Chad Morris leading candidate to be AU's new OC.

GwillMac6

1 hour ago, AuburnMike86 said:

Posted in another thread, but I'm not sold on Chad. He wasn't impressive running the show at SMU or Arkansas albeit it's different running the entire program vs just the offense. Looking at SMU now, they improved dramatically since he left. They were 10-2 this season and with their bowl matchup an 11-2 season looks likely. None of their fans nor the Arkansas fans thought much of him. Again, this can easily be attributed to HC vs OC roles. I'm not against him, I'm just taking the wait and see approach if he's hired.

I'll support whoever we hire and hope for the best. If Gus and Chad can work well together. Chad takes the reins and kills it, all doubt disappears instantly.

Wouldn't say they improved dramatically. Dykes regressed from the improvements that Morris had made. The big thing that has improved SMU is Buechele the grad transfer out of UT. He had a excellent freshmen year at Texas and the only thing that kept him out of the starting slot was he was prone to injury his sophmore and junior years. This kept him from being able to get around Ehlinger once he lost the slot.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know Chad Morris was a good OC at Tulsa and Clemson but I wasn't really impressed with his SMU/Arkansas led teams. I know running the entire program as the HC is different than just focusing on the offense so it could work out, I'm just not sold on him. 

Dudes SMU team got better every year. Was in a tough situation at arky, hell we know gus is going to call the plays. Passing game coordinator and offensive input, yes please

Posted in another thread, but I'm not sold on Chad. He wasn't impressive running the show at SMU or Arkansas albeit it's different running the entire program vs just the offense. Looking at SMU now, they improved dramatically since he left. They were 10-2 this season and with their bowl matchup an 11-2 season looks likely. None of their fans nor the Arkansas fans thought much of him. Again, this can easily be attributed to HC vs OC roles. I'm not against him, I'm just taking the wait and see approach if he's hired.

I'll support whoever we hire and hope for the best. If Gus and Chad can work well together. Chad takes the reins and kills it, all doubt disappears instantly.

I don't think anyone is sold on Chad Morris as a HC. If Morris had been an outstanding Head Coach we would not be having these conversations. Doubt he would ever go back to an Assistant Coach position. He loves big-time football and this might be his best opportunity to strike quick. Hope we get him quick or it probably won't happen.

A typical Gus hire would be Kodi or Marion. If he hires either of those 2, then I really don’t have anything else to say. With that type of hire he doesn’t want to surround himself with people to make AU/himself better and his ego will be more important than AU

1 hour ago, Tigerpro2a said:

We should probably Fire Kevin Steele then.....no way he could ever keep our Defense up to snuff with a HC record similar to that. ER MAH GAWD

I remember the Kevin Steele thread and the people against him in said thread. “Pretty underwhelming hire” according to some

Always a conspiracy theory when it comes to Auburn football. Me, I am just going to watch things unfold and enjoy... life's too short to worry about something I have absolutely no control over. War Eagle

28 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

I remember the Kevin Steele thread and the people against him in said thread. “Pretty underwhelming hire” according to some

I wasn't excited about his hire. I still feel muschamp's year here has more to do with our defense than anything. 

3 minutes ago, fishepa said:

If Kodi is promoted I may lose it. 

JABA. Nothing surprises me anymore. 

18 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I wasn't excited about his hire. I still feel muschamp's year here has more to do with our defense than anything. 

Why not Tuberville. Or Wayne Hall? 

This is a chance for Gus to take some heat off himself.  Don't mess this up Gus.  Show the fan base that you do hear the concerns and you will do what it takes to make AU better.  Put your ego and pride aside and realize that your offense, as it is, will not work any longer.  When you first arrived and with the right QB, it was hard to stop.  Now, everyone has figured it out and its predictable.  Will not work consistently any longer.  Please do the right thing and hire a good qb developer, recruiter, and offensive minded coach to help the team get better.  You say that you love Auburn and want to led them to championships.....if that is true, let's see some evidence in this OC hire.

What about Notre Dame OC Chip Long?

He and Brian Kelly have a co-coordinator relationship that sounds similar to what Malzahn had with Lashlee.  HC considers situational strategy and OC makes specific calls based on personnel matchups.  I wonder if he could coexist with CGM.

Long was Mike Norvell's OC at Memphis before Dillingham, and he specializes in TE/HBs.  Currently he's in the top ten on 247's recruiter ranking.

He's an Alabama native and played at UNA, which could help recruit the northwest part of the state.

WDE!

Decent summary of the OC vacancy and targets (feel free to remove if posted elsewhere). TL;DW... The vibe among the beat writers is that we'll have Morris within the week.

Maybe... Just maybe... The sky is indeed not falling 😁 War Eagle everyone!

Chad Morris is the best we can get. The people being negative about this would be the same Laughing their asses off if someone like Kodi was named OC. 

2 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

If Morris is hired, I hope he has the nads to say, wtf, Gus.

downloadfile-4.jpg

6 hours ago, DAG said:

Chad Morris is the best we can get. The people being negative about this would be the same Laughing their asses off if someone like Kodi was named OC. 

In fairness to some, the negativity isn't regarding Morris himself.  It's that history strongly suggests that, under Gus, it might as well be Kodi.  As a matter of fact, it's to the point that it's not really even negativity anymore.... it's simply resignation.

4 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

In fairness to some, the negativity isn't regarding Morris himself.  It's that history strongly suggests that, under Gus, it might as well be Kodi.  As a matter of fact, it's to the point that it's not really even negativity anymore.... it's simply resignation.

It's like waiting for the Great Pumpkin. You've never seen it, don't know anyone who has, and yet you still stand there afraid to admit it because of what might be if he comes. 

1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

Maybe so but to constantly shoot it down is annoying. I am getting annoyed and I am not even a Gus fan like that. If Gus and Auburn wasn’t going after Chad and simply made the easy hire with Kodi, there would be several threads about yes man. Now some of us like the idea of Chad and just want to have some sort of positivity to look forward to and it’s being shot down just the same. If you aren’t going to even try to think of the possibility , then why waste your time riling up the others? Some of these people remind me of randy quaid  off of the sequel of Major League. 

15 minutes ago, DAG said:

Maybe so but to constantly shoot it down is annoying. I am getting annoyed and I am not even a Gus fan like that. If Gus and Auburn wasn’t going after Chad and simply made the easy hire with Kodi, there would be several threads about yes man. Now some of us like the idea of Chad and just want to have some sort of positivity to look forward to and it’s being shot down just the same. If you aren’t going to even try to think of the possibility , then why waste your time riling up the others? Some of these people remind me of randy quaid  off of the sequel of Major League. 

That's cool brother.  I was like that too until the end of '17.

You enjoy those possibilities and I'll just wait till I see the changes.

War Eagle sir!

3 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

That's cool brother.  I was like that too until the end of '17.

You enjoy those possibilities and I'll just wait till I see the changes.

War Eagle sir!

That’s a much better approach. 

Archived