Chad Morris Hired as OC

ClaytonAU

1 minute ago, auburnphan said:

With out a doubt this was the best that Gus could get, hands down.  Love it.

Not sure that he is the QB Guru that he is getting credit for, but I don't know if there are really many if any great QB coaches in college ball.  They don't get enough time to work with the guys like a private QB coach can fundamentally.  I think from a film room guy he is gonna be great for Nix. The only one who can fix Nix's fundamentals is gonna be Nix himself by hiring a coach.

From a recruiting standpoint it is great, keeps that opening in that Texas door we have started.

Like everybody said if Gus listens to him and we adjust, who am I kidding, develop a sophisticated modern passing attack the value of this hire is unmeasurable.  Gus could be the coach for a longtime if that happens.

Curious of your thoughts about his QB coaching abilities ?

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

It is a great and easy hire, but I can't call it a grand slam when he still hasn't even walked on the field or had an at bat.

Yup. It's a splash hire for sure. Grand slam comes with performance.

36 minutes ago, DAG said:

Pretty much this.  I tend to believe the dynamics will work between them. Last year, we were within one possession in our losses. Imagine, if we had half the brain power of someone like Chad on the sideline. The key is Gus being open to it.

This is the key to all of us skeptics, like I said the other day.

I've kept "my mouth shut" a few days as I have been burned by Gus so many times, I'm just over him, so initially I was VERY "meh" about it.

However, I'm going to keep an open mind, as this actually IS almost the perfect scenario that gives us hope that maybe Gus will give Trust a try and let Morris do for the O, what Boom did for the D.

If Gus can do that (and figure out the O-Line situation) then magic can indeed happen.

Okay DAG.... You've talked me into feeling good about this.  :cheers:

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Curious of your thoughts about his QB coaching abilities ?

I guess I see it a little bit like how when Gus got into the show he was seen as a QB guru because his offenses put up big numbers, but there was really no development going on other than the process of becoming better in the offense because like most things that include repetition you improve in them.  There was not much development in decision making and even less in improving mechanics.   

I do believe that CM is gonna do wonders with Nix in the mental aspect of the game from film study, progressions and confidence.  For example Brady with Burrows, put in plays that fit his abilities and spent the time to make the reads to make the plays.  This is what I am hoping to see.

This is not meant to be a knock on CM, I was more so trying to point out that with how the system is set up that it is hard to be a college QB coach because you really can't put in the time that it takes like a private coach can when it comes to fundamentals.  

53 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Yup. It's a splash hire for sure. Grand slam comes with performance.

This, if you’re going to use a baseball metaphor; it’s CCM up to bat with the bases loaded and he hasn’t taken a swing yet.  The potential is there and we all have high hopes, but let’s see how the plate appearance plays out.

49 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

This, if you’re going to use a baseball metaphor; it’s CCM up to bat with the bases loaded and he hasn’t taken a swing yet.  The potential is there and we all have high hopes, but let’s see how the plate appearance plays out.

Oh, jeez. If you're going to go that deep with it then you have to go a little deeper and talk about what kind of hitter CCM is. 

Y'all are getting way too hung up on semantics. If you're genuinely arguing with the thought DAG was expressing, then name some better options that we passed on. If not, then just acknowledge you're arguing semantics and we can all move on from this foolishness. 

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

What's his batting average?

This is a God send for Bo. It really couldn't have worked out any better for him. He has the tools to be on the level many were already putting him on but he needed help to actually get there. He has a bunch of stuff to work on and now somebody to help him. If this doesn't happen.....it would've been bad IMO

On 12/11/2019 at 8:20 AM, GwillMac6 said:

What has got me excited about Chad is he LOVES to use the tight end a lot in the passing game. In 2011 Chad's first year at Clemson Dwayne Allen caught 50 passes for 598 yards and 8 Touchdowns. Won the Mackey Award for best TE in the country. In 2012 his second TE at Clemson Brandon Ford was First team all ACC and caught 40 passes for 480 yards and 8 touchdowns........ It would be sooooooooooooooooooo nice and freaking awesome to throw to the TE a lot more!

Is McClain still in the portal or has he signed with anybody?  He may come back knowing this.  

The 10 things I hope to see Chad improve/change

1. Using Schwartz, and all receivers for that matter, in a variety of ways and not pigeon holing athletes.
  2. Get Bo to step up more consistently and flush out less often.
  3. No long bombs on 3rd and short.
  4. Help prevent players from disappearing in games.
  5. Ball security.
  6. HUNH without substituting players.
  7. Emphasis on getting first downs and keeping the drive alive / staying ahead of the sticks.
  8. Legitimate rotation of the backfield.
  9. Legitimate opportunities for backup quarterback(s) to get reps against lesser opponents.
  10. Cohesive identity.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Oh, jeez. If you're going to go that deep with it then you have to go a little deeper and talk about what kind of hitter CCM is. 

Y'all are getting way too hung up on semantics. If you're genuinely arguing with the thought DAG was expressing, then name some better options that we passed on. If not, then just acknowledge you're arguing semantics and we can all move on from this foolishness. 

The only thing I’m saying here is, as I usually do, I will take a wait and see attitude.  I was expanding on ellitor’s thought with no thought of what DAG was expressing.  I also don’t care what other candidates were available as it doesn’t matter, Gus hired CCM.  It can be a great fit, but let’s wait and see how it turns out.  To me, it’s foolish to get worked up about this hire when we don’t know how it is going to work.  We, as fans, do this all the time.  Remember Tom Brady’s QB coach was hired as our OC back in 2012. 

1 hour ago, triangletiger said:

What's his batting average?

