Men vs. Furman

tgrogan21

9 hours ago, Tigger1985 said:

War Eagle! We pulled it out even with the poor officials.

Hard for me to think the officials helped the other guys....their studs were all on the bench fouled out when the game was really on the line....and then did not have a foul shot the first half.   JMO but we got the benefit of the calls including that touched ball with just a few seconds to go in the game.   But hey, we are the home team.....we are supposed to get the calls....just would be nice if we could have taken advantage and hit the foul shots. 

Offensive rebounding was terrific....15 vs their 4.

Cold shooting night and nice to get away with a win...JMO

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

Actually a good win showed a lot of heart coming back from 14 down. These type of games happen all the time in BB.

Just keep winning baby

Yep. I always say there's nothing better than learning a bunch and still getting a win? Awesome. Building blocks for a team to make a major run

22 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Yep. I always say there's nothing better than learning a bunch and still getting a win? Awesome. Building blocks for a team to make a major run

How would you prioritize our areas of improvement?

For me,

1. FT

2. Entry passes (timing and angles)

3. 3pt shooting

4. Off ball movement

5. Weakside defensive help

Ok that game was way too intense. Long layoff, days off, and guys probably overlooking Furman a bit may have contributed. Sorry for the length of this post, keep scrolling if you want I won't be offended lol

That being said, we took several punches to the mouth and still pulled this game off. I was livid when the 2nd half started with Furman hitting a 3 and getting fouled.A 14 point comeback in the 2nd half is a good experience no matter who the opponent is. I think it's clear this team has the confidence to think we can win a game no matter what the deficit is. We needed a humbling win after shooting up to 14 in the rankings and we got it.

I love that we played so poorly and won the game. We had 19 turnovers and shot 16% from 3. Those are losing numbers. We are very fortunate to come out of that game with a win. Hopefully Furman plays well the rest of the season and makes this win look good for us.

Gotta give Wiley major props here. He could've had way more points if we could just feed him the damn ball when he has position for an easy bucket. He was huuuuge down the stretch. FTs, blocks, steals, and buckets.

Danjel was off all game. But his lone 3 was a big one. But he was a little sloppy with the rock it felt like.

Samir -- he had a very off night shooting but man he kept playing hard and got us some really valuable buckets down the stretch. His leadership is key for our group. last season if he started off that slowly in a game Sulky Samir would've made an appearance and he would've been done for the rest of the game. So glad to his maturity level as a senior!

J'VON!!!! His play in the last few minutes of regulation were fantastic. He almost hit the game winner, as someone who has been on J'von's back about his play over the last 1+ year I really wanted it for him to hit that up and under shot to end the game. But make no mistake about it -- we don't win this game without him. Even with his shot not falling for most of the game. He had a solid floor game I think and his assist numbers would've been higher if we shot better as a team.

Okoro - what more can ya say? Kid is a baller. Clutch FTs. He's just a difference maker for us. Those FTs were big. For a 60% FT shooter to hit 2 game sealing ones was huge for the freshman.

Mac was busting his butt out there. Hit one of our only 3s and we needed it. He was aggressive on the boards.

Flanigan had a good game! We need that type of production off the bench from him.

Cambridge and Johnson were essentially non-factors. I hated the 3 Devan took after blocking the hell out of one of the Furman players in a moment where we were clawing back and needed a good possession. This kid is going to be a stud for us. I expect him to have his ups and downs this year as he gains experience. If Johnson isn't hitting 3s he's kind of giving us empty minutes. We need that to change.

We only played 9 guys. We need Turbo to get his act together because asking Samir to be the starting 2 and backup 1 while being a major source of offense for us is going to kill us in conference play. That's too much on his plate IMO. We don't need to be stretching him too thin. We are a sprained ankle away in the back court to being in some hurt.

We need to hit some damn FTs or we won't realize this team's potential. Samir and Danjel's FT shooting has been the most concerning. They've been good at the line in the past. I hate that we have to wait so long for another game, this team needs to keep rolling. Hopefully we get some good scrimmaging in during this long layoff.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

How would you prioritize our areas of improvement?

For me,

1. FT

2. Entry passes (timing and angles)

3. 3pt shooting

4. Off ball movement

5. Weakside defensive help

Man I'm so old school free throws wouldn't be a problem because you really might not play. I don't even know how to fix the passing because I can't fathom how you can be a D1 player and not know how to pass. 

