Gatewood

bigbird

9 minutes ago, Tigger1985 said:

Why you would think Gus doesn't have his team's best interest at heart is beyond belief. We knew we would take some lumps with a freshman Qb. And Asa Martin has done so well at the other programs. 

Funny thing about this discussion...as for me....When the  QB decision was being sorted out,  I favored JG over BN...based on a year of red shirt experience and rushing capability.....and had actually hoped to see him play some last season when JS was struggling....but of course he redshirted.    And... I expected him to be the QB this year and was hoping that to be the case.    But once the decision was made, I sure had no reason to think the coaches would do anything other than pick they guy who had looked the best during the practices leading up to the season. 

Will be interesting to see how he does at UK...probably will do well and likely will not be expected to operate a passing offense. 

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

He only played in 6 games as he didn’t play in the U of F game.  I’m sure that is where JG first thought something was up, the LSU game confirmed it.  I would guess JG entered the transfer portal to salvage a partial year of eligibility as he had no desire to stick it out at Auburn. 

It’s interesting that Gus finds a way to get Auburn into a situation where we do not have depth at one of the key offense positions on the field every year.  Most years it is the QB.

Stats on the AU site show him in 7 games but whatever....it was more than 4 and redshirt season had already been used up. 

As for QB depth.....yep that's a problem but hardly any school has a reliable back-up QB if the starter goes down.   Interesting that Baylor's back-up was also a WR and lasted part of the game and their #3 guy came in …(one game experience)  but hit two really nice passes to start with...but that was it for him too.    

12 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Stats on the AU site show him in 7 games but whatever....it was more than 4 and redshirt season had already been used up. 

As for QB depth.....yep that's a problem but hardly any school has a reliable back-up QB if the starter goes down.   Interesting that Baylor's back-up was also a WR and lasted part of the game and their #3 guy came in …(one game experience)  but hit two really nice passes to start with...but that was it for him too.    

you’re correct that the Redshirt rule does not apply as he already had a Redshirt year.  The 7 game thing would apply as to how long he so would have to sit out next year.  Played in 6 but was here for 7.  As for depth, not only Baylor but Bama too.  There are backup QBs that can perform when called upon

5 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

you’re correct that the Redshirt rule does not apply as he already had a Redshirt year. The 7 game thing would apply as to how long he so would have to sit out next year.  Played in 6 but was here for 7.  As for depth, not only Baylor but Bama too.  There are backup QBs that can perform when called upon

He won't be playing at all next year due to the transfer rule. Then the year after that he can play in every game. If he somehow gets a waiver of the transfer rule and plays next season, he can play in every game regardless of how many he played in this season at AU. See Justin Fields at OSU for clarification.

15 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

As for depth, not only Baylor but Bama too.  There are backup QBs that can perform when called upon

Baylor depth was worse than ours.....(Cord is probably not a bad QB if called upon in an emergency) ....if you watched the Baylor game, once the starter was gone they were pretty much done with a WR and then a guy who had been in one game for a couple plays.    

Bama had a backup because Mac Jones did not pull a J G and bug out when he was not getting playing time.   Otherwise, bama would have had a freshman with almost no playing time when Tua went down.   Jones was a 4* recruit and likely could have left bama and found a starting slot somewhere else....but chose to stay and played a very good game against AU. 

There is a real shortage of quality QBs in college football these days....and about any guy who is determined to "play QB" can find school "B" when things don't work out at school "A".   I don't blame the coaches for that, not Gus nor any other coach who sees his #2 QB hit the trail over lack of playing time.   Why not check the SEC rosters and see what the QB situation is at each school......shoot...UK did not even have a real QB this year which is likely why JG is making the move.    JMO but if he is smart, he will get a lawyer and bluff the NCAA into making him immediately eligible. 

