Chad Morris leading candidate to be AU's new OC.

GwillMac6

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Sizzle said:

Gus not giving up play calling. But if Morris is actually hired, he’ll definitely have some much needed input. Morris  will only be using this as a steppingstone anyway to get back to being HC somewhere again

That is why Chad is perfect. His name and rep is so tarnished when it comes to being a Head Coach that I do not see him getting a new job for a few years. He may never get a major job again because the taste is so bad in everyone's mouth from not winning 1 SEC game in his 2 seasons. As a OC for us? HUGE HUGE coup in QB coaching and recruiting. I will wait for making big bold statements like new passing concepts because I will not be fooled again BUT clemson in 2011-2014 when he was there is what Gus offense COULD look like with fresh ideas  and a sophisticated passing game. But again I will not get my hopes up for that. At least not right away. But if there were ever 2 people Gus would ever listen to it would be Hugh Freeze or Chad Morris.

4 minutes ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

Whether he calls plays or not, he's a proven recruiter and would most likely be able to have some great game planning contributions. Gus will respect what Chad Morris has to say, I don't know that any OC outside of RL had that benefit. 

I don't think RL had that either........... But I agree with you. He really respects and more importantly TRUSTS Chad Morris.

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Gus trust Chad. Gus never trusted Rhett, Chip, Dilly. Chad would have much more imput and freedom. His QB work and recruiting would also be an upgrade too.

I hope you are spot on.  We need that.

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

But if there were ever 2 people Gus would ever listen to it would be Hugh Freeze or Chad Morris.

Exactly

This also is huge for Bo Nix. He looked lost at times, but also excelled at times. CM could take what big game experience that Bo already has and turn him into a world beater. If this all pans out, I am genuinely thrilled to watch our O next season. 

5 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

That is why Chad is perfect. His name and rep is so tarnished when it comes to being a Head Coach that I do not see him getting a new job for a few years. He may never get a major job again because the taste is so bad in everyone's mouth from not winning 1 SEC game in his 2 seasons. As a OC for us? HUGE HUGE coup in QB coaching and recruiting. I will wait for making big bold statements like new passing concepts because I will not be fooled again BUT clemson in 2011-2014 when he was there is what Gus offense COULD look like with fresh ideas  and a sophisticated passing game. But again I will not get my hopes up for that. At least not right away. But if there were ever 2 people Gus would ever listen to it would be Hugh Freeze or Chad Morris.

This. I don’t see him leaving for at least 2-3 years to fix his reputation. The guy can coach QBs and I agree that his passing concepts are a major step up from Gus’. Doesn’t hurt that he is probably the best OC recruiter we’ve had since Gus was the OC. 

1 minute ago, atl-tiger said:

Going to FSU as OC and then this Morris rumor popped right after. 

Thanks 

Chad had some elite skill players either on the roster or on the way especially in the area of QB.  I still think Arkansas screwed up cutting bate so soon.  Once again their loss Auburn’s gain.

Saw where he is being mentioned for a couple mid tier head coaching jobs.  The one at UTSA is already filled.  Tulsa would be the next to watch.  I wonder if he’s turning these down with the hopes a season or 2 at Auburn would propel him faster?   Also how funny is it two Gus protégés got 2 big name jobs in the last week?  Watch out Saban.  That Gus tree is branching out.

Just now, McLoofus said:

Would this nip our recruitment of his son in the bud? Not that it's a deal breaker, of course.

I was just discussing this with my wife. lol I think Auburn would have to cease recruiting immediately but he could still choose to come to Auburn.

Just now, McLoofus said:

Would this nip our recruitment of his son in the bud? Not that it's a deal breaker, of course.

No. Chad would be an onfield coach and therefore we could recruit his son

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

No. Chad would be an onfield coach and therefore we could recruit his son

I think in this case it would not even matter even if we hired him as a analyst. Because this is not his high school coach we are talking about. 