Right now I think the most important thing is everybody knowing their role. And everybody understanding how important every possession is. I told my cousin remember every possession is an interview question to get to the league and who goes to a job interview saying I'm not worried about this question asked? But clearly he's in a different stratosphere when it comes to pressure.

I actually was thinking maybe I expect too much because he's what I'm used to as far as fussing and expectations and clearly he's gifted maybe Im too harsh on other people.....except free throws lol. That's just you putting in extra time working yourself to be at least decent. 

Oh and samir and everybody else actually shouldn't have the green light Harper and Brown had. Heck I thought Brown shot too many and there was no denying that he at least practiced shooting them religiously because his form was so perfect. Our guards this year don't shoot like him. 

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

It's almost like the guard don't understand angles and how to open them up. There was a lot of statues tonight watching Wiley work

Put them in remedial geometry and trig classes

the hesitation to pass To him is irritating me

42 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

the hesitation to pass To him is irritating me

Hell yeah!. AW is not the most agile big guy in the world, but he worked his ass off last night to get open, then got open and didn't get the ball. Bad angles on passes is one reason, but what I noticed is that they didn't look to him soon enough and that contributed to the bad angles.....Doughty had begun to bug me a bit,too....I noticed some "hero ball" from him last night...Thankfully, he did back off from the 3 ball and drove the lane and played a large part in the win (We should have drove inside every single time in the 2nd half).....He is a good player, but he cannot carry the team....Danjiel  is in a slump and he needs to drive more, get fouled and not just live by the long ball....I reckon every player we sign, the minute they step on campus they lose 25% in FT percentage...No damn sense in that, especially at the PG postion....He is actually a pretty decent PG BUT when JM goes to the line my thought is "don't foul on the rebound!".....Another long layoff and the ST Louis team coming in  and they play good basketball. I watched them the other day and they are not big but are quick...oh hell

Oh and one more thing -- the officiating last night was AWFUL. Terrible both ways I mean sooo bad. I don't understand how officiating can be so consistently bad and these guys keep their jobs. And then of course there's the whole TV Teddy thing. NCAA reffing is a freaking joke. 

How the hell did they mess up the final call with replay review? It was so obvious Isaac hit the ball out of bounds. 

Tiger,

In your post you said this: If Johnson isn't hitting 3s he's kind of giving us empty minutes.

I couldn't agree with you more; I was upset they left him in there so long last night. He was cold as ice, and his passing was terrible and led to several turnovers; I was shouting at the T.V (Where is Javon at)? 

24 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Oh and one more thing -- the officiating last night was AWFUL. Terrible both ways I mean sooo bad. I don't understand how officiating can be so consistently bad and these guys keep their jobs. And then of course there's the whole TV Teddy thing. NCAA reffing is a freaking joke. 

How the hell did they mess up the final call with replay review? It was so obvious Isaac hit the ball out of bounds. 

There was one ref who seemed to call every thing against us. He got me yelling like I was in college again! Lol

23 minutes ago, AUMASTERS said:

Tiger,

In your post you said this: If Johnson isn't hitting 3s he's kind of giving us empty minutes.

I couldn't agree with you more; I was upset they left him in there so long last night. He was cold as ice, and his passing was terrible and led to several turnovers; I was shouting at the T.V (Where is Javon at)? 

Javon got in some foul trouble early. But you are correct. I don’t think doughty and Okoro came out of the game in the second half. Javon only came out so the coaches could threaten him a close range to not foul again. 

The new guys need to start coming along. Cambridge and Flanigan look the best so far. But they both do the usual head scratcher plays from time to time. Johnson has looked good and bad. Hoping last night was just one of those bad games for him

29 minutes ago, AUMASTERS said:

Tiger,

21 minutes ago, gravejd said:

There was one ref who seemed to call every thing against us. He got me yelling like I was in college again! Lol

Javon got in some foul trouble early. But you are correct. I don’t think doughty and Okoro came out of the game in the second half. Javon only came out so the coaches could threaten him a close range to not foul again. 

