OUTBACK bowl.?

Quietmaninthecorner

I like the matchup and the bowl.  If we couldn’t have a NY6 game I would rather see us in Tampa than in the Citrus and lord knows everyone was tired of playing Wisconsin.  We especially wanted to avoid any chance of that because no one would have showed up to watch that again.  And I don’t think the Bammer fans are going to show up for the Citrus either.  

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Given the only realistic chance of NY6 game was the Cotton bowl against Memphis, I think things turned out just fine.

29 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

Given the only realistic chance of NY6 game was the Cotton bowl against Memphis, I think things turned out just fine.

I think it would have been an interesting game. Our OC came from Memphis, so it would turn into the Dillingham bowl. Memphis runs a similar offense and (obviously) plays weaker competition. We would have had an easy NY6 win. I would have preferred that to playing an overmatched team in the outback bowl. 

5 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Yeah, because it's so cool to pass judgment on how people spend their hard earned money.

Why I divide my money between The Domain, 6th, and Rainey! Equal opportunity alcohol consumer here! I also like to spend other peoples hard earned money at those locations also!

4 hours ago, Auburn Kev said:

Enjoyed that. Noticed that he pointed out who Auburn's 3 losses were, the strength of the SEC, then discussed Penn State/Wisconsin and began pointing to standards. Awareness of who you played, where you want to be, respecting them, and doing what it takes to make/stay that level.

Like his thoughts on the bowls. Last year is last year, it is something for people to do in the off season, but has nothing to do with the next year.

Looks like he would enjoy hockey also.

Well, the first time we played in the Outback Bowl we won the National Championship the very next season...

I actually thought we would get a New Years Six bowl, and wanted it for our seniors.  Outback Bowl isn't bad either.  We definitely have played in worse.

6 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Well, the last time we played in the Outback Bowl we won the National Championship the very next season...

I actually thought we would get a New Years Six bowl, and wanted it for our seniors.  Outback Bowl isn't bad either.  We definitely have played in worse.

False.  The last time we played in the Outback Bowl Wisconsin beat us in overtime.

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

False.  The last time we played in the Outback Bowl Wisconsin beat us in overtime.

Ah you are right sir!  My apologies.  I don't know why I forgot that one.  I will fix it now.

5 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Ah you are right sir!  My apologies.  I don't know why I forgot that one.  I will fix it now.

It's cool man.  Probably better if we all forgot that game.

48 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I don't know why I forgot that one.  

I sure do. I think most all of us have tried to

53 minutes ago, abw0004 said:
55 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Actually you might want to blow up your OP anyway, LOL...

The 2010 Natty didn't come after the first one either.  In fact, Auburn was not only in the '96 Outback bowl (losing ugly to Penn State) but was even in the Hall of Fame Bowl (which Outback bought the naming rights to), beating Ohio State, in 1990.

42 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

The 2010 Natty didn't come after the first one either.  In fact, Auburn was not only in the '96 Outback bowl (losing ugly to Penn State) but was even in the Hall of Fame Bowl (which Outback bought the naming rights to), beating Ohio State, in 1990.

jpozXCv.gif

1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

Auburn was not only in the '96 Outback bowl (losing ugly to Penn State)

Wasn’t there 15 inches of rain during that game? There was more than the 2009 West Virginia game because it rained before, all game and after. 

36 minutes ago, Viper said:

Wasn’t there 15 inches of rain during that game? There was more than the 2009 West Virginia game because it rained before, all game and after. 

It was definitely a muddy slog.  I think it was the old sombrero stadium too, which wasn't particularly nice.  I wasn't down here back then, but I have been to Raymond James and it's actually a fantastic venue now.  I was at the '10 Outback Bowl against NW and had a great time.....even though it was cold & rainy then too.  For that matter, I think the '90 HoF Bowl was rainy too.... So, apparently it rains on New Year's Day all the time down here, LOL!

48 minutes ago, Viper said:

Stephen Davis also got a concussion on the first drive of the game.  

16 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Stephen Davis also got a concussion on the first drive of the game.  

And Pat Nix couldn't pass in the rain. He had a problem gripping the ball. That was a miserable day.

15 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Some interesting info IMO, each team has 12 seasons without a loss. A bowl game with 24 undefeated seasons on the field? Minnesota hasn't been successful lately but they have pedigree - 4 national football titles, most recent one just before I was born (1960😁). 

On a less whimsical note, many of our players are not exactly tweeting happily about the committees rankings for Wisco and others and they apparently feel we should be in  different bowl. If our potential high draft picks forego (understandably IMO) playing in the bowl game and others are not happy about going to Tampa this starts looking like the UCF bowl. I'm thinking this group has way more leadership though than that bunch.

I hope and think you are correct on this. AU needs this bowl win and our players and coaching staff will have to be serious about it to come out on top.

21 hours ago, AU64 said:

Let's see… a New Year's Day bowl against Minn....guess I am missing something with the complaining.   Minn. higher in the Big Ten than 3 loss Michigan and Wisc going to the Rose Bowl as the loser of their championship game .... Looks like the bowls followed the formula  

Do some folks just like to bellyache or is there some reason that AU has been "dissed" which some folks are saying?   :dunno:

I guess the upside of this issue is that AU players will want to "show 'em" and be ready to play when the game comes. 

I really don't see Minnesota as a pushover expect a good game.

7 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Man was 96 ugly....geez.

8 hours ago, kevon67 said:

Man was 96 ugly....geez.

I still firmly believe that had Stephen Davis not gotten injured we would have won that game handily. He was ripping them for big chunks of yardage up until the injury.

Archived