Gatewood

bigbird

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Mims44 said:

You confused me there Cole, I think it's real interesting. At least for how Kentucky looks at the moment I think JG can hop in there and be a star for them. Hell, I'll actually be watching a few of their games now.

I mean, there's no telling how much his passing game will improve, but dude is a hell of an athlete and Kentucky seems to love that at QB position.

Either way, I think it's the most interesting transfer out we've had in years.

He may do awesome, but as far as the overall thought being surprised at a transfer doing good when they leave.....

Lamar Jackson is exposing alot of this right now though. There's a difference between being on a team and being on a team and people are behind you. When I saw that Bo was coming in after Gatewood that this stuff would happen. We'll see if he's afforded opportunities that other QB's get. He didn't get that here, I hope he was thorough in choosing a place. It's not what I would've picked for him but I don't know the things he was told. Hopefully it will work out for him and he at least get a chance. He deserved that here.....but it is what it is

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

He deserved that here.

JMO.....He got his chance here..... I would have been good with him as our QB but once BN was selected, ...that was that.    JG e could have stuck it out waiting on his "Mac Jones moment" ….or moved along.     He made his choice which is OK with me....but don't blame AU because he did not get the QB job here. 

47 minutes ago, AU64 said:

JMO.....He got his chance here..... I would have been good with him as our QB but once BN was selected, ...that was that.    JG e could have stuck it out waiting on his "Mac Jones moment" ….or moved along.     He made his choice which is OK with me....but don't blame AU because he did not get the QB job here. 

That's cool, you're consistent so of course you will believe that, there hasn't been anything that you have ever seen a coach do or whatever. The fact that you say don't blame AU really shows where your mind will always be as if somebodymakes a mistake can't possibly make one because THEY are Auburn. And your crew will like your comment and you guys have the same agenda and push it all the time. I see one of your guys couldn't wait but to like your comment. Like if there is any issue with a player against the NCAA you will always be with the NCAA because that's how you see it. Players don't deserve this and that.....

But what you can't do is tell me what to think and you can't place words in my mouth. I will absolutely look at every situation and compare them and things that didn't make sense or seem funny I will speak on it. I don't care about him winning the job here, I do care about players not getting opportunities other players get. So you don't get upset because things will change and the old stuff won't fly anymore.

35 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I do care about players not getting opportunities other players get.

Evidence please.....

9 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Evidence please.....

The Florida game is one, but what's your evidence he did? You have your opinion I have mine, I don't tell you what and what not to say even when it's completely off base you won't tell me what to say.

Many transfers don’t shine for many reasons, some Cole touched on. Joey, I think will buck that trend. I usually pull for Kentucky anyway. I certainly will now. I don’t worry he will outshine Bo. I won’t pull against him and hope no Auburn fan would. 

JG was given opportunity in multiple scrimmages, TWO spring trainings and TWO fall camps and practice every week for two years. The coaches watched all these practices, they also filmed all of these and studied hours and hours of film. They then made the choice of the QB that they thought would give us the best chance to win.

Everyone has opportunity in practice, nobody is guaranteed or entitled to opportunity on game day. That is something that is earned in practice.

I was pulling hard for JG, he committed to us early and from all indications he is a great guy and true AU man. My sources tell me that he was just too inconsistent throwing the ball in practice.  He is clearly a better runner than BN, so all he really had to do is be even, or very close, to BN in passing and he would have been the starter which would CGM would have loved as it would have given him many more options.

Selfishly, I hated to see JG go, but I don't blame him for looking for greener pastures. Just because he was not good enough to be the starter at AU right now, does not mean he will not be good enough to start at another program. See Jalen Hurts.

Remember, as bad as a team's starting QB may look in the game, the backup on the sideline holding the clipboard is there because he performed even worse in practice.

