Null

Sign in to follow this  
bigbird

Interesting read

47 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Very interesting. Very bammer also, give'em the treatment, then use'um up.

Interesting read.  I have always wondered about a player being medically cleared and the coaches responsibility to protect that injury during a game.  It is interesting the way Smart treated Swift as opposed to Gus treating KJ.  The perception drug issue is something I wouldn’t have believed was allowed without parental consent, however, they are adults.

You have to love the game to continue at this level, but you always have to look out for yourself.

Edited by I_M4_AU

14 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Interesting read.  I have always wondered about a player being medically cleared and the coaches responsibility to protect that injury during a game.  It is interesting the way Smart treated Swift as opposed to Gus treating KJ.  The subscription drug issue is something I wouldn’t have believed was allowed without parental consent, however, they are adults.

You have to love the game to continue at this level, but you always have to look out for yourself.

I doubt that there was a prescription...

• Like 1

If allowed by NCAA then I would bet many many more colleges use them.  I would not throw stones living in a glass house....  Don't know that AU does this or not.  Just saying that if it is allowed by NCAA then I would not put it past any program

What I found more interesting were the 2 comments below from Anon.  
Image result for facepalm gif

Edited by LKEEL75

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I doubt that there was a prescription...

IIRC a Clemson player was held out of the playoffs last year for the use of Ostarine which is widely used in strength training, I guess it is the same with vyvanse.  It is interesting it is approved by the NCAA, if I read that correctly. 

2 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

IIRC a Clemson player was held out of the playoffs last year for the use of Ostarine which is widely used in strength training, I guess it is the same with vyvanse.  It is interesting it is approved by the NCAA, if I read that correctly. 

It's an ADHD med. 

Just now, bigbird said:

It's an ADHD med. 

Some how I don’t think it was given to him for ADHD.  I read it enhances concentration and physical performance.  I would think mom would not be so surprised to learn he was on the drug if he arrived at Alabama with ADHD, however, that is an assumption on my part.

Schools seem able to give medications  without parental approval all the way down to middle school so guess I'm not surprised it would happen at a college.  

Otherwise, while this is a damning letter,  I'm thinking many highly recruited players …especially those making "business decisions" go in with their eyes wide open and are willing to do anything that coaches want them to do .....just to stay on the NFL track. 

I think the Tua complaint was justified and if anyone but NS had handled that kid's injuries like that, there would be an investigation.   Now, instead of getting ready for the NFL draft he's probably trying to find out if he will ever play football again...even at the college level. 

4 hours ago, AU64 said:

Schools seem able to give medications  without parental approval all the way down to middle school so guess I'm not surprised it would happen at a college.  

Not true in the least... especially a CII

4 hours ago, AU64 said:

Otherwise, while this is a damning letter,  I'm thinking many highly recruited players …especially those making "business decisions" go in with their eyes wide open and are willing to do anything that coaches want them to do .....just to stay on the NFL track. 

I think the Tua complaint was justified and if anyone but NS had handled that kid's injuries like that, there would be an investigation.   Now, instead of getting ready for the NFL draft he's probably trying to find out if he will ever play football again...even at the college level. 

Not narcotics

5 hours ago, AU64 said:

Can’t speak for all schools but my kids can’t have a Tylenol without the school calling me to ask permission.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

Not narcotics

Seen some stuff on this but looks like birth control pills are routinely distributed in many school districts without parent permission. 

Mostly on the ADHD issue the parents are pressured into allowing schools to prescribe the meds. 

Apparently without HIPA approval from the student, colleges / universities don't/can't release information on meds....and I guess if a school wanted freedom to prescribe, they could discourage players from signing. 

None of it sounds good. JMO

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Not true in the least... especially a CII

That's good....

7 hours ago, bigbird said:

Bird, I appreciate your posting of this letter. It is just one of the facets that goes on the in T-town's win at all costs philosophy , however I don't want you  be "falling up the stairs" by posting this document for all to read. Hopefully saban's evil empire is falling to its own destruction . I am not naive enough to know that this kind of stuff goes on elsewhere but to this degree really bothers me. It is just another form of the old plantation system but not in the cotton fields  but on the football fields.   Take care,

Slammer

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Slammer1 said:

Bird, I appreciate your posting of this letter. It is just one of the facets that goes on the in T-town's win at all costs philosophy , however I don't want you  be "falling up the stairs" by posting this document for all to read. Hopefully saban's evil empire is falling to its own destruction . I am not naive enough to know that this kind of stuff goes on elsewhere but to this degree really bothers me. It is just another form of the old plantation system but not in the cotton fields  but on the football fields.   Take care,

Slammer

You mean no salads for bird in the near future?

No way a school could prescribe and administer an amphetamine to a minor without prior consent by parents. Different story for a college athlete. 

Edited by Barnacle

I liked this part of the Anon reply: 

Also, you need to be upfront with the "fringe" benefits that come with playing in a large program like Alabama. Every school and its boosters will operate a bit differently. But let's put it this way - it would be no surprise at all for a player to get dressed after a game and find a roll of $20s in his pocket, that mysteriously showed up during the game. I can tell you I know guys from Bama title teams that experienced that, specifically.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Slammer1 said:

It is just another form of the old plantation system but not in the cotton fields  but on the football fields.  

Preach.

I'd love for the most disgruntled parent of an Auburn football player out there to write their version of this letter. Seriously. I feel like we're a lot cleaner than bama but I would love to see all the stones overturned. Just out of curiosity's sake. 

to prescribe/give Vyvanse without proper consent, verification/documentation of diagnosis, and vetting patient thru the alabama pdmp, is ILLEGAL.  i have to incur 2-4 hours of education every 2 years to keep my AL controlled license certificate.  however, there are enough MDs involved in the REC that would probably put their license on the line for the mighty tahd (2 of which are in my group).  Vyvanse is not a "steroid" and is very dangerous.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, TigerPAC said:

to prescribe/give Vyvanse without proper consent, verification/documentation of diagnosis, and vetting patient thru the alabama pdmp, is ILLEGAL.  i have to incur 2-4 hours of education every 2 years to keep my AL controlled license certificate.  however, there are enough MDs involved in the REC that would probably put their license on the line for the mighty tahd (2 of which are in my group).  Vyvanse is not a "steroid" and is very dangerous.

TigerPAC, et.al:  Vyvanse, although not a narcotic, is a schedule II controlled substance isn't it?  Doesn't that require the diagnosis documentation if requested by DEA, state pharm board, etc.  Penalties, especially if abused on a large scale are pretty significant, are they not?

On 12/9/2019 at 1:07 PM, AU64 said:

You don’t need parent approval.  You are considered an adult.   Hell, I couldn’t even see my sons grades unless he let me.  

Just now, aubaseball said:

You don’t need parent approval.  You are considered an adult.   Hell, I couldn’t even see my sons grades unless he let me.  

Back when I was in AU they posted grades on the bulletin board outside the room after finals and mailed a summary copy to my parents.  Mom usually knew all my grades before I did…:no:  not always a good thing.

But as for meds and such.... it's been that way a long time....but I understand why parents are not happy about that kind of "freedom"  ...and unhappy with coaches who take advantage of the fact.     Not exactly the "family" atmosphere that most schools promote. 

42 minutes ago, oldaufeller said:

TigerPAC, et.al:  Vyvanse, although not a narcotic, is a schedule II controlled substance isn't it?  Doesn't that require the diagnosis documentation if requested by DEA, state pharm board, etc.  Penalties, especially if abused on a large scale are pretty significant, are they not?

yes amphetamines are schedule II.  they are narcotic per se, but not opioid (as in pain meds).  and yes to all of your other questions.