FSU hires Mike Norvell

GwillMac6

7 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

They are def not a blue blood. The only true blue bloods to me are Oklahoma, USC, Ohio State, Bama, Texas and Notre Dame. FSU I would put in the almost blue blood category along with us. Miami is the hardest one to gauge. They have 5 claimed natties but they are 73rd all time in wins lol. 

If we’re gonna call FSU a blue blood, we might as well say Auburn is too. 

13 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

If we’re gonna call FSU a blue blood, we might as well say Auburn is too. 

hahaha exactly. I do think we are the better program than FSU overall. National Media though would never give us that distinction and credit. We have more history and tradition overall throughout the longevity of the program and I think we are better set up for success.  FSU administration is cheap. Ours is def not. Our assistant salary pool is one of the top 5 in the country and has been for a long time. We complain about our facilities but FSU is even further behind than us. For basketball it is even worse. Like LOL they still play at the Tally Civic Center. They go to the NCAA Tourney almost every year now under Leonard Hamilton and you cannot get them a on campus arena?! hahaha.

FSU struggles with fan support. They only sell out the Clemson and florida gome games now IF  that. And yah AU may not have every seat filled up against the have nots of the SEC but I would say 95% is filled up. FSU in conference home games EVEN when they are good has chunks and chunks of empty seats.

17 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

hahaha exactly. I do think we are the better program than FSU overall. National Media though would never give us that distinction and credit. We have more history and tradition overall throughout the longevity of the program and I think we are better set up for success.  FSU administration is cheap. Ours is def not. Our assistant salary pool is one of the top 5 in the country and has been in a long time. We complain about our facilities but FSU is even further behind than us. For basketball it is even worse. Like LOL they still play at the Tally Civic Center. They go to the NCAA Tourney almost every year now under Leonard Hamilton and you cannot get them a on campus arena?! hahaha.

FSU struggles with fan support. They only sell out the Clemson and florida gome games now IF the do that. And yah AU may not have every seat filled up against the have nots of the SEC but I would say 95% is filled up. FSU in conference home games EVEN when they are good has chunks and chunks of empty seats.

FSU was close to going broke not that long ago. 

As far as tradition, they have their tomahawk chop(that still haunts me to this day after being in the Rose Bowl) and the Seminole on the horse(which is pretty cool I guess).

I’ll take our overall wins, Tiger Walk, and the single best pre game tradition in the history of college football—the flying of a ******* Eagle around the stadium(vibes to Nova as he enters retirement at 20 years old ☹️)

In games following his flights, the Auburn football team compiled a 44-14 record. During his reign as War Eagle VII, Auburn went 107-59 overall and played in two national championship games, winning the 2010 title.

Just now, ShocksMyBrain said:

FSU was close to going broke not that long ago. 

As far as tradition, they have their tomahawk chop(that still haunts me to this day after being in the Rose Bow) and the Seminole on the horse(which is pretty cool I guess).

I’ll take our overall wins, Tiger Walk, and the single best pre game tradition in the history of college football—the flying of a ******* Eagle around the stadium(vibes to Nova as he enters retirement at 20 years old ☹️)

YAH YAH YAH!!!! HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL YAH!!!!!! You got me fired up!!!!!!!! I love it brodie!!! Keep these dagger to FSU hearts posts coming! lol. I have enjoyed immensely them being absolutely terrible the past 3 years.

15 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

YAH YAH YAH!!!! HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL YAH!!!!!! You got me fired up!!!!!!!! I love it brodie!!! Keep these dagger to FSU hearts posts coming! lol. I have enjoyed immensely them being absolutely terrible the past 3 years.

Out of likes ...Great post

Felony State University

Free Shoes U

Crab leg College?

Seems like a great place for a promising career to take a major step back, but I’m just a casual, biased observer.  

Wait makes them dangerous is their access to a talent rich recruiting base. Close to Georgia, Alabama, and of course they are in the hotbed of Florida. Get the right coach and staff and they will be threat again in a shorter time than some.

19 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

One of my favorties from the 90's

bowden.gif

• 2 weeks later...

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – Kenny Dillingham wasted little time establishing expectations for Florida State’s new offense.

Hired last week by Mike Norvell to be Florida State’s offensive coordinator, Dillingham said that the new-look Seminoles are moving back toward the “pro-style” offense, but that they’ll move with the pace of the modern spreads.

More than anything, though, Dillingham expects big numbers up and down the box score.

“If you play quarterback here, you’re going to account for 3,500 yards, whether it’s rushing, whether it’s (passing), at a minimum,” he said during an introductory press conference on Monday afternoon. “And have roughly 35 touchdowns.”

That sounds like an awfully high goal, given that the last guy to check those boxes in a Florida State uniform won a Heisman Trophy.

