Chad Morris Hired as OC

ClaytonAU

12 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Not on here and on 247. Everything is I would say 97% positive. lol MATT LUKE?!??! Sure as OL coach I would love to have him. But the great thing about Chad is he is a great QB coach and we needed that most of all. Well you tell those people who are being negative He pulled in a top 20 class in his only full crutin class at Arky coming off of a 2 win season. That is one of the most impressive recruiting classes I have ever seen!

This site seems to have much more intelligent posters than others. Go on al.com or the Facebook pages and you can smell the crayons those people are eating.

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, AuJoe said:

Bird is a Gus supporter! Choked on my coke (the drink not the other stuff, 😉). That was my good laugh for the day...heck, I'm still giggling over it while I try to read more posts. 🤪

If neither side knows what side I'm on, then I say I'm in a pretty good spot!

16 minutes ago, bigbird said:

If neither side knows what side I'm on, then I say I'm in a pretty good spot!

You're on the side that thinks the poor o-line play has been a big part of our offensive woes, and that Gus, being the head coach and 'offensive genius' behind the OL players we have recruited,  bears a large portion of the blame for our lack of talent and development on the o-line.

That's not to say that you don't also recognize Gus' positive aspects as our head coach.

What has got me excited about Chad is he LOVES to use the tight end a lot in the passing game. In 2011 Chad's first year at Clemson Dwayne Allen caught 50 passes for 598 yards and 8 Touchdowns. Won the Mackey Award for best TE in the country. In 2012 his second TE at Clemson Brandon Ford was First team all ACC and caught 40 passes for 480 yards and 8 touchdowns........ It would be sooooooooooooooooooo nice and freaking awesome to throw to the TE a lot more!

19 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

What has got me excited about Chad is he LOVES to use the tight end a lot in the passing game. In 2011 Chad's first year at Clemson Dwayne Allen caught 50 passes for 598 yards and 8 Touchdowns. Won the Mackey Award for best TE in the country. In 2012 his second TE at Clemson Brandon Ford was First team all ACC and caught 40 passes for 480 yards and 8 touchdowns........ It would be sooooooooooooooooooo nice and freaking awesome to throw to the TE a lot more!

Maybe he can show that to Joiner and talk him into making a move...

21 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

You're on the side that thinks the poor o-line play has been a big part of our offensive woes, and that Gus, being the head coach and 'offensive genius' behind the OL players we have recruited,  bears a large portion of the blame for our lack of talent and development on the o-line.

That's not to say that you don't also recognize Gus' positive aspects as our head coach.

There... there are others???

18 hours ago, The Freak said:

I'm pretty optimistic about this hire!

Hoping for a joined force like this:

tenor.gif?itemid=5783927

Wassamatta? NCAA got dem pooshing tu mahny pensools?

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

There... there are others???

There is the side for whom Gus is persona non grata, and there is the side who won't/can't admit that Gus has made mistakes.  I think most sensible fans are somewhere in between.   

The thing that I keep thinking about with Chad is that his offense back in the Clemson era was very similar to Gus’s.  He had success with it, as did Gus.  D Coordinators figured them out and devised ways to stop their offenses.  Neither has had consistent offensive success since those days.  I know that Chad is good with QBs, much better than Gus, and a good recruiter.  I hope that between the two of them they can change the offense, especially the passing game so that DCs get confused again. 

19 hours ago, LKEEL75 said:

It is not a question.  There is no doubt that Gus will continue to call plays.

Interesting because the question of who will call the plays is currently the hottest question/debate on this forum.

There’s only one person on the planet who knows if Gus will call 100% of the plays and it isn’t you. 

15 hours ago, auburnphan said:

I was not aware that Clemson offered him the job.  I am aware that they have an opening.

Did I say Clemson offered him the job?

14 hours ago, imaolgatiger said:

This is typical of the posters on this site. 

What is typical?

20 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

There is the side for whom Gus is persona non grata, and there is the side who won't/can't admit that Gus has made mistakes.  I think most sensible fans are somewhere in between.   

What is this “sensible fan” that you speak of?😬

2 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

What is this “sensible fan” that you speak of?😬

I must admit that when you think about it, 'sensible fanatic' is kind of an oxymoron.

57 minutes ago, Viper said:

Interesting because the question of who will call the plays is currently the hottest question/debate on this forum.

