Pat Dye on F-Bomb

Mikey

10 hours ago, ellitor said:

What about the report from Philip Marshall that came out before the iron bowl that even if we got blasted Gus was likely safe? Nobody connected with the program refuted that at all so I assumed it was good info.

First, I don’t believe that PM has any valid connections left with the program. Even if he did, there is/was enough pressure by those in the know that if Gus were to lose (and look bad doing it), we were prepared with a replacement. That’s all I know. 

You’re right tho that nobody refuted him. I assumed it was because no one considers PM as an insider any more. 

oh well.  I’m moving on. War Eagle to all! Let’s go Citrusing! 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

First, I don’t believe that PM has any valid connections left with the program. Even if he did, there is/was enough pressure by those in the know that if Gus were to lose (and look bad doing it), we were prepared with a replacement. That’s all I know. 

You’re right tho that nobody refuted him. I assumed it was because no one considers PM as an insider any more. 

oh well. Like the guy in Love Actually holding the signs for the woman he loved...enough. I’m moving on. War Eagle to all! Let’s go Citrusing! 

Thanks, PTB. Sometimes when a definitive post is made in a Gospel-truth manner..."He's leaving if..." or ..."He's staying no matter what..." without attributing the source, it wreaks...and reeks.

Using instead I think, I believe, I feel, I read, I wonder, I intuit, I was told and the like all go far to eliminate confusion and minimize rumor. (And thread length...)

I'm learning that the ones who really have some inside info spill it cautiously and caveat-ly. It IS fluid. It may stay fluid. Some vacancies aren't filled yet. 

Meanwhile...geaux LSU and War Eagle always to our Tigahs! 

40 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

From an old 2013 article, post-Lowder, just an excerpt...mathematically speaking, what are your thoughts on what to expect of his influence in 2020, and isn't he one of the ones who reportedly, most ardently, wants a change? 

"Auburn University's Board of Trustees unanimously elected Trustee James Rane today to lead the board in the coming year.

Rane, who serves as chairman, president and CEO of Great Southern Wood Preserving Inc., has served on the board since 1999. He was reappointed to a second seven-year term in 2012..."

Any speculation on what someone else is thinking is, is just that, speculation. Auburn plays an Alabama type schedule next year with Alcorn State, North Carolina, Southern Miss, Kentucky and UMASS all coming to town along with the Mississippi schools looking weak. I have seen numerous post that Auburn needs to win 10 games next year and beat either Georgia or LSU along with beating Alabama in Tuscaloosa and if they don't Gus would be right back on the Hot Seat. I personally think that if he wins one of those three and wins 9 he will be OKAY. But I do believe one thing. If Mr Rane had decided the Iron Bowl would be Malzhan's last game beat Alabama or not, we would be talking about who his replacement is going to be instead of winning the Iron bowl saving his job.

5 minutes ago, Auburn1954 said:

Any speculation on what someone else is thinking is, is just that, speculation. Auburn plays an Alabama type schedule next year with Alcorn State, North Carolina, Southern Miss, Kentucky and UMASS all coming to town along with the Mississippi schools looking weak. I have seen numerous post that Auburn needs to win 10 games next year and beat either Georgia or LSU along with beating Alabama in Tuscaloosa and if they don't Gus would be right back on the Hot Seat. I personally think that if he wins one of those three and wins 9 he will be OKAY. But I do believe one thing. If Mr Rane had decided the Iron Bowl would be Malzhan's last game beat Alabama or not, we would be talking about who his replacement is going to be instead of winning the Iron bowl saving his job.

So, feeling as he reportedly does, he allowed himself to be swayed by the handful, even as chair, based on the IB results, costs involved etc.? Just trying to get a handle on his actual affections, allegiance, actions. Thanks, 1954!

2 hours ago, ToraGirl said:

So, feeling as he reportedly does, he allowed himself to be swayed by the handful, even as chair, based on the IB results, costs involved etc.? Just trying to get a handle on his actual affections, allegiance, actions. Thanks, 1954!

It would just be more speculation. There are too many people on here trying be sleuths instead of getting behind the whole team to win this next ball game. Regardless, the commander and chief of sports at Auburn is Allen Greene and he has my full support to lead that department. 

35 minutes ago, creed said:

It would just be more speculation. There are too many people on here trying be sleuths instead of getting behind the whole team to win this next ball game. Regardless, the commander and chief of sports at Auburn is Allen Greene and he has my full support to lead that department. 