But take a look at Dillingham’s track record – and his history with Norvell – and, all of a sudden, it seems much more attainable.

Norvell’s quarterback at Memphis in 2019, Brady White, threw for 3,560 yards and 33 touchdowns and added three more scores on the ground. And, during Dillingham’s and Norvell’s three years together with the Tigers, not a single quarterback threw for fewer than 3,698 yards or 32 touchdowns.

No surprise, then, that Dillingham plans to replicate that success in Tallahassee.

“We’re a system built for playmakers,” he said, echoing Norvell’s comments from last week.

“And when you look at that past, and you look at this offense and what it’s accomplished – I mean, Coach Norvell and this system, (it’s) one of two systems over the last seven years to have a 1,000-yard receiver every single season.”

Only 29 years old, Dillingham began coaching his high school’s junior varsity team at the age of 17.

A few years later, while coaching a high school team in Arizona, he first crossed paths with Norvell.

Norvell at the time was serving as the offensive coordinator at Arizona State when a young coach approached him.

“I was nervous and I walked over to him and I said, ‘Hi, I’m Kenny. I coach at Chaparral High School,’” Dillingham remembered with a laugh. “I thought that was it. Just wanted to meet him. He was the top mind in college football. …

“And he goes, ‘Hey, nice to meet you. If there’s anything I can ever do for you – (if) you want to come up to my office and watch film and sit in on quarterback meetings, you can.’

“Little did he know,” Dillingham continued, “that I was going to sit in every single meeting the rest of the spring.”

Their success at Memphis led Dillingham to an opportunity he couldn’t refuse, and he joined Gus Malzahn’s staff at Auburn prior to the 2019 season.

But even as he helped guide the Tigers to a 9-3 season, a top-10 national ranking and an emphatic win over Alabama to close out the regular season, Dillingham still kept tabs on his old friend up the road in Memphis.

They’d often talk scheme and football philosophy via text message, and would even send film clips for the other to analyze.

Dillingham was happy at Auburn, but when Norvell made the move to Florida State last week – and then offered Dillingham a place on his staff – it made for an easy decision.

“He’s always a guy I want to work for,” Dillingham said. “He’s ‘the’ guy I want to work for. …

“I know we have a really strong relationship and I know how well we work together.”

That will be a refreshing change of pace for the Seminoles, who over the last few years have seen their offensive coaching staff mixed and matched with various pieces from around the country.

While game-day responsibilities, play-calling and otherwise, have yet to be announced, Dillingham estimated that he and Norvell are “on the same page 99-percent of the time,” and that they’ll often bring similar ideas or approaches to a game plan without discussing it beforehand.

“The inner workings of how we operate is unique to probably anybody in college football,” Dillingham said. “… We just know how we think, we both know how we both want to attack. And I think that’s why it’s a unique dynamic between us. And that’s why I’m super excited to be back with him.”

That may be an understatement.

Asked how he and Norvell had picked things up after a year in different zip codes, Dillingham broke into a song:

“Re-u-nited and it feels so good,” he crooned, channeling the Peaches & Herb hit from 1979 – more than a decade before he was born.

Songs aside, Dillingham’s affection for Norvell is obvious. More than once he called Norvell one of the best offensive minds in college football, and praised the way that Norvell manages not only his players but his coaches as well.

Working for him is a challenge, but one that Dillingham knows comes with ample rewards. And it’s a challenge he could hardly wait to accept this time around.

“To be around a guy like Coach Norvell, one of the best offensive minds in college football, it challenges me,” Dillingham said. “It challenges our staff to put together the best plan. Because when you present it to Coach, when you do those things, the standard is excellence. And you’re going to have the answer. Every answer.

“Because that’s the standard he sets. And not just on offense. But in all phases of the program.”

13 hours ago, Auburn Kev said:

“If you play quarterback here, you’re going to account for 3,500 yards, whether it’s rushing, whether it’s (passing), at a minimum,” he said during an introductory press conference on Monday afternoon. “And have roughly 35 touchdowns.”

It looks like Dilly is excited to be able to get back to what he conceives (or his HC conceives) as the way to run a college offense.  I guess we will see if it is productive.

On 12/7/2019 at 10:12 PM, GwillMac6 said:

They are def not a blue blood. The only true blue bloods to me are Oklahoma, USC, Ohio State, Bama, Texas and Notre Dame. FSU I would put in the almost blue blood category along with us. Miami is the hardest one to gauge. They have 5 claimed natties but they are 73rd all time in wins lol. 

If we're including Notre Dame, I think we also have to include Michigan. Otherwise, totally agree.