There’s only one person on the planet who knows if Gus will call 100% of the plays and it isn’t you. 

You are so right Mr Viper.  I am so sorry for wording my opinion as if it were fact.  I am so sorry to offend you for saying what 85% of the board is saying that CGM is going to be calling the plays next year.  Let me word it more delicately for you....

Mr Viper.  I believe that CGM will be calling the plays last year because he has been more involved and more excited about this season than years in the past.  I believe CGM will be calling plays next year because he feels he should do what is natural to him and that is calling the plays.  I believe CGM will be calling plays next year because he is going to succeed or fail on his own accord and not rely on others.

17 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I am just now seeing this tweet. Am I missing something here???

It was speculated that if Gus stays, Steele is gone.  I’m not sure if it is still true after the CCM hire, BUT there is a rumor LSU’s DC is in negotiations with two schools about being their HC and Wee Man was not happy with his D this year.  There are always openings.

37 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

You are so right Mr Viper.  I am so sorry for wording my opinion as if it were fact.  I am so sorry to offend you for saying what 85% of the board is saying that CGM is going to be calling the plays next year.  Let me word it more delicately for you....

Mr Viper.  I believe that CGM will be calling the plays last year because he has been more involved and more excited about this season than years in the past.  I believe CGM will be calling plays next year because he feels he should do what is natural to him and that is calling the plays.  I believe CGM will be calling plays next year because he is going to succeed or fail on his own accord and not rely on others.

Why did he hire one of the top OCs in the country then? He could've hired another Dilly or promoted Kodi for a fraction of the price and betted on himself again. I know what his MO was in the past for calling plays, but his MO in the past was also hiring unproven coordinators. Hiring Morris alone is a deviation from the norm.

Top post on the reddit thread, not gonna like it made me chuckle:

"If Chad Morris takes the offensive coordinator job at Auburn that’ll be two SEC schools simultaneously paying him not to coach."

24 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

It was speculated that if Gus stays, Steele is gone.  I’m not sure if it is still true after the CCM hire, BUT there is a rumor LSU’s DC is in negotiations with two schools about being their HC and Wee Man was not happy with his D this year.  There are always openings.

Steel would go to Bama before LSU. He's invested in the Alabama retirement pension plan, so he's staying in the state. I'm not sure how much he liked working with Saban before and he's already one of the highest paid assistants in college football. Unless he legit hates Gus, who I guarantee gives him a lot more autonomy with the defense than Saban would, then I don't see why he'd take a lateral move across the state. I think Steel is here to stay.

Just now, caleb1633 said:

Why did he hire one of the top OCs in the country then? He could've hired another Dilly or promoted Kodi for a fraction of the price and betted on himself again. I know what his MO was in the past for calling plays, but his MO in the past was also hiring unproven coordinators. Hiring Morris alone is a deviation from the norm.

I don't think it is a deviation.  I think if he would have hired a proven OC that was not a friend for last 20 years then maybe it would be deviation.  Being friends for 20 years, he can have Morris come in and help with QB development, help revamp the O, give inputs.  But I will be blown away if CGM is not calling the plays by the end of next season.

Just now, LKEEL75 said:

I don't think it is a deviation.  I think if he would have hired a proven OC that was not a friend for last 20 years then maybe it would be deviation.  Being friends for 20 years, he can have Morris come in and help with QB development, help revamp the O, give inputs.  But I will be blown away if CGM is not calling the plays by the end of next season.

I doubt Morris is the only OC out there with ties to Gus that could've come here. Morris is also one of the top OCs in the country the past decade. He could've gone ANYWHERE. Why would he come here if he felt he was gonna be micromanaged? Do you know Gus better than Morris? Doubtful, since you said it yourself: they've been friends for 20 years. Maybe Gus is just immutable and will be calling plays by the end of next season,  but I think the differences in this hire from previous ones doesn't allow us to say that for certain.

5 minutes ago, caleb1633 said:

Steel would go to Bama before LSU. He's invested in the Alabama retirement pension plan, so he's staying in the state. I'm not sure how much he liked working with Saban before and he's already one of the highest paid assistants in college football. Unless he legit hates Gus, who I guarantee gives him a lot more autonomy with the defense than Saban would, then I don't see why he'd take a lateral move across the state. I think Steel is here to stay.

I agree and wouldn’t have thought any different except for the FootballScoop tweet.  Sometime the mind wanders into dark places.

Archived