Kiffin to Ole Miss

GwillMac6

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
By Zach Barnett -

Ole Miss is nearing a deal to make Lane Kiffin its head coach, according to a report Friday night from Neal McCready of Rebel Grove.

The hiring would represent a dramatic return to the SEC for Kiffin, who spent one action-packed season as Tennessee’s head coach in 2009 and three ultra-successful seasons as Alabama’s offensive coordinator from 2014-16.

Kiffin is currently the head coach at Florida Atlantic, where he went 11-3 with a Conference USA championship in 2017, 5-7 in 2018 and now sits at 9-3 with a chance at a second C-USA title waiting on Saturday. As such, a deal is not expected until after the Owls complete their regular season.

Kiffin’s previous stints in the SEC saw him tumble down and then climb the coaching ladder.

In 2009, he picked fights with Urban Meyer and Nick Saban as he attempted to ignite a stagnant Volunteer brand. After leading the Vols to a 7-6 season, he bolted for USC.

Pushed out at USC after the 2013 season, Kiffin was apparently headed for a time out of coaching until Saban hired him to coordinate Alabama’s offense.

Kiffin’s three seasons in Tuscaloosa the Crimson Tide to three SEC championships with three different players at three different positions (WR Amari Cooper, RB Derrick Henry, QB Jalen Hurts) winning the SEC Offensive Player of the Year award.

Kiffin will inherit an Ole Miss program in a state of transition. Hugh Freeze resigned in the summer of 2017, and Matt Luke was retained full-time after leading the Rebels to a 6-6 record amid a bowl ban. Luke went 5-7 and 4-8 in 2018-19 and fired after the regular season. Keith Carter was named Ole Miss’ full-time AD on Nov. 22, and Dr. Glen Boyce named the university’s chancellor on Oct. 7.

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

That could be another tough game

I wish he would go to Arkansas. Ole Miss CAN be a 8 win program with the right coach in place. State of MS is a really underrated state when it comes to talent and Kiffin def can recruit.

Sources: Deal in place to bring Lane Kiffin to Ole Miss

By Zach Barnett -

Update: Sources tell FootballScoop a deal is in place to bring Lane Kiffin to Oxford.

Ole Miss is nearing a deal to make Lane Kiffin its head coach, according to a report Friday night from Neal McCready of Rebel Grove.

The hiring would represent a dramatic return to the SEC for Kiffin, who spent one action-packed season as Tennessee’s head coach in 2009 and three ultra-successful seasons as Alabama’s offensive coordinator from 2014-16.

37 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I wish he would go to Arkansas. Ole Miss CAN be a 8 win program with the right coach in place. State of MS is a really underrated state when it comes to talent and Kiffin def can recruit.

I think 10 wins is their ceiling unless they’re cheating on a Hugh Freeze level. Right now, with MSU hovering near the bottom of the conference, they don’t have as much in-state competition in recruiting, would have to compete with us, UAT, and probably UT for the Memphis area kids. This would be a solid move that could yield immediate results, especially with Plumlee being a Freshman. LSU is probably taking a step back next year, UAT is still led by Saban, and we’re an 8 win team unless the O line turns out way better than expected. That’s it in the West. Lots of room for an Ole Miss team to make some noise.

Ole Miss is a team in recent years that gave Alabama special fits. Just the thought of this makes me smile. He doesn't seem to stay anywhere long, though. 

images.jpeg

I realize it's probably way more money to go to Ole Miss, but I'd be REALLY hard pressed to leave life on the beach with little pressure for a lower tier program in the SEC West 

2 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I really thought FSU was going to get him.  I'm not shocked at choosing Ole Miss over Arkansas.  I am shocked at OM over FSU.

I don't know.  Joey Freshwater cruising the Grove?  Not hard to see at all.  😊

25 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I really thought FSU was going to get him.  I'm not shocked at choosing Ole Miss over Arkansas.  I am shocked at OM over FSU.

I thought Norvell was leading guy for FSU?

Power Brokers in Oxford making bold decisions fast for a major coach upgrade. 

I bet it loosens a lot of donor purse strings, too.  

57 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I think Norvell to FSU has been "done" since Stoops turned them down. Just have to wait for their season to end. I do not think there is any way he would of chosen FSU over Ole Miss if given the opportunity.

33 minutes ago, CR said:

I thought Norvell was leading guy for FSU?

its a weird triangle for those three teams and Kiffin and Norvell, but I think Kiffin's leading two names have been Arky and OM. And I think Norvell's leading two have been FSU and Arky 

1 hour ago, Auburn Kev said:

This sounds like the exact wording you would use for a coaching rumor that someone says right before they are proven to be as completely wrong as possible. 

Archived