Chad Morris leading candidate to be AU's new OC.

GwillMac6

If Chad Morris can help us with recruiting, great. I hope we get him. As far as offense, we could name Ernest Borgnine OC for all the change it will make. 

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The deciding factor for any of these candidates is; will they be able to run their own system?  They must be intelligent enough to ask and understand the answer Gus will provide.  We *interviewed* Oklahoma State’s OC when we hired CCL (IIRC) and he turned us down and is now the QB coach at tOSU responsible for Field’s progress.

The hire will be interesting as to who accepts the position.

16 minutes ago, aucom96 said:

If Chad Morris can help us with recruiting, great. I hope we get him. As far as offense, we could name Ernest Borgnine OC for all the change it will make. 

What about this Ernest?

60006c8f5edc0cdf58afc3f5c3faed53--jim-varney-funny-people.jpg

Maybe I missed this, but why can't we hire BOTH  CM and Matt Luke?

I am serious.

Let Grimes slide into an advisory role or 'analyst'.    We should be able to get both pretty cheap (low ball their salary) since Ole Miss and Arky has to pay the difference.

I know someone will say Grimes doesn't want to move.    Show him how beneficial it would be to the program.  That is Gus' job - to lead. 

Matt Luke would be an INCREDIBLE asset to the staff, in addition to Chad Morris for OC (well QB developer and recruiter).   I hate to say it, but Gus might just listen to Matt and Chad explaining how his tendencies and lack of passing game is crippling his play calling.   He really might listen.   Do something?  Who knows.

Call them Co- Offensive Coordinators, who cares...one has OL and one has QBs.    Could be an incredible collection of coaching talent on the O side of the ball and we don't have fire anyone.

1 minute ago, Beaker said:

I am serious.

Let Grimes slide into an advisory role or 'analyst'.    We should be able to get both pretty cheap (low ball their salary) since Ole Miss and Arky has to pay the difference.

I know someone will say Grimes doesn't want to move.    Show him how beneficial it would be to the program.  That is Gus' job - to lead.  Matt Luke would be an INCREDIBLE asset to the staff, in addition to Chad Morris for OC (well QB developer and recruiter).   I hate to say it, but Gus might just listen to Matt and Chad explaining how his tendencies and lack of passing game is crippling his play calling. 

Call them Co- Offensive Coordinators, who cares...one has OL and one has QBs.    Could be an incredible collection of coaching talent on the O side of the ball and we don't have fire anyone.

Well..   Matt Luke will be coaching UGA's offense by the end of the day, certainly by week's end.  So there's that.  

21 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

The deciding factor for any of these candidates is; will they be able to run their own system?  They must be intelligent enough to ask and understand the answer Gus will provide.  We *interviewed* Oklahoma State’s OC when we hired CCL (IIRC) and he turned us down and is now the QB coach at tOSU responsible for Field’s progress.

The hire will be interesting as to who accepts the position.

To me, if Gus isn't going to let someone as reputable as Chad Morris run his system, I'd rather we go get a good QB coach and let Gus just continue as OC. It's better than what we experienced in 2018 when there were too many cooks in the kitchen and he was up in CCL's business. A unified effort, even if it's towards Gus' played out offense, is better than a divided effort towards the best offensive system there is.

5 minutes ago, Beaker said:

I am serious.

I know someone will say Grimes doesn't want to move.    Show him how beneficial it would be to the program.  That is Gus' job - to lead. 

Matt Luke would be an INCREDIBLE asset to the staff, in addition to Chad Morris for OC (well QB developer and recruiter).   I hate to say it, but Gus might just listen to Matt and Chad explaining how his tendencies and lack of passing game is crippling his play calling.   He really might listen.   Do something?  Who knows.

Because Gus doesn't really hire incredible assets. Plus- it's a leap to assume either of them are willing to work under Gus, given the likeliness they see the hire as a trap.

It would make us one of the hottest staffs in the country though, and could fix all of our tangible issues, except for where we are graduating/drafting out much of what made us a threat.

Yeah there's already a 247 article talking about Matt Luke visiting an UGA recruit tonight

Chad Morris it is.

3 minutes ago, caleb1633 said:

To me, if Gus isn't going to let someone as reputable as Chad Morris run his system, I'd rather we go get a good QB coach and let Gus just continue as OC. It's better than what we experienced in 2018 when there were too many cooks in the kitchen and he was up in CCL's business. A unified effort, even if it's towards Gus' played out offense, is better than a divided effort towards the best offensive system there is.

Agreed, but 2018 was after the 2017 effort that awarded Gus with his contract.  How does an off season ruin that dynamic?  Somewhere in the 2018 season, Gus determined he was going to be THE man going forward.  The OC has to know what his responsibilities are going in and understand he probably won’t grow in the job to further his career.  CCL got lucky when the Troy job opened up, otherwise he in Kansas right now.

As always, I’m in the wait and see mode hoping for the best.

7 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Yeah there's already a 247 article talking about Matt Luke visiting an UGA recruit tonight

Chad Morris it is.

Yep. UGA has announced the hire.

14 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Chad Morris it is.

I would like to hope that Gus gave him the full court press in offering him the offensive line coach job.

15 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

I would like to hope that Gus gave him the full court press in offering him the offensive line coach job.

Luke or Morris?  

I seriously doubt Gus gave Luke even a thought.

Welp Luke is UGA official.  No inside info but pretty confident it’s going to be Kodi and someone to be passing coordinator ala Joe Brady.  I think Morris is going to get a better offer somewhere else like a Tulsa and I just can’t see him being a glorified analyst at this point.

17 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

That ship has sailed.

37 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Well..   Matt Luke will be coaching UGA's offense by the end of the day, certainly by week's end.  So there's that.  

Well that sucks for us.

Great recruiter and OL coach with ties all across the Southeast going to our rival.

A  lose-lose for Auburn.

I wonder if Gus even called him...

12 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Luke or Morris?  

Luke.

Morris just needs decide if he wants to be a Pseudo-OC at Auburn under Gus or be a full fledged OC somewhere else or a head coach if offered.  He could be a great fit at Penn State with Franklin as well.

3 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Luke.

Morris just needs decide if he wants to be a Pseudo-OC at Auburn under Gus or be a full fledged OC somewhere else or a head coach if offered.  He could be a great fit at Penn State with Franklin as well.

I don't know why Morris would want such a position.  Surely he can find a job actually doing his job.  Would be fitting if he went to work for Franklin.  We play PSU in 2021.  

1 minute ago, Auburn Kev said:

That ship has sailed.

I know that is why I said" I hoped Gus went full court press to get him".   I am fine if he tried his best and got turned down, I just really hope that he at least tried.

3 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Not verified but: Only posting this because if you follow auburn sports on social media, you usually see skye a lot.

Uh...  What is this?

So Chad Morris, Auburn Tiger is a thing?

Awesome!

24 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

I would like to as well but there would have been at least some mumbling/discussion if that were the case.

2 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Uh...  What is this?

So Chad Morris, Auburn Tiger is a thing?

Awesome!

I’m taking it with a grain of salt, just thought it was interesting coming from a guy that I see on auburn Twitter a lot. He’s not verified so it’s not a sure thing until its announced.

9 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Not verified but: Only posting this because if you follow auburn sports on social media, you usually see skye a lot.

I talk with him a lot on Twitter and I'd be surprised if he's wrong. Pretty cool dude.

Archived