Gatewood

bigbird

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

Well I think UK gives him the best chance to start versus going to a more prestigious program. Getting there a year early and learning the playbook gets him a step up IMO. Now it’s up to him to show out and prove himself 

You make points that I didn't necessarily see initially

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

This seems so obvious to me.

I have to imagine that some folks just got their feelings hurt that he didn't stick around to watch Bo play a few more games so they're just judging him for all his decisions now.

Absolutely. The thing people don't mention too much is his first year here he didn't get to get reps. They are more important than anything starting out. If Bo didn't get reps when he first came this summer he doesn't win the job. I think I may have went to vandy myself and ensure I'm successful one way or the other. 

But clearly he trusts somebody at Kentucky and it seems like he just wants somebody he can trust.....unfortunately we don't all get that in life but every young person deserves that

Just a quick reminder that Benny Snell was a star RB at UK. Which made him the whole offense and got him picked in the 4th round. 

MSU worked out okay for Dak Prescott.

Lamar Jackson won the Heisman at Louisville.

In fact, look at all the starting QBs in the NFL and tell me how many went to power programs. Rivers, Trubisky, Brees, Ryan, Wilson, Roethlisberger, Jones (or Eli for that matter), Wentz, Mahomes... If a guy produces at a D1 school (or maybe even a lesser classification), then he can be a hero there and a very wealthy man. 

9 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Absolutely. The thing people don't mention too much is his first year here he didn't get to get reps. They are more important than anything starting out. If Bo didn't get reps when he first came this summer he doesn't win the job. I think I may have went to vandy myself and ensure I'm successful one way or the other. 

But clearly he trusts somebody at Kentucky and it seems like he just wants somebody he can trust.....unfortunately we don't all get that in life but every young person deserves that

What's sad is that he stuck with us from Lashlee all the way to Dilly. And Gus told him he'd play. And then he didn't play him when it mattered and we needed a spark. That's got to hurt.

21 minutes ago, DAG said:

Well I think UK gives him the best chance to start versus going to a more prestigious program. Getting there a year early and learning the playbook gets him a step up IMO. Now it’s up to him to show out and prove himself 

Exactly and EG will do wonders with him. I think he might be the piece that allows Stoops to take the next step and contend with UF and UGA.

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

What's sad is that he stuck with us from Lashlee all the way to Dilly. And Gus told him he'd play. And then he didn't play him when it mattered and we needed a spark. That's got to hurt.

That's what bothered me the most as far as people talking bad on him....literally said pull a JG just throwing out all he did for this school. It's sad how they will do you

13 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Just a quick reminder that Benny Snell was a star RB at UK. Which made him the whole offense and got him picked in the 4th round. 

MSU worked out okay for Dak Prescott.

Lamar Jackson won the Heisman at Louisville.

In fact, look at all the starting QBs in the NFL and tell me how many went to power programs. Rivers, Trubisky, Brees, Ryan, Wilson, Roethlisberger, Jones (or Eli for that matter), Wentz, Mahomes... If a guy produces at a D1 school (or maybe even a lesser classification), then he can be a hero there and a very wealthy man. 

I think the question is what are you calling "power programs".  I got the following list from this link and it is a pretty good list of the starting QBs in the NFL.  I would say that most of these guys came from Power 5 programs.  Sure there are one or 2 that didn't but for the most part they come from well known programs that are in P5 conferences.

