Gatewood

bigbird

22 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Our QB recruiting has been mostly abysmal with only the occasional legit guy. 

Queen, Barrett, Willis, Franklin... There have been some head scratchers. 

Yep....but I think we really have issues getting the guys we want and eventually settle for who we can get. 

But that goes back a long way and does not seem much better....or worse.    Signing Bo and JG was probably be best QB recruiting by an AU coach in a long time.   Mostly we seem to just get by with the guys we can sign....and depend on RBs to get the job done.  The fact that BN broke a bunch of freshman QB records with relatively modest stats kind of tells us what the history has been.....and probably why AU was known for RBU so many years. 

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

It is amazing that very few of transfers under Gus have made significant contributions at their next stop

Didn’t Frazier make a conference championship game for the high school team he transferred to?

2 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I wish he was going to be surrounded with more talent. I also wish he went juco so he could get some sorely needed game reps. Kid hasn't been a full time starter in half a decade. I'm pulling for him big time though.

I hear you, but on the positive side, he might be another Dak Prescott if he wins the starting job there. I feel like Dak actually benefited from being on a less talented team where he was the engine of the offense. Cam is a better QB and had more talent around him, but there was still barely any NFL talent on that offense. Benny Snell was that guy for Kentucky. Dude had enough carries to make Gus and Tim Horton blush. Anyway, I'm hoping that Joey being a big fish in a small pond can offset the low ceiling of his offense. If he wins the job.  (Disclaimer for all the h8terz! :laugh:)

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I hear you, but on the positive side, he might be another Dak Prescott if he wins the starting job there. I feel like Dak actually benefited from being on a less talented team where he was the engine of the offense. Cam is a better QB and had more talent around him, but there was still barely any NFL talent on that offense. Benny Snell was that guy for Kentucky. Dude had enough carries to make Gus and Tim Horton blush. Anyway, I'm hoping that Joey being a big fish in a small pond can offset the low ceiling of his offense. If he wins the job.  (Disclaimer for all the h8terz! :laugh:)

Good point. I'll  be keeping a close eye on the Kentucky program in 2021 that's for sure. I hope Stoops is still there and he won't have to win over a new coach.

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Yep....but I think we really have issues getting the guys we want and eventually settle for who we can get. 

But that goes back a long way and does not seem much better....or worse.    Signing Bo and JG was probably be best QB recruiting by an AU coach in a long time.   Mostly we seem to just get by with the guys we can sign....and depend on RBs to get the job done.  The fact that BN broke a bunch of freshman QB records with relatively modest stats kind of tells us what the history has been.....and probably why AU was known for RBU so many years. 

Bo and Joey are definitely a different story. That's as good a class as you can hope for. I hope it's a sign of what's to come. And I'm very happy with the guys we have committed in the next couple classes, especially with the Morris kid showing some interest.

As for the past, I can't speak intelligently on how we ended up with any of them except Franklin. I do think that we placed some emphasis on him, and I think Gus really wanted to make him a starter. That was a major miss. To be fair and to your point, we also went after Davis Webb, and that would've been a home run. Not sure about Barrett. At least he was rated a 4*. Willis might've fit the fallback description. Queen was a long time ago. 

20 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Bo and Joey are definitely a different story. That's as good a class as you can hope for. I hope it's a sign of what's to come. And I'm very happy with the guys we have committed in the next couple classes, especially with the Morris kid showing some interest.

As for the past, I can't speak intelligently on how we ended up with any of them except Franklin. I do think that we placed some emphasis on him, and I think Gus really wanted to make him a starter. That was a major miss. To be fair and to your point, we also went after Davis Webb, and that would've been a home run. Not sure about Barrett. At least he was rated a 4*. Willis might've fit the fallback description. Queen was a long time ago. 

Franklin was probably an attempt to find another Nick Marshall....did not work out.  JMO but the most problematic and interesting  QB situation was Sean White.....if the guy could have stayed healthy I think our record against some of our rivals would look different.   He was modestly recruited until he did well at a QB camp and when he was 100% he looked very good....but just too many issues...health and otherwise. ...one of the biggest "could have been" players that I can remember.  

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Franklin was probably an attempt to find another Nick Marshall....did not work out.  JMO but the most problematic and interesting  QB situation was Sean White.....if the guy could have stayed healthy I think our record against some of our rivals would look different.   He was modestly recruited until he did well at a QB camp and when he was 100% he looked very good....but just too many issues...health and otherwise. ...one of the biggest "could have been" players that I can remember.  

Completely agree. It will always bother me that he had his health and off-field issues because I think the general perception of his abilities is way off and he blew his chance to prove otherwise. And absolutely, we would have been much better late in 2015 and for all of 2016. (And maybe 2017, but maybe we still recruit Stidham...)

