DB coach

auburn4ever

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

For the past few years, our defensive backfield has been very leaky. who's been coaching our are DB's?

Currently Mcgriff and Woodson.  Last year Brown was on the staff.  Woodson was added when NCAA allowed for a 10th assistant.  Mcgriff was on the staff I believe in 2015 but left to take DC position at Ole Miss hired brown from Mizzou.  After Brown left, Ole Miss fired McGriff and he was hired a second time.

I thought that when they made good plays it was Kevin Steele & bad plays it was Gus meddling...  :beer2:

2 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

They looked very shaky w busted coverages was early this year, I wish Dinson and Smoke were the starters versus...well it’s water under the bridge

Yup. Too much seniority at times. I’ll say the scheme makes it hard on our secondary with so much man-to-man with no help over top. Lack of a pure pass rusher has really hurt the secondary.

Smh......this year has almost convinced me that our fan base pretty much watch the refs and wait for someone on tv to make a complaint then they run with whatever is said.....there's not a person on here that can say they have watched our db's and they were consistent with bad play

DBs need to tackle better and make better gap fills to reduce YACs.  Against the Alabama and LSU were getting too much YACs.  Did a good job against Oregon and Georgia.  Minnesota has a good QB and some good receivers have go to make sure we tackle when receivers make a catch.

2 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

For the past few years, our defensive backfield has been very leaky. who's been coaching our are DB's?

Cornerback is the most difficult position on the field, IYAM. My opinion is in no way influenced by my having played the position.

1 hour ago, Carnell said:

DBs need to tackle better and make better gap fills to reduce YACs.  Against the Alabama and LSU were getting too much YACs.  Did a good job against Oregon and Georgia.  Minnesota has a good QB and some good receivers have go to make sure we tackle when receivers make a catch.

Bama and LSU have the 2 best WR corps in the nation. Of course they would have some big plays. There’s only so much you can do. LSU had Kirby Smart speechless

37 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Bama and LSU have the 2 best WR corps in the nation. Of course they would have some big plays. There’s only so much you can do. LSU had Kirby Smart speechless

Teams with nfl offensive lines, Heisman contending qbs and wrs that run like scalded cheetahs are going to score. We made less mistakes than other teams that played them. Our dbs are fine. 

They consistently made the wrong play, did the wrong thing......

just pretend Gus was a corner and shut up basically

1 hour ago, Sizzle said:

You play them you have to stop them. EXCUSES WONT BUY A CUP OF COFFEE.

4 hours ago, Zeek said:

Yup. Too much seniority at times. I’ll say the scheme makes it hard on our secondary with so much man-to-man with no help over top. Lack of a pure pass rusher has really hurt the secondary.

Same thing w LSU still playing bump and run this year when they routinely got burnt deep doing so. Some fundamentals for a DC just won’t change year to year 

1 minute ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Same thing w LSU still playing bump and run this year when they routinely got burnt deep doing so. Some fundamentals for a DC just won’t change year to year 

Yup, even if they wanted to change sometimes you get locked in because you recruited the personnel for a specific playing type. 

I thought our DB's did pretty well this year. They've gone against some of the best WRs in the country, and have mostly held their own. Notice that Jeudy had almost no catches against us.

For me, the only frustration defensively has been play busts. We've had a few plays every game on defense where someone ends up horribly out of position, and they take off for a big play. It's been rush defense, pass defense, and special teams defense that have been guilty of this. We had two of them (a slant and a perimeter run) against florida that could have been the difference in the game. 

6 hours ago, cole256 said:

Smh......this year has almost convinced me that our fan base pretty much watch the refs and wait for someone on tv to make a complaint then they run with whatever is said.....there's not a person on here that can say they have watched our db's and they were consistent with bad play

I tend to drink too much and pass out, take naps, and go to the bathroom to urinate frequently during games, and flip over to Dallas Stars games to the horror of Bird, usually when the defense is on the field. I then solely rely on Gary Danielson as my official source of how our db's played. Taking that into account I have watched them, and there were consistent with bad play and find this  to be incontestable

9 hours ago, Carnell said:

You play them you have to stop them. EXCUSES WONT BUY A CUP OF COFFEE.

The defense scored 14 points against Bama and allowed only 23 to LSU and got an interception off of Burrow and he’s the most accurate QB in the nation. Bama has 4, 1st round pick receivers. It’s not excuses but you have to be mentally ill if you think ALL of them will get shut down 

Archived