Middle Ground?

AUght2win

9 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I want consistency.  If he can go back it up against an easier schedule next year, then he starts getting more goodwill.  But the offense needs to be better against top teams and we have to clip either UGA or LSU next year.  With the schedule, 10-2 should be the minimum expectation.  However I think his recruiting problems on the O-Line are going to bite us in the ass next season.

Is the schedule that much easier next year? I don’t think it is, other than the fact that we play UNC instead of Oregon. We have to go to UGA and UAT and we play LSU the week before UAT. That’s a tough draw and it’s another excuse that can be used by apologists - the schedule was too brutal.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, lca408 said:

Is the schedule that much easier next year? I don’t think it is, other than the fact that we play UNC instead of Oregon. We have to go to UGA and UAT and we play LSU the week before UAT. That’s a tough draw and it’s another excuse that can be used by apologists - the schedule was too brutal.

We lose UF on the road and get UK at home instead.  Also don't have a full month of being away from home.  If the o line gels at all, I think we could start 9-1 rather easily.

2 minutes ago, lca408 said:

Yes we play UNC and UK. Based off that it’s much easier

we play UGA, Bama and LSU every freaking year. That is nothing new.

17 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

I’m not a mod.  This isn’t communist Russia. You guys want to start a new thread every couple days beating the same dead horse and regurgitate the same dribble more power to ya.  Maybe a mod can combine them into a Gus sucks thread.

They will tell you that you don't have to click on them. Or respond, if it troubles you. But if you do, someone will, because, as you said, this isn't communist Russia. 

People are still not convinced of change, lasting change, desire for change, capability of change, or anything or anyone that exists to require needed change on the part of a very highly-paid individual, results immaterial and tenure apparently interminable, who does expected things well but unexpected things inexplicably oddly...ranging in definition from incompetent at the strongest to poorly-executed at the mildest. But you know this. 

It will continue until lasting change in one form or the other--the person, the position, the style of game-and-personnel decision-making, the results--comes Auburn's way. 

Think of it like the recent Iron Bowl, about which we rejoice, give due credit to due parties, and have made this known in many other threads. Chess match, point-counterpoint the whole game. That's this message board in a nutshell...stir the pot, pot meet kettle, and the beat goes on. Enter at your own risk. 😉😁🦋

12 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

We lose UF on the road and get UK at home instead.  Also don't have a full month of being away from home.  If the o line gels at all, I think we could start 9-1 rather easily.

Let’s hope so!

9 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

They will tell you that you don't have to click on them. Or respond, if it troubles you. But if you do, someone will, because, as you said, this isn't communist Russia. 

People are still not convinced of change, lasting change, desire for change, capability of change, or anything or anyone that exists to require needed change on the part of a very highly-paid individual, results immaterial and tenure apparently interminable, who does expected things well but unexpected things inexplicably oddly...ranging in definition from incompetent at the strongest to poorly-executed at the mildest. But you know this. 

It will continue until lasting change in one form or the other--the person, the position, the style of game-and-personnel decision-making, the results--comes Auburn's way. 

Think of it like the recent Iron Bowl, about which we rejoice, give due credit to due parties, and have made this known in many other threads. Chess match, point-counterpoint the whole game. That's this message board in a nutshell...stir the pot, pot meet kettle, and the beat goes on. Enter at your own risk. 😉😁🦋

Him winning is the best thing to happen to my fandom. Not because I am back on the Bus but only because the excuses are gone. No more excuses from people that we just have to recruit better or he has a freshman QB. The standard has been that no other coach can compete with Saban like Gus. Well guess what, he proven he can go toe to toe with Saban, there is no reason why he can’t with Kirby Smart or Coach O.

Sigh...I don’t believe anything will really change with Gus. But...because I’m a naive dumbass I will get excited next July, look at the schedule and see how well we could start, get my hopes up, get excited...and then ol Lucy will pull that football right out from under me once again...and I suspect we’ll be having this same conversation at this same time next year with all the usual suspects from the Gus Gang and the anti Gus gang... 

All that said...I’m enjoying the hell outta that win. 😁

54 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Don't forget he brought back JB, kept him after last year, and isn't getting rid of him now

Serious question.  Is JB really the problem with the oline or is he just fruit of the poisonous tree?

1 hour ago, aucanucktiger said:

Here's a stat, less than a week after laying 34 pts against this Bama D y'all are already back with the bad O blather. Couldnt be the underachieving seniors on the O line, nope must be Malzahn's O.

