Is Russia an ally?

TexasTiger

Is Russia an ally?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Is Russia an ally?

• Yes
    • No

4 hours ago, NolaAuTiger said:

In an attenuated since, I suppose they are. What do you think Tex?

Not sure what you mean. I don’t see them as allies at all. We have relationships with a variety of countries out of necessity, but our allies are typically those with whom we have a greater alignment of values. I would think Canada and the UK are two prime examples of our closest allies.

21 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

We have relationships with a variety of countries out of necessity, but our allies are typically those with whom we have a greater alignment of values. I would think Canada and the UK are two prime examples of our closest allies.

Well taken. I especially appreciate this: “We have relationships with a variety of countries out of necessity...” but that doesn’t make a particular country an ally, i.e, Russia.

Thanks.

4 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Thanks, exactly what I thought.

Does it concern you that almost half our military sees a country as an ally that sees us as their key strategic foe?

18 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Does it concern you that almost half our military sees a country as an ally that sees us as their key strategic foe?

Find it difficult to believe. Are they receiving "disinformation" that the civilian population is not receiving? 

19 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Find it difficult to believe. Are they receiving "disinformation" that the civilian population is not receiving? 

The interpretation that because people want cooperation with Russia that is same as being an ally.....gotta question that.....otherwise China must be a major ally too.

And of course when Mitt Romney told Barrack Obama in a debate that Russia was our " biggest enemy".....Obama mocked him as being out of touch and stuck in the cold war mindset.     And then there was HC with the famous "reset" button and of course,  the hot mic of Obama assuring the Russians that after the election he could be more flexible.

Could it be that those dem comments might have influenced some people too :dunno: though TT probably missed those exchanges. 

Lots of that "disinformation" has been flowing from leading dems for the past 9 years at least....and maybe has taken effect. 

And NO...they are not an ally....

35 minutes ago, AU64 said:

The interpretation that because people want cooperation with Russia that is same as being an ally.....gotta question that.....otherwise China must be a major ally too.

And of course when Mitt Romney told Barrack Obama in a debate that Russia was our " biggest enemy".....Obama mocked him as being out of touch and stuck in the cold war mindset.     And then there was HC with the famous "reset" button and of course,  the hot mic of Obama assuring the Russians that after the election he could be more flexible.

Could it be that those dem comments might have influenced some people too :dunno: though TT probably missed those exchanges. 

Lots of that "disinformation" has been flowing from leading dems for the past 9 years at least....and maybe has taken effect. 

And NO...they are not an ally....

According to the article it is "predominantly" President Trump leading the charge in Russia "sympathy"? 

2 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

According to the article it is "predominantly" President Trump leading the charge in Russia "sympathy"? 

So the soft stance by Obama for two terms had no influence on public opinion?  Right up until 2016 when the question of Russian election meddling came up, BO basically defended the Russians and took no action over Crimea. US policy toward Russia has been bad for a dozen years....not just the last 3. 

https://thehill.com/opinion/white-house/397212-president-trump-is-tougher-on-russia-in-18-months-than-obama-in-eight

9 minutes ago, AU64 said:

US policy toward Russia has been bad for a dozen years....not just the last 3.

Understand 64. Strange that we have been so inundated with Russia for only the past 3 years. 

Depends on who you ask. To NASA, Russia is our ally; to the DoD, absolutely not!

On 12/17/2019 at 6:26 PM, caleb1633 said:

Depends on who you ask. To NASA, Russia is our ally; to the DoD, absolutely not!

Good point....we've been buying space hardware from them since Obama cut the NASA budget.  Our astronauts have been hitching rides on Russian rockets for a while.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/space/moon-mars/news/a28304/russia-nasa-cis-lunar/

38 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Good point....we've been buying space hardware from them since Obama cut the NASA budget.  Our astronauts have been hitching rides on Russian rockets for a while.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/space/moon-mars/news/a28304/russia-nasa-cis-lunar/

Working in Huntsville, it's an interesting dichotomy having the Missile Defense Agency and NASA a stones throw from each other, simply because of the divergence of their approaches to foreign policy.

Archived