Gatewood

bigbird

15 hours ago, ToraGirl said:

Five years enjoyed living outside Lex...they are serious hoop hounds, but football has been gaining strength...we're seeing their reverse with basketball starting to bloom for us. I love it. 

Beautiful up there. Plenty of outdoor activities. And the bourbon :wub:

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Excellent post! I sincerely wish JG well but I do find it curious that he didn’t transfer to a more high profile college. 

He left so he could play. Going to be tough to come into a high profile college as a transfer with almost no resume and a lot of eligibility already used up and unseat whoever they've already got.

As for those comparing Jones to Gatewood, it's dumb. Tua was one of the best QBs in college football and was playing at an elite level until he got hurt. That's who Jones was sitting behind.

Gatewood was watching Nix struggle mightily in every big game he played in. Bo  and our offense were terrible against UF and LSU, but Joey wasn't allowed to provide a spark. This, after Gus stated publicly that we would be working Gatewood into every game.

From the outside looking in, Gatewood is making terrible choices right now.  We would have to be privy to some other inside info to believe otherwise.  Bad choice to bail on your team midstream (he's not acting rationally with that choice) and another bad choice to not to go JUCO and get some much needed live game action for a season before possibly transferring to a bigger program.

I hope he succeeds, but it's a head scratcher.

18 hours ago, AU64 said:

Check MJ's stats....almost no play in 2018 and only played this year because Tua was injured twice during the season and missed all or parts of several games.   He could have left after 2018, or in 2017 when Tua was recruited behind Hurts and he knew he was not gonna play.    But, h was ready when his time came.... did not check out when Hurts and Tua were getting all the playing time and waited for his moment.     I'm happy that Cord S is ready to play if needed. . 

As for being treated differently....the only thing I am aware of with JG is that coaches spent two years trying to help him become a starting QB in the SEC and tried to find a role for him.  It did not work out....but your constant and unsubstantiated complaints about favoritism sound like Nick's complaints of an "unfair" play. 

what QB has Gus developed?

Just now, eaglenest said:

for being treated differently....the only thing I am aware of with JG is that coaches spent two years trying to help him become a starting QB in the SEC and tried to find a role for him.  It did not work out....but your constant and unsubstantiated complaints about favoritism sound like Nick's complaints of an "unfair" play. 

9 hours ago, rockfordpi said:

I agree with you.  Isn't it funny how the fans know better than the coaches that the backup QB is always better than the starter when the team is not meeting fan's expectations?  I recall the chants of "Kodi Kodi Kodi" from the fans booing the starter when AU was struggling one year. Of course Kyle Frazier was way better than whomever was starting back then,  and the list goes on and on. Funny how often the coaches, who are paid millions and have spent their lives coaching at a very high level, end up being right and the fans end up being wrong.

Is it funny that Gus has a history of poor personnel decisions?

2 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

From the outside looking in, Gatewood is making terrible choices right now.  We would have to be privy to some other inside info to believe otherwise.  Bad choice to bail on your team midstream (he's not acting rationally with that choice) and another bad choice to not to go JUCO and get some much needed live game action for a season before possibly transferring to a bigger program.

Go to a JUCO instead of learning the offense and getting valuable reps with division 1 football players? How is that a better discussion? 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Go to a JUCO instead of learning the offense and getting valuable reps with division 1 football players? How is that a better discussion? 

He has very, very little in game experience.

5 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

He has very, very little in game experience.

Playing JUCO instead of him practicing with like peers as himself is not going to prepare much more for his game experience. JF3 has games on JUCO where he went off. The talent disparity is a joke. Going to a D1 school, learning the playbook, getting stronger, continuing his education was the best decision for him to transition right into a starting role.

7 minutes ago, eaglenest said:

I guess Cam, Nick and Stidham don't count...but either way,  I'm of the view that QBs are born , not made....and most of the highly rated QBs are outstanding right from the start and get better with experience.... but they are identifiable right away...like Lawrence at Clemson.    Georgia kept Fromm and sent Eason and Fields to other schools. Did they keep the right guy?   

JMO but the idea of "developing" QBs is questionable but utilizing them is a point worth considering. 

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

Playing JUCO instead of him practicing with like peers as himself is not going to prepare much more for his game experience. JF3 has games on JUCO where he went off. The talent disparity is a joke. Going to a D1 school, learning the playbook, getting stronger, continuing his education was the best decision for him to transition right into a starting role.

I disagree.

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

Agree....JG was beyond going to JUCO assuming he was up to date academically ….but if he wanted to be an NFL QB , UK was about the last place to go....but on the other hand, if he wanted to start and play, that was probably a good choice.....and he can let the NFL take care of itself when he's done with college.  

He will likely have the chance to do like Nick and many other college QBs and change positions in the NFL because of his athleticism. 

23 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

I am not privy to other inside info and I believe otherwise. 

