I'm fed up

AURex

At this point, I just don't know what to think. The refs basically ignore any sort of pass interference unless the defensive guy tackles the receiver to the ground while the ball is leaving the QB's hand. The announcers are commenting about defensive coaches telling DBs to "get your hands on them" and "be aggressive". You see DBs grabbing jerseys and pulling receivers back, you see DBs with hand on the hip pushing receivers away, you see DBs hanging on receivers before the ball arrives. The refs just don't call PI anymore. Announcers just say that the refs are "legtting them play," but apparently that means the refs are ignoring the rules and letting the teams maul each other.

Same deal with holding. Apparently, unless an OL takes a DL to the ground by pulling him down by facemask or tearing his helmet off and stomping his face, the holding penalty is no longer enforced. Read one official comment that there is holding on every play, but if we call it, the game would grind to a halt and the game could never proceed.

I don't watch pro football. I have heard that in the pro game a DB cannot even touch a receiver after he is 5 yards off the line of scrimmage.  Is that true? And is holding called in pro ball more reasonably than I'm seeing in college ball?

6 minutes ago, AURex said:

At this point, I just don't know what to think. Watching SEC games -- the refs basically ignore any sort of pass interference unless the defensive guy tackles the receiver to the ground while the ball is leaving the QB's hand. The announcers are commenting about defensive coaches telling DBs to "get your hands on them" and "be aggressive". You see DBs grabbing jerseys and pulling receivers back, you see DBs with hand on the hip pushing receivers away, you see DBs hanging on receivers arm before the ball arrives. The refs just don't call PI anymore. Announcers just say that the refs are "letting them play," but apparently that means the refs are ignoring the rules and letting the teams maul each other.

Same deal with holding. Apparently, unless an OL takes a DL to the ground by pulling him down by facemask or tearing his helmet off and stomping his face, the holding penalty is no longer enforced. Read one official comment that there is holding on every play, but if we call it, the game would grind to a halt and the game could never proceed. I'm old enough to remember the days when OL coukd not grab jersey and had to keep hands inside the pads of defensive players. Now they wrap their arm around the neck, hold from behind if they are beat, jump on rushers' backs.

I don't watch pro football. I have heard that in the pro game a DB cannot even touch a receiver after he is 5 yards off the line of scrimmage.  Is that true? And is holding called in pro ball more reasonably than I'm seeing in college ball?

I notice it more in the SEC than any other conference, and yes its gotten ridiculous. A DB for thuga tugged the LSU WR's jersey from the 10 yd line all the way into the endzone and not a single flag. Once you start trying to pick and choose when you are going to call a penalty instead of just enforcing the rules, the results aren't going to be fair.

21 minutes ago, AURex said:

The refs just don't call PI anymore.

Seriously? They freaking call it all the time. It's absurd at how DBs are abused by receivers and refs. What they don't ever call is OPI or uncatchable.

8 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Seriously? They freaking call it all the time. It's absurd at how DBs are abused by receivers and refs. What they don't ever call is OPI or uncatchable.

Just tonite I watched #1 push off at least 3 times to get open and on his TD catch there was a  obvious pick play that took 24 out of the play

Don’t even get started on the non calls for holding by OL, TE and WR.  They say there is holding somewhere on every play.  Then how is it that it is never called?  

1 hour ago, AURex said:

At this point, I just don't know what to think. The refs basically ignore any sort of pass interference unless the defensive guy tackles the receiver to the ground while the ball is leaving the QB's hand. The announcers are commenting about defensive coaches telling DBs to "get your hands on them" and "be aggressive". You see DBs grabbing jerseys and pulling receivers back, you see DBs with hand on the hip pushing receivers away, you see DBs hanging on receivers before the ball arrives. The refs just don't call PI anymore. Announcers just say that the refs are "legtting them play," but apparently that means the refs are ignoring the rules and letting the teams maul each other.

Same deal with holding. Apparently, unless an OL takes a DL to the ground by pulling him down by facemask or tearing his helmet off and stomping his face, the holding penalty is no longer enforced. Read one official comment that there is holding on every play, but if we call it, the game would grind to a halt and the game could never proceed.

As far as the pass interference goes I am glad that the refs are letting them play because what i have been seeing is that the offensive guy would mug a DB and the refs were not calling it and I saw when receivers would make their cut they would get separation by pushing off no call.  Refs would not call offensive PI so by them letting them play it is leveling the playing field for the defense.

And yes in the NFL a db cannot chuck a receiver after 5 yards and can only hit that receiver once within that 5 yard space.  It's called the Mel Blount rule.

6 hours ago, AURex said:

All true, especially for Bama...but not so much for AU. For AU, these get called including times when no one else can see the infraction.  (It's the Auburn exception. For AU offensive linemen and DB's, all rules are enforced fully. Or at least it seems that way...)

I pointedly don't gripe about reffing but what I'd consider blatant and chronic holding at the line of scrimmage has gone uncalled in critical situations so much this season (and not just vs brown & davidson) that I've scoured the web for a 2019 ncaa or other directive to officials re "situational" holding. Don't see one. 

RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE

But seriously, what would Saturday be without screaming aT THE %^$#*(@ REFS THAT'S HOLDING HE'S LITERALLY GIVING HIM A WEDGIE WHAT ARE YOU DOING

At this rate, in a couple years it's going to look so much like professional wrestling that they're not going to throw a flag for holding until one of the OL coaches throws a folding chair onto the field.

13 hours ago, bigbird said:

It's also true that they don't call pushoffs either, but OP's complaint is true.  What I hate about it is they ignore it 90% of the time and then arbitrarily call it when they want to and decide games.  Whatever you do, be consistent.  But apparently that is too much to ask for.

15 hours ago, AURex said:

The argument that the game will grind to a halt plays into “standardized deviation,” the normalizing of doing something wrong. It has become so prevalent that it appears harmful to do the correct thing or in this case call the game fairly. When in fact, after a short calibration period (long in the case of Bama), we would return to normal pace with less holding/PI being committed. It is only done because they know they won’t get flagged for it. In short, the refs are full of bovine excrement.

16 hours ago, bigbird said:

I agree . I especially frown on the defense PI when both are running down the field and the receiver stops to comeback thru the DB to get the ball and they call it in the defense . I mean what’s the DB supposed to do follow farther back so he can stop when the receiver does. Unless you grab or intimate the contact then it shouldn’t be called. 

17 hours ago, AURex said:

Great topic.  What I think is/was holding or PI is … … I don't know anymore.  That said, I'm sure it's a fine line to walk between the refs calling every single instance of those infractions and having a watchable football game.   And that has naturally led to coaches instructing their players to get away with what they can until it's called.  We all saw it last night in the conference championship games with the DB's tugging at the WR's jerseys.  I'm not a Ref Conspiracy Theorist, but I do think a tightening up of the rules needs to be emphasized.  The "bear hug" technique by OL is particularly galling to me.  Perhaps try calling everything for just one season and let's see how it goes?  I'd like to see something tried at least.   

I have a feeling that the no calls of holding on the OLine is an attempt to protect QBs from injury.  The Derrick Browns of the league could do significant damage. That’s the only real reason why I can think it is being blatantly overlooked.  

23 hours ago, alexava said:

I prefer the calls that benefit my team. I don’t like the other ones.  

If I had mod powers would have locked the thread after that one Alex. Great one!

7 hours ago, AUloggerhead said:

Perhaps try calling everything for just one season and let's see how it goes?  

If they call it how they're supposed to, every team in the conference has two losses.

No can do.

I'll never forget all the phony PI calls against us in '18 Lsu game. 

https://youtu.be/KWxP0X1YNaA

Archived