That's good, creed. On that we agree. It's not speculation at all to know that he might think and do differently past year one as CC. That's John Maxwell. 

4 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

You’re right tho that nobody refuted him. I assumed it was because no one considers PM as an insider any more

Thanks biscuit hater. LOL

4 hours ago, ToraGirl said:

Using instead I think, I believe, I feel, I read, I wonder, I intuit, I was told and the like all go far to eliminate confusion and minimize rumor. (And thread length...)

Just be aware @ToraGirl Sometimes when posting info from other sources when they say something is definitive if it’s behind a pay wall it’s still going to seem cloudy for those who don’t have access to see what was behind a pay wall. I guess I can use the word supposedly more often in such situations. I just felt so defeated when Phillips article came out and no one connected to the program refuted it that I didn’t bother to put in supposedly

53 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Just be aware @ToraGirl Sometimes when posting info from other sources when they say something is definitive if it’s behind a pay wall it’s still going to seem cloudy for those who don’t have access to see what was behind a pay wall. I guess I can use the word supposedly more often in such situations. I just felt so defeated when Phillips article came out and no one connected to the program refuted it that I didn’t bother to put in supposedly

No one understands how much it matters to have hope in something as you describe. We're beyond accepting things at face value, given seven years of observation.  "Just hush and get behind the coach" is asking too much. Hope is huge if one's going to ask for continued support. It can't be mandated and won't be demanded. Buy-in must be EARNED. I appreciate you sharing this. 

5 hours ago, ToraGirl said:

I'm learning that the ones who really have some inside info spill it cautiously and caveat-ly.

tenor.gif

57 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

No one understands how much it matters to have hope in something as you describe. We're beyond accepting things at face value, given seven years of observation.  "Just hush and get behind the coach" is asking too much. Hope is huge if one's going to ask for continued support. It can't be mandated and won't be demanded. Buy-in must be EARNED. I appreciate you sharing this. 

It's not about getting behind the coach, it's about getting behind the TEAM, which includes everyone all the way down to equipment managers. Then let the guy in charge, Allen Greene, do his job. My JOB, as a fan, is to get behind the team. 

To add to this i consider myself, a fan, a part of the team.

26 minutes ago, creed said:

It's not about getting behind the coach, it's about getting behind the TEAM, which includes everyone all the way down to equipment managers. Then let the guy in charge, Allen Greene, do his job. My JOB, as a fan, is to get behind the team. 

That's good, creed. War Eagle! 

charlene.jpg

6 hours ago, creed said:

This guy gets it. Some here would have Greene fire a coach who just won 9 or 10 games (bowl game) and beat the rival team's coach who happens to be considered the GOAT by many. Then they expect a bonafide, proven, big name coach to leave some place they are having success at (because if they weren't no one would want them) to come here and deal with the SEC West gauntlet we have every year knowing that besides recruiting against some of the top programs in the country you'll also have to do better than win the West division twice and the conference once in 7 years or you are gone regardless of record. I'm not so sure that's a viable, realistic expectation. But hey, I could be wrong.

10 hours ago, AuJoe said:

Then they expect a bonafide, proven, big name coach to leave some place they are having success at (because if they weren't no one would want them) to come here and deal with the SEC West gauntlet we have every year knowing that besides recruiting against some of the top programs in the country you'll also have to do better than win the West division twice and the conference once in 7 years or you are gone regardless of record.

So, why would Gus want to stay if this is the case.  Couldn’t he just find an easier conference and/or team to coach?  Ohhh, it’s the money he is getting, that’s the ticket, if you DEMAND more money the party paying the money should DEMAND better results.  Isn’t that how the world works?

As to the big name coach leaving some place they are having success; Auburn is a place that can provide a *big name* coach to be even a *bigger name* coach. It’s all about the want in that coach.  If a coach is afraid of our schedule and afraid of coach against the best coaches in the country, why would be want him?

14 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

So, why would Gus want to stay if this is the case.  Couldn’t he just find an easier conference and/or team to coach?  Ohhh, it’s the money he is getting, that’s the ticket, if you DEMAND more money the party paying the money should DEMAND better results.  Isn’t that how the world works?

As to the big name coach leaving some place they are having success; Auburn is a place that can provide a *big name* coach to be even a *bigger name* coach. It’s all about the want in that coach.  If a coach is afraid of our schedule and afraid of coach against the best coaches in the country, why would be want him?