This is an awfully strongly opinionated post based of extremely limited information. I'm not a fan of calling someone else's choices "bad" when I don't know anything about what went into them. And it is not irrational for him to move on when he did. Season's not even over and he already knows his next destination. That's called staying ahead of the game.

7 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I guess Cam, Nick and Stidham don't count

No, not really. He only had Cam for one year, and Cam was mocked before the draft for his elementary understanding of offenses.

Nick only improved marginally from the time he got here- about as much as you would expect in 2 years in the same offense.

Stidham actually got worse. 

32 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

He left so he could play. Going to be tough to come into a high profile college as a transfer with almost no resume and a lot of eligibility already used up and unseat whoever they've already got.

As for those comparing Jones to Gatewood, it's dumb. Tua was one of the best QBs in college football and was playing at an elite level until he got hurt. That's who Jones was sitting behind.

Gatewood was watching Nix struggle mightily in every big game he played in. Bo  and our offense were terrible against UF and LSU, but Joey wasn't allowed to provide a spark. This, after Gus stated publicly that we would be working Gatewood into every game.

What!!! How did you ever see the holes in that thorough and highly developed comparison? I know you had to really work hard to see how that logic was flawed 😂. It was an excellent post though!

It's funny to me the people that are sure that Gatewood can't be a good QB see all the potential in the world in Bo.....people can hate me all they want but if I'm hated for demanding people be judged the same and disliked for pointing of differences so be it. I'm cool with that

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I am not privy to other inside info and I believe otherwise. 

This is an awfully strongly opinionated post based of extremely limited information. I'm not a fan of calling someone else's choices "bad" when I don't know anything about what went into them. And it is not irrational for him to move on when he did. Season's not even over and he already knows his next destination. That's called staying ahead of the game.

You can dress it up as "getting ahead" when in reality he quit on an agreement he made.  Kentucky, or Blinn, or whoever would still be there in December/January.

To address the other comments above...Personally, I think he's selling himself short by relinquishing himself to Kentucky so early in the process.  Go to JUCO, put up good numbers, then transfer to a bigger name school.  He made the safer choice I guess.

4 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

You can dress it up as "getting ahead" when in reality he quit on an agreement he made.  Kentucky, or Blinn, or whoever would still be there in December/January.

To address the other comments above...Personally, I think he's selling himself short by relinquishing himself to Kentucky so early in the process.  Go to JUCO, put up good numbers, then transfer to a bigger name school.  He made the safer choice I guess.

I actually see your point with the juco stuff, the agreement stuff is bull though. But I don't know the coaches or anything but nah I wouldn't have went to Kentucky but it's his decision. He has a bunch of people that say they wish him the best against him so good luck. It's a dirty game but a game he decided to play nevertheless

5 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

I'm not dressing it up. Ask the team, who universally continue to support him, if maybe his coach quit on him first. And how do you know that Kentucky wouldn't have already filled that spot? 

Further to that, you do realize that Kentucky is a bowl eligible SEC team, right? I'm not sure if a lot of y'all realize that. The way you're talking about them is very strange. Dude stepped off our campus and immediately onto another decent SEC campus with a lot of program stability. And your'e second guessing his decision process? Pretty bizarre. 

17 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Agree....JG was beyond going to JUCO assuming he was up to date academically ….but if he wanted to be an NFL QB , UK was about the last place to go....but on the other hand, if he wanted to start and play, that was probably a good choice.....and he can let the NFL take care of itself when he's done with college.  

He will likely have the chance to do like Nick and many other college QBs and change positions in the NFL because of his athleticism. 

Well I think UK gives him the best chance to start versus going to a more prestigious program. Getting there a year early and learning the playbook gets him a step up IMO. Now it’s up to him to show out and prove himself 

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I'm not dressing it up. Ask the team, who universally continue to support him, if maybe his coach quit on him first. And how do you know that Kentucky wouldn't have already filled that spot? 

Further to that, you do realize that Kentucky is a bowl eligible SEC team, right? I'm not sure if a lot of y'all realize that. The way you're talking about them is very strange. Dude stepped off our campus and immediately onto another decent SEC campus with a lot of program stability. And your'e second guessing his decision process? Pretty bizarre. 

Kentucky really has made strides the last two seasons. What hurt them this year is bad QB to play.

42 minutes ago, The Freak said:

Is it funny that Gus has a history of poor personnel decisions?

I'd like to review a list of these moves.

Not saying it hasn't happened, I just want to consider the context of these decisions.

WDE!

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

Well I think UK gives him the best chance to start versus going to a more prestigious program. Getting there a year early and learning the playbook gets him a step up IMO. Now it’s up to him to show out and prove himself 

This seems so obvious to me.

I have to imagine that some folks just got their feelings hurt that he didn't stick around to watch Bo play a few more games so they're just judging him for all his decisions now.

Archived