Middle Ground?

AUght2win

Gus has given no indication he can meaningfully innovate his offense. Yes, he returns. Yes, I always hope for improvement despite his track record of insufferable stubbornness.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

You can’t take 2 plays out and say everything else stays the same. For example if the first pick did not happen, we very well may held them to punt and we would have the ball in good field position. We may have driven for a score. Who knows. If the second pick would have not happened I know for a fact we would have not kicked off and them return it for a TD. Then they would not hav e kicked off and Whitlow fumbled on the first play which they took in for a score. So while you can say if those 2 scores did not happen,  I can also say those plays also led to UA scores. All those scores did is make the scores in the 40’s instead of the 30’s. We still win.

Cool story, bro.    :thumbsup:   

2 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Gus has given no indication he can meaningfully innovate his offense. Yes, he returns. Yes, I always hope for improvement despite his track record of insufferable stubbornness.

I would disagree.  Short timing passes to the middle of the field, allowing the QB to pull the "read" and run outside the tackles, and actually being agressive to try and score with less than a minute before half time would be what I consider to be meaningful innovation to his offense this year.  We also didn't see him ride one back between the tackles 20 times a game (albeit injury to Whitlow has forced his hand on this). 

2 minutes ago, Methuselah said:

I would disagree.  Short timing passes to the middle of the field, allowing the QB to pull the "read" and run outside the tackles, and actually being agressive to try and score with less than a minute before half time would be what I consider to be meaningful innovation to his offense this year.  We also didn't see him ride one back between the tackles 20 times a game (albeit injury to Whitlow has forced his hand on this). 

He rode Whitlow until he couldn’t.

10 hours ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

How else would UGA, LSU, or Bama get some quality wins if they didn't always fluff us in the rankings. They are doing it with Big 10 schools this year for OSU. 

I'm in an a weird spot on Gus. I'm not a fan of his total body of work, and while I'm very happy with the Bama win, I'm still disappointed in what could've been with just an ounce of offense against LSU, UF, and UGA. 

Gus has earned next season, but if we continue to see more of the same, and still look incompetent on offense against our rivals, there's some serious soul searching to be had in the Athletic Department. 

I can’t address canuck directly because it makes my IQ drop too low to type but is there a worse argument than “he’s had us in the top 10 at some point in every season “?   Uhhhhh so what? How many times have we FINISHED in the top 10? That matters. This year may be one of those years, although he earned by LOSING close games to good teams. Being in the top 10 at some point is meaningless. Its a dumb argument. I hope Gus can replicate the Iron Bowl next year against our other rivals and not wet the bed offensively in the big games.

14 hours ago, AUght2win said:

In the age of the internet, most of us don't have nuanced views on things. Whether it's politics, sports, whatever - people are so all-or-nothing and dogmatic.

Two weeks ago the board was in unison that Gus had to go. Now it's in unison that Gus is the future and his detractors must go. Maybe the answer, like most things in life, is a middle ground?

Gus' win over the Turds was fantastic. It salvaged a season. He showed some of the ingenuity that reminded us all how uniquely brilliant he can be. It was a big victory and every last one of us should savor it, no doubt about it.

But sixty minutes doesn't absolve Gus from everything he has done or failed to do over the past 7 seasons. This year, he has shown this offense won't work without major adjustments to the playbook, the staff, and/or the play calling responsibilities. We still have serious O-Line and development issues. And we are still just a pathetic 7-14 against our rivals under Gus. 

So how about we congratulate Gus and the team for this Iron Bowl classic, cheer for them with all our hearts going into 2020, but not be so bipolar as to take all the heat off Gus. In 2020, he should still be coaching for his job. His 8th season is not a rebuilding year. We need results. Let's root for Gus to get those results, and be prepared to hold him accountable if he doesn't.

It's always close with him, he's on the cusp for sure.

We had 5 big games this year against top talent teams. We went 2-3, change that to 3-2 with a win over either LSU or Florida and I don't think there's really any grumblings. Sure, some people will always complain, but I don't think there's any real negativity if the season stays the same except we beat LSU and look just slightly better vs UGA.

People love bringing up the SoS, and it can be a bane or a boon. It offers a lot of opportunity for redemption, but having a continuous losing record vs all those top tier opponents really hurts.

