Chad Morris leading candidate to be AU's new OC.

GwillMac6

I'm getting less optimistic this will happen. I'm imagining a high demand for Morris as an OC. Why would any OC work for a doomed HC who won't even allow him to take the reigns and literally right the ship by doing so? 

We're saying this (Hypothetically of course): "We want to hire you. We know lots of teams want to hire you. In a year or two, you'll be swept out with the whole regime. Plus, we won't really let you do your job while you're here. So will you take the job?"

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My non-meme musings... 

The Dilly Departure is no surprise. IMO he has a longer tenure expectancy at FSU than he would at AU. Hot seat has not gone away. 

Whether CGM will admit it to anyone, he needs help, and I believe his vision is clearing to perceive it. Hot seat. If he will trust and respect CCM, bring it. If he can't and won't and things don't get fixed, that's absolutely on him. 

7 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

I'm getting less optimistic this will happen. I'm imagining a high demand for Morris as an OC. Why would any OC work for a doomed HC who won't even allow him to take the reigns and literally right the ship by doing so? 

We're saying this (Hypothetically of course): "We want to hire you. We know lots of teams want to hire you. In a year or two, you'll be swept out with the whole regime. Plus, we won't really let you do your job while you're here. So will you take the job?"

I mean Chad looked pretty horrible at the one thing he was supposed to be bad at. Revitalizing this train wreck of an offense would do as much for him as dominating for some FCS team.

I posted this on here a day ago, but this is a more proper thread for it: Gus always hires understudies. He has never hired here, someone that he thinks of as an equal, or someone that's in his "good friend category" (Freeze, Briles, Morris, etc.) I know alot of Auburn fans are burnt by Lindsey and Lashlee, I get it. 

al.com

Potential candidates for Auburn’s next offensive coordinator

Updated 12:48 PM;Today 12:02 PM

5-7 minutes

Auburn Football

For the third time since taking over as head coach, Gus Malzahn will need to replace his offensive coordinator.

Kenny Dillingham is out at Auburn after one season, leaving Malzahn’s staff to reunite with his mentor, Mike Norvell, as offensive coordinator at Florida State, a source confirmed to AL.com. With Dillingham gone, Malzahn will need to hire his fourth offensive coordinator on the Plains, following in the footsteps of Dillingham, Chip Lindsey and Rhett Lashlee. Here’s AL.com’s list of potential candidates to replace Dillingham on Malzahn’s staff:

Chad Morris, former Arkansas coach

Morris was fired after less than two seasons at Arkansas while accumulating a 4-18 record with the Razorbacks. Still, Morris is one of Malzahn’s closest friends in the coaching industry -- Malzahn was one of the first to reach out to Morris when he was fired by Arkansas last month -- as the two have had a strong relationship over the last 15 years, with their careers intertwining and somewhat mirroring each other over that time, first as high school coaches in Arkansas and Texas, then as Power 5 offensive coordinators and then as head coaches at Group of Five schools and ultimately SEC programs.

Morris is a sharp offensive mind with a similar philosophy as Malzahn. As a high school coach in Texas in the early 2000s, Morris reached out to Malzahn to pick his brain offensively and implement changes that helped him on a road to success at the high school level.

As a potential bonus: If Auburn were to hire Morris, it would likely be able to sign his son, four-star quarterback Chandler Morris, a former Arkansas commit who took a visit to campus for the Iron Bowl, to bolster depth in the quarterback room.

Brennan Marion, offensive coordinator at William & Mary

Marion is another Malzahn protege, though the up-and-coming assistant has never coached under Malzahn. He did, however, star for him as a record-setting receiver at Tulsa before carving his own path into the coaching profession, first as a high school coach in California, then as an assistant at Arizona State before becoming the offensive coordinator at FCS program Howard -- where his Malzahn-flavored scheme, the “Go-Go” system, excelled with Caylin Newton, the younger brother of Cam Newton, at quarterback. He spent this season as the offensive coordinator at William & Mary. An innovative offensive mind, Marion could help expand Auburn’s offense while reuniting with his mentor. Marion also worked at Auburn’s coaching clinic on campus this spring.