The new games need to start coming along. Cambridge and Flanigan look the best so far. But they both do the usual head scratcher plays from time to time. Johnson has looked good and bad. Hoping last night was just one of those bad games for him

Jamal Johnson has had his bright moments and had some dull ones. He may take some time to find his groove seeing as he sat out last year. If we want to contend for a top 4 spot in the conference we are going to need him to be a reliable threat from 3. Cambridge and Flan both have freshman moments but they also have moments that make you very excited to watch them grow over the next couple years. But those 3 off the bench are essentially our main scoring options for our 2nd unit and if they are all having poor games it hurts us big time.

I was hoping Javon Franklin would be able to give us something but he's evidently not ready yet.

1 hour ago, gravejd said:

Yep, there was that one. And his demeanor really made you think he was wanting everyone there to know that was what he was doing. It felt like someone made him mad, and he decided not to be professional about it.

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

Jamal Johnson has had his bright moments and had some dull ones. He may take some time to find his groove seeing as he sat out last year. If we want to contend for a top 4 spot in the conference we are going to need him to be a reliable threat from 3. Cambridge and Flan both have freshman moments but they also have moments that make you very excited to watch them grow over the next couple years. But those 3 off the bench are essentially our main scoring options for our 2nd unit and if they are all having poor games it hurts us big time.

I was hoping Javon Franklin would be able to give us something but he's evidently not ready yet.

JJ HAS TUNNEL VISION MAN!!!! Omgsh he needs to learn the art of the extra pass!!! In the second half last night he had purifoy wide open in to corner for a three. All he had to do was swing it to him. Instead he took a heavily contested three that was not close.

3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

JJ HAS TUNNEL VISION MAN!!!! Omgsh he needs to learn the art of the extra pass!!! In the second half last night he had purifoy wide open in to corner for a three. All he had to do was swing it to him. Instead he took a heavily contested three that was not close.

Kinda like Doughty having his back to the play dribbling away while Wiley repeatedly breaks down on the pick-and-roll, lol? Man, I saw that repeatedly last night, particularly starting the second half. But, as @cole256 has pointed out, a lot of teachable stuff while still getting a pretty gutsy W.

Freshmen will be freshmen...and all of these guys were "the man" when they were in HS not that long ago.   Takes a while for them to develop the "team" mentality.  I thought  BP was going to blow an artery last night...bet his blood pressure was off the charts most of the game.  

Same everywhere when a a bunch of freshmen are being integrated into a team....which is why the big blue schools with all their "one and done' players still struggle  against lesser talent.     BUT....not much excuse for the poor FT shooting.....and for a 6'7 guy like DP to try living off 3 point shots. 

Good ramping up of our schedule thus far....not over matched and the younger guys should be improving game by game.  Outlook is good.  

3 hours ago, gravejd said:

The new guys need to start coming along. Cambridge and Flanigan look the best so far. But they both do the usual head scratcher plays from time to time. Johnson has looked good and bad. Hoping last night was just one of those bad games for him

I think the staff understands they're going to need a myriad of different options at the guard spots bc there's going to be more times where their guards are no shows offensively, like Samir for 90% of the game or Jvon earlier in the year. Those guys, and them being an offensive positive, that's just not going to be there as often as Harper/Brown. It's kinda like Pearl admitting he needs a 2018 Jvon, but two, one for the PG and the SG positions. I think the same desire he has for Johnson to be a legit rotation player, also holds for Turbo. They can get away with putting Flanigan at the 2 but with that position being asked to create so much this year, I see why he wants Turbo to be successful

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

for a 6'7 guy like DP to try living off 3 point shots

I don't think the offense is calling for DP to do more than throw them up or he would. The times where he has been asked to work in the arc, he's looked good. I just think the fact that he can be typically depended to be open and the fact that hes probably the most consistent 3pt shooter we got...I see why we kept running that corner 3 look. We encouraged far worse % treys

A lot of criticism today and I get it but I do want to point out something very positive. We are undefeated! At the time of posting this there are only 16 teams out of 350+ that are still undefeated. The team is still growing and learning to play together as a team and we're still winning games. We're going to see bad nights and bad performances but it's a very good sign that despite those bad performances we can still get the W. Purifoy, McCormick, Doughty, and Johnson all had off nights. Okoro, Wiley, and Flanigan stepped up when they needed to. A team isn't going to go very far with one good player so you need different people stepping up at different times.

Archived