2019-20 Coaching Carousel

Zeek

Your one stop spot for all coaching changes throughout D1 football! All records are of the coaches most recent school (so not their overall coaching record)

Rutgers

Fired: Chris Ash (8-32)

Hired: Greg Schiano / Tampa Bay Bucs (11-21 NFL)

My Analysis: For Rutgers and their expectations this is a fantastic hire. Schiano knows the community and school very well with his many years of being a head coach there previously. The Scarlet Knights are in a tougher conference now but Schiano brings a wealth of experience and will drastically improve their recruiting. A tremendous upgrade for Rutgers.

Washington

Resigned: Chris Petersen (54-26)

Hired: Jimmy Lake / Washington (NA)

My Analysis: Always a tough to decision to promote from within (especially when Lake has no head coaching experience). Still, he has been mentored and hand picked by a coach who holds a tremendous winning percentage. Washington seems confident in Lake but it’s safe to say this is likely a downgrade as he’ll be learning on the job.

Ole Miss

Fired: Matt Luke (15-21)

Hired: Lane Kiffin / FAU (25-13)

My Analysis: This is a polarizing hired. Many realize this will either be boom or bust for the Rebels. Frankly, coming off a costly probation I don’t think I’d pick checkered past Kiffin. He’s known to have a propensity for athletic trainers and I’m sure his time at Bama didn’t teach him how to do things the “right way”. This will prove to be an awful hire.

Arkansas

Fired: Chad Morris (4-18)

Hired: Sam Pittman / Georgia (NA)

My Analysis: Not a great hire. No head coaching experience and he wasn’t even a coordinator at Georgia. He’s a tremendous recruiter and OL whiz; who I believe was at Arkansas before as an OL coach. This is a lazy and cheap hire that I don’t think will age well.

Florida State

Fired: Willie Taggart (9-12)

Hired: Mike Norvell / Memphis (37-15)

My Analysis: Hiring WT in the first place made no damn sense. He must be an amazing interview because even Oregon wanted him at some point. The dude doesn’t win games. Norvell should be a safer bet. His biggest hurdle will be fixing the horrendous culture both previous coaches allowed to fester. Norvell might not have them competing for the ACC anytime soon but he should be able to right the ship.

The following have fired (or had their head coach resigned) a coach without a replacement so far:

Mizzou fired Barry Odom

Boston College fired Steve Addazio

USF fired Charlie Strong

Mike Bobo resigned from Colorado State

Jeff Tedford resigned from Fresno State

Bob Davies resigned from New Mexico

UNLV fired Tony Sanchez

UTSA fired Frank Wilson

Bobby Wilder resigned from Old Dominion

Extensions and Retentions

Clay Helton / USC / Despite all of the speculation, and even the AD admitting he went through the process of considering other options, Helton has received a vote of confidence after a decent finish.

James Franklin / Penn State / Extended through 2025 after his name appeared in numerous head coaching searches. It can’t be overstated the tremendous job he has done bringing that program back from the ashes.

PJ Fleck / Minnesota/ Extended through 2026 after helping the Gophers reach a milestone they haven’t seen in almost a century. Much deserved.

Matt Campbell / Iowa State / Extension after a (7-5) season where Campbell received some head coaching inquiries. He’s rather respected by most but one had to think expectations won’t stay this low for much longer. He’s extended through 2025.

Mike Leach / Washington State / Extended through 2024. He single handedly keeps that program relevant. Another guy benefiting from teams sniffing around to hire him away.

Kevin Sumlin / Arizona / Retained even after only earning 9 wins in his first two seasons and failing to develop Khalil Tate. It makes sense to give him another season but he’s on thin ice. If this doesn’t work out he could be an incredibly valuable OC for someone.

Will Muschamp / South Carolina / Retained despite an abysmal 4-8. Yet again he’ll likely have a former employer paying him to not be there. He should give up on head coaching and enjoy being a stellar DC. If he’s insistent on being THE guy then a smaller school might be his ideal route.

Joe Moorehead / Mississippi State / Retained probably in some part due to Ole Miss pretending to do a dog pissing motion. I said when he was hired it was a huge step down from Mullen. The further Moo State gets from Mullen’s players the worse they’ll continue to look.

Derek Mason / Vanderbilt / Retained despite a 27-47 record. He’s done his best and he’s extremely likable but it’s a hard place to win and he’s not that guy.

Philip Montgomery / Tulsa / Retained despite a (4-8) finish; to be fair they were extremely competitive in essentially every loss. He’ll get one more shot.

Super helpful and very interesting, Zeek

Thank you!

Wow Saban’s analysts Staff next is going to be unbelievable, he still has Butch Jones and can add Matt Luke, Chad Morris and Barry Odom, Willie Taggart and Charlie Strong.....😂😂😂

24 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

Mizzou hiring Appy State's Eliah Drinkwitz

From what I’ve heard I think this is true but there are some trusted reporters saying it’s not finalized yet

Archived