Chad Morris Hired as OC

ClaytonAU

Morris still had a successful stint at SMU.  He could jump to a smaller school next year, or heck, he could still do that this offseason if the right offer came along.

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Muschamp got a SEC job 1 yr after the disaster at Florida.  A Big 12 coach that was 3-19 got an SEC job yrs ago.  It only takes one school to give a guy another chance and for him to accept it.  

23 minutes ago, SuperAUsome09 said:

Exactly! Granted Muschamp was different in expressing his wants for change. 😂

peacock.gif

If he didn’t do it how how he did, it was never gonna happen.  It was the first time Gus conceded anything and changed..  He recreated the Auburn culture on defense.  Forever thankful to him for that.

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

You folks do know this is a one year thing?

No. did not know this is a one season thing. 

If it's a one-year thing, then.....

This hire is not about refreshing the offense.

It is not about teaching a QB.

This hire is about doing an old friend a solid by providing him an office and paying him other peoples' money to look for a head coaching job elsewhere. 

Soooooooooooooooo JABA!      :puke:

7 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

If he didn’t do it how how he did, it was never gonna happen.  It was the first time Gus conceded anything and changed..  He recreated the Auburn culture on defense.  Forever thankful to him for that.

Exactly.

Kevin Steele stands on no man's shoulders in terms of job performance, but what he's done doesn't happen at Auburn if not for Muschamp.

21 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Morris still had a successful stint at SMU.  He could jump to a smaller school next year, or heck, he could still do that this offseason if the right offer came along.

He had a winning record only 1 of the 3 years there. And that was a meager 7-5. The other 2 yearswere 2-10 & 5-7. I wouldn't exactly call that a successful stint.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

can we just enjoy the fact that we got a grand slam hire ?

Can't be categorized as a grand slam til we see the performance on the field FWIW.

Just now, ellitor said:

Can't be categorized as a grand slam til we see the performance on the field FWIW.

Well I am categorizing it as a grand slam hire. You don’t have to. 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Well I am categorizing it as a grand slam hire. You don’t have to. 

It is a great and easy hire, but I can't call it a grand slam when he still hasn't even walked on the field or had an at bat.

Just now, auburnphan said:

It is a great and easy hire, but I can't call it a grand slam when he still hasn't even walked on the field or had an at bat.

You absolutely don’t have to

Just now, auburnphan said:

For any other coach it would be a grand slam. For someone as controlling as Gus it’s all about potential.

14 minutes ago, ellitor said:

He had a winning record only 1 of the 3 years there. And that was a meager 7-5. The other 2 yearswere 2-10 & 5-7. I wouldn't exactly call that a successful stint.

He took a 1-11 team and turned it into a 7-6 team by the time he left.  There's little reason that should justify being hired as an SEC West HC...but that should still be attractive to a struggling small program.

i am with dag in i believe it is a grand slam as well. i hope our passing game is much improved but for someone to imply bo would not learn anything from a super qb coach even for year is nothing more than sour grapes. i am pretty sure coach morris has enough money of his own without needing handouts from auburn.

3 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

He took a 1-11 team and turned it into a 7-6 team by the time he left.  There's little reason that should justify being hired as an SEC West HC...but that should still be attractive to a struggling small program.

and i might be wrong but is the coach at smu riding high off or the players chad recruited or am i just high? lol

19 minutes ago, DAG said:

can we just enjoy the fact that we got a grand slam hire ? Holy crap lol 

I'm with you on this. I get what other people are saying about it not being a home run yet, but I tend to think like you are here. 

It's like if we hired Bob Stoops as HC. That is a home run hire until it isn't. There's no guarantee that Stoops wins more than Gus, but nobody in their right mind would be worried about waiting and seeing. That's a grand slam.

Morris isn't that level of hire, of course, but I look at the same way. We got the best guy out there. Ball, meet bat. 

2 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i am with dag in i believe it is a grand slam as well. i hope our passing game is much improved but for someone to imply bo would not learn anything from a super qb coach even for year is nothing more than sour grapes. i am pretty sure coach morris has enough money of his own without needing handouts from auburn.

If Chad Morris had went to UGA, the responses would be completely different. The hire is top notch. The results are a different equation. It's like saying JS wasn't a slam dunk signing because we didn't meet expectations. 

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

If Chad Morris had went to UGA, the responses would be completely different. The hire is top notch. The results are a different equation. It's like saying JS wasn't a slam dunk signing because we didn't meet expectations. 

Outside of getting Freeze last year, it's the best we could hope for.  It may never qualify as a grand slam because Gus' control will not let it.  But out of all the choices, it's the best...no doubt.  Huge upgrade over Dilly, and that's not a knock on him at all.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Some other connecteds I’ve seen say they expec it to be a two or three year thing because that’s how long it’s gonna take to repair Chad Morris’s work from Arkansas enough to be a HC candidate.

My initial thought was that it might work out for a couple of years at best. Not sure how one year of play calling collaboration with Gus gets him a big-time gig again. 

6 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

and i might be wrong but is the coach at smu riding high off or the players chad recruited or am i just high? lol

maybe...kind of like Chizik and Gus winning a natty with Tubs' players + Cam.

Just now, AUDevil said:

Outride of getting Freeze last year, it's the best we could hope for.  It may never qualify as a grand slam because Gus' control will not let it.  But out of all the choices, it's the best...no doubt.  Huge upgrade over Dilly, and that's not a knock on him at all.

Pretty much this.  I tend to believe the dynamics will work between them. Last year, we were within one possession in our losses. Imagine, if we had half the brain power of someone like Chad on the sideline. The key is Gus being open to it.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

i agree. i think we suffer from the" everybody is a coach"  on this board. while we do have some coaches or other cats that know football we have some that do not. hell i even understand how some are weary of gus but to just make statements that are not true concerning gus and pretty sad.

i bet daddy nix is pleased we got a wonderful qb coach.

4 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i agree. i think we suffer from the" everybody is a coach"  on this board. while we do have some coaches or other cats that know football we have some that do not. hell i even understand how some are weary of gus but to just make statements that are not true concerning gus and pretty sad.

I understand people being reserved because of the Gus factor but to act like this isn’t an excellent hire is beyond words. The hire is top notch, it shouldn’t matter how you feel about Gus. It’s like if he would get a commit from the best available Pocket passing. Whether you believe it would work or not is irrelevant to the type of commit you just received. If it doesn’t work then those two will have to point to themselves because the talent and schedule is there to make a legit run. 

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

With out a doubt this was the best that Gus could get, hands down.  Love it.

Not sure that he is the QB Guru that he is getting credit for, but I don't know if there are really many if any great QB coaches in college ball.  They don't get enough time to work with the guys like a private QB coach can fundamentally.  I think from a film room guy he is gonna be great for Nix. The only one who can fix Nix's fundamentals is gonna be Nix himself by hiring a coach.

From a recruiting standpoint it is great, keeps that opening in that Texas door we have started.

Like everybody said if Gus listens to him and we adjust, who am I kidding, develop a sophisticated modern passing attack the value of this hire is unmeasurable.  Gus could be the coach for a longtime if that happens.

Archived