I'm sure the money is why I would stay as long as I could. It could also be that like he has said many times, he loves it here. He wouldn't be the first coach at Auburn that liked it here so much that even after they were fired they didn't immediately (or ever) move away and stayed living here, i.e. Dye, Chizik, Tuberville. That I know, he has never complained about the competition or the work. On the contrary, he has on several occasions mentioned that he likes the fact that this is the toughest division in the toughest conference. At any rate, I'm not sure why the conversation is heading this way, Gus (that I know of) has never complained about this job or the pressures and demands that come with it.

Now, about demanding better results, absolutely we should be demanding better results. I don't think I mentioned anywhere in my post that we shouldn't. All I talked about was the folks that want to get rid of Gus right now, even after he just beat Saban and Alabama (which also killed their CFP hopes) and after a year where he only lost to the 1st, 5th and 9th ranked teams and beat the 6th and 13th ranked teams. All with a true freshman QB, which, if you ask me, had a lot to do with the losses to the 1st, 5th and 9th ranked teams as well as the wins over the 6th and 13th ranked teams with lots of help from the defense, also. Freshman usually = up and down. Not to mention, we were in all those games, yes, even the Georgia game. And please, any nutcases out there, don't give me that "Kirby let Auburn score in the 4th just so they wouldn't fire Gus" crap. Anyone who believes that...well, I don't even know what to say to you except maybe suggest you seek some help.

Most coaches, especially any coach worth hiring, does not have a problem with taking on a demanding job with high expectations. My point/suggestion was that if Auburn was to do like some on here desire and get rid of Gus after this year (which I know is in no way going to happen) then even the most able, confident and desired coach would probably come to the realization that the powers that be in Auburn have unrealistic expectations and would probably stay where they are or go somewhere else where the expectations are based in reality.

Now, since you asked all the questions and I had to take all this time elaborating on my point, I have to ask...are you one of those folks that wants to get rid of Gus right now (meaning now, today or at the end of this season/bowl game/this minute) or prior to next season?

On 12/7/2019 at 9:59 AM, Mikey said:

Probably, but this team wasn't hammered to that extent by any other opponent. If LSU couldn't do it in Baton Rouge the likelihood of UAT beating AU at home by something like 38-14 was extremely small.

The only likelihood that was smaller was what actually happened- our offense playing competently for most of a game against a fellow big 6 SEC opponent. Had they played like they had in other such games, 38-14 is actually very close to what the score would have looked like. 

8 hours ago, AuJoe said:

I'm not sure why the conversation is heading this way,

It headed this way because in your OP you questioned why anyone would want the job at Auburn.  I just was trying to point out the Auburn is not that bad of a place and has great potential for any coach to take us to the next level.  I was a little surprised you don’t, but that is the argument of people that want Gus to stay and us being a perennial 8-4 team.

8 hours ago, AuJoe said:

even after he just beat Saban and Alabama (which also killed their CFP hopes) and after a year where he only lost to the 1st, 5th and 9th ranked teams and beat the 6th and 13th ranked teams. All with a true freshman QB, which, if you ask me, had a lot to do with the losses to the 1st, 5th and 9th ranked teams as well as the wins over the 6th and 13th ranked teams with lots of help from the defense, also. Freshman usually = up and down. Not to mention, we were in all those games, yes, even the Georgia game. And please, any nutcases out there, don't give me that "Kirby let Auburn score in the 4th just so they wouldn't fire Gus" crap. Anyone who believes that...well, I don't even know what to say to you except maybe suggest you seek some help.

This statement puts you in the Gus Apologist group as there is always a reason for Gus not to succeed at Auburn and after his unsustainable start 7 years ago.  I say unsustainable because he hasn’t done that even though he made an appearance in the NC game his first year.  Chizik took two years and was also unsustainable.  I will say Gus is recruiting better, but most of the reason there is an apology is because of lapses in recruiting at certain positions (QB, RB and OL). This seems to affect the offense only, weird, I know.

9 hours ago, AuJoe said:

Auburn have unrealistic expectations and would probably stay where they are or go somewhere else where the expectations are based in reality.

Is is unrealistic to *compete* for the SEC West Championship every year?  I guarantee that is what he team’s expectations are, it doesn’t happen every year, but that is the expectations. If the expectation is not that then let that coach go to Vanderbilt or Arkansas.

