December 24 I celebrate my 10th year on AUfamily

lost

8 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

What Gus does best is be a CEO Head Coach. He is really good at it. 

Trying not to be controversial, but do you have ANY evidence of this?  He hasn’t stepped away from being the play caller (OC) ever, even when he said he would.  There may have been spurts, like in the middle of 2017, but there really is no evidence of it.

32 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Trying not to be controversial, but do you have ANY evidence of this?  He hasn’t stepped away from being the play caller (OC) ever, even when he said he would.  There may have been spurts, like in the middle of 2017, but there really is no evidence of it.

I GOT YOU FAM!!! Ready?! OK!!! HERE WE GO! on 1, 2, 3 lol AWAY WE GOOOOOO...... He is a strong recruiter. Runs a clean program. Leader of men. Great Motivator. His guys lay it all out on the line for him every game and give it their all. Things have got really difficult a few times during these 7 years but they do not FLINCH in the face of adversity when it would just be easy to. Makes much needed strong hires on the defensive side of the ball when desperately needed. Delegates well on the defensive side of the ball. His players seem to really love him........... He has NOT stepped away from being a playcaller at all because that is all he has known is being a playcaller. You are right. He does not realize he is a really damn good CEO head coach because in his mind he still thinks of himself as a Sean Payton or Lincoln Riley and in that vein. I am just telling you what I see to be his biggest strengths and it is NOT as this offensive guru. If he could treat HIS side of the ball the way he does the defensive side............ that is when we would really take off. We would be unstoppable if he would hire a stud OC TRULY get out of the way and just let him do his thing and Gus can do what he does best which is.. SAY IT WITH ME NOW!!! CEO HEAD COACH!!!!! hahaha

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Most offensive head coaches design and call their own plays. That's why they get hired. Most defensive head coaches design and call their own defensive sets and theories. That's why they get hired. From Spurrier to Jimbo to Tuberville to Saban and the years in between, a head coach constantly "meddles" in the side of the ball he grew up with. If he doesn't, he's not doing what he is being paid to do.

I agree. Like I get it. I know these offensive "gurus" do all of that. BUT GUESS WHAT?! Too bad. After the dust has settled that is what he is best at after all these seven years. I do not see him being good at what he was hired to do. He is not the same offensive genius and juggernaut he used to be. He is stuck. He is stubborn and he refuses to adapt enough and modernize the passing game that will take us to the next level. I agreed at the time that is what he was hired to do but for right now his strongest attributes to us would be a CEO Head Coach because he has all the makings of a great one if he would just fully commit to it. The toughest part for these guys who design and call their own play and are married to their system on the offensive side of the ball is learning to be a actual Head Coach. Gus does that brilliantly. What he struggles at now is what he made his bones as when he was a OC and as a Head Coach in 13 and 14.

14 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I GOT YOU FAM!!! Ready?! OK!!! HERE WE GO! on 1, 2, 3 lol AWAY WE GOOOOOO...... He is a strong recruiter. Runs a clean program. Leader of men. Great Motivator. His guys lay it all out on the line for him every game and give it their all. Things have got really difficult a few times during these 7 years but they do not FLINCH in the face of adversity when it would just be easy to. Makes much needed strong hires on the defensive side of the ball when needed. Delegates well on the defensive side of the ball. His players seem to really love him........... He has NOT stepped away from being a playcaller at all because that is all he has known is being a playcaller. You are right. He does not realize he is a really fine CEO head coach because in his mind he still thinks of himself as a Sean Payton or Lincoln Riley. I am just telling you what I say. If he could treat HIS side of the ball the way he does the defensive side............ that is when we would really take off. We would be unstoppable if he would hire a stud OC TRULY get out of the way and just let him do his thing and Gus can do what he does best which is.. SAY IT WITH ME NOW!!! CEO HEAD COACH!!!!! 

I can see you point of view and agree that he does a good job at those points.  The ONE thing that he needs to do, as you have pointed out, is the ONE thing that has been his issue for 5 years and he can’t see it.  I doubt he has ever sought, much less agreed to, any type of self help in his entire life. It is the ONE thing that keeps him from being a great coach.

If he could see this, the *future would be bright*.

Just now, I_M4_AU said:

I can see you point of view and agree that he does a good job at those points.  The ONE thing that he needs to do, as you have pointed out, is the ONE thing that has been his issue for 5 years and he can’t see it.  I doubt he has ever sought, much less agreed to, any type of self help in his entire life. It is the ONE thing that keeps him from being a great coach.

If he could see this, the *future would be bright*.

HAHAH YES IT IS SO FRUSTRATING!!!!!!!!!! We are 1 step away from him figuring it all out and us taking that next step as a program and going on a historic run and BEING ELITE but we have been this 1 step away for years!! YOU ARE RIGHT!!! That is what makes him so frustrating because HE COULD BE GREAT! HE IS SO CLOSE! But you are right he is so freaking stubborn and just wants to keep running in to the brick wall doing the same thing over and over again. Ughhhhhhhhhhh I wish he could see how LSU took off when they totally modernized their passing offense and made it much more sophisticated buuuuuut......................... 

No way in hell he injects new ideas or a modern passing attack into his offense now. The Iron Bowl win only will have him stuck even further in his ways

If he wanted to get the most out of Bo he would modernize the offensive side of the ball

On 12/5/2019 at 5:03 PM, WarTim said:

16 + years for me. I got an empty PBR can from Golf on my tenth anniversary. 😎

You should feel lucky you only got ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

You should feel lucky you only got ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Believe me..... I do!!!

Archived