13 minutes ago, rockfordpi said:

JG was given opportunity in multiple scrimmages, TWO spring trainings and TWO fall camps and practice every week for two years. The coaches watched all these practices, they also filmed all of these and studied hours and hours of film. They then made the choice of the QB that they thought would give us the best chance to win.

Everyone has opportunity in practice, nobody is guaranteed or entitled to opportunity on game day. That is something that is earned in practice.

I was pulling hard for JG, he committed to us early and from all indications he is a great guy and true AU man. My sources tell me that he was just too inconsistent throwing the ball in practice.  He is clearly a better runner than BN, so all he really had to do is be even, or very close, to BN in passing and he would have been the starter which would CGM would have loved as it would have given him many more options.

Selfishly, I hated to see JG go, but I don't blame him for looking for greener pastures. Just because he was not good enough to be the starter at AU right now, does not mean he will not be good enough to start at another program. See Jalen Hurts.

Remember, as bad as a team's starting QB may look in the game, the backup on the sideline holding the clipboard is there because he performed even worse in practice.

Thanks.....very good response. 

21 hours ago, AU64 said:

Joey was bamboozle by the clown plain and simple, oh and if you don't believe that go back and watch the 1 play he use Joey in to ruin his chances of transferring out of Auburn without losing a red shirt year a trick play with Bo on the field.

6 minutes ago, eaglenest said:

Joey was bamboozle by the clown plain and simple, oh and if you don't believe that go back and watch the 1 play he use Joey in to ruin his chances of transferring out of Auburn without losing a red shirt year a trick play with Bo on the field.

I do believe he had redshirted last year and you only get one of them.....plus for better or worse he played in 7 games...

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

I do believe he had redshirted last year and you only get one of them.....i

Well, there's that but lets forget the rules and blame Gus for making a player lose his non-existent 2nd redshirt year. :)

1 minute ago, eaglenest said:

Asa martin says hello

Why is that germane to the Gatewood issue? You goofed on the rules Re: Gatewood. Nobody gets two redshirt years, except a 6th year due to injury. End of story.

Martin now, assuming the coaches wanted to redshirt Martin is a stretch. Maybe they didn't want to redshirt Martin. Nobody ever wants to talk abut that likelihood.

It seems everyone has their opinion and nothing is going to change the opinions of those commenting on this subject.   I’m going to add this just to give some clarity on where I stood with this.   If all the reports that were coming out of spring practice and early summer practices were true, it’s that the competition was really close.   So If this were the case, there should have been situations throughout a game that JG should have been given “the offense “ not “a package “ to run during a game.   

There were numerous times during games that BN did not look comfortable and wasn’t playing good football.   The reason people are frustrated is because there wasn’t a plan in place for this to happen.   Auburn was starting a true freshman!!!!   Did the staff not have a plan to give BN a moment during games to regroup, refocus or whatever term you want to use to get his mind right?   

After looking back on the year without any bias towards the coach or any player, I’m a firm believer that if a few plays had gone differently The season would’ve played out completely different 

36 minutes ago, eaglenest said:

Yeah, um, no...

JG redshirted in 2018...

😂 you agreed with me? Thank you very articulate. Ok so now if you're on the bench the person ahead is better......that means if you agree with that there's no record of you calling for a back up player right?

One thing I'm positive on though, karma is a beautiful thing. We'll see where ours is at.

11 hours ago, rockfordpi said:

This is exactly right.  But Joey Gatewood has been a class act before, during, and after his tenure at Auburn.  I'll be rooting for him every week at Kentucky (unless they play us).  I'm sorry he left, but I don't blame him at all.  It will be painful, but I hope he has a great career.  It's possible that he and BN are both just really good, and both will shine.  That's the best possible outcome, and likely, IMHO.

48 minutes ago, AU64 said:

plus for better or worse he played in 7 games...

He only played in 6 games as he didn’t play in the U of F game.  I’m sure that is where JG first thought something was up, the LSU game confirmed it.  I would guess JG entered the transfer portal to salvage a partial year of eligibility as he had no desire to stick it out at Auburn. 