9 hours ago, AuJoe said:

I have to ask...are you one of those folks that wants to get rid of Gus right now (meaning now, today or at the end of this season/bowl game/this minute) or prior to next season?

I am a person that would like to have a new coach and realize that my feelings are not going to happen unless the BOT, PTB and Alan Greene agree.  I believe Gus is not the coach to get us to the next level and I don’t want to wait until the team falls apart and we have a disastrous season.  This would give the new coach a good base to start with and would improve our chance of getting a *big name* coach to commit to Auburn in spite of *some* people’s attitude about the Auburn coaching job.

I want what is best for Auburn, always.  I am extremely happy we beat Bama and will be sitting in front of the TV on New Year’s day as we take on U on Minnesota. 

9 hours ago, AuJoe said:

I'm sure the money is why I would stay as long as I could. It could also be that like he has said many times, he loves it here. He wouldn't be the first coach at Auburn that liked it here so much that even after they were fired they didn't immediately (or ever) move away and stayed living here, i.e. Dye, Chizik, Tuberville. That I know, he has never complained about the competition or the work. On the contrary, he has on several occasions mentioned that he likes the fact that this is the toughest division in the toughest conference. At any rate, I'm not sure why the conversation is heading this way, Gus (that I know of) has never complained about this job or the pressures and demands that come with it.

Now, about demanding better results, absolutely we should be demanding better results. I don't think I mentioned anywhere in my post that we shouldn't. All I talked about was the folks that want to get rid of Gus right now, even after he just beat Saban and Alabama (which also killed their CFP hopes) and after a year where he only lost to the 1st, 5th and 9th ranked teams and beat the 6th and 13th ranked teams. All with a true freshman QB, which, if you ask me, had a lot to do with the losses to the 1st, 5th and 9th ranked teams as well as the wins over the 6th and 13th ranked teams with lots of help from the defense, also. Freshman usually = up and down. Not to mention, we were in all those games, yes, even the Georgia game. And please, any nutcases out there, don't give me that "Kirby let Auburn score in the 4th just so they wouldn't fire Gus" crap. Anyone who believes that...well, I don't even know what to say to you except maybe suggest you seek some help.

Most coaches, especially any coach worth hiring, does not have a problem with taking on a demanding job with high expectations. My point/suggestion was that if Auburn was to do like some on here desire and get rid of Gus after this year (which I know is in no way going to happen) then even the most able, confident and desired coach would probably come to the realization that the powers that be in Auburn have unrealistic expectations and would probably stay where they are or go somewhere else where the expectations are based in reality.

Now, since you asked all the questions and I had to take all this time elaborating on my point, I have to ask...are you one of those folks that wants to get rid of Gus right now (meaning now, today or at the end of this season/bowl game/this minute) or prior to next season?

Some people are fine with things the way they are.  Oh, they'll say they want change, but when the same product (+-1)  gets a 'jury's-still-out' extension every year, they don't really mean it.  What they really want is for Gus to stay and be better.  Hate to be the one to break the bad news, but that's hoping for changes that aren't coming.   

I'm thinking Gus makes no staff changes this off-season (unless someone quits) because he 'feels' the program is finally getting to where it needs to be.  We're just a season away from legendary football greatness, no doubt.   :-\    

As everyone knows, I'm one of those who would see him gone today.  I'm pretty certain we've been getting what he's able to give.   

How long before being Richt-Rolled gets old for you?  Will 8 seasons be enough?  9?   

11 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

It headed this way because in your OP you questioned why anyone would want the job at Auburn.  I just was trying to point out the Auburn is not that bad of a place and has great potential for any coach to take us to the next level.  I was a little surprised you don’t, but that is the argument of people that want Gus to stay and us being a perennial 8-4 team.

Perhaps you should practice a little more reading comprehension then because my point, my entire point, my only reason for writing the original post was to point out that IF WE FIRE GUS RIGHT NOW AFTER THIS SEASON, it would be very difficult, almost impossible to hire a legit, bona fide, in high demand coaching candidate that most teams would want. I also repeated as much in my first reply to your post. I really hope you can understand it this third time because I'm about to get where I'm going to give up on you if you can't understand and/or keep ignoring that very key part of my original post. I said nothing about just the desirability of the job. There is no question that this is a highly desirable job so long as we don't fire coaches after they don't win the conference or national championship but win 9-10 games with several top 10 wins especially against your rival which also happens to be lead by the winningest coach of recent times. I'm sure I don't need to point out to you that THIS YEAR we have won 9 (>8) and maybe 10 games. If you disagree then that's fine, just say you disagree and we'll agree to disagree but please don't bastardize what I'm saying either on purpose or by accident just to try and get your point across because it invalidates your whole argument and is dishonest to say the least.

