Chad Morris leading candidate to be AU's new OC.

GwillMac6

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if Gus will ever allow anyone other than Gus himself to be the OC and run offense the way it should be run. I'm guessing no.

6 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Excellent comparison, I think

I think there's a good amount of differences. Muschamp's coaching stint at UF was a bit more successful than Morris'. He also didn't have the background or loyalty to Gus that Chad Morris has. But, if it does turn out that way and the offense can be in 2021 what the defense became post-2015, I'm all for it!

2 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

I wonder if Gus will ever allow anyone other than Gus himself to be the OC and run offense the way it should be run. I'm guessing no.

Excellent question! No one else on this thread has asked that yet!

I don't really see a downside to Morris coming here, regardless of how anyone thinks things will go down with him calling plays or not.  I'm sure he has no desire to take a job and just be a "yes" man.  

• Big name recruiter
  • Led high-power offense at Clempson
  • Proven QB development (Watson)
  • Needs to be winner at AU to get his next HC opportunity
  • Son is highly rated QB
  • If given the reigns, could morph the Offense into something feared

At the very least, he recruits well.  This 'could' be a turning point for us.  Only time will tell.

3 minutes ago, caleb1633 said:

I think there's a good amount of differences. Muschamp's coaching stint was a bit more successful than Morris'. He also didn't have the background or loyalty to Gus that Chad Morris has. But, if it does turn out that way and the offense can be in 2021 what the defense became post-2015, I'm all for it!

It's more of what Muschamp did for the future of the defense. Recruited very well and brought in a newer, meaner attitude for the defense that has progressed every year since. Now, Kevin Steele certainly has the majority to do with it, but if Morris is just looking for a one-year stint to find another HC job, he could re-energize the passing game of the offense. It would be interesting to see him and Gus come up with an offensive gameplan though I hope they don't overthink themselves out of their minds...

4 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

It's more of what Muschamp did for the future of the defense. Recruited very well and brought in a newer, meaner attitude for the defense that has progressed every year since. Now, Kevin Steele certainly has the majority to do with it, but if Morris is just looking for a one-year stint to find another HC job, he could re-energize the passing game of the offense. It would be interesting to see him and Gus come up with an offensive gameplan though I hope they don't overthink themselves out of their minds...

Exactly. 

Muschamp provided a much needed culture change in our defense and Steele has worked wonders building off that foundation. 

Just now, auburn4ever said:

Hire Hugh Freeze as the new WR coach.

He won’t leave Liberty as HC to be a position coach. Coordinator is a possibility, but that was pointed out to me that even that may be a stretch. 

8 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

He won’t leave Liberty as HC to be a position coach. Coordinator is a possibility, but that was pointed out to me that even that may be a stretch. 

Just my opinion but Freeze owes liberty a couple years as coach just for hiring him when nobody else would touch him.

3 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

Is it bad news regarding Morris that Auburn hasn't made an announcement?

It hasn’t even been a day since our OC vacated the job..

3 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

Is it bad news regarding Morris that Auburn hasn't made an announcement?

Ha, we just found out we had an opening. :) I bet it won’t take long regardless of who it is though. 

Just now, DAG said:

It hasn’t even been a day since our OC vacated the job..

Im at work I keep opening the www like waiting to see if Santa came yet lol. Starting to doubt

Sounds like Dilly went back to his old boss. Guess I can't blame him as he will probably have more authority there. And meanwhile, I think I'll Auburn has a chance to improve our situation with someone able to help play design and play calling.... like Morris.

3 hours ago, LKEEL75 said:

The question is not who is gonna call plays, but can Morris be a great QB coach.  That was the big key for Coach D 

100% wrong. Who is going to call plays is the ONLY question. 

6 minutes ago, Viper said:

100% wrong. Who is going to call plays is the ONLY question. 

Not really, apparently this system at LSU works with Brady doing quarterback development and helping with play design but Ensminger calls the plays.

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Not really, apparently this system at LSU works with Brady doing quarterback development and helping with play design but Ensminger calls the plays.

So Gus has already announced he alone is still calling plays?

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Ensminger calls the plays.

Wow. I did not know that. And to think that we had this guy as part of an offensive coordinator group back in the day. Ha ha ha. 

Just now, gr82b4au said:

Wow. I did not know that. And to think that we had this guy as part of an offensive coordinator group back in the day. Ha ha ha. 

lol COME ON. We know Joe Brady is the real star there. Ensminger called the plays last year and Look at the difference in Burrows numbers from then to now. Only 1 of Brady and Ensminger is up for the Broyles Award.... It is not Ensminger!!! lol

Does any of these moves change when we have an important 3rd and 7 we don't come out in the wildcat? 

Or the famous hurry up and run up the middle? 

Or the this wr can only do this and this wr can only do that mentality? 

If we can get rid of ANY of those things we'd be moving in the right direction

Just now, gr82b4au said:

There is play design and then there is game strategy. Apparently Brady's forte is the play design.

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

lol COME ON. We know Joe Brady is the real star there. Ensminger called the plays last year and Look at the difference in Burrows numbers from then to now. Only 1 of Brady and Ensminger is up for the Broyles Award.... It is not Ensminger!!! lol

Clearly the difference maker. Some of those play designs are basic combo routes that look super complex. So many people open in the middle of the field . 

3 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

remember.....Nallsminger!

Archived