I've been saying for a year+ that I think 2020 is Gus's last year with Auburn, I haven't really changed my mind on that... but I think people get confused and think that means I want Gus gone then, I don't. I want to see 2020 be an offensive explosion and Auburn to just wreck everything on their schedule. But I'm not betting on it.

17 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

I can’t address canuck directly because it makes my IQ drop too low to type but is there a worse argument than “he’s had us in the top 10 at some point in every season “?   Uhhhhh so what? How many times have we FINISHED in the top 10? That matters. This year may be one of those years, although he earned by LOSING close games to good teams. Being in the top 10 at some point is meaningless. Its a dumb argument. I hope Gus can replicate the Iron Bowl next year against our other rivals and not wet the bed offensively in the big games.

Yeah.  We're recruiting in the Top 10 every year, so we're expected to be a Top 10 team. 

Our schedule is usually pretty easy early in the season, so of course we'll be ranked high early on.

If anything, 'We were highly ranked early' and then dropping when we play the big boys is an indictment of a team not living up to it potential. 

Many think Gus is holding us back.  I think our congenital blind homerism is just as much to blame.  

1 hour ago, Methuselah said:

None of that is innovation. Digs and slants aren't new and we've seen other QBs keep reads before in his offense. 

1 hour ago, triangletiger said:

I think the hefty buyout is the main reason he’s still here.

I believe you're right. If there's any silver lining, this contract situation is like knowing that planes can be a weapon after 9/11. We didn't see it coming, but we won't miss it to this magnitude again. 

Good to see that despite the huge and mostly unexpected win over bama, that everything is back to normal on this site....well mostly back to normal. 

Bashers are still bashing of course,  but one big change....after allowing bama to score 45 points,  the "Steele for King" theme seems to have disappeared..at least for a while. .   

I'm hoping that AU's Defense will throttle someone in a NY6 bowl game so the offense does not have to bail them out again.....and we  can get the discussions back to where they  belong for the faithful posters on this Forum. .

Meanwhile.....War Eagle AU fans. It's great to be an Auburn Tiger..

Plus an interesting day of football ahead of us. 

9 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Good to see that despite the huge and mostly unexpected win over bama, that everything is back to normal on this site....well mostly back to normal. 

Bashers are still bashing of course,  but one big change....after allowing bama to score 45 points,  the "Steele for King" theme seems to have disappeared..at least for a while. .   

I'm hoping that AU's Defense will throttle someone in a NY6 bowl game so the offense does not have to bail them out again.....and we  can get the discussions back to where they  belong for the faithful posters on this Forum. .

Meanwhile.....War Eagle AU fans. It's great to be an Auburn Tiger..

Plus an interesting day of football ahead of us. 

War Eagle 64. Don't forget the D scored twice and Carlson added 12 too

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

So the offense does not have to bail them out again....

I see you're removing all doubt.

Just now, CAReeves2010 said:

War Eagle 64. Don't forget the D scored twice and Carlson added 12 too

22 points on offense is just about right. Without the D we lose going away.

14 hours ago, AURealist said:

lsu,uga,uat

2-5, 2-6, 3-4

Gus has 7 wins and 15 losses.  

He returns next year.  Let's hope he improves.  

To be fair those three teams are 3 of the best programs in  college football. Auburn has more success under Malzahn against Bama than any other program. I totally get the disappointment. But all in all Auburn has acquitted self fairly well against Bama

GEORGIA AND LSU not so much. But ibreel as if things with Auburn are built in a way that the future will change that stat.  And 9 and 3 with a true freshman qb is pretty damn impressive. 

13 minutes ago, bigbird said:

22 points on offense is just about right. Without the D we lose going away.

I'm confused why would we be seperating Carlson points. The offense scored th hose points rught?

36 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I'm hoping that AU's Defense will throttle someone in a NY6 bowl game so the offense does not have to bail them out again

😂😂😂
Seriously....this really hasn’t happened in about 5 years.

15 hours ago, AUght2win said:

In the age of the internet, most of us don't have nuanced views on things. Whether it's politics, sports, whatever - people are so all-or-nothing and dogmatic.

Two weeks ago the board was in unison that Gus had to go. Now it's in unison that Gus is the future and his detractors must go. Maybe the answer, like most things in life, is a middle ground?

