Null



Sign in to follow this  
auburn4ever

OL coach

Recommended Posts





Biggest issue is recruiting.  J.B. is a good coach but when he left and came back the cupboard was pretty bare.  That clown Gus hired while he was gone screwed that up.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My guess is even if Gus is entertaining the thoughts of a new OL coach or JB wants to retire it would be after early NSD!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hopsing said:

My guess is even if Gus is entertaining the thoughts of a new OL coach or JB wants to retire it would be after early NSD!

Possibly even after the bowl game 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JB Grimes seems to be a really good guy and has done an average to good job with the OL talent he was left when he came back.  They have gradually gotten better but it took near a full season to do so.  With a senior laden OL, should have happened faster in my opinion.  Having said that, I really do hope that Grimes decides to retire.  Now days, you really need a very good recruiter and a developer on the line of scrimmages.  You can't be one or the other and hope to be really successful long term.  With the hire of CCM as OC, I think going ahead with a change at OL would complete the immediate changes needed on offense.  I think we are fine at RB and WR (although debateble) at least for another season.  The change at OC and OL is enough for one offseason.  Too much change to quick may not be good in the long run with players and recruits.  If there is some twicking that needs to be done in either of those two positions, you address after next season.  Just my thoughts.  I am excited about the hire of CCM and am feeling cautiously optomistic for next season.  We shall see.  Really its going to come down to how much control Gus will give Chad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the worst part of our OL is poor evaluation in recruiting. Too many big recruits that turn out average, soft. But still, we may need an OL coach who is a good evaluator and recruiter, as well as coach. We do not have that right now. Hand really set us back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, boisnumber1 said:

I think the worst part of our OL is poor evaluation in recruiting. Too many big recruits that turn out average, soft. But still, we may need an OL coach who is a good evaluator and recruiter, as well as coach. We do not have that right now. Hand really set us back.

its been a problem before hand.   OL is hard to evaluate    looking at where the NFL offensive linemen went to college is very entertaining .   High rated OL recruits are like fools gold to me. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, auskip07 said:

its been a problem before hand.   OL is hard to evaluate    looking at where the NFL offensive linemen went to college is very entertaining .   High rated OL recruits are like fools gold to me. 

I dont feel it's that complicated. If you look at our starters this year, none were considered blue chip prospects out of high school. Kaleb Kim was in the army all american game but even he was low rated 4 star. It's pretty simple really...we need more of the high 4 and 5 star road grading hogmollies to make the Gus Bus go again. At least  with the way Gus drives it now. We absolutely need an elite online coach. The fact Gus fiddledicks around and wont get that done is beyond infuriating. 

Edited by twilli13
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, twilli13 said:

I dont feel it's that complicated. If you look at our starters this year, none were considered blue chip prospects out of high school. Kaleb Kim was in the army all american game but even he was low rated 4 star. It's pretty simple really...we need more of the high 4 and 5 star road grading hogmollies to make the Gus Bus go again. At least  with the way Gus drives it now. 

All pro NFL Offensive lineman last year 2018
https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2009/david-bakhtiari-29124   2 star 

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2007/mitchell-schwartz-27247  3 star

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2014/quenton-nelson-14848   5 star  

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2009/zack-martin-24544  4 star

Jason Kelce   http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/30349/jason-kelce    No stars not rated. 

 

Yeah i think it is that complicated.  2 of the 5 you would have considered to be good enough out of highschool to be recruited here.   

Edited by auskip07
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, auskip07 said:

All pro NFL Offensive lineman last year 2018
https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2009/david-bakhtiari-29124   2 star 

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2007/mitchell-schwartz-27247  3 star

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2014/quenton-nelson-14848   5 star  

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2009/zack-martin-24544  4 star

Jason Kelce   http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/30349/jason-kelce    No stars not rated. 

 

Yeah i think it is that complicated.  2 of the 5 you would have considered to be good enough out of highschool to be recruited here.   

What's your point? That has no bearing on whether or not our college team would better off with 4 and 5 star kids than 3 stars. Look at Bamas online....sure seem to be consistently damn good and they are mostly made up of 4 and 5 stars. That doesn't do it for ya? Go back and pull the star rankings from our 2016 and 2017 o linemen and compare them to the 18/19 bunch. Which line was way better? I'll take it a step further...what was the main changing factor between the 17 and 18 offenses? And which offense was better? I'll hang up and listen....

Who have been our most dominant offensive lineman in recent history....Greg Robinson, Braden Smith, Sean Coleman...going way back we had Marcus McNeil. Care to venture what they had in common?

Edited by twilli13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Grimes needs to be replaced. Coaching is the issue. The only player that was projected as a weakness on our OL is Horton, who was a higher ranked 3 star. Everyone else was a 4 star. These guys may have not been great, but they entered college ranked better than many of the other OLs we’ve fielded. They’ve been poorly coached.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

Grimes needs to be replaced. Coaching is the issue. The only player that was projected as a weakness on our OL is Horton, who was a higher ranked 3 star. Everyone else was a 4 star. These guys may have not been great, but they entered college ranked better than many of the other OLs we’ve fielded. They’ve been poorly coached.

