Chad Morris Hired as OC

ClaytonAU

9 minutes ago, Mysticbear said:

Why does everyone keep saying the recruiting will get better? Arkansas lost one recruit and that was Morris son. They are ranked 114 in recruiting  and last year they ranked 20 so not sure why everyone says this is huge for recruiting.

Hell, the fact that he brought Arkansas a #20 ranked class is probably the best class they've ever landed.

I have a feeling that a coach with Morris' credentials, experience and ties to Texas may be a better recruiter than a 28 yr old Dilly, we'll see.

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, auburn4ever said:

Getting coach Morris is a splash hire. Now if Gus would only go hire a top OL & DB coaches.

yeah, OL needs to be next. 

hope Morris can help kodi with route trees and develop a quicker passing game.

2 minutes ago, keesler said:

Hell, the fact that he brought Arkansas a #20 ranked class is probably the best class they've ever landed.

I have a feeling that a coach with Morris' credentials, experience and ties to Texas may be a better recruiter than a 28 yr old Dilly, we'll see.

Morris is connected all over the SE, too. Dilly had the enthusiasm and related to the utes and all that, but Morris knows high school coaches all over Georgia and Florida. (Stolen directly from Keith N.) He's presumably very well connected in Alabama and South Carolina, too. This should be an upgrade, and maybe a big one. 

1 minute ago, Beenjammin said:

Does this mean Chandler will be headed to AU as well to compete for QB in the future? 

Not as of right now. Focused on other schools. Namely Oklahoma.

17 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Getting coach Morris is a splash hire. Now if Gus would only go hire a top OL & DB coaches.

Stop with this. We have 2 really awesome DB coaches. If you want to see bad DB play look no further back than the Ellis Johnson era. Absolutely horrific.

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

Stop with this. We have 2 really awesome DB coaches. If you want to see bad DB play look no further back than the Ellis Johnson era. Absolutely horrific.

Ahh the old titty bumping years. Nobody could tackle properly.

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

Everyone has their favorite "gripe".....so if you have an open forum....you get to hear them all....:)   but some do make you wonder don't they :dunno:

53 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

I'm worried that Kodi might leave...

I like Kodi, but serious question - where would he go?

1 minute ago, AUGunsmith said:

Yes please. 

Everybody is way way to harsh on Kodi. HE IS NOT the problem. The offense he is a WRs coach for IS. Hopefully the version of Malzahns offense we should of been using all along which is what took Dabo's career and Clemsons program to the next level is what we will start to see more and more of now that Chad is here.

Chad is a great offensive coach and strong recruiter.   He is also, as a person, a good fit at AU.   Very good hire!

My obvious concern is the issue we’ve had with every single OC we’ve had under Gus.   I have a tiny sliver of hope because of how much Gus values and trusts Chad.   We’ll see.  I will say this, Gus is a genius at finding ways to create a sliver of hope in spite of the fact he very rarely delivers.  

2 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Ahh the old titty bumping years. Nobody could tackle properly.

giphy-19.gif

6-7 the year before Morris and the next 4 years he was there they went: 10-4, 11-2, 11-2 and 10-3, Completely changed Dabo and Clemson forever.

ByJASON CALDWELL 
  •  
  •  
  •  

If you talk about the college football world at the moment one of the programs that is at the top of the list is Clemson with Coach Dabo Swinney attempting to win a second straight national title and the third in four years. When you look back at the beginning, however, this run might not have happened without the hiring of Chad Morris as the offensive coordinator after the 2010 season.

Now Auburn’s offensive coordinator after he was hired by Gus Malzahn on Tuesday, Morris was an up-and-coming coach in the business following along in Malzahn’s footsteps from high school to Tulsa when he got the job in the ACC with the Tigers.

At that time people were wondering if Swinney was the man for the job or not. Coming off a 6-7 season, Clemson was just 15-12 in his first two seasons as the head coach and in 2010 his team scored more than 30 points just twice against power five competition (31 vs. Maryland and 30 vs. Wake Forest). Five times Clemson was held to less than 20 points in a game.

Taking over the offense for the 2011 season, Morris helped Clemson score 30 or more points eight times against power five foes, including two 50-point games. Averaging just 24 points per game and 334.6 yards of total offense in 2010, Clemson jumped up to 33.6 points and 440.8 yards in just one season under Morris.

In 2012 the numbers continued to soar with Clemson averaging 41 points per game and 512.7 yards of total offense in an 11-2 season. In that season only South Carolina (17) held Clemson to less than 25 points with the Tigers scoring more than 40 points eight times.

That roll continued into 2013 with Clemson again winning 11 games thanks in large part to an offense that averaged 40.2 points and 508.1 yards of offense per contest. Once again the Tigers scored 40 or more points eight times, including a 40-35 win over Ohio State in the Orange Bowl.

Morris’ impact during his four years at Clemson as offensive coordinator helped result in a 41-11 record, the 2011 ACC Championship and four bowl berths, including two BCS Orange Bowl appearances. Under Morris’ offense, the Tigers set 127 offensive records (89 individual/38 team) and posted the top three scoring seasons in school history, as well as four of the top five passing seasons at Clemson.

From the 2012 NFL Draft to 2015 NFL Draft, Morris saw seven of his offensive players drafted, including four wide receivers, tied for the most from any school over that span. Included in the quartet of wide receivers drafted were first round picks DeAndre Hopkins (Houston Texans) and Sammy Watkins (Los Angeles Rams).  Morris also recruited 2015 All-Americans Deshaun Watson and Shaq Lawson, who both went on to be first round NFL draft picks.

Morris, who was head coach at SMU from 2015-17, left Dallas to coach at Arkansas, where he was head coach the past two seasons before the Razorbacks decided to make a change in November.

Morris takes over at Auburn for Kenny Dillingham, who spent one season with the Tigers after making the move from Mike Norvell's staff at Memphis. Dillingham is now at Florida State, which hired Norvell as its new head coach.

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

Everybody is way way to harsh on Kodi. HE IS NOT the problem. The offense he is a WRs coach for IS. Hopefully the version of Malzahns offense we should of been using all along which is what took Dabo's career and Clemsons program to the next level is what we will start to see more and more of now that Chad is here.

☝️

I don't get the Kodi hate. His recievers block well (for the most part) and run the routes that are called. Plus I've seen several wide open receivers this year, it's just those balls had Seth Williams' name on it from the snap (not sure whether to blame Gus or Nix for that but point is, they've been open). For that matter, I don't think I can name a single assistant coach with a reputation for developing receivers... Now scouting them maybe. But WR is a position in which you either got it, or you don't.

Gus and Chad at their first offensive meeting at Auburn 😂

95174BB7-A152-4228-B966-EE8D7CCFAD9C.jpeg

Archived