill set that no other RB has. So does KMart. If our offense was putting up numbers like Gus offenses have at times in the past, I wouldn't complain. But there were numerous times where our offense flat out sucked and the guys on the field couldn't move the ball. So it's not an open and shut case of "Benchy McGee just needs to get better". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMO DJ is the best back. He moves the pile and, in a limited capacity, hasn't shown to have ball security issues.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Splitting hairs, we ran the ball 43 times a game this year, and that skews a little low for a Malzahn offense. But maybe you were subtracting QB runs and WR sweeps. . Which would more or less add up. 

I was just looking at the number of carries by the RBs.....some of those sweeps are runs and some are technically classed as passes so the stats are hard to interpret.  

In my view at least, when a RB is on the field, he has more responsibility than just carrying the ball and I expect it's how those responsibilities are carried out that has a lot to do with who is one the field, how often they are on the field....and eventually how many carries the guy might get.    

Looks like BN is gonna have more carries going forward which is a factor too.  He did a nice job against bama....caught them napping a few times for some really valuable yardage.....and his run threat was likely a factor in some of the nice runs by Boobee. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AU64 said:

I was just looking at the number of carries by the RBs.....some of those sweeps are runs and some are technically classed as passes so the stats are hard to interpret.  

In my view at least, when a RB is on the field, he has more responsibility than just carrying the ball and I expect it's how those responsibilities are carried out that has a lot to do with who is one the field, how often they are on the field....and eventually how many carries the guy might get.    

Looks like BN is gonna have more carries going forward which is a factor too.  He did a nice job against bama....caught them napping a few times for some really valuable yardage.....and his run threat was likely a factor in some of the nice runs by Boobee. 

One of the more exciting developments in the game. Might pay dividends going into next season, too. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/3/2019 at 10:33 PM, AUDevil said:

That's going to be interesting to watch.  We've got some serious depth:

Boobee / DJ - I'd assume Boobee and DJ get a majority of the carries next year - 20-30 per game between both of them.  Big question I have...does Boobee think he's ready for the NFL?  You never know.

Shivers - His Mom indicates he's looking for bigger opportunities and it would be hard to blame him, although I'd hate to lose him.

Joiner - I imagine he'll be looking for a bigger role next year

Miller - I'm curious if he stays or transfers for his last year.  I don't see him getting much PT.

MAR - Haven't heard a peep about MAR in months...is he acclimating well?  His he happy here?

Bigsby - He's going to have to be pretty special to crack that line-up.  5 star RBs are typically able to contribute quickly so we'll see.

This.

Agreed on Boobee and DJ.

Shivers, wouldn't blame him if he left and if he asked me for my advice I would encourage him to if he could somehow do it without losing eligibility.

Joiner, he's such an odd player with how he's used. Another kid I might encourage to seek another opportunity elsewhere.

Miller, same as Joiner but gets used less.

MAR, just as good as DJ imo and he's a potential lead back.

Bigsby, absolute monster but he'd have to be Cadillac level to be the guy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nix needs to average about 8 or 10 carries each game for 50 yards to help the running game.  He doesn't have to be a 100 yards guy like Cam or Nick.  Plumlee is actually smaller than Bo (but a little quicker) and runs for about 150 yards/game but that doesn't translate into more wins because of his limited passing skills.  Miller has had a lot of injuries so I don't see him wantng to take on the down and dirty Cox role so a transfer might be the answer.  Joiner can take on the Jay Jay role but that might not be enough to keep him.  He is talented enough to be the featured back in a different offense. Wish we could have convinced JRP to come to AU as a WR.  Ole Miss was the only one of his finalists to give him the chance he wanted. UGA, LSU and others  wanted him as an athlete.  Ole Miss was OK with Baseball too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, autan said:

Joiner...He is talented enough to be the featured back in a different offense.

JMO but he's about where he needs to be...at 6"-4" he is not the size of a typical RB.....most of whom are built low to the ground and are all muscles from the waist up.   I like him in the role he's at....don't see him as a running back....but maybe in the slot.   

He's got good open field speed and JMO but I see him replacing Cannella next year. ….and J J Wilson....but more TE. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/3/2019 at 10:00 PM, ellitor said:

Assuming everyone returns.

Shivers is the only quality prospect I could see leaving. Guy deserves top 2 RB minutes somewhere

joiner should leave but for whatever reason I see him staying the 4 years 

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Joiner is an athlete without a position. He'll have the same problem at any big school.  I'd just like to see him turn himself into a tight end, where he could be special.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

Joiner is an athlete without a position. He'll have the same problem at any big school.  I'd just like to see him turn himself into a tight end, where he could be special.

Or maybe he could try to slide into the big slot role that Sal will be vacating. 

Either way, it seems like his best chance at a future in this sport is as a pass-catching matchup nightmare. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sully to Beasley said:

Running back will be a strength of this team in '20 regardless of any possible defections.

Agreed. Just Williams, MAR and Tank should give us our best group to start the season since 2015 and, before that, 2004. Just have to hope everyone stays healthy and out of trouble. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still think Joiner could be our Kalen Ballage if we wanted to use him in a variety of ways. Worked out for Ballage pretty well without tons of usage in college

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wasn't MAR touted as the second coming of Kerryon coming out of high school?  If so, then I would expect he will be competitive for playing time next season.

If healthy, can he play in our bowl game without affecting his RS?  

Boobee gets credit for being our best blocking back.  I did not see that skill from other RBs except for Miller, who really is a blocking back first.

We just need a better OL to benefit from our backs.  Otherwise, WORM will be the only one who can get through the tiny holes opened by our OL!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TuscaloosaTiger said:

Wasn't MAR touted as the second coming of Kerryon coming out of high school?  If so, then I would expect he will be competitive for playing time next season.

If healthy, can he play in our bowl game without affecting his RS?  

Boobee gets credit for being our best blocking back.  I did not see that skill from other RBs except for Miller, who really is a blocking back first.

We just need a better OL to benefit from our backs.  Otherwise, WORM will be the only one who can get through the tiny holes opened by our OL!

I like MAR I think he’s going to be good but not 2020. It’ll take a year or two like Kerron. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/6/2019 at 6:55 AM, Cardin Drake said:

Joiner is an athlete without a position. He'll have the same problem at any big school.  I'd just like to see him turn himself into a tight end, where he could be special.

This

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/4/2019 at 3:45 PM, aucom96 said:

We definitely need to improve our production out of the run game next season. 

Is the line play going to improve? Hope so! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this