DB coach

auburn4ever

3 hours ago, Sizzle said:

The defense scored 14 points against Bama and allowed only 23 to LSU and got an interception off of Burrow and he’s the most accurate QB in the nation. Bama has 4, 1st round pick receivers. It’s not excuses but you have to be mentally ill if you think ALL of them will get shut down 

You look at one point in time and determine we played good defensively but I look to the future and determine if that performance is conducive to winning in the future.  For instance you stated that we held LSU to 23 and defense scored 14 against Bama.  We gave up over 500 yards to both teams.  This is not conducive to holding LSU to 23 in the future.  When they keep driving deep into your territory they are eventually going to score instead of turning the ball over 3 times without a score.  In addition, are you implying that you are expecting our defense to score 14 on Alabama every time we play them if not then for us to have a chance is going to require another strategy.  Since these strategies of hoping and praying that we score 14 on Bama to win and letting LSU run up and down the field on us and we will hold them to 23 every time is asinine.  The strategy I suggested of eliminating the YACs is precisely what is needed.  By that you make them go the long way hopefully making a mistake a turnover a penalty or something.  And by going the long way we have a a greater chance to force third down and get off the field.

I dont know where you got the thinking that I believe we are going to shut them all down because I said we have to eliminate the YACs which would indicate our opponent is catching the ball and moving the ball so how that translates to shutting them down I dont know.  

And you may call me mentally ill but I have enough sense to look at our defensive performance and determine if it will be adequate in the future instead of looking at it at point in time.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you have good passing team, you could pass on Auburn all day. That's what teams to Auburn for 2 to 3 years.  We need a new DB coach that can teach our guys how to stop giving up long passese and long runs.

5 hours ago, Carnell said:

You look at one point in time and determine we played good defensively but I look to the future and determine if that performance is conducive to winning in the future.  For instance you stated that we held LSU to 23 and defense scored 14 against Bama.  We gave up over 500 yards to both teams.  This is not conducive to holding LSU to 23 in the future.  When they keep driving deep into your territory they are eventually going to score instead of turning the ball over 3 times without a score.  In addition, are you implying that you are expecting our defense to score 14 on Alabama every time we play them if not then for us to have a chance is going to require another strategy.  Since these strategies of hoping and praying that we score 14 on Bama to win and letting LSU run up and down the field on us and we will hold them to 23 every time is asinine.  The strategy I suggested of eliminating the YACs is precisely what is needed.  By that you make them go the long way hopefully making a mistake a turnover a penalty or something.  And by going the long way we have a a greater chance to force third down and get off the field.

I dont know where you got the thinking that I believe we are going to shut them all down because I said we have to eliminate the YACs which would indicate our opponent is catching the ball and moving the ball so how that translates to shutting them down I dont know.  

And you may call me mentally ill but I have enough sense to look at our defensive performance and determine if it will be adequate in the future instead of looking at it at point in time.

Good discussion and I agree in general. LSU did not have a good red zone offense in Georgia did not have a good offense. So we were able to keep the score close. But bama eat us alive on yards-after-catch. In defense of our players, the bama receivers we're exceptionally good and we are not likely to see them week after week.

34 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

If you have good passing team, you could pass on Auburn all day. That's what teams to Auburn for 2 to 3 years.  We need a new DB coach that can teach our guys how to stop giving up long passese and long runs.

tenor.gif

Our plan against lsu was to give up yards. We played softer coverage to keep them in front, knowing that when they got to the red zone we’d be able to cover them tighter. Which is why burrow scored one of their touchdowns. Our open field tackling was one of the best Ive ever seen. You are crazy if you think this wasnt a good db year

17 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Good discussion and I agree in general. LSU did not have a good red zone offense in Georgia did not have a good offense. So we were able to keep the score close. But bama eat us alive on yards-after-catch. In defense of our players, the bama receivers we're exceptionally good and we are not likely to see them week after week.

AND Bama is about to lose those NFL level WRs as well as LSU will lose that dangerously accurate QB.

Things change from year to year, LSU/UGA/UAT are all about to have heavy turnover on their offenses.  

18 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I agree that some YACs are unavoidable for instance if the receiver gets behind the db the the db will not catch the receiver.  However, the majority of YACs by Alabama could have been stopped.  Most of Alabamas came by the short passing game.  For instance, the TD that Waddle scored right before half was due to safety not leveraging the middle of the field not Waddle making some move.  An error on our part.  The majority of Bamas short passing game the YACs can be significantly minimized if defense leverages properly, take proper angles to the receiver and tackles properly.

1 minute ago, keesler said:

AND Bama is about to lose those NFL level WRs as well as LSU will lose that dangerously accurate QB.

Things change from year to year, LSU/UGA/UAT are all about to have heavy turnover on their offenses.  

Will be interesting to see how many of those bama juniors leave....take a look at their 2017 recruiting class.....fantastic group of players and likely a lot of them gone in the draft early.     LSU and bama both have to replace their QBs....JMO but not sure that Tua will come back ….that should be interesting.   Mac might be the guy next year....JMO but little Tua is not gonna be the man for them.....but could be someone in the pipeline I'm not familiar with. 

Same with LSU but their back-up will be a junior with almost no experience despite all the big margin wins that LSU had this year. 

1 minute ago, Carnell said:

I agree that some YACs are unavoidable for instance if the receiver gets behind the db the the db will not catch the receiver.  However, the majority of YACs by Alabama could have been stopped.  Most of Alabamas came by the short passing game.  For instance, the TD that Waddle scored right before half was due to safety not leveraging the middle of the field not Waddle making some move.  An error on our part.  The majority of Bamas short passing game the YACs can be significantly minimized if defense leverages properly, take proper angles to the receiver and tackles properly.