This statement puts you in the Gus Apologist group as there is always a reason for Gus not to succeed at Auburn and after his unsustainable start 7 years ago.  I say unsustainable because he hasn’t done that even though he made an appearance in the NC game his first year.  Chizik took two years and was also unsustainable.  I will say Gus is recruiting better, but most of the reason there is an apology is because of lapses in recruiting at certain positions (QB, RB and OL). This seems to affect the offense only, weird, I know

So now I'm a Gus apologist just because I give reasons to substantiate my original points about how I think it would be a mistake to fire Gus right now. Boy you sure do like to contort your arguments. Watch out everybody on this board, you better not point out anything about Gus or Auburn's records or you might be an apologist. I just pointed out real facts. Tell me what part of what I stated is untrue. Also, tell me exactly where I was apologizing for Gus, please do. You can't just ignore the positives because you want a different outcome.

Is is unrealistic to *compete* for the SEC West Championship every year?  I guarantee that is what he team’s expectations are, it doesn’t happen every year, but that is the expectations. If the expectation is not that then let that coach go to Vanderbilt or Arkansas.

Again, you appear to be pulling something out of your nether regions because this is way out of context to what I said. You are being dishonest in your conversation. Really sad that you have to go at it that way because you can't counter anything honestly. Like I said, if you disagree just say it and we'll agree to disagree but pulling text out of context is dishonest and weakens and invalidates your argument. Very disheartening to see that from a fellow Auburn fan/supporter.

12 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

I am a person that would like to have a new coach and realize that my feelings are not going to happen unless the BOT, PTB and Alan Greene agree.  I believe Gus is not the coach to get us to the next level and I don’t want to wait until the team falls apart and we have a disastrous season.  This would give the new coach a good base to start with and would improve our chance of getting a *big name* coach to commit to Auburn in spite of *some* people’s attitude about the Auburn coaching job.

On this last point you may want to prepare yourself for some major disappointment. That I recall, Auburn has never fired a coach with a winning record, ever. It unequivocally will not happen this year and if we have a similar record next year it won't happen then either.

Now, I'll make this easy on you. We'll agree to disagree. I really don't want to continue this pointless argument with you especially since you can't seem to understand my point or counter anything I said honestly and without pulling parts of what I said out of context. I had a teacher once who used to say "Brute force is unreasonable but brute reasoning is unbearable." Conversation with you is getting unbearable and not very fun either.

22 hours ago, AURealist said:

Some people are fine with things the way they are.  Oh, they'll say they want change, but when the same product (+-1)  gets a 'jury's-still-out' extension every year, they don't really mean it.  What they really want is for Gus to stay and be better.  Hate to be the one to break the bad news, but that's hoping for changes that aren't coming.   

I'm thinking Gus makes no staff changes this off-season (unless someone quits) because he 'feels' the program is finally getting to where it needs to be.  We're just a season away from legendary football greatness, no doubt.   :-\    

As everyone knows, I'm one of those who would see him gone today.  I'm pretty certain we've been getting what he's able to give.   

How long before being Richt-Rolled gets old for you?  Will 8 seasons be enough?  9?   

AURealist, my statement only deals with this year. Not arguing about any other years or extensions or anything like that. I just think (my opinion) that it would not be a good look to fire a coach after he goes 9 - 10 wins and beats top 10 teams and only loses to higher ranked top 10 teams. Included in this is beating your in-state rival that happens to be coached by whom some consider the GOAT coach and a perennial football playoff team. Not to mention, the only reason said team did not make the CFP was the loss to Auburn and Gus. Make no mistake, Alabama beats Auburn and they are in the CFP without a doubt. Also to consider is the fact that the coach you wish to dump owns 3 wins against the GOAT coach. While 3 of 7 is not a stellar % it is leaps and bounds better than the record against Saban from just about any other coach in college football not named Dabo Sweeney who's also working on a GOAT status of his own.