Team Quarterback College Year drafted (pick) Beginning of 
starting streak
Ref.
Arizona Cardinals (list) Kyler Murray Oklahoma 2019 (1) Week 1, 2019  
Atlanta Falcons (list) Matt Ryan Boston College 2008 (3) Week 9, 2019 [6]
Baltimore Ravens (list) Lamar Jackson Louisville 2018 (32) Week 11, 2018  
Buffalo Bills (list) Josh Allen Wyoming 2018 (7) Week 12, 2018  
Carolina Panthers (list) Kyle Allen Houston 2018 (Undrafted) Week 3, 2019  
Chicago Bears (list) Mitchell Trubisky UNC 2017 (2) Week 7, 2019  
Cincinnati Bengals (list) Andy Dalton TCU 2011 (35) Week 13, 2019  
Cleveland Browns (list) Baker Mayfield Oklahoma 2018 (1) Week 4, 2018  
Dallas Cowboys (list) Dak Prescott Mississippi State 2016 (135) Week 1, 2016 [7]
Denver Broncos (list) Drew Lock Missouri 2019 (42) Week 13, 2019  
Detroit Lions (list) David Blough Purdue 2019 (Undrafted) Week 13, 2019 [8]
Green Bay Packers (list) Aaron Rodgers California 2005 (24) Week 1, 2018  
Houston Texans (list) Deshaun Watson Clemson 2017 (12) Week 1, 2018  
Indianapolis Colts (list) Jacoby Brissett NC State 2016 (91) Week 11, 2019  
Jacksonville Jaguars (list) Nick Foles Arizona 2012 (88) Week 11, 2019  
Kansas City Chiefs (list) Patrick Mahomes Texas Tech 2017 (10) Week 10, 2019  
Los Angeles Chargers (list) Philip Rivers NC State 2004 (4) Week 1, 2006 [9]
Los Angeles Rams (list) Jared Goff California 2016 (1) Week 1, 2018  
Miami Dolphins (list) Ryan Fitzpatrick Harvard 2005 (250) Week 7, 2019  
Minnesota Vikings (list) Kirk Cousins Michigan State 2012 (102) Week 1, 2018  
New England Patriots (list) Tom Brady Michigan 2000 (199) Week 5, 2016  
New Orleans Saints (list) Drew Brees Purdue 2001 (32) Week 8, 2019  
New York Giants (list) Daniel Jones Duke 2019 (6) Week 3, 2019  
New York Jets (list) Sam Darnold USC 2018 (3) Week 6, 2019  
Oakland Raiders (list) Derek Carr Fresno State 2014 (36) Week 6, 2017  
Philadelphia Eagles (list) Carson Wentz North Dakota State 2016 (2) Week 1, 2019  
Pittsburgh Steelers (list) Devlin Hodges Samford 2019 (Undrafted) Week 13, 2019  
San Francisco 49ers (list) Jimmy Garoppolo Eastern Illinois 2014 (62) Week 1, 2019  
Seattle Seahawks (list) Russell Wilson Wisconsin 2012 (75) Week 1, 2012 [10]
Tampa Bay Buccaneers (list) Jameis Winston Florida State 2015 (1) Week 12, 2018  
Tennessee Titans (list) Ryan Tannehill Texas A&M 2012 (8) Week 7, 2019  
Washington Redskins (list) Dwayne Haskins Ohio State 2019 (15) Week 9, 2019  

48 minutes ago, The Freak said:

Is it funny that Gus has a history of poor personnel decisions?

Obviously true because the players that have jumped the AU ship to go to another college have done so well at their next stop. ......Oh, wait, they haven't.

Just now, LKEEL75 said:

I think the question is what are you calling "power programs".  I got the following list from this link and it is a pretty good list of the starting QBs in the NFL.  I would say that most of these guys came from Power 5 programs.  Sure there are one or 2 that didn't but for the most part they come from well known programs that are in P5 conferences.

starting streak
Ref.
Dallas Cowboys (list) Dak Prescott Mississippi State 2016 (135) Week 1, 2016 [7]
Philadelphia Eagles (list) Carson Wentz North Dakota State 2016 (2) Week 1, 2019  
San Francisco 49ers (list) Jimmy Garoppolo Eastern Illinois 2014 (62) Week 1, 2019  

A "power program" to me is a program in the top half of a P5 conference that has a legitimate reason to believe that they might be in the playoff hunt with the right coach, right QB, etc. Basically the teams that have consistently shown up in the top 25 the last decade or so. 

But your post kind of proves my point. Gatewood is going to a P5 program that is headed to their 4th straight bowl. Kentucky is on equal or higher footing compared to at least half the schools on your list. If he produces there, then his NFL dreams remain 100% intact. Especially if there's an easier path to getting on the field and a better chance of the offense revolving around him.

If he fails at Kentucky, it will likely be because he really wasn't as good as we'd hoped. If he succeeds there, then there is no asterisk by his success. I think he's making a great decision.

It actually reminds me of Will Muschamp. He made a fantastic decision to take the USC job. Total no-brainer. And it's not USC's fault that he's failing there. Turns out he really just isn't head coaching material. It also reminds me of Gus himself. Turns out that Arkansas State gig that made everyone scratch their heads worked out damned well for him. 

If people want to get all sour grapes because Joey left or how he left, then they're entitled to their emotions. But I don't see any logic behind doubting Joey's decision to go to Kentucky. I'm open to the conversation but I haven't seen any legitimate concerns yet. 

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

It's funny to me the people that are sure that Gatewood can't be a good QB see all the potential in the world in Bo.....people can hate me all they want but if I'm hated for demanding people be judged the same and disliked for pointing of differences so be it. I'm cool with that

To be fair I am one of those guys that sees all of the potential in Bo, but I never said Gatewood could not be a great QB.  On the contrary.  I hope he lights it up and stomps on UGA in 2021 if he has to sit out 2020.  Anything to give UGA's opponents more firepower I support 100%!

