Chad Morris leading candidate to be AU's new OC.

GwillMac6

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chad Morris and Chip Kelly aren't the same. Chip was an analyst under Malzahn who barely had his feet wet as a Power 5 OC. On top of that you had Jay Jacobs pressuring Gus to let his OCs run the show. (My interpretations at least) Morris (like Hugh Freeze this time last year) is an experienced and successful coordinator and as others have mentioned, I don't believe he'd take a yes-man job... Certainly not when he has equally prestigious options.

Getting Morris would be a great hire. Certainly one step closer to solving the Offensive issues.

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

What legit power 5 school would hire Chad as a HC ? Haha none. This would be his best opportunity unless he wants to coach at Memphis and still that would be questionable 

Where did I say HC? I said job. OC. One where he really is the OC. He will have plenty of options. 

Memphis HC is one hell of a better job then being AU’s OC also. Just so you know. Hahaha. 

2 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

Chad Morris and Chip Kelly aren't the same. Chip was an analyst under Malzahn who barely had his feet wet as a Power 5 OC. On top of that you had Jay Jacobs pressuring Gus to let his OCs run the show. (My interpretations at least) Morris (like Hugh Freeze this time last year) is an experienced and successful coordinator and as others have mentioned, I don't believe he'd take a yes-man job... Certainly not when he has equally prestigious options.

Getting Morris would be a great hire. Certainly one step closer to solving the Offensive issues.

It’s Lindsay not Kelly. 

2 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Where did I say HC? I said job. OC. One where he really is the OC. He will have plenty of options. 

Memphis HC is one hell of a better job then being AU’s OC also. Just so you know. Hahaha. 

No crap, Which is why I mentioned it

Besides Clemson what other OC job would be higher than Auburn? Just off of prestige. 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

No crap, Which is why I mentioned it

Besides Clemson what other OC job would be higher than Auburn? Just off of prestige. 

Dilly thinks FSU is better, apparently.  

13 minutes ago, atl-tiger said:

"Kodi Burns hired as next OC at Auburn." incoming... 

Oh stop.  The old Gus would have done that, sure. 

But we're talking Gus v7.11 here and he's gonna find a completely new way of doing the same thing.     

29 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Either Morris, McGee or Burns would be good picks that fit IMO but those guys are too solid in their own right to play the Dillingham "pretend-OC" roll. And yes I'm one if the "Malzahn 5🤣" that think Gus needs to be both HC & de facto OC.

Did you really just say that a Burns promotion to OC is equivalent to a Chad Morris hire? Is there a Burns out there that you're referencing other than Kodi?

3 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Dilly also had a relationship with the guy who got hired there hence why he got the job. I am sure you knew that. I doubt Bob Stoops would’ve hired dilly to FSU if he was the coach. 

1 minute ago, auburnphan said:

If Morris gets hired, I think it's safe to bet that they worked a deal where FSU took Dilly. He probably also wanted to work under Norvell again.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Dilly also had a relationship with the guy who got hired there hence why he got the job. I am sure you knew that. I thought Bob Stoops would’ve hired dilly to FSU if he was the coach. 

He had a OC job. Why make the lateral move for less money?

35 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Gus won’t and isn’t ever going to trust anyone to run his offense at AU. If Chad comes, I have my doubts he will, this will end up like it did with Chip. 

This is what I was afraid of but thought as well.

1 minute ago, AUGunsmith said:

Dilly was a figurehead OC with norvell in Memphis. 

He moved just to be back with a guy who he has had a long working relationship with. 

Norvell would probably be more willing to make him the actual OC than Gus too.

Just now, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

He had a OC job. Why make the lateral move for less money?

Because he had a relationship prior with Mike Norvell. Why would that be a lateral move? He is now coaching with someone he had a strong relationship with in a power 5 school. Unless you think money is everyone’s Primary driving force for decisions. 

Morris is by far the best we can do.  Gus has a small coaching circle to choose from and only once has he reached outside it offensively and that was Porter.  Being the OC pays nice but it really is not a coveted job opportunity.

Just now, auburnphan said:

Morris is by far the best we can do.  Gus has a small coaching circle to choose from and only once has he reached outside it offensively and that was Porter.  Being the OC pays nice but it really is not a coveted job opportunity.

Especially under a HC that will be micromanaging and just took back play calling duties only 1 year previous.  Also every OC under Gus has moved onto to the same position, but to a lesser school.  Its not like OCs are coming into Auburn and then leaving for HC jobs.  Everyone knows this is Gus' offense. 

40 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Gus won’t and isn’t ever going to trust anyone to run his offense at AU. If Chad comes, I have my doubts he will, this will end up like it did with Chip. 

So getting back to Matt Luke ....  is this the part where we say hire someone to coach the Qb and let Gus call the plays?

I do agree that Chad may be too many cooks in the kitchen and end up getting them both canned if Auburn had another 2018 with 2 offensive gurus on board.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Gus trust Chad. Gus never trusted Rhett, Chip, Dilly. Chad would have much more imput and freedom. His QB work and recruiting would also be an upgrade too.

I am thinking this too since Chad is a proven OC, and has had HC experience , albeit failed at it. 

In addition to everything already mentioned, I think Bo Nix makes this move even more appealing for Morris. Young, talented QB with a lot of room yet to grow and a high ceiling, in addition to all the other talent on our roster means Morris will offense he can score points with immediately. 

15 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

It’s Lindsay not Kelly. 

WHOOPS! Too many Chips in the coaching world lol. Dunno why my phone wanted me to talk about Chip Kelly 😅

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

Because he had a relationship prior with Mike Norvell. Why would that be a lateral move? He is now coaching with someone he had a strong relationship with in a power 5 school. Unless you think money is everyone’s Primary driving force for decisions. 

Dilly was leaving way before Norvell got the FSU job. Gus didn’t do the things that he told Dilly he was going to do. So Dilly found another job. 

Money is the driving force for almost all decisions FWIW. 

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

I am thinking this too since Chad is a proven OC, and has had HC experience , albeit failed at it. 

He was a good HC at SMU.  I think Arkansas jumped the gun in firing him after only 2 years.

Archived