I'm not talking about what will happen next year or changes or anything like that. I think if we win 7 games or less next year Gus is probably gone. 8 wins and it could go either way depending on who we lose to. 9 or more wins probably keeps Gus here for another year unless we are not competitive against Bama, LSU and the leg-humpers. A win against Bama and/or Georgia might keep him here with 8 wins next year since both games are on the road. I'm not telling you what I want, I'm telling you what I think. What I want is irrelevant. Do I think he should be gone this year? With how this year went, absolutely not. I think it would be a very bad look for Auburn. That's the point of my whole argument. Now next year is next year, ask me then.

Also, looks like Gus will not have a choice but to make at least one staff change at OC. The tell will be if he promotes from inside or goes out to get someone. If he promotes Burns from inside then we can probably surmise that nothing will change and depending on the record next year, Gus may be gone. If he goes outside then there is a chance that some changes may come. I wish we would make a change at O-line coaching myself. The O-line hasn't improved in the last few years and were really bad at run blocking and never improved consistently. We also need someone who is a better recruiter at that spot IMO. I def don't disagree that some staff changes need to be made but, like you, I'm not sure they will.

As for Richt-Rolled. How is that working out for Georgia? What have they got now that they did not have when Mark Richt was there? If it weren't for the CFP (which did not exist when Richt was coach or they didn't qualify) then they would not even have had a shot at the National Championship game in 2017. It most likely would've been #1 Clemson vs #2 Oklahoma playing for the Natty with #3 Georgia and #4 Alabama outside looking in and I'm not so certain Alabama would not have been picked over Georgia if there was an open slot. I have a buddy who is a big Georgia supporter and this has not gone un-noticed by them. He was the one that pointed all this out to me. Couple that with unfathomable losses like the one to SC this year and folks there are starting to have doubts. They are saying that Richt had a very similar record only he wasn't averaging a 2.4 class ranking in recruiting so he did it with less. They are starting to feel that their window of opportunity is starting to close with Florida getting much better and even Tennessee starting to improve and get competitive while they stay the same or regress. All I know is so-sad-too-bad for them.

Bottom line, I don't think getting rid of Gus this year would make any big-time coach want to jump at the Auburn job, especially one we would want. On that point, you and I definitely do not agree but I do see your points.

1 hour ago, AuJoe said:

AURealist, my statement only deals with this year. Not arguing about any other years or extensions or anything like that. I just think (my opinion) that it would not be a good look to fire a coach after he goes 9 - 10 wins and beats top 10 teams and only loses to higher ranked top 10 teams. Included in this is beating your in-state rival that happens to be coached by whom some consider the GOAT coach and a perennial football playoff team. Not to mention, the only reason said team did not make the CFP was the loss to Auburn and Gus. Make no mistake, Alabama beats Auburn and they are in the CFP without a doubt. Also to consider is the fact that the coach you wish to dump owns 3 wins against the GOAT coach. While 3 of 7 is not a stellar % it is leaps and bounds better than the record against Saban from just about any other coach in college football not named Dabo Sweeney who's also working on a GOAT status of his own.

I'm not talking about what will happen next year or changes or anything like that. I think if we win 7 games or less next year Gus is probably gone. 8 wins and it could go either way depending on who we lose to. 9 or more wins probably keeps Gus here for another year unless we are not competitive against Bama, LSU and the leg-humpers. A win against Bama and/or Georgia might keep him here with 8 wins next year since both games are on the road. I'm not telling you what I want, I'm telling you what I think. What I want is irrelevant. Do I think he should be gone this year? With how this year went, absolutely not. I think it would be a very bad look for Auburn. That's the point of my whole argument. Now next year is next year, ask me then.

Also, looks like Gus will not have a choice but to make at least one staff change at OC. The tell will be if he promotes from inside or goes out to get someone. If he promotes Burns from inside then we can probably surmise that nothing will change and depending on the record next year, Gus may be gone. If he goes outside then there is a chance that some changes may come. I wish we would make a change at O-line coaching myself. The O-line hasn't improved in the last few years and were really bad at run blocking and never improved consistently. We also need someone who is a better recruiter at that spot IMO. I def don't disagree that some staff changes need to be made but, like you, I'm not sure they will.

