OL coach

auburn4ever

4 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

Kendall Simmons

Thank you! He is the one i was trying to think of. So he has 0 coaching experience outside this one year with AU this past season so I don't know how likely it would be that he would take over as line coach. 

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, triangletiger said:

Why shouldn't Ryan Pugh be considered?

As I see it there is nothing on his resume that indicates he is qualified to be an SEC OL coach. AU is not the place for on the job training IMO.

My opinion doesn't match with reality however as our own HC has been using training wheels since he was hired and almost exclusively only hires guys who also need to learn on the job -- on his side of the ball

Just now, Tiger said:

As I see it there is nothing on his resume that indicates he is qualified to be an SEC OL coach. AU is not the place for on the job training IMO.

My opinion doesn't match with reality however as our own HC has been using training wheels since he was hired and almost exclusively only hires guys who also need to learn on the job -- on his side of the ball

Here's his bio, per Troy (relevant experience in bold):

Ryan Pugh begins his first season as Troy's offensive coordinator and offensive line coach. A four-year starter and All-American at Auburn, joins the Troy staff following one season as the offensive line coach at BYU in addition to coaching stops at LSU, Cincinnati, Virginia Tech, Auburn and UT-San Antonio.

In his first season at BYU, the Cougars improved their scoring output by more than 10 points per game, their rushing total by more than 20 yards per game and their total offensive output by more than 39 yards per game. BYU finished 35th nationally with 27 rushing touchdowns on the season after finding the end zone just 12 times on the ground before Pugh's arrival. Additionally, center James Empey earned Football Writers Association of America Freshman All-America honors, Brady Christensen earned Freshman All-America (second team) honors and tackle Austin Hoyt was named to the Phil Steele All-Independent Team.

Prior to joining the staff at BYU, Pugh spent the previous two seasons at UTSA coaching the offensive line. Under Pugh, the Roadrunner offensive line led the way for a unit that scored a program-best 379 points en route to the school’s first bowl game in history, the 2016 New Mexico Bowl. 

In 2015, Pugh coached at LSU with the offensive line. The Tigers went 9-3 and finished No. 16 nationally. The offensive line blocked for a running game ranked seventh nationally and tops in the SEC at 256.8 yards per game.

Pugh spent the 2014 season at Cincinnati as a graduate assistant.  He helped tutor first-team all-conference selections offensive tackle Eric Lefeld and offensive guard Parker Ehlinger as the Bearcats went 9-4. Prior to Cincinnati, Pugh was at Virginia Tech in 2013 and helped the Hokies earn another bowl trip and an 8-5 overall record.

Pugh started his coaching career as a graduate assistant at his alma mater, Auburn, in 2012. Pugh helped eventual Rimington Trophy winner Reese Dismukes and 2014 NFL Draft second overall pick offensive tackle Greg Robinson.

A four-year letterwinner at Auburn from 2007-2010, Pugh earned All-America honors as a senior and was a finalist for the Rimington Trophy. He was a three-time All-SEC selection and was the starting center for the Tigers’ 2010 national championship team.

Pugh was also an academic award winner as a four-time SEC Academic All-Conference selection, CoSIDA Academic All-District selection and a Lowe’s Senior CLASS Award finalist in 2010. He signed with the Carolina Panthers as an undrafted free agent in 2011.

https://troytrojans.com/staff-directory/ryan-pugh/467

He's been coaching since 2012 and has steadily progressed through the coaching ranks.  I don't see why he wouldn't be a viable candidate.  I can understand someone not thinking that he's the best we could do, but it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility that he would be considered for the position.

1 minute ago, triangletiger said:

Here's his bio, per Troy (relevant experience in bold):

https://troytrojans.com/staff-directory/ryan-pugh/467

He's been coaching since 2012 and has steadily progressed through the coaching ranks.  I don't see why he wouldn't be a viable candidate.  I can understand someone not thinking that he's the best we could do, but it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility that he would be considered for the position.

Thanks posting his career breakdown. It seems he only has  3 years in the industry as an OL coach. While he may be trending up IMO having 3 years of experience is a little too green for me. We are an SEC power we don't have to rely on such inexperienced coaches. We are a more attractive job than that IMO.

For the record, my thoughts about this aren't about Pugh exclusively. I don't think we should be hiring coaches so young in the game at all. If no other P5 teams want them then I don't want them either. We need to surround our HC with experienced guys who have been around the block to mitigate Gus' inexperience. JMO of course.

If Pugh didn't play for AU I don't think anyone here would think he's a viable candidate. It's not a good sign if the strongest point on a guys' coaching resume is that they are a former player and I'd love to get away from that model

4 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Thanks posting his career breakdown. It seems he only has  3 years in the industry as an OL coach. While he may be trending up IMO having 3 years of experience is a little too green for me. We are an SEC power we don't have to rely on such inexperienced coaches. We are a more attractive job than that IMO.

