Chad Morris leading candidate to be AU's new OC.

GwillMac6

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Does any of these moves change when we have an important 3rd and 7 we don't come out in the wildcat? 

Or the famous hurry up and run up the middle? 

Or the this wr can only do this and this wr can only do that mentality? 

If we can get rid of ANY of those things we'd be moving in the right direction

no. that's silly talk.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

remember.....Nallsminger!

Nall still running a trucking company while Ensminger's running a CFP caliber offense.

I would be a fan of this hire should we make it. I'm not convinced it will happen quite yet since 1. AU board will have to approve double the salary we were paying Dilly and 2. Morris will have to decide if coaching under is his fastest path back to a head coaching job. Morris is a head coach (has been the majority of his career) so i figure his goal is to get back to being the head coach somewhere. I'm not sure that working under Gus is the fastest path to getting another head coaching job. If the offense does well the question will always be asked who gets the credit. I imagine that would be an issue for most established coordinators out there. But then again this would only be the second time Gus has had an established OC work for him so not a lot of data to go on. We just all know the last try did not work out well. 

10 minutes ago, DAG said:

Clearly the difference maker. Some of those play designs are basic combo routes that look super complex. So many people open in the middle of the field . 

Just a  note: 

Brady is the "Passing Game Coordinator" …not OC.    So,  maybe it was Ensminger who was calling those red zone plays into the teeth of UGa's defense. 😁  Some of those plays from his Nallsminger days perhaps.. 

I am wondering if Gus knows that defenses have caught up to him and may be looking for ways to change his offense just enough to catch defenses off guard. In doing that, he wants someone he trusts to give him input and help him design new plays. An added perk is someone who can identify excellent talent and recruit them to Auburn. Also, Gus is going to need someone that can deal with his quirky personality. I don't think he's looking for a "yes man" who will agree with everything, but just someone of a similar mind, who is not intimidated by him and will give him honest opinions.

This whole thing has been orchestrated.  I'm thinking Gus knew that if Morris didn't get another HC job at a Group of 5 or an OC job at a Power 5 by now, he would bring him on as an analyst.  It just seems to me that after it became apparent which job Norvell was going to take that Gus had a conversation with him about bringing Dillingham back on staff at the new landing spot.  Norvell gets back a valuable assistant and Gus gets an OC spot open. Dillingham moves to a reputable job without losing face.  Gus brings in someone he trusts (this list is extremely small) as his OC.  Everybody wins.  Also, Morris has worked with Steele before at Clemson back in 2011.  They went 10-4 that season.

3 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I would be a fan of this hire should we make it. I'm not convinced it will happen quite yet since 1. AU board will have to approve double the salary we were paying Dilly and 2. Morris will have to decide if coaching under is his fastest path back to a head coaching job. Morris is a head coach (has been the majority of his career) so i figure his goal is to get back to being the head coach somewhere. I'm not sure that working under Gus is the fastest path to getting another head coaching job. If the offense does well the question will always be asked who gets the credit. I imagine that would be an issue for most established coordinators out there. But then again this would only be the second time Gus has had an established OC work for him so not a lot of data to go on. We just all know the last try did not work out well. 

I would think that Arky is going to be paying the difference of what he gets at a new place versus what he was making as OC.

You guys are nuts if you think Gus will trust Chad with the offense. Gus doesn’t trust anyone with the offense no matter how long he has known them. Know why? It’s not about “trust”; it’s his personality. He could literally bring in a Gus clone and it would still get micromanaged. Why would a man that “bet it all” on himself this year turn right around and give someone else the keys next year?

42 minutes ago, Viper said:

100% wrong. Who is going to call plays is the ONLY question. 

It is not a question.  There is no doubt that Gus will continue to call plays.

5 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

It is not a question.  There is no doubt that Gus will continue to call plays.

I would expect that.....By and large, HCs with an offensive background call their own plays.  

You see them on the sidelines all over college and professional football....but that does not mean they don't have input on play design and working with QBs on skill issues.    Reportedly that has been the big contribution by the guy at LSU.    Hoping someone like Morris would bring some new play structure.   JMO but we can live with his play calling but need some originality in the play design. 

Just now, AU64 said:

I would expect that.....By and large, HCs with an offensive background call their own plays.  

You see them on the sidelines all over college and professional football....but that does not mean they don't have input on play design and working with QBs on skill issues.    Reportedly that has been the big contribution by the guy at LSU.    Hoping someone like Morris would bring some new play structure.   JMO but we can live with his play calling but need some originality in the play design. 

I agree.  However, Viper was saying the only question is who is calling the plays.  I am saying that is not a question because it will be Gus.  The question is will Morris be able to help our QBs grow.  And yes have input to the plays & all that.  But bottom line is that the person on game day that will be calling the plays will be Gus for the foreseeable future.

1 minute ago, LKEEL75 said:

I agree.  However, Viper was saying the only question is who is calling the plays.  I am saying that is not a question because it will be Gus.  The question is will Morris be able to help our QBs grow.  And yes have input to the plays & all that.  But bottom line is that the person on game day that will be calling the plays will be Gus for the foreseeable future.

Yep.....as I suggested on one of these threads....that's the way it is with HCs who come from an offensive background....and I'd like to see some new play design and hope that Morris or someone with that level of experience will come on board. 

53 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Not really, apparently this system at LSU works with Brady doing quarterback development and helping with play design but Ensminger calls the plays.

Brady came in and brought the Saints offense with him.. the passing game and philosophy has been the difference.. 100% Brady doing the dirty work while Ensminger gets the title of OC.  

Just now, AuMarine said:

Brady came in and brought the Saints offense with him.. the passing game and philosophy has been the difference.. 100% Brady doing the dirty work while Ensminger gets the title of OC.  

You could be right but I've heard Ensminger taking credit for the play calling.  He gave credit to Brady for the passing game, play designs but was clear that he called the offense on game day.     

If I were Brady I would not want to take credit for the running game design....which still looks like Les Miles...

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

You could be right but I've heard Ensminger taking credit for the play calling.  He gave credit to Brady for the passing game, play designs but was clear that he called the offense on game day.     

If I were Brady I would not want to take credit for the running game design....which still looks like Les Miles...

If I were Ensminger I would take the credit too...😂.. LSU has always had the jimmy and joes.. just needed to run a modern offense and we see what happens.. Actually imo, their running game has been much better because of their passing.. and it looks different to me than in the past. Bottom line, Coach O did what needed to be done to transform their offense.. Ensminger had to learn this offense from Brady. 

11 minutes ago, gonefhin said:

4 - 18, thats 4 -18, 4 wins - 18 losses

Your point? Arkansas is a dumpster fire. Dude had top 25 offenses every year he was at Clemson and did a pretty good job of making Taj Boyd as good as he was and teaching a young deshaun Watson. I’ll take him. 

52 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Given Arkansas has to pay Morris $2.45 million a year (70% of $3.5 million), less any compensation Auburn provides him, we can easily afford Morris. If we paid Morris the same $500,000 we paid Dillingham, or if we paid Morris $1 million, Morris ends up with the same  money.

17 minutes ago, AuMarine said:

I think it will be interesting to see if his success continues with a different QB. I have no idea but will be fun to watch.

Just now, BJCrawford said:

I think it will be interesting to see if his success continues with a different QB. I have no idea but will be fun to watch.

Me too.. the offense will still be there and they never have problems getting 5 star receivers.. I have no idea who their backup is but I bet they will not have any problems hauling in 5 star QBs with that offense. 

Archived