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

I think in this case it would not even matter even if we hired him as a analyst. Because this is not his high school coach we are talking about. 

True and he isn't employed at the moment

41 minutes ago, The Freak said:

Smells like this was cooking already.

Question is, did Gus even wait until Dilly left his office before he called Morris up and said, "Chad, bro, go ahead and pack your bags. You ain't going to believe what just happened..."

Sources: Auburn targets Chad Morris for OC job

ByBRANDON MARCELLO 78 minutes ago 

Share25 Comments

AUBURN, Alabama – Auburn has targeted Chad Morris to fill its offensive coordinator position, sources tell Auburn Undercover.

The former Arkansas head coach is the leading candidate to replace Kenny Dillingham, who left Auburn for the same position at Florida State on Monday.

Auburn is expected to hire Dillingham's successor this week, sources tell Auburn Undercover.

Should the new coordinator be Morris, it could be a grand-slam hire for Auburn coach Gus Malzahn. The two have been close friends since their days coaching high school football (Morris in Texas and Malzahn in Arkansas). Morris adopted and adapted Malzahn's offense in the early 2000s during his high school career after the two met for a week in January 2004 at Springdale High in Arkansas.

Morris was fired at Arkansas in the middle of his second season as head coach in November. He was 4-18 overall with the Hogs.

Morris is very familiar with Auburn's offensive staff members and the feeling among insiders is a transition with Morris on staff would be seamless before the Outback Bowl. Auburn is scheduled to begin practices next week for the bowl game. The Tigers face No. 18 Minnesota (10-2) on New Year's Day in Tampa. 

The first week of bowl practices are usually set aside to develop younger players, which will provide Auburn's new offensive coordinator extra time to work with players, particularly the quarterbacks. If Morris is hired, he is expected to coach quarterbacks.

Morris was previously the head coach at SMU and the offensive coordinator at Clemson, where he was the lead recruiter for quarterback Deshaun Watson. Watson was a two-time nominee for the Heisman Trophy. Clemson was 42-11 during his four-year tenure (2011-14) as the Tigers' offensive coordinator. He tied Malzahn as the highest-paid assistant coach in college football with a salary of $1.3 million.

Morris' recruiting responsibilities while at Clemson included Georgia and Florida, the two primary recruiting territories for Auburn.

Morris was on Auburn's campus with his son, Chandler, during the Iron Bowl on Nov. 30. Chandler Morris is a 4-star quarterback prospect in the class of 2020.

Morris, then the head coach at Stephenville (Texas) High, traveled to Arkansas several times in an effort to meet Malzahn, and persistence finally paid off in January 2004 when Malzahn agreed to share notes for almost an entire week at Malzahn's football office in Springdale.

Morris credits Malzahn with his turnaround in the shadow of Texas legend Art Briles, who led Stephenville to state championships before Morris took over in 2003 and missed the playoffs. With Malzahn's help, Morris went 43-6 over the next four seasons at Stephenville, landed a job at Lake Travis High and won back-to-back state titles with perfect 16-0 records. Malzahn coached Springdale to a No. 2 national ranking and won a state title in 2005.

"I always knew he had something special about him," Malzahn said in 2018. "He's a great person. He's one of the good guys in our business. But he's one of the best coaches I've ever been around."

Interestingly, their career paths have been nearly parallel since 2004. Malzahn's leap into college football occurred a few years before Morris, but he followed in Malzahn's footsteps to become the offensive coordinator at Tulsa in 2010. He later landed his own gig at Clemson as Malzahn coached Auburn's offense. They faced off as coordinators in 2011, with Clemson snapping Auburn's 17-game winning streak.

"You look at Clemson now and look back and when everything changed, it's when they hired Chad Morris," Malzahn said in 2018. "He got the offense going, recruited Deshaun Watson, and look at him now. He went to SMU, and it was low, low, low. He got them out of it ..."

Keith Niebuhr contributed to this report.

Archived