DB coach

auburn4ever

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

Sweet.  Here's your answer.  The defensive schemes are different.  Bama for example has 4 guys who can beat you deep.  We don't.  Comparing just Waddle to Flash isn't taking into account how the defenses are trying to stop them.

For example, in the Florida game UF bracketed Flash.  They played the CB off by 10 yards and then rolled a safety over the top of him 20 yards deep.  So essentially the guy had to beat double coverage where the defenders had pretty solid head starts on him.  Not gonna beat a guy deep that way.  Also hard to catch and run for long distances when guys are playing so far back.  

Meanwhile, because Bama has four legit threats at WR, you play pick your poison.  Doubling up on Waddle doesn't make sense because then you are leaving any one of the other three options in an advantageous situation of 1:1 coverage.

Yeah good point but in 5games he couldn’t get deep once I saw him kinda get behind a ga db who was still in phase he couldn’t run by him 1on1 he caught it and the db rip it out his hand and sent us out with another 3&out. He need to get stronger to play football at this level he gotta add muscle he need to choose Olympic sprinter or a football player. &If it’s that easy to stop a great wr obj, randy moss, Julio, cooper, never played with 4 great wrs and they still got behind great defenses

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, Carnell said:

Exactly what I am talking about.  Let them catch the ball in front and make the tackle but bama shot that strategy to hell with the YACs they were getting.   So if you are going to run that strategy you better make sure the dbs limit the YACs.   You dont have to double cover but when the ball is in the air peel off your reciever and properly leverage the lanes not allowing the receiver an escape.  For instance the TD pass to Waddle before half is a prime example.  The safety peel off of his man to blanket Waddle.  The corner had the outside and the safety had the inside.  His mistake was he went to far to the outside and allowed Waddle to escape back to the middle but if it had been played correctly YAC would be minimal.

Again as other pointed out those guys from Bama were all 1st round draft choices. The three that will go this year will all play next year in the nfl barring injury. The are like Hastings, deceptively fast. It’s hard for most backs to cover Hastings that’s why he has been the main third down guy when healthy. 

34 minutes ago, Lambo J said:

Yeah good point but in 5games he couldn’t get deep once I saw him kinda get behind a ga db who was still in phase he couldn’t run by him 1on1 he caught it and the db rip it out his hand and sent us out with another 3&out. He need to get stronger to play football at this level he gotta add muscle he need to choose Olympic sprinter or a football player. &If it’s that easy to stop a great wr obj, randy moss, Julio, cooper, never played with 4 great wrs and they still got behind great defenses

Being fast and being shifty/running great routes are two different things.  We don't ask Anthony run great routes.  He's largely a post/go route or a quick screen/drag threat.  There's no intermediate game with him that forces DBs to play in and thus helps set up beating guys deep.

Waddle is fast but also extremely elusive.  OBJ/Moss/Julio etc are some of the best route runners you'll find, not to mention their catch radius.

Let Schwartz run the routes waddle does and you'll see him Excell. As of now, he is a jet sweep, wr screen, shallow cross receiver with the occasional deep shot.

15 hours ago, bigbird said:

Let Schwartz run the routes waddle does and you'll see him Excell. As of now, he is a jet sweep, wr screen, shallow cross receiver with the occasional deep shot.

If waddle played for us He would be a jet sweep, wr screen guy, this is the difference of why top wr prospects are saying no thanks  the last few years

35 minutes ago, cole256 said:

He doesn't have the foot speed??? 😂😂😂

Yup, it's a funny thing for Dye to say about a player that his own teammates call Sweet Feet.

He's not totally off base though. Tutt, a guy who at one point was the #1 ranked CB recruit in the nation, got cooled on in recruiting by the likes of Saban and Smart because he lacked elite speed. 

Worked out for us, b/c Kevin Steele saw Tutt as a plus defender at the Nickel. Dude's a baller, but everyone can get picked on in the secondary especially against the likes of those uat WRs. Some of those plays stuck in Dye's mind are likely the fault of the safety help not being there or a disadvantage b/c of the leverage he was tasked with. He did get walked away from on that one play tho. Waddle also took JD's lunch money, and that's a DB with plenty of speed.

52 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Pat Dye VERY critical of Tutt's play this year...

Did Dye confuse Tutt for Thomas?

10 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

Yup, it's a funny thing for Dye to say about a player that his own teammates call Sweet Feet.

He's not totally off base though. Tutt, a guy who at one point was the #1 ranked CB recruit in the nation, got cooled on in recruiting by the likes of Saban and Smart because he lacked elite speed. 

Worked out for us, b/c Kevin Steele saw Tutt as a plus defender at the Nickel. Dude's a baller, but everyone can get picked on in the secondary especially against the likes of those uat WRs. Some of those plays stuck in Dye's mind are likely the fault of the safety help not being there or a disadvantage b/c of the leverage he was tasked with. He did get walked away from on that one play tho. Waddle also took JD's lunch money, and that's a DB with plenty of speed.

Yeah slow guys don't return punts. And tutt probably showed the most future promise playing corner. I didn't follow his recruiting but I did watch all these games and I didn't see him constantly letting guys run past him. I don't know why they still put Dye on the radio tbh

On 12/8/2019 at 4:56 PM, auburn4ever said:

For the past few years, our defensive backfield has been very leaky. Who's been coaching our DB's?

I'll take Terrible Hot Takes for $1000, Alex.

If our defensive backfield was so good, why then did Alabama's 2nd string QB pass for 337 yards and throw for 4 TD's? Well?

12 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

If our defensive backfield was so good, why did Alabama's 2nd string QB pass for a million yards and throw around 3 or 4 TD's? Well?

He threw for 6.

DB U. Honestly though, I fell in love with the tigers during those Tubs years because our secondary was straight up head hunters and dangerous. Also I am biased AF because I was a DB but who is really counting ?! 

On 12/10/2019 at 1:39 PM, fredst said:

We’ve been no worse than #19 in the country in scoring defense the last four years. The defense hasn’t been the problem in just about any loss we’ve had. Offensive ineptitude has been the culprit despite this seeming perception that our DBs are mediocre 

We've played very good defense overall under Steele.  We were 13th in Scoring Defense this season, which considering how many points we gave up to UA is great.

This was good enough for 4th in conference play, though only .2  PPG than Kentucy so basically tied for 3rd in the conference.

Our DBs should be a strength next season.  Especially if the DL can continue to apply pressure on the QB.  Hopefully an edge rush will develop taking some of the pressure off the interior and SDE.

Archived