32 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

you’re correct that the Redshirt rule does not apply as he already had a Redshirt year.  The 7 game thing would apply as to how long he so would have to sit out next year.  Played in 6 but was here for 7.  As for depth, not only Baylor but Bama too.  There are backup QBs that can perform when called upon

That is accurate as it pertains to most state’s high school transfer rules, but not college. Once you play more than 4 games, you burn an entire year of eligibility. That’s why Kelly Bryant left Clemson after 4 games last season, and was eligible to play all year. JG chose to quit his team in mid season and lost some important practice and game reps while also not getting to be part of the monumental win vs Bama. I wish he would’ve stuck out the season with his teammates, but he’s gone and I wish him luck at UK. Cord is an exceptional athlete and I believe by next year can become an solid backup QB. I’m glad he’s getting that opportunity. 

14 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Bama had a backup because Mac Jones did not pull a J G and bug out when he was not getting playing time.   Otherwise, bama would have had a freshman with almost no playing time when Tua went down.   Jones was a 4* recruit and likely could have left bama and found a starting slot somewhere else....but chose to stay and played a very good game against AU. 

Excellent post! I sincerely wish JG well but I do find it curious that he didn’t transfer to a more high profile college. 

Way to be disingenuous while patting each other on the back. Mac Jones didn't pull a JG because his coaches actually put him in the game and called passing plays and ran the offense. He also didn't have to watch people get treated completely different while he had to "earn" his number on a team. I bet if next year the QB recruit they have coming in don't have to go through the things he did but the QB skips over him and then not play great, yeah I bet he would put a little thought in what he might do.....pull a JG 😂 you mean be one of the best ambassadors this team has ever had? Ok.

13 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Way to be disingenuous while patting each other on the back. Mac Jones didn't pull a JG because his coaches actually put him in the game and called passing plays and ran the offense. He also didn't have to watch people get treated completely different while he had to "earn" his number on a team. I bet if next year the QB recruit they have coming in don't have to go through the things he did but the QB skips over him and then not play great, yeah I bet he would put a little thought in what he might do.....pull a JG 😂 you mean be one of the best ambassadors this team has ever had? Ok.

Check MJ's stats....almost no play in 2018 and only played this year because Tua was injured twice during the season and missed all or parts of several games.   He could have left after 2018, or in 2017 when Tua was recruited behind Hurts and he knew he was not gonna play.    But, h was ready when his time came.... did not check out when Hurts and Tua were getting all the playing time and waited for his moment.     I'm happy that Cord S is ready to play if needed. . 

As for being treated differently....the only thing I am aware of with JG is that coaches spent two years trying to help him become a starting QB in the SEC and tried to find a role for him.  It did not work out....but your constant and unsubstantiated complaints about favoritism sound like Nick's complaints of an "unfair" play. 

59 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Excellent post! I sincerely wish JG well but I do find it curious that he didn’t transfer to a more high profile college. 

I think JG will do very well at Kentucky and hopefully have a breakout when his time comes.. Darin Hinshaw (qb coach) was big in getting JG to Kentucky and has a good track record with development. 

On 12/5/2019 at 8:24 PM, sevenlee36 said:

We normally struggle against Kentucky I suppose this solidifies a win for them and a Gus departure. 

Over the last 40yrs I would say Auburn has hardly struggled with Kentucky Football.

5 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

Over the last 40yrs I would say Auburn has hardly struggled with Kentucky Football.

Well I say you can always present numbers that help support your case. But the last three meetings with them we are 2-1 and the two wins were by 3 points. They are arguably better now.

1 minute ago, sevenlee36 said:

Well I say you can always present numbers that help support your case. But the last three meetings with them we are 2-1 and the two wins were by 3 points. They are arguably better now.

I don't disagree sir.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Check MJ's stats....almost no play in 2018 and only played this year because Tua was injured twice during the season and missed all or parts of several games.   He could have left after 2018, or in 2017 when Tua was recruited behind Hurts and he knew he was not gonna play.    But, h was ready when his time came.... did not check out when Hurts and Tua were getting all the playing time and waited for his moment.     I'm happy that Cord S is ready to play if needed. . 