True....the big IF....but those guys were so quick and fast that almost nobody all year could figure out how to do this.   Some pretty decent DBs in the conference matched up against them and typically did not figure the angles correctly...

JMO but hope they are all gone after this season. :no:  good riddance....

24 minutes ago, Auhud08 said:

Our plan against lsu was to give up yards. We played softer coverage to keep them in front, knowing that when they got to the red zone we’d be able to cover them tighter. Which is why burrow scored one of their touchdowns. Our open field tackling was one of the best Ive ever seen. You are crazy if you think this wasnt a good db year

We were giving up yardage to LSU was not because we were playing soft it was because we we playing with 6 & 7dbs.  When you play that defense you are playing with 4 & 5 in the box and they gashed us in the running game.  In fact they had 330 yards passing which if you are playing LSU is quite good.  However, if our dbs were really good, we could have played our normal defense shut down the run and at least made them a one headed monster.

1 hour ago, Carnell said:

We were giving up yardage to LSU was not because we were playing soft it was because we we playing with 6 & 7dbs.  When you play that defense you are playing with 4 & 5 in the box and they gashed us in the running game.  In fact they had 330 yards passing which if you are playing LSU is quite good.  However, if our dbs were really good, we could have played our normal defense shut down the run and at least made them a one headed monster.

Name me the teams that made lsu one dimensional this year

12 minutes ago, Auhud08 said:

Name me the teams that made lsu one dimensional this year

Texas held them to about 100 yards rushing.  But that is beside the point we have a dominating defensive line and should be able to slow the rush and making them at least pass to win.  And Woody Hayes used to say when you pass the ball three things can happen and two are  bad.

2 minutes ago, Carnell said:

Texas held them to about 100 yards rushing.  But that is beside the point we have a dominating defensive line and should be able to slow the rush and making them at least pass to win.  And Woody Hayes used to say when you pass the ball three things can happen and two are  bad.

Held them to or lsu didnt have to rush against. As i recall lsu had their way throwing it that game. 

The only teams that could torch our boys were the one's where the refs hoodwinked our D line. Sizzle said it- sometimes the other team will make plays. We gave every team the worst outing of their respective season, including the two best groups of college wide receivers on earth.

Cheers.

42 minutes ago, Auhud08 said:

Held them to or lsu didnt have to rush against. As i recall lsu had their way throwing it that game. 

Like I said to me that is beside the point.   I believe we have a dominating line, good linebackers with a good DC, defensive line and linebackers coach you should be able to implement a scheme to slow the running game down.

2 hours ago, Carnell said:

You really expected them to completely stop the run while running a 3-1-7 defense????

4 hours ago, keesler said:

4 hours ago, AU64 said:

Will be interesting to see how many of those bama juniors leave....take a look at their 2017 recruiting class.....fantastic group of players and likely a lot of them gone in the draft early.     LSU and bama both have to replace their QBs....JMO but not sure that Tua will come back ….that should be interesting.   Mac might be the guy next year....JMO but little Tua is not gonna be the man for them.....but could be someone in the pipeline I'm not familiar with. 

Same with LSU but their back-up will be a junior with almost no experience despite all the big margin wins that LSU had this year. 

Reports are saying at least 2 of those 3 draft eligible receivers are seriously thinking about coming back for their senior years

1 hour ago, Sizzle said:

You really expected them to completely stop the run while running a 3-1-7 defense????

No of course not.  That why I said if we played our normal defense we could have slowed the run and made LSU one dimensional.  We would have to put in some run blitzes and stunts but we would have to use a normal d.

I'm not sure this is on the DB coach. This is what we get with Steele's defense. This is how he wants it coached.  For it to work, we need the big hosses up front. And thankfully, we keep getting them.

Somebody asked me why our DBs do not turn around and why we have less INTs. If you look back, that is just how Steele's defense is run. As long as he is here, we will see this type of DB play. Every now and then we will get a DB that is superior and can look like superman while playing it this way, but that will be few.  It is frustrating to watch at times.

But with an offensive guru at the helm scoring 50 a game, we have nothing to worry about...

On 12/8/2019 at 10:05 PM, alexava said:

wrs that run like scalded cheetahs

Love this.

And it's 4 scalded cheetahs! That's the thing. Even if one of those guys was open and made a huge play, we might have had 2 or even 3 scalded cheetahs totally blanketed. That's really, really hard to do.

16 hours ago, AU64 said:

JMO but not sure that Tua will come back ….that should be interesting.   Mac might be the guy next year....JMO but little Tua is not gonna be the man for them.....but could be someone in the pipeline I'm not familiar with. 

Agree.

16 hours ago, AU64 said:

LSU had a Heisman to win. 

Yes our DBs were so bad that one of them even made All SEC. 😂 Folks our DBs do a good job. In today’s RPO type offenses playing DB is a tough business. The PI calls by refs as Mr. Bird has commented on many times are almost ridiculous. The DB has to play with his hands tied behind his back. So much illegal picks and things of that nature that offenses get away with. I would truely rank our DBs this year in the top twenty in the country maybe even the top ten. They went against some great QBs and great receivers .  Try and remember we did play against 5 of the top 13 teams in the country. SMH

21 hours ago, Carnell said:

Show me a shutdown defense this year in the SEC please. There were none . Uga was probably the best statistical but they played a weaker SEC east this year.  Most all pundits out there raved that Auburn was probably the best defense in the country. 4 made first or second team all SEC. 

Archived