Kodi Burns, Auburn receivers coach/co-offensive coordinator/passing game coordinator

If Malzahn wants to stay in-house and keep continutity, promoting Burns would be a logical choice. Burns has been on Auburn’s staff since the 2016 season and has taken on more responsibilities in recent years, most recently adding the title of passing game coordinator to his resume. Burns, of course, played receiver at Auburn when Malzahn was offensive coordinator during the Tigers’ 2010 national championship.

Dell McGee, Georgia running backs coach/run game coordinator

McGee has spent the last four seasons as an assistant at Georgia under Kirby Smart, working with the Bulldogs’ running backs, with four different backs accounting for six 1,000-yard rushing seasons during his time in Athens, Ga. Along with coaching the Bulldogs’ running backs, McGee holds the title of Georgia run game coordinator and previously served as assistant head coach. Prior to his time at Georgia, however, McGee spent two seasons as running backs coach at Georgia Southern and led that program to a bowl game win in 2015 while serving as interim head coach. Before taking the job at GSU, McGee -- a former Auburn defensive back -- was on Malzahn’s inaugural staff at Auburn as an offensive analyst.

Bobby Bentley, South Carolina tight ends coach

Bentley has been on Will Muschamp’s staff at South Carolina for the last four seasons, serving as the Gamecocks’ running backs coach for three before shifting to tight ends coach this year. A former offensive analyst on Malzahn’s staff for two seasons, the longtime high school coach back in South Carolina -- where he’s a coaching legend -- is a longtime friend of Malzahn’s. The one knock: He has never been a college offensive coordinator, though he did interview for the position with Malzahn last season after Lindsey’s departure.

Brent Dearmon, Kansas offensive coordinator

Dearmon spent much of 2019 as the offensive coordinator at Kansas, where he was promoted in early October after Les Miles parted way with OC Lee Koenning. Prior to his time at Kansas, Dearmon spent the 2018 season as head coach at his alma mater, Bethel University, where former Auburn quarterback/receiver Jonathan Wallace was on his staff. Dearmon previously spent two seasons on Malzahn’s staff at Auburn as an offensive analyst -- working with running backs in 2013 and receivers in 2014 -- before becoming the offensive coordinator at Arkansas Tech for three seasons. A likely longshot candidate, but certainly a Malzahn guy.

AL.com will update this post.

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

12 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Get another transfer. 

Their current backup is probably not their QB for next year but might have a red shirt stashed away somewhere.  Easiest thing is to get a grad transfer who wants to step up in class.  I'm guessing there are some out there.  No need to sweat it out for 3 or 4 years with an incoming freshman if you can get a mature guy with a couple seasons behind him and adapt him to your scheme. 

Not sure there are many transfers out there like Burrow. He is a coaches son, which is advantageous; besides his obvious skill set.  I heard today on the radio that he first wanted to go to Nebraska when he decided to transfer and they said “no thanks”. Bet they are feeling pretty silly today but you never know how someone will turn out. Florida let Cam get away.....Texas a and m let Murray get away🤷‍♀️.

I know Chad Morris was a good OC at Tulsa and Clemson but I wasn't really impressed with his SMU/Arkansas led teams. I know running the entire program as the HC is different than just focusing on the offense so it could work out, I'm just not sold on him. 

Haven’t read the whole thread so excuse me if it’s redundant (I’m certain it won’t add much value, lol) but.....hiring CM (or anybody for that matter) and letting him actually work as a functioning offensive coordinator would show serious maturity and evolution as a HC by Gus. I keep hoping but my optimism level is extraordinarily low.....

Posted in another thread, but I'm not sold on Chad. He wasn't impressive running the show at SMU or Arkansas albeit it's different running the entire program vs just the offense. Looking at SMU now, they improved dramatically since he left. They were 10-2 this season and with their bowl matchup an 11-2 season looks likely. None of their fans nor the Arkansas fans thought much of him. Again, this can easily be attributed to HC vs OC roles. I'm not against him, I'm just taking the wait and see approach if he's hired.