4 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

To be fair I am one of those guys that sees all of the potential in Bo, but I never said Gatewood could not be a great QB.  On the contrary.  I hope he lights it up and stomps on UGA in 2021 if he has to sit out 2020.  Anything to give UGA's opponents more firepower I support 100%!

I am right there with you. I always thought Joey had the tools needed. I would have ridden with him had he been named starter. I predicted Bo just because Bo seemed to be the more polished QB of the two and I stuck with him. I think our schedule wouldn't have played out much different either way honestly. I think Bo did somethings that cost us a couple of games as well as did some that won us a couple of games. Maybe Joey does better in those losses, but doesn't make the plays in those wins....who knows. I wish him all the success in the world not at AU's expense.

24 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Which is cool I have no problem with that

52 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Obviously true because the players that have jumped the AU ship to go to another college have done so well at their next stop. ......Oh, wait, they haven't.

It's more than just the transfers although Roc Thomas is doing okay. 

Sean White and Cam Pettway saved Gus's job, but he killed their careers anyway.  Speaking of SW, he.let.him.play.with.a.broken.arm.wtf.

CJ Uzomah was underutilized, but is doing okay.

How about the whole running the RB into the ground?

Should I list the QBs that were poorly evaluated?  Or how about the RBs?

But nevermind, Tyler Queen didn't pan out at West Georgia so Gus evaluated him properly.  Oh wait, he gave him a scholarship.

2 minutes ago, The Freak said:

But nevermind, Tyler Queen didn't pan out at West Georgia so Gus evaluated him properly.  Oh wait, he gave him a scholarship.

I'll choose just one: Queen ruined his arm playing baseball  the summer before he came to AU. The rest of your bowling pins are as easily knocked over as this one.

2 hours ago, DAG said:

Correct.  He has a year to sit and learn. I posted this before, but Hinshaw was big in recruiting JG to Kentucky. (Check out his track record with other qbs.) Therefore it was easy to see why JG chose UK. A year to learn, then compete for the starting job. I really believe this was a great decision for him and as @bigbird mentioned earlier he also has Eddie Gran to work with... 

13 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I'll choose just one: Queen ruined his arm playing baseball  the summer before he came to AU. The rest of your bowling pins are as easily knocked over as this one.

There are a lot more bowling pins.  Enough to show the pattern of personnel management issues.

bowling-pins-wall-tens-piled-forming-475

2 hours ago, LKEEL75 said:

starting streak
Ref.

An interesting list....but sometime when you have a few hours you might go back through 7 or 8 years of Rivals rankings of QBs and check the 5* and see how many of them have been starters in the NFL ….or even finished at the college they signed with.  IMO, but ranking and recruiting HS players is an inexact science and doing that with QBs is worse still. 

If you look over the list, giving any one coach much credit for "developing QBs (plural) is a stretch...and holding anyone accountable for not developing them is also questionable IMO.     There might be some common denominator in there.  :dunno:    but it's hard to find him....and a good percentage of the starting QBs in FBS are transfers....so easy to see that JG and most other #2 or #3 guys will transfer if they end up behind a starting freshman or soph. Three of the four starting QBs in the playoff are transfers.. 

On 12/9/2019 at 8:49 AM, The Freak said:

Is it funny that Gus has a history of poor personnel decisions?

Sure, we would all be better off if we let either the fans or the powers that be at AU make the personnel decisions.

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Who suggested that?

By definition, SOMEONE has to make them. Before one criticizes, one must know (or at least believe) the thing criticized was wrong (and that there were better options). So, that means fans right, Gus wrong. Gus makes bad choices, authority must be passed to those who can make good choices. That leaves only fans or the powers that be at AU.

1 minute ago, rockfordpi said:

By definition, SOMEONE has to make them. Before one criticizes, one must know (or at least believe) the thing criticized was wrong (and that there were better options). So, that means fans right, Gus wrong. Gus makes bad choices, authority must be passed to those who can make good choices. That leaves only fans or the powers that be at AU.

There is another option. It was not exercised this season/offseason. Fingers crossed we don't have to revisit it. 

And as for the onus on one to know the thing criticized was wrong, I see a gray area there. Just look at the Florida game. We failed to tally 300 yards of total offense in that game. That alone tells me that Gus's judgment with regards to offense is highly imperfect. Does that mean that I know he made bad personnel decisions? No. But that is a door that has been opened wide for speculation. 

(Also, Gus said after that game that he made bad personnel decisions.)

Archived