Gus' win over the Turds was fantastic. It salvaged a season. He showed some of the ingenuity that reminded us all how uniquely brilliant he can be. It was a big victory and every last one of us should savor it, no doubt about it.

But sixty minutes doesn't absolve Gus from everything he has done or failed to do over the past 7 seasons. This year, he has shown this offense won't work without major adjustments to the playbook, the staff, and/or the play calling responsibilities. We still have serious O-Line and development issues. And we are still just a pathetic 7-14 against our rivals under Gus. 

So how about we congratulate Gus and the team for this Iron Bowl classic, cheer for them with all our hearts going into 2020, but not be so bipolar as to take all the heat off Gus. In 2020, he should still be coaching for his job. His 8th season is not a rebuilding year. We need results. Let's root for Gus to get those results, and be prepared to hold him accountable if he doesn't.

Great post. 

11 hours ago, bigbird said:

I think we can do much better, both recruiting and coaching. Problem is a coach won't come in for a lame duck coach and that's what most of the fraternity sees Gus as.

Basically coaches see what we see in Gus a coach that cannot consistently beat our three biggest rivals.  This consistently keeps Gus in the hot seat.

6 minutes ago, shabby said:

To be fair those three teams are 3 of the best programs in  college football. Auburn has more success under Malzahn against Bama than any other program. I totally get the disappointment. But all in all Auburn has acquitted self fairly well against Bama

GEORGIA AND LSU not so much. But ibreel as if things with Auburn are built in a way that the future will change that stat.  And 9 and 3 with a true freshman qb is pretty damn impressive. 

Yeah, maybe right now, those programs are highly ranked but that doesn’t mean there shouldn’t be any more wins in that group. Realistically Malzahn should be at least 4-4 against UGA, possibly 5-3 (2014, 2015, 2016). Against LSU, probably 4-3 or at least 3-4 (2017 and 2018 come to mind). Instead, he’s 2-6 and 2-5 respectively. 

3-4 against UAT is respectable in the age of Saban, but to not have better records against the other two, especially when there have been several years where Auburn was clearly the better team/program at the time, is disappointing and a strike against him.

I just don’t understand why Gus can have these brilliant, out-of-nowhere games against Bama and braindead we’ll-be-lucky-to-score-15 against everyone else. It’s like he’s got a small jar of coaching dust on his mental shelf and knows he needs to save most of it for Bama. I wasn’t able to watch most of the game, so I don’t know if he ran different plays, if we just executed better, or if it’s just the Iron Bowl. Can someone help me out? What I do know is that, in this day in age, even with our schedule, if you beat Bama you should be playing for championships

3 minutes ago, shabby said:

Yes, we play the best teams in college football.  The 3 in the 9-3 are against 3 of the 5 good teams we played.  I want Auburn to be one of those teams that wins against the great opponents.    

To me, this has been just just another Auburn season of our rivals building great teams and going to the show while we're celebrating a one-game uptick over an otherwise typical Auburn year.   

I understand that some people think this is good enough.  I don't understand trying to sell a mostly average year as some great step forward for this program.     

What is it that you feel exists in Auburn's future that is going to change our losing ways against LSU, UGA, uat and the occasion game against other good teams?  

34 minutes ago, shabby said:

I'm confused why would we be seperating Carlson points. The offense scored th hose points rught?

No, special team scored those once the offense failed to continue a drive.

Would you credit a kick return TD to the offense?

12 hours ago, Win4AU said:

I’m not a mod.  This isn’t communist Russia. You guys want to start a new thread every couple days beating the same dead horse and regurgitate the same dribble more power to ya.  Maybe a mod can combine them into a Gus sucks thread.

They did.

It's called the AUFamily Football Forum.

1 hour ago, nixtosanders94 said:

Okay, how bout this?

Auburn always starts the year undefeated!

Also, really, 4.5 losses per year is CLOSE to being undefeated every year!

OH, ALSO, they only have THREE losses this year.  So even if they lose the bowl game, it doesn't matter, because at some point, there were only 3 losses!!!  ....and the losses were against really good teams, so they only count half.  So really it's sorta like only having 1-1/2 losses....now THAT is a moral victory.

Yes, I feel better about Gus already.  Wow, ignoring the bad football feels AMAZING!

Archived