I'll support whoever we hire and hope for the best. If Gus and Chad can work well together. Chad takes the reins and kills it, all doubt disappears instantly.

2 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Any truth to the rumor that Lefty is in the running?

I mean Chad Morris on one hand or Lefty on the other.... can’t really lose either way, correct?

If by Lefty, you mean Byron Leftwich, sign me up!  (Surely you don’t mean Scott Loefler....)

I just read the info on Dearman and that he has spent some time with Gus at AU. I guess that means he's at the front of the pecking order to be another "yes" man for Gus. If I were Morris, I wouldn't take the position unless I got an iron-clad guarantee from Gus that I run this show, including hiring the assistants that I want. If you cannot give me that guarantee, then go kick rocks. 

Just now, triangletiger said:

If by Lefty, you mean Byron Leftwich, sign me up!  (Surely you don’t mean Scott Loefler....)

Joking 😂

10 minutes ago, fredst said:

Haven’t read the whole thread so excuse me if it’s redundant (I’m certain it won’t add much value, lol) but.....hiring CM and letting him actually work as a functioning offensive coordinator would show serious maturity and evolution as a HC by Gus. I keep hoping but my optimism level is extraordinarily low.....

It's really the whole answer. This year it would've meant a playoff run, schedule be damned. Lsu is proving it as we speak. And we've seen the Turds go all the way or almost all the way with several OC's, by simply making the best hire possible and letting the guy do his thing. The irony that there's only one person in the universe who can's see this is mind-boggling.

3 hours ago, gonefhin said:

4 - 18, thats 4 -18, 4 wins - 18 losses

We should probably Fire Kevin Steele then.....no way he could ever keep our Defense up to snuff with a HC record similar to that. ER MAH GAWD

13 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

Kodi! Kodi! He has been co OC long enough it’s time for him to take over

What about herb hand?

OOOOOoooooo! 

Both good choices.  Do I have to choose just one?  

21 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

What about herb hand?

That’s gonna be a no from me, dog

11 hours ago, sevenlee36 said:

Nope we can get herb and make him “co” with Kodi. Can you say win-win

I'd say you're tempting fate by just mentioning that idea in a public space.   

33 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

What about herb hand?

tenor.gif

Morris went into two dumpster fires, and wasn't able to put them out. This is a different scenario. He would have plenty of talent to work with, and wouldn't have to focus on the macro team issues, which is where I think he failed as a HC. If Gus could land him, it would be a huge opportunity to revitalize the offense. That said, with this hire, Gus would HAVE to let go of the reigns a little. A lot of folks on this forum keep saying that Dillingham wasn't "really" the offensive coordinator. That statement isn't really true because there's a lot more to being an offensive coordinator than calling the plays on game day. Dillingham did a lot of the behind the scenes work like watching film to come up with a game plan and directing the offensive practices, and he also played a role in play calling even though he didn't make the final decisions. With that said, there's no way Morris would come here to just do the behind the scenes work. He will want to call the plays. 

• WarTiger changed the title to All candidates for next offensive coordinator

Why some say Gus is on the hot seat...   he is not.   If Gus chooses to go this route and Chad is on board,  let’s make it happen.  If it works it will be great!   If it does not,  then he will then find himself on the hot seat or gone.   I for one am hoping this happens,  I think Morris can scheme the plays better especially the passing scheme.  It will give Gus a new creative framework of plays to call that can best be translated into how Gus thinks.   

I have a hard time believing an established OC is going to come and basically become an analyst.  Gus is not and at this point should not turn over play calling duties.  Dell could fall under that category but would Carnell be affected?  I guess Matt Luke is just message board fodder even though he makes a great deal of sense.  It’s gonna be Kodi with maybe an “up and comer” hired as a passing coordinator.  At this point bring in someone who can recruit Olinemen and call it a day.

Archived