13 hours ago, ToraGirl said:

This Wanda. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

download (6).jpeg

Because you can never have enough.

5eb746e88d7b7e789e3929c26acc0124.jpg

ce7d733d76ef614d42430278f6702930.jpg

hxnly.jpg

1gnun0.jpg

And finally, piece of trivia...Jim Carrey got his start as Wanda, too..."In Living Color." Those Wayans!!  🤣🤣🤣😁😁😁

wanda-in-living-color-meme-68361-pixhd-53140133.png

2 hours ago, alexava said:

I don’t know. I only remember Joey visiting UK.  I didn’t see any other news about interest from anyone else..

I see, thanks. Maybe that’s what happens when I assume.

44 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

I see, thanks. Maybe that’s what happens when I assume.

I’m sure there were others but mid season portal recruiting is kinda new and probably not covered very strongly. Also a desire for privacy on both teams and players. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Queen was a long time ago. 

Speaking of a long time ago busts...what ever became of Zeke Pike?

Edit - Apparently he's scheduled to play in the XFL for Houston and this article was written about him in 2016...what a wild ride.

https://www.si.com/college/2016/12/26/zeke-pike-auburn-tigers-louisville-cardinals

8 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Speaking of a long time ago busts...what ever became of Zeke Pike?

Edit - Apparently he's scheduled to play in the XFL for Houston and this article was written about him in 2016...what a wild ride.

https://www.si.com/college/2016/12/26/zeke-pike-auburn-tigers-louisville-cardinals

That's a lot of second and third and eighth chances that a lot of people don't get. Hope he can stay on the path. 

Funny you bring him up because I often have to pause and make sure I'm actually thinking about Queen/Pike and not Pike/Queen. 

38 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

That's a lot of second and third and eighth chances that a lot of people don't get. Hope he can stay on the path. 

Funny you bring him up because I often have to pause and make sure I'm actually thinking about Queen/Pike and not Pike/Queen. 

Imagine how aggravating that must be for Queen.

I wish Joey the best. I'm sorry that Gus didn't allow you more playing time this year. I hope we're not scheduled to play Kentucky over the next 3 years.

I wish JG lots of luck besides when he plays vs Auburn.  I still think Gus made the right choice of Bo over Joey and I seriously belive Bo is NFL caliber vs Joey being an amazing athlete.  

5 hours ago, AU64 said:

JMO but the most problematic and interesting  QB situation was Sean White.....if the guy could have stayed healthy I think our record against some of our rivals would look different.   He was modestly recruited until he did well at a QB camp and when he was 100% he looked very good....but just too many issues...health and otherwise. ...one of the biggest "could have been" players that I can remember.

giphy.gif

Giving Queen the scholly that could've went to Lamar (not hindsight, even at the TIME. Look at Gus's system to that point, then look at what Lamar could do) then asking JF3 to be the next Nick is probably where most coaches should've been completely re-evaluated

I don't see what's so interesting or hard to believe.....you're against the grain if you transfer that's why you'll find more horror than success stories....how much do you think you will hear of Bo if he left to go play for vandy or south c? It's not hard. Transferring isn't ideal. You have to be extremely talented to work in several systems

16 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I don't see what's so interesting or hard to believe.....you're against the grain if you transfer that's why you'll find more horror than success stories....how much do you think you will hear of Bo if he left to go play for vandy or south c? It's not hard. Transferring isn't ideal. You have to be extremely talented to work in several systems

You confused me there Cole, I think it's real interesting. At least for how Kentucky looks at the moment I think JG can hop in there and be a star for them. Hell, I'll actually be watching a few of their games now.

I mean, there's no telling how much his passing game will improve, but dude is a hell of an athlete and Kentucky seems to love that at QB position.

Either way, I think it's the most interesting transfer out we've had in years.

23 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

It is amazing that very few of transfers under Gus have made significant contributions at their next stop, and its not just QBs. I just noticed that Antwuan Jackson is a non contributor on the DL and just got moved to the O line. 

Yeah, that one was a head scratcher for sure. 

On 12/5/2019 at 5:49 PM, bigbird said:

Going to UK...

Guess we finally get to see what he can do next year

Awful decision. Should have seriously given UF a long hard look or gone outside of the SEC somewhere. He might shine there but they’ll still go 7-5 or 8-4 at best. Yeah we do that often but we’re typically more relevant while doing it and we don’t play in the easier East.

10 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Awful decision. Should have seriously given UF a long hard look or gone outside of the SEC somewhere. He might shine there but they’ll still go 7-5 or 8-4 at best. Yeah we do that often but we’re typically more relevant while doing it and we don’t play in the easier East.

But zero competition for the position

Just now, bigbird said:

But zero competition for the position

And that is any young hopeful's first priority. 

Archived