Marquis McClain transfering

wareagle881

5 hours ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

I had such high hopes for him but he *allegedly* dropped too many passes in practice to be trusted over some others on gameday. Regardless I hope he can be successful wherever he goes 

There's that, and it really takes something for a position coach to publicly say that one of his players "needs to grow up". That is what's been said of McClain more than once. Hopefully he'll do some growing up between AU and wherever he lands.

Grad transfer LB McBryde couldn't play another year at AU for medical reasons but was cleared by SMU to play and is having a good season out there. Most of those who have transferred out are seldom noticed again.

6 hours ago, Zeek said:

I’m rather critical but most of our incoming transfers don’t really seem to ‘ball out’ at other places. Still, wish the best for him and it makes sense with the group we have coming. 

That’s because exposure to Gus ruins them forever. [/sarcasm]

1 hour ago, gravejd said:

This is the perfect example of why the transfer portal is a good thing. Good luck to you Marquis 

Yup, no need for him to waste away on the roster and never get to actually play the game he loves.

8 hours ago, Zeek said:

I’m rather critical but most of our incoming transfers don’t really seem to ‘ball out’ at other places. Still, wish the best for him and it makes sense with the group we have coming. 

Yeah Jalen Harris didn’t have a good season statistically either. His numbers looked the same as with us

4 minutes ago, provibe said:

From what I read on here, practice means nothing. Just put them on the field anyway and hope they do better in the game than they do in practice.

There are some players that just play better under the lights, just like there are workout/practice warriors

• 5 months later...

Why ex-Auburn WR Marquis McClain is still in search of new school

Posted Jun 05, 2020

By Matt Zenitz | mzenitz@al.com

Within a few weeks of entering the NCAA transfer portal, Marquis McClain was already on the verge of picking a new school.

Tulane.

The former Auburn wide receiver liked what he was hearing from Tulane coaches, enjoyed his visit to the campus and was all set to commit and become a member of the Green Wave.

It didn’t work out, though.

Issues getting accepted into graduate school at Tulane contributed to that opportunity falling through and led to McClain instead needing to find a different transfer destination.

It’s a process he’s still going through now — several months later.

“It’s been kind of surprising that it’s taken as long as it’s taken,” said McClain, who put his name into the transfer portal in early December. “I thought I’d already have a decision made and be ready to go and be ready to play in the spring or — if it wasn’t for the coronavirus thing — at least already be in school right now and getting ready for summer workouts. So it’s frustrating. It’s surprising."

While the 6-foot-2, 225-pound McClain created some buzz last spring at Auburn, the Florida native ended up receiving just limited playing time for a third straight year and finished his redshirt junior season with only one catch.

So he left, hoping and expecting to find a place where he would be in position to be a much bigger factor on offense.

That hasn’t gone as smoothly as expected, as has been the case for many players going through the transfer portal process.

In addition to Tulane, McClain was also intrigued early on with FAU, but that fell through when Lane Kiffin left FAU for Ole Miss.

It’s led to McClain having to explore other options, an ongoing process that he’s hoping will soon come to a close six months after originally entering the portal.

At this point, Alabama State, West Florida, Tennessee-Chattanooga, Eastern Kentucky, Northern Iowa, Southern and Jacksonville State are the main schools being considered.

“I knew I wanted to go somewhere a little smaller so I could ball,” McClain said. “The whole process for me when I talk to coaches now is all about opportunity. I’m not asking for a starting position. I’m just asking for an opportunity. I feel like that’s what I didn’t get at Auburn.”

• 3 weeks later...

link

Former Auburn receiver announces transfer destination

Marquis McClain has found a new home.

The former Auburn receiver, who entered the transfer portal last December, announced Wednesday via Twitter he is transferring to FCS Southern University in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.

A junior last season, McClain will have one year of eligibility remaining at Southern. He had only one catch last season and three receptions during his entire career with the Tigers.

McClain was rated a 3-star prospect in the class of 2016, according to the industry generated 247Sports Composite and 247Sports. Auburn signed four receivers that year, but only one player remains on campus: Eli Stove. He's entering his final season.

Nate Craig-Myers and Kyle Davis, both highly touted receiver prospects (each was at one time rated as a 5-star), left the Auburn program earlier in their careers.

Here's some background on McClain, courtesy of 247Sports' Brandon Marcello ....

McClain played in 10 games last year after participating in 14 and 13 games in 2017 and 2018, respectively.

Listed at 6-feet-2, 224-pounds, the backup had two receptions for 47 yards in 2017 but did not record another catch until his 37-yard reception in a 52-0 victory against FCS foe Samford in the second-to-last game of the 2019 regular season.

"I just want to say thank you. As an 18-year-old kid from Florida I've always had dreams of playing in the SEC. Thank you for accepting me and allowing me to be apart of the Auburn family. These four years have been unexplainable. I've learned and grown up so much. Auburn is honestly a special place and it will always have a special place in my heart. To all my teammates and coaches and to the fans that support me, thank you it means a lot to me. My time here is done and I will be entering my (name) in the transfer portal as a grad student."

Archived