I'm not gonna argue it could also be coaching, but again no high rated 4 or 5 star guys. Tega was a freaking d lineman who had barely played football. Herb Hand, not known as a good instructional coach, got better run blocking out of the 16 and 17 units than Grimes has out of the 18/19 ones. Again, 16 and 17 units had almost all 4 and 5 star guys with Braden Smith and Darrius James as 5 stars. 

I definitely agree Grimes needs to go

Edited by twilli13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What do y’all think about the other recent ex coach from the SEC West?  The Morris hire snuck up on me, but when Matt Luke got fired my ears did perk up and mind started wondering. If I’m being honest I didn’t know one thing about him before he got the ole Miss job, but since then every time I have heard him speak I have been impressed. Which means he is probably a good recruiter. Plus I think having head coaching experience is a good quality to have, and may be exactly what Gus needs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TXaubie said:

What do y’all think about the other recent ex coach from the SEC West?  The Morris hire snuck up on me, but when Matt Luke got fired my ears did perk up and mind started wondering. If I’m being honest I didn’t know one thing about him before he got the ole Miss job, but since then every time I have heard him speak I have been impressed. Which means he is probably a good recruiter. Plus I think having head coaching experience is a good quality to have, and may be exactly what Gus needs. 

Dude UGA grabbed him about a day ago

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We got a real problem, people: we've been putting band-aids on a major leak for a while now. 

The last several years, we've done well to get one or two four star OL each class.  By and large we've been getting 3 stars, and the 2020 class looks eerily similar.  We've been using grad transfers and juco guys as our talent base, and that's not sustainable.

I don't understand how we're missing this: it's not just evaluation on the recruiting front, it's straight-up missing.  In the 2010s and the 2013s, we were consistently winning big-time recruiting battles.  Our running game was attractive, and we were successfully getting 4 and 5-star players to come to Auburn.  We also built depth on the line with the talent we had.

This is something that could actually take years to fix.  I am hopeful that Chad Morris will bring an infusion of talent on the offensive line.  Until that time, we remain susceptible to what we saw in the Florida and Georgia games this year.

 

Edited by War to the Eagle
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Just now, DAG said:

Dude UGA grabbed him about a day ago

Lol. Well I guess I wasn’t alone in thinking that he would be a good hire. Excuse my ignorance!!  Now I will look to see what happened to their OLine coach. I guess the Morris hire wasn’t the only thing to sneak up on me. Smh!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, TXaubie said:

 

Lol. Well I guess I wasn’t alone in thinking that he would be a good hire. Excuse my ignorance!!  Now I will look to see what happened to their OLine coach. I guess the Morris hire wasn’t the only thing to sneak up on me. Smh!!

He took the HC job at Arkansas.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Missing out on Luke really sucked, although I don’t even think we’re pursuing a new OL coach

Yep and ohhhh joy we have six 3 stars and one 4 star o lineman committed in this class. Color me tickled pink 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, twilli13 said:

Yep and ohhhh joy we have six 3 stars and one 4 star o lineman committed in this class. Color me tickled pink 🤣

But we have depth...

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Missing out on Luke really sucked, although I don’t even think we’re pursuing a new OL coach

I'm honestly surprised Matt Luke took a position coach spot and didn't try to go the coordinator role even if it were G5 level.

That said, "missing out" implies he was even an option to begin with.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JBiGGiE said:

I'm honestly surprised Matt Luke took a position coach spot and didn't try to go the coordinator role even if it were G5 level.

That said, "missing out" implies he was even an option to begin with.

agree....or not sure AU staff sees him the same way that some posters see him.   Probably a good OL but ...JMO..he was not a "must have" guy....and not likely to be at Uga for very long.  I'm hoping if we make a change that it is someone who is not just trying to find a job while he looks for something better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, twilli13 said:

What's your point? That has no bearing on whether or not our college team would better off with 4 and 5 star kids than 3 stars. Look at Bamas online....sure seem to be consistently damn good and they are mostly made up of 4 and 5 stars. That doesn't do it for ya? Go back and pull the star rankings from our 2016 and 2017 o linemen and compare them to the 18/19 bunch. Which line was way better? I'll take it a step further...what was the main changing factor between the 17 and 18 offenses? And which offense was better? I'll hang up and listen....

Who have been our most dominant offensive lineman in recent history....Greg Robinson, Braden Smith, Sean Coleman...going way back we had Marcus McNeil. Care to venture what they had in common?

im pretty sure my point which was stated in my initial post and then reiterated in the response was that  its not as easy as pointing to a star ranking.       "its a hard position to recruit"   

historically you can point to a hand full that have panned out  but the amount that dont  is 3x that alteast. 

Edited by auskip07

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this