Batting averages don’t matter when you step up to the plate, you either hit the home run or don’t.  You are either prepared for the moment or your not.  The proof is in the plate appearance.

Hog fan here with much respect for Auburn. Guys, I sure hope Morris will be all that y’all think he’ll be, but he left Arkansas In a complete dumpster fire. Worst offense Arkansas has ever had...and that’s saying something after the Bert years. We were unprepared in every way imaginable. Mentally, physically and emotionally. Never was able to develop a QB and please tell me you saw our o line the past two years...unbelievably bad. My 12 year old gets the ball to the qb quicker than the Arkansas center. Bonehead play after bonehead play, which was so disappointing after being sold the Watson/Clemson hype. Just an unfortunate experience all the way around. 
With all this being said, maybe he just wasn’t cut out to be a HC? Maybe he just needs a HC like Dabo or CGM to run the program while he only focuses on recruiting and offense? Time will tell! Best of luck to Auburn football!

14 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Batting averages don’t matter when you step up to the plate, you either hit the home run or don’t.  You are either prepared for the moment or your not.  The proof is in the plate appearance.

As @bigbird would say, it's 50/50.  

48 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

The only thing I’m saying here is, as I usually do, I will take a wait and see attitude.  I was expanding on ellitor’s thought with no thought of what DAG was expressing.  I also don’t care what other candidates were available as it doesn’t matter, Gus hired CCM.  It can be a great fit, but let’s wait and see how it turns out.  To me, it’s foolish to get worked up about this hire when we don’t know how it is going to work.  We, as fans, do this all the time.  Remember Tom Brady’s QB coach was hired as our OC back in 2012. 

Yeah but if we had promoted Kodi Burns I am sure you would have the same wait and see attitude?

Am I right

Tom Brady’s QB coach? Really

thats your example? My god. 

You are talking about don’t get worked up and you went out of your way to make up another metaphor You had no thought on what I said but then you say something about the bases being loaded, it’s the 9th inning, it’s 3 balls and 2 strikes.  WTF.  But I am being foolish. Some of y’all need to stop. 

6 hours ago, ellitor said:

Not necessarily. I’ve been a part Of many locker rooms. If the kids who were the most influencers in the locker room are bad apples they’re going to Affect the entire tree no matter what leadership skills the head coach may have.

Head coaches get paid a lot of money to find ways to overcome those bad apple influencers as you put it. He couldn’t do it and got fired because of it. Do you think a top level coach couldn’t have figured out a way to get rid of them?

Hog fan here with much respect for AU. Just see lots of love on here for Morris and was wondering what you guys are seeing in him? The past two years have been a dumpster fire at UA. Offense has been the worst I’ve ever seen. We came into every game woefully unprepared. Physically, mentally and emotionally unprepared. O line not knowing who to block, qb not able to make correct reads and receivers running wrong/sloppy routes. Arkansas was fed the Watson/Clemson hype too, but never saw a smidgen of that success. He’s definitely not cut out for head coach, as he lost the team mid season once they realized they were regressing, but maybe with much less responsibility, he can regain focus and get back to winning. Best of luck to AU and Morris!

2 hours ago, DAG said:

Yeah but if we had promoted Kodi Burns I am sure you would have the same wait and see attitude?

But we didn’t promote Kodi and yes I would have a wait and see.  I might comment that it was a typical Gus move, but the only thing I can do is *wait and see*.

2 hours ago, DAG said:

But I am being foolish

Yes, everything posted is not all about you,

18 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

But we didn’t promote Kodi and yes I would have a wait and see.  I might comment that it was a typical Gus move, but the only thing I can do is *wait and see*.

Yes, everything posted is not all about you,

Says the guy openly advocating for PJ Fleck to be the our next head coach before seasons end. Totally wait and see approach. Pot meet kettle.

44 minutes ago, DAG said:

Says the guy openly advocating for PJ Fleck to be the our next head coach before seasons end. Totally wait and see approach. Pot meet kettle.

You’re unbelievably, I believe a lot of people were speculating that a new coach may be in the future. In fact there were threads dedicated to the subject, which I’m sure you posted in.  Nobody has mentioned that since we beat Bama,  What a foolish statement,

10 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

You’re unbelievably, I believe a lot of people were speculating that a new coach may be in the future. In fact there were threads dedicated to the subject, which I’m sure you posted in.  Nobody has mentioned that since we beat Bama,  What a foolish statement,

Yep but I never said people were being foolish for having a preconceived notions on who will be the best hire possible well before the end of the season (all hypothetical mind you). You just called us, who believe an ACTUAL hire is a slam dunk, grand slam, strike (whatever adjective you prefer) was foolish in thinking that because we have this preconceived notion without results. Again. Pot meet kettle. Now if auburn goes out and blast Minnesota , you are going to be looking real foolishly by some.

11 minutes ago, DAG said:

I never said people were being foolish

I didn’t either, I just choose to wait to see what happens.  If you misinterpreted what I posted as me calling someone foolish it was not my intent.

14 minutes ago, DAG said:

Now if auburn goes out and blast Minnesota , you are going to be looking real foolishly by some.

I would expect Auburn to beat Minnesota handily, Mikey is that you?

4 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I didn’t either, I just choose to wait to see what happens.  If you misinterpreted what I posted as me calling someone foolish it was not my intent.

I would expect Auburn to beat Minnesota handily, Mikey is that you?

Well you said it was foolish. How is that being misinterpreted? 

You would expect a PJ Fleck coach team to get beat handily, although you were advocating hardcore for him to be our next coach?  You see how that looks? 

The bottom line is if you are going to call someone out like that at the very least act what you preach

At least Mikey is consistent with his message no matter how much I disagree with it  

Archived