It’s interesting that Gus finds a way to get Auburn into a situation where we do not have depth at one of the key offense positions on the field every year.  Most years it is the QB.

For those who haven’t noticed, backup QBs all over the country are transferring. Everyone of them thinks they should be starting. And everyone of them has fans who believe them. For the coaches though, they have one ball and can only pick one starter. If Gus had picked JG, there would be fans calling him an idiot for picking a a guy who wasn’t a full time starter in High school instead of an elite 5 star AU legacy.  The worst thing Gus could’ve done for Bo or Joey (in my humble opinion) is to go through this year playing musical chairs with two freshman QBs. That’s a sure way to ruin them both. I hope JG has a great time and career at Kentucky, and I can’t wait to watch Bo the next 2-3 years. They are both deserving to be starters. 

2 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

For those who haven’t noticed, backup QBs all over the country are transferring. Everyone of them thinks they should be starting. And everyone of them has fans who believe them. For the coaches though, they have one ball and can only pick one starter. If Gus had picked JG, there would be fans calling him an idiot for picking a a guy who wasn’t a full time starter in High school instead of an elite 5 star AU legacy.  The worst thing Gus could’ve done for Bo or Joey (in my humble opinion) is to go through this year playing musical chairs with two freshman QBs. That’s a sure way to ruin them both. I hope JG has a great time and career at Kentucky, and I can’t wait to watch Bo the next 2-3 years. They are both deserving to be starters. 

I think most people noticed some backup QBs are transferring, but also notice that the backup QB can come in and be productive; case in point, Mac Brown.  If you noticed last night, Baylor was down to their 3rd sting QB and took Oklahoma into OT.  A coach has to be able to have the backup QB willing to stay and be a part of the team so, heaven forbid, he is needed he can perform.

Do you think it odd that JG entered the transfer portal after game 7 and not wait until the end of the year?  How confident are you in our backup QB?  Will it improve next year?  So many questions, I hope Bo stays healthy.

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

He only played in 6 games as he didn’t play in the U of F game.  I’m sure that is where JG first thought something was up, the LSU game confirmed it.  I would guess JG entered the transfer portal to salvage a partial year of eligibility as he had no desire to stick it out at Auburn. 

It’s interesting that Gus finds a way to get Auburn into a situation where we do not have depth at one of the key offense positions on the field every year.  Most years it is the QB.

I wonder how it’s so difficult to learn the eligibility/ transfer rules? 

1 hour ago, aubaseball said:

It seems everyone has their opinion and nothing is going to change the opinions of those commenting on this subject.   I’m going to add this just to give some clarity on where I stood with this.   If all the reports that were coming out of spring practice and early summer practices were true, it’s that the competition was really close.   So If this were the case, there should have been situations throughout a game that JG should have been given “the offense “ not “a package “ to run during a game.   

There were numerous times during games that BN did not look comfortable and wasn’t playing good football.   The reason people are frustrated is because there wasn’t a plan in place for this to happen.   Auburn was starting a true freshman!!!!   Did the staff not have a plan to give BN a moment during games to regroup, refocus or whatever term you want to use to get his mind right?   

After looking back on the year without any bias towards the coach or any player, I’m a firm believer that if a few plays had gone differently The season would’ve played out completely different 

Ditto!! it is the head coach job to put the team FIRST, to try and win games and that my friend is why Gus is dead to me, all the blood sweat and tears that assistant coaches and players go through to try to be prepared to win those games Gus destroy all of it because he does not have the team and Auburn best interest at heart. 

Why you would think Gus doesn't have his team's best interest at heart is beyond belief. We knew we would take some lumps with a freshman Qb. And Asa Martin has done so well at the other programs. 

1 hour ago, alexava said:

I wonder how it’s so difficult to learn the eligibility/ transfer rules? 

Something to do with the law of unintended consequences I would guess.

Archived