FSU and Miami are actually quite similar IMO. FSU started with Bowden and, Crab Legs aside, might have ended with him. Miami started with Schnelly and might have ended with Coker. Too much talent in the state for them to stay down forever, but in terms of being the programs that owned CFB for 25 years, I don't see it happening again. The Florida directionals are starting to take a lot of those guys that Schnelly and Bowden built their programs out of. 

I agree that Auburn has a much deeper history than either and has been much more relevant than Miami for awhile now. And we're just a few plays away from saying the same thing about FSU. 

Clemson, uga, UF... Penn State, maybe? Honestly not sure who else exists on that next level with us. Oregon is a step below IMO. Maybe a big step below. 

5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

If we're including Notre Dame, I think we also have to include Michigan. Otherwise, totally agree.

FSU and Miami are actually quite similar IMO. FSU started with Bowden and, Crab Legs aside, might have ended with him. Miami started with Schnelly and might have ended with Coker. Too much talent in the state for them to stay down forever, but in terms of being the programs that owned CFB for 25 years, I don't see it happening again. The Florida directionals are starting to take a lot of those guys that Schnelly and Bowden built their programs out of. 

I agree that Auburn has a much deeper history than either and has been much more relevant than Miami for awhile now. And we're just a few plays away from saying the same thing about FSU. 

Clemson, uga, UF... Penn State, maybe? Honestly not sure who else exists on that next level with us. Oregon is a step below IMO. Maybe a big step below. 

I think Michigan is the most overrated program of all time personally. I know a lot of people say Notre Dame but I think people say that because of how they were recently before Brian Kelley. Michigans best coach ever who they and the national media glorify like he is some amazing coach never even won a national title lolololol. Was 5-12 in Bowl games. I know Notre Dame has not won since 88 but they have been def a blue blood and much more consistent as a program throughout college football history than Michigan.

Totally co sign with you everywhere else. Me and you are on this highway driving with the top down just CRUISING!!! lol

36 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I think Michigan is the most overrated program of all time personally. I know a lot of people say Notre Dame but I think people say that because of how they were recently before Brian Kelley. Their best coach ever who they and the national media glorify like he is some amazing coach never even won a national title lolololol. Was 5-12 in Bowl games. I know Notre Dame has not won since 88 but they have been def a blue blood and much more consistent as a program throughout college football history as Michigan.

Totally co sign with you everywhere else. Me and you are on this highway driving with the top down just CRUISING!!! lol

I love it when we're cruisin together!

At some point, TAMU's gonna hire their Dabo and we're all in deep doodoo but today is not that day!

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I love it when we're cruisin together!

At some point, TAMU's gonna hire their Dabo and we're all in deep doodoo but today is not that day!

AT SOME POINT WE WILL and EVERYONE will be in trouble!!!!!!! We have been riding blind when it comes to the Head Coach position since Dye AND STILL have pulled off 3 undefeated seasons. 3 Sec Titles and 1 Natty and it SHOULD of been A SECOND NATTY and 4 SEC titles but we choked vs Rocky Top and Peyton Manning ughhhhhhhhh!!!!! WHEN WE FIND OUR BRRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCE for football?!?!? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?! WE WILL BE UNSTOPPABLE!!!!!!!! 

erwewr.gif

19 hours ago, Auburn Kev said:

during Dillingham’s and Norvell’s three years together with the Tigers, not a single quarterback threw for fewer than 3,698 yards or 32 touchdowns.

tenor.gif

9 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

AT SOME POINT WE WILL and EVERYONE will be in trouble!!!!!!! We have been riding blind when it comes to the Head Coach position since Dye AND STILL have pulled off 3 undefeated seasons. 3 Sec Titles and 1 Natty and it SHOULD of been A SECOND NATTY and 4 SEC titles but we choked vs Rocky Top and Peyton Manning ughhhhhhhhh!!!!! WHEN WE FIND OUR BRRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCE for football?!?!? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?! WE WILL BE UNSTOPPABLE!!!!!!!! 

erwewr.gif

Thank you so much for this reminder.

(What's crazy is that we might already have that guy if he doesn't leave his chad hanging.)

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Thank you so much for this reminder.

(What's crazy is that we might already have that guy if he doesn't leave his chad hanging.)

jkjj.gif

16 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I think Michigan is the most overrated program of all time personally. I know a lot of people say Notre Dame but I think people say that because of how they were recently before Brian Kelley. Michigans best coach ever who they and the national media glorify like he is some amazing coach never even won a national title lolololol. Was 5-12 in Bowl games. I know Notre Dame has not won since 88 but they have been def a blue blood and much more consistent as a program throughout college football history than Michigan.

People always include Michigan as a 'blue blood' because they are considered by the NCAA to be football's 'winningest' team.   

All-time record: 962-345-36

Win percentage: .730

First season: 1879

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2019-09-22/college-footballs-9-winningest-teams

Archived