As for being treated differently....the only thing I am aware of with JG is that coaches spent two years trying to help him become a starting QB in the SEC and tried to find a role for him.  It did not work out....but your constant and unsubstantiated complaints about favoritism sound like Nick's complaints of an "unfair" play. 

I know his stats and like I said you trying to compare this guy waiting behind established starters is stupid. 

As far as my "constant and unsubstantiated complaints" what did I say that you dispute? And to be a senior citizen running to calling someone Saban is hilarious. We can talk facts or just don't talk. I don't doubt you're happy for cord, you and your group are predictable.

And as soon as he has to play and doesn't do well it will be the first thing you run to as to why it's not Gus fault. You have literally formed every argument on 🌍 to keep Gus away from any criticism or any bad decision. It's pathetic that a person can't talk without your need to put on a cape and defend him. 

But like you said indirectly you're simply just unaware

2 hours ago, kevon67 said:

Believe it or not, we did during the Cam year. Shocked me too, but we did. Had to look it up to be sure, but yep. Nail-biter. 

"Auburn's 37-34 win at Kentucky on Oct. 9, 2010, wasn't the first heart-stopping victory of the Tigers' national championship season. ... The Tigers built a 31-17 halftime lead, only to give it all backas Kentucky scored a pair of touchdowns in the third quarter to tie the game.Oct 15, 2015"

2 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

Believe it or not, we did during the Cam year. Shocked me too, but we did. Had to look it up to be sure, but yep. Nail-biter. 

"Auburn's 37-34 win at Kentucky on Oct. 9, 2010, wasn't the first heart-stopping victory of the Tigers' national championship season. ... The Tigers built a 31-17 halftime lead, only to give it all backas Kentucky scored a pair of touchdowns in the third quarter to tie the game.Oct 15, 2015"

Yes we did rememder it well........prior to 2010 not so much..........but definitely the past 9 years much improved Kentucky Football program........well also count Hal Mumme years.

Just now, kevon67 said:

Yes we did rememder it well........prior to 2010 not so much..........but definitely the past 9 years much improved Kentucky Football program........well also count Hal Mumme years.

Five years enjoyed living outside Lex...they are serious hoop hounds, but football has been gaining strength...we're seeing their reverse with basketball starting to bloom for us. I love it. 

8 hours ago, AU64 said:

I agree with you.  Isn't it funny how the fans know better than the coaches that the backup QB is always better than the starter when the team is not meeting fan's expectations?  I recall the chants of "Kodi Kodi Kodi" from the fans booing the starter when AU was struggling one year. Of course Kyle Frazier was way better than whomever was starting back then,  and the list goes on and on. Funny how often the coaches, who are paid millions and have spent their lives coaching at a very high level, end up being right and the fans end up being wrong.

17 hours ago, cole256 said:

How was he treated differently? 

11 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Hey "M"...who is your " group". 🙄

I'm an Auburn grad, enjoy being on the golf course and playing with my granddaughter, lol.

Also hope Gatewood having to sit for a year doesn't ruin his football career worse than staying at Auburn apparently would have.

Lol now you don't have a group that you all follow each other agreeing with everything and going at everything else passive aggressively lol. Ok

10 minutes ago, Methuselah said:

I'm an Auburn grad, enjoy being on the golf course and playing with my granddaughter, lol.

Also hope Gatewood having to sit for a year doesn't ruin his football career worse than staying at Auburn apparently would have.

Sounds like I'm a member of your group....except my grandchildren are grown now and it's 40 and raining right now...so no golf today. ...but, pehaps that is what cole was referring to in his comment...    

Will be a big surprise to me if JG becomes a passer at UK since that is not their style...but expect he will do great from their wildcat oriented running game.  

Archived