As for Richt-Rolled. How is that working out for Georgia? What have they got now that they did not have when Mark Richt was there? If it weren't for the CFP (which did not exist when Richt was coach or they didn't qualify) then they would not even have had a shot at the National Championship game in 2017. It most likely would've been #1 Clemson vs #2 Oklahoma playing for the Natty with #3 Georgia and #4 Alabama outside looking in and I'm not so certain Alabama would not have been picked over Georgia if there was an open slot. I have a buddy who is a big Georgia supporter and this has not gone un-noticed by them. He was the one that pointed all this out to me. Couple that with unfathomable losses like the one to SC this year and folks there are starting to have doubts. They are saying that Richt had a very similar record only he wasn't averaging a 2.4 class ranking in recruiting so he did it with less. They are starting to feel that their window of opportunity is starting to close with Florida getting much better and even Tennessee starting to improve and get competitive while they stay the same or regress. All I know is so-sad-too-bad for them.

Bottom line, I don't think getting rid of Gus this year would make any big-time coach want to jump at the Auburn job, especially one we would want. On that point, you and I definitely do not agree but I do see your points.

I hear ya.  Firing a guy who only loses against the best in his conference is hard to get rid of when he's got 9 wins.  I'll try to remember this conversation and ask you what you think after next season when we once again are out of contention and playing in the Outback bowl after 9 wins and then the year after when we're set to play in the Liberty bowl after 8 wins.  Can't promise, though.  Maybe playing perennial spoiler is enough?  

On a broader view:  

I'm from Georgia, so I know a lot of uga fans.  The jury seems to still be out for them on Smart.  They like kicking our butts, but are, as you say, wary of the UF resurgence.  None that I know miss Richt, though.  I guess they accept it was a gamble for something better.  Sure, UGA lost to USCe, but it's not like we didn't lose to a pathetic Tennessee last season.  BTW:  Looks like Matt Luke may be joining, not our offensive staff, but UGA's.  So the UGA O line may be getting an upgrade we sorely need.  At least Kirby seems open to making substantive changes. 

I admit I'm a hard case.  The contract extension removed all affection/affinity I might have had for Gus Malzahn.  So the sooner he's gone, the better I'll like it.  Damn the torpedoes.  

11 hours ago, AuJoe said:

Perhaps you should practice a little more reading comprehension then because my point, my entire point, my only reason for writing the original post was to point out that IF WE FIRE GUS RIGHT NOW AFTER THIS SEASON,

This is the favorite come back of the fans that love Gus, but when you put a post on the board no one is required to stay in the strict confines of your OP.  It’s called a discussion.  After Gus beat Bama I don’t think the PTB are going to replace Gus this year and unless he decides to leave he will be out coach next year.  I’m not arguing that, I’m just giving my opinion why I believe Gus is not the coach to take Auburn to the next level.  Evidently you can’t handle that.

So now I'm a Gus apologist just because I give reasons to substantiate my original points about how I think it would be a mistake to fire Gus right now

No, you’re an apologist because you defend Gus for losing the 3 games, in your opinion, because of a Freshman QB.  Who was responsible for recruiting a qualified QB for the last 7 years?  Why would an offensive genius not have a qualified QB on his roster after 7 years of being the head coach.  Same goes for the Oline.  If you broaden your thinking and understand what a poster is saying you might understand the other poster’s point.

That I recall, Auburn has never fired a coach with a winning record, ever. It unequivocally will not happen this year and if we have a similar record next year it won't happen then either.

This statement is correct, however, times are changing and keep doing what we have done for the last 30 years is not a thinking person’s defense.  UGA and LSU recently fired a coach with a winning record and both of those schools were in the SECCG this year.  Hmmmm.  Maybe it’s the time to rethink that certain paradigm.  Again, this is outside the box, but valid.

I had a teacher once who used to say "Brute force is unreasonable but brute reasoning is unbearable." Conversation with you is getting unbearable and not very fun either

Evidently, you have not taken your teacher’s to heart.  If you can’t see someone else’s point of view, isn’t that brute reasoning?

2 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Evidently, you have not taken your teacher’s to heart.  If you can’t see someone else’s point of view, isn’t that brute reasoning?

I know I said I wasn't going to continue this conversation with you because you were dishonest but I feel I need to answer this part. Taking someone else's statements out of context so you can then respond to them as if they said something they did not is not having a different point of view, it's just being dishonest. So whatever dude, bless your heart. War Eagle.

19 minutes ago, AuJoe said:

I know I said I wasn't going to continue this conversation with you because you were dishonest but I feel I need to answer this part. Taking someone else's statements out of context so you can then respond to them as if they said something they did not is not having a different point of view, it's just being dishonest. So whatever dude, bless your heart. War Eagle.

Is “agree to disagree” out of context?  Talk about dishonest......

Archived