For the record, my thoughts about this aren't about Pugh exclusively. I don't think we should be hiring coaches so young in the game at all. If no other P5 teams want them then I don't want them either. We need to surround our HC with experienced guys who have been around the block to mitigate Gus' inexperience. JMO of course.

If Pugh didn't play for AU I don't think anyone here would think he's a viable candidate. It's not a good sign if the strongest point on a guys' coaching resume is that they are a former player and I'd love to get away from that model

bowlcut leghumper agrees with you. At least I'm guessing that's why he hired a guy who was an SEC head coach a few weeks ago. 

2 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Valid point.  I do think you have to consider more than how long the guy's been coaching, though.  Is he an up-and-comer?  Chip Lindsey thought enough of him to make him his OC at Troy (at least, in title). Kenny Dillingham seems to be a bright, young star; perhaps Ryan Pugh is as well.  Travis Willams had no experience as a on-field coach when he was promoted to LB coach.  I'm not saying Pugh is the next T-Will, but I would not discount him solely on lack of experience.     

Just now, McLoofus said:

bowlcut leghumper agrees with you. At least I'm guessing that's why he hired a guy who was an SEC head coach a few weeks ago. 

Man, Luke would've been a stellar hire for us

45 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Lol I can't believe people think Ryan Pugh should be considered.

Screw it! Hire Jonathan Mincy as DB coach. Hell, let's have Cam Newton coach our QBs! And why haven't we contacted Damon Duval about coaching our special teams? After all he punted and kicked, didn't he?? Larry Porter? You gotta go. We're bringing in Tommy Trott. Thanks for your time.

Seriously?... Dude blocked the entire LSU band... he is my choice for Oline coach.

3 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

Valid point.  I do think you have to consider more than how long the guy's been coaching, though.  Is he an up-and-comer?  Chip Lindsey thought enough of him to make him his OC at Troy (at least, in title). Kenny Dillingham seems to be a bright, young star; perhaps Ryan Pugh is as well.  Travis Willams had no experience as a on-field coach when he was promoted to LB coach.  I'm not saying Pugh is the next T-Will, but I would not discount him solely on lack of experience.     

Agree it all should be considered but I'm tired of taking shots on guys like the Lashee/Chip Lindsey/Kodi/Dilly/and Cadillacs, even, of the world. We are a program that established and productive coaches would love to coach at and I'd love to tap into that group rather than guys who were analysts for Gus, played for Gus, or played for AU. If we were getting guys who were being plucked from us for promotions to other programs I'd understand it. But we aren't getting those types of guys. All I'm saying is I wish we would cast our net a little wider and focused more on things other than Gus' familiarity or Gus throwing a bone to someone to fill out our staff

4 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Seriously?... Dude blocked the entire LSU band... he is my choice for Oline coach.

sign him up. especially if he blocked that flappin tuba player.......lol. we need mean in an o line coach. serious mean.

29 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

I could've sworn we were guaranteed that we had depth. In fact, there was a list.

Of those 11, how many are OT?

6 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Grimes needs to go

Yes. This is absolutely urgent. We would be FOOLS to keep him with this development. I have no idea why Gus is so attached to the man.

Likelihood we actually part ways with him (in before "50/50")? If we don't, we may have 1998 redux. Thank god for that victory to "tide" us over while we wait for his buyout to run down. If he could just use Morris to make a decent damn OL hire, I would say we'd be set for a bright long term future with Nix and Bigsby.

For everyone in the back, "it's the offensive line, stupid!"

19 minutes ago, Butthead said:

so, do we get the Grimes retirement today?  if i am gus, i am throwing a lot of money around for the best o-line coach/recruiters in the business.

Not if he's in on the Bro Jones recruitment. 

22 minutes ago, Butthead said:

so, do we get the Grimes retirement today?  if i am gus, i am throwing a lot of money around for the best o-line coach/recruiters in the business.

a truck load.

Seriously, why not hire an NLF line coach.   Has to be an upgrade and would be very attractive to sway that 5* kid in Georgia who hasn't signed.  If Grimes wants to stay, slide to an analyst job.  Lots of ways to skin this cat.

and to Mc Loofus' point, the NFL guy will carry more credibility most likely.

Make a splash Gus!

On 12/16/2019 at 2:20 PM, triangletiger said:

Kendall Simmons

Has never been a position coach.  Has never recruited the position.  Went to Auburn.  Next OL Coach.  JABA.

7 hours ago, AU80cruiser said:

You guys better quit wishing for a new O-line coach because you know its going to be Herb Hand right?

Not sure if that bridge is burned, but it's compromised.

2 minutes ago, AU80cruiser said:

I was really just joking about Malzahns trust tree.

I kind of realized that a little bit too late. I really should not post before breakfast.

Archived