Malzahn Derangement Syndrome. You read it here first. Kind of.

O Line = Offensive Line

Malzahn's O = Malzahn's Offense

Therefore the O line is part of Malzahn's Offense...but you had to know that before you posted. 

8 minutes ago, The Freak said:

Serious question.  Is JB really the problem with the oline or is he just fruit of the poisonous tree?

I think we can do much better, both recruiting and coaching. Problem is a coach won't come in for a lame duck coach and that's what most of the fraternity sees Gus as.

24 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

Sigh...I don’t believe anything will really change with Gus. But...because I’m a naive dumbass I will get excited next July, look at the schedule and see how well we could start, get my hopes up, get excited...and then ol Lucy will pull that football right out from under me once again...and I suspect we’ll be having this same conversation at this same time next year with all the usual suspects from the Gus Gang and the anti Gus gang... 

All that said...I’m enjoying the hell outta that win. 😁

Whatever you do just don't turn around and you'll be fine.

giphy (3).gif

2 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Another "fan" gonna "hold Gus accountable". I'm sure he's shaking in his shoes. How long til you figured out what happened on the last play dude? 7 years in a row of being in the top 10 at some point during the season? Malzahn is hoping he impresses you next season no doubt.

How else would UGA, LSU, or Bama get some quality wins if they didn't always fluff us in the rankings. They are doing it with Big 10 schools this year for OSU. 

I'm in an a weird spot on Gus. I'm not a fan of his total body of work, and while I'm very happy with the Bama win, I'm still disappointed in what could've been with just an ounce of offense against LSU, UF, and UGA. 

Gus has earned next season, but if we continue to see more of the same, and still look incompetent on offense against our rivals, there's some serious soul searching to be had in the Athletic Department. 

13 minutes ago, gr82be said:

O Line = Offensive Line

Malzahn's O = Malzahn's Offense

Therefore the O line is part of Malzahn's Offense...but you had to know that before you posted. 

No, s/he hopes their saltiness will mask their lack of a viable point. 

3 hours ago, Win4AU said:

Oh Good.  Another thread to complain about Gus.  Offense sucks, can’t develop Qb, can’t recruit Oline, can’t beat UGA, LSU, Bama, He’s an 8-5 high school coach with an elementary passing scheme, can’t win bowl games, chews double bubble, 9-3, about to be back to back Pac 12 champ.  What did I miss?  

You missed the point of the thread.

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

But the OP wasn't a bashing post. Neither have any of the others. Well, except mine about Hockey...but again who cares?

Dude!

fight.gif

So on!

fight2.gif

3 hours ago, DAG said:

Him winning is the best thing to happen to my fandom. Not because I am back on the Bus but only because the excuses are gone. No more excuses from people that we just have to recruit better or he has a freshman QB. The standard has been that no other coach can compete with Saban like Gus. Well guess what, he proven he can go toe to toe with Saban, there is no reason why he can’t with Kirby Smart or Coach O.

Torch has already been passed, even brought LSUfreek out of retirement

https://imgur.com/2RsvvzK

11 hours ago, AURandy56 said:

The offense was better, and I give Gus credit for that. However, the real difference in the game was 2 pick 6's by the AU defense. If not for those 14 Points, AU loses. Yes, Gus will be back next year. Let's see how he does with a whole new offensive line and quite a few new faces on defense. 

You can’t take 2 plays out and say everything else stays the same. For example if the first pick did not happen, we very well may held them to punt and we would have the ball in good field position. We may have driven for a score. Who knows. If the second pick would have not happened I know for a fact we would have not kicked off and them return it for a TD. Then they would not hav e kicked off and Whitlow fumbled on the first play which they took in for a score. So while you can say if those 2 scores did not happen,  I can also say those plays also led to UA scores. All those scores did is make the scores in the 40’s instead of the 30’s. We still win.

10 hours ago, Bro Johnny Mac said:

Gus’s flashes of brilliance against Bammer is the main reason he is still at AU.

He’s been average outside of that.

I’m hoping Gus can turn the corner this next year and win two out of three against our big three rivals.

My guess is that this time next year the fan base will either be on the bus or off it, once and for all

I think the hefty buyout is the main reason he’s still here.

10 hours ago, bigbird said:

To remove these threads from the main board, all you need to do is press Alt F4 and it'll hide them automatically

@GreenDrazi didn't appreciate my help?

Archived