Chad Morris Hired as OC

ClaytonAU

41 minutes ago, bigbird said:

This hire for me...

giphy.gif

Gus, just when I am totally on board with you being fired, you pull something like this... 

image.gif

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, bigbird said:

I doubt he would lie to a friend he's had for over 20 years

Agreed.  One would hope not.  But Rhett was with him since high school at Springdale.  He was kinda thrown under the “bus”. 

20 minutes ago, around4ever said:

Agreed.  One would hope not.  But Rhett was with him since high school at Springdale.  He was kinda thrown under the “bus”. 

Thinking Chad is more his peer/equal...?

I can't see what Marcello writes behind the pay-wall, but on my five minute drive home yesterday I heard him say "It will be more of the same, Gus will call plays, but they can work together to improve the passing game" which to me is hilarious because Lindsey, and Dillingham were brought on for this very same scenario; or so I thought.

Almost time to back it down, watch the bowl game and go into hibernation until the nip-watch and the irresistible urge to get excited once again in July/August about our inevitable forthcoming run at the natty.

8 hours ago, jAUSon said:

I can't see what Marcello writes behind the pay-wall, but on my five minute drive home yesterday I heard him say "It will be more of the same, Gus will call plays, but they can work together to improve the passing game" which to me is hilarious because Lindsey, and Dillingham were brought on for this very same scenario; or so I thought.

Almost time to back it down, watch the bowl game and go into hibernation until the nip-watch and the irresistible urge to get excited once again in July/August about our inevitable forthcoming run at the natty.

Nobody can say what will happen.  It would be in Gus' best interest to use CM to the fullest.  It would be just like Gus to make a hire, say he's going to change things just to get people off is back, and go back to business as usual. 

Nobody knows what will actually come to pass. 

Be hopeful, but reserve the right to say Gus sucks when things don't change.  

Is he an upgrade and the answer is yes. Let's just see how things go. Everything doesn't need to be a negative.  

9 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

You folks do know this is a one year thing?

No, we don’t know that. If it works out, then that sucks...and if it doesn’t work, then 🤷🏻‍♂️

1 minute ago, AUDevil said:

No, we don’t know that. If it works out, then that sucks...and if it doesn’t work, then 🤷🏻‍♂️

It's a one year deal. Chad wants to be a HC in 2021. It's not going to suck but I'm not sure that Chad is going to make that huge of a splash like most here. I hope he can take on Nix and coach him up. If he can then it's well worth it even if nothing else changes. Nix needs a good QB coach.

On 12/10/2019 at 6:15 PM, Sizzle said:

I highly doubt he’s going anywhere. The next move he makes is retirement, don’t think he’s trying to keep moving

Everyone keeps talking about an imminent retirement for Steele but he still needs 3-4 years to vest in the Alabama state retirement system.

23 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

What has got me excited about Chad is he LOVES to use the tight end a lot in the passing game. In 2011 Chad's first year at Clemson Dwayne Allen caught 50 passes for 598 yards and 8 Touchdowns. Won the Mackey Award for best TE in the country. In 2012 his second TE at Clemson Brandon Ford was First team all ACC and caught 40 passes for 480 yards and 8 touchdowns........ It would be sooooooooooooooooooo nice and freaking awesome to throw to the TE a lot more!

Me too, I just don't know of one on the roster that is ready to be an impact.  HB/TE recruiting has almost been as bad as OL and QB.

13 hours ago, AU64 said:

Color me not believing it.   Now I guess if BM had an interview with Gus and asked the question and got a direct answer.....but considering the source, more like he extrapolated his answer from other comments made by Gus....JMO...the al.com approach to the news...

Marcello works for 247, not al dot com. Might not make a difference to you but there is indeed a big difference. I haven't always liked Marcello and he hasn't always liked Gus, but he's actually much closer to a real journalist than you give him credit for. 

30 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

who cares? If he represents and we can get the apex of our offense then I doubt any of us would care if it is a one year rental. 

20 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

It's a one year deal. Chad wants to be a HC in 2021. It's not going to suck but I'm not sure that Chad is going to make that huge of a splash like most here. I hope he can take on Nix and coach him up. If he can then it's well worth it even if nothing else changes. Nix needs a good QB coach.

My hope is that, like Muschamp, Chad is an agent of change.

40 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Some other connecteds I’ve seen say they expec it to be a two or three year thing because that’s how long it’s gonna take to repair Chad Morris’s work from Arkansas enough to be a HC candidate.

12 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Some other connecteds I’ve seen say they expec it to be a two or three year thing because that’s how long it’s gonna take to repair Chad Morris’s work from Arkansas enough to be a HC candidate.

My thoughts exactly; AD’s aren’t gonna forget that train wreck for quite some time. It’s not just that he lost, but it’s how he couldn’t unite a locker room. That’s poor leadership as a head coach, not just in over his head. 

I think he’ll be a good coordinator, though. 

9 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Maybe that 

16 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

will allow time for that. Not that I'm rooting against CCM getting his wish to be a HC again.  But he's a wealthy man by any reasonable standard, he'll be living in a great small town, and maybe he and Gus will see lasting improvements in their coaching abilities result from their time together. Win win. 

4 minutes ago, rophle said:

That’s poor leadership as a head coach

Not necessarily. I’ve been a part Of many locker rooms. If the kids who were the most influencers in the locker room are bad apples they’re going to Affect the entire tree no matter what leadership skills the head coach may have.

2 minutes ago, lurtz said:

Maybe that 

will allow time for that. Not that I'm rooting against CCM getting his wish to be a HC again.  But he's a wealthy man by any reasonable standard, he'll be living in a great small town, and maybe he and Gus will see lasting improvements in their coaching abilities result from their time together. Win win. 

I'm not sure he needs a ton of time. If he's allowed to do his thing and we have a big year on offense- big and maybe even unlikely ifs, for sure- then maybe Gus finally realizes that he can trust his OC to be an OC and he'll look for another Chad Morris instead of another Dilly with the next hire. I mentioned Muschamp because in one year he was able to effect fundamental change in our approach to defense. Not just in an Xs and Os way, and not just with Gus. He succeeded in getting the PTB's hands off the defense. It's a different fight on offense but big changes can happen fast. 

That said, I will hope for that outcome that E suggested and you quoted. Assuming our offense actually functions next year, of course.

If Morris is a one year deal, it could definitely be worth it in the long run if only for his coaching of Nix. I think back to 2002. I maintain it was Petrino that did the most development of Jason Campbell at Auburn, coming in his sophomore year after a lackluster 2001 season. Campbell may not have become a 1st rounder until 2004 and Borges’ offense but there’s no doubt he took the biggest leap in ability and performance in 2002. I hope Nix can manage the same thing with a real and proven QB coach mentoring him.

But like E said, I suspect Morris will be here at least 2 years, just because of his reputation needing to be reset. Then again, we didn’t expect USC to hire Muschamp in 2016 so soon after UF but then, it wasn’t quite as bad as Morris’ failure at Arky. He may be desperate to be a HC again after a year here and take an FCS job somewhere.

42 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Exactly! Granted Muschamp was different in expressing his wants for change. 😂

peacock.gif

Archived