OL coach

auburn4ever

51 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I kind of realized that a little bit too late. I really should not post before breakfast.

FIFY 😁

:poke:

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally I think JB  Grimes is a fine offensive line coach and about as good a teacher as there is in the coaching ranks, He may not be the best recruiter out there, but then again in years gone by it may not have always been his call about which prospects AU recruited and signed.  I hope he sticks around for a few more years.

4 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

Personally I think JB  Grimes is a fine offensive line coach and about as good a teacher as there is in the coaching ranks, He may not be the best recruiter out there, but then again in years gone by it may not have always been his call about which prospects AU recruited and signed.  I hope he sticks around for a few more years.

If the rumors are true and Gus actually limits Grimes as to who he can recruit and who he can’t; how does one excel at recruiting?  How does a position coach get in the position we are in without getting in the HC’s ear every year?  How does a position coach allow the HC to sign more WRs then we need when his position is crumbling?

Will a new OL coach really help?

7 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

If the rumors are true and Gus actually limits Grimes as to who he can recruit and who he can’t; how does one excel at recruiting?  How does a position coach get in the position we are in without getting in the HC’s ear every year?  How does a position coach allow the HC to sign more WRs then we need when his position is crumbling?

Is this a set up for more Malzahn critics to tee off? I'm not playing.  Nothing is ever perfect and things can always improve. But let's not get derailed, please.

War Eagle!

12 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

some  credence in your post, but IF Gus were to make a splashy hire, like an NFL O line coach, it would indeed help us land the 5* kid signing in Feb.   So yes, the right kind of OL coach would indeed help.   Also, an OL coach from the NFL would carry some weight in planning and selecting recruiting targets.

That 5* high school kid who could play 3-4 yrs  would complete an already excellent recruiting class.  

However, 'The Law of the Lid' is what limits Gus.      https://www.johnmaxwell.com/blog/the-law-of-the-lid/

5 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

Is this a set up for more Malzahn critics to tee off?

No, it’s a honest question.  You mentioned in your OP that Grimes may not be a good recruiter and that it may not be his call.  Did you mean this or not?  I’m just trying think critically that some people don’t want to even go there.

2 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

No, it’s a honest question.  You mentioned in your OP that Grimes may not be a good recruiter and that it may not be his call.  Did you mean this or not?  I’m just trying think critically that some people don’t want to even go there.

I meant it. But it was not the point.

32 minutes ago, Beaker said:

some  credence in your post, but IF Gus were to make a splashy hire, like an NFL O line coach, it would indeed help us land the 5* kid signing in Feb.   So yes, the right kind of OL coach would indeed help.   Also, an OL coach from the NFL would carry some weight in planning and selecting recruiting targets.

That 5* high school kid who could play 3-4 yrs  would complete an already excellent recruiting class.  

However, 'The Law of the Lid' is what limits Gus.      https://www.johnmaxwell.com/blog/the-law-of-the-lid/

The operative word here is IF.  You are correct that Gus is limited by the Law of the Lid’s and we have seen this with CRL and CCL.  These coaches had to go somewhere else to prove themselves (CCL did get a HC job, but not before he took the leap at getting out of Auburn).  I’m not sure how a splash hire for the Oline who wanted to increase their leadership (coaching career) would want to coach under Gus.  I’m looking forward to CCM’s tenure here at Auburn, it could be very good for Auburn’s offense.

The position isn’t even open at this point.  A lot of people are hoping it becomes open.

IF we get an NFL OL coach it might mitigate some of the nega-recruiting our recruits hear from our rivals about developing OL for the NFL. I mean the system may not lend to prepping these guys for the next level but having someone who has built a life for himself coaching NFL OL we could at least sell the idea that the coach would know how to get the kids ready for the league. Of course we would never admit that about the system but having a guy with that type of experience on his resume could help diminish some of those issues

Grimes has not done anything to prove to be a power five coach since the Slocumb days.  He was a weak hire the first time around.  Great guy, mediocre coach for a long time.    Kansas to Ark State to Auburn to Cincinnati to UConn to Auburn.    Pretty much sums up his NCAA value by other coaches.

3 hours ago, auburnphan said:

Grimes has not done anything to prove to be a power five coach since the Slocumb days.  He was a weak hire the first time around.  Great guy, mediocre coach for a long time.    

Has Auburn ever beaten a highly ranked Nick Saban coached Alabama team with JB Grimes coaching our Tiger's offensive line? Ever had a 100 yard rusher against the vaunted Saban Tide defense?  If so, how? I mean with Grimes being so mediocre and all...

2 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

Has Auburn ever beaten a highly ranked Nick Saban coached Alabama team with JB Grimes coaching our Tiger's offensive line? Ever had a 100 yard rusher against the vaunted Saban Tide defense?  If so, how? I mean with Grimes being so mediocre and all...

No. Bama came in injured.

So the argument is nowJB’s recruiting isn’t good because Gus limits who he can recruit? Does Gus do this for every position? Why does offensive line recruiting fall flat every single year, while other position coaches land good recruits? 

21 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

So the argument is nowJB’s recruiting isn’t good because Gus limits who he can recruit? Does Gus do this for every position? Why does offensive line recruiting fall flat every single year, while other position coaches land good recruits? 

Lol. I know, its such a ridiculous premise. Like Grimes is ready to bring in a group full of blue chip guys and Gus is like, nah, I heard they dont like Waffle House or arcade games so we cant bring em in. Let's get only the guys who like those 2 things, football be damned. Grimes is just not an elite recruiter. It's been proven consistently. Folks love a good conspiracy theory though. 

5 minutes ago, twilli13 said:

Lol. I know, its such a ridiculous premise. Like Grimes is ready to bring in a group full of blue chip guys and Gus is like, nah, I heard they dont like Waffle House or arcade games so we cant bring em in. Let's get only the guys who like those 2 things, football be damned. Grimes is just not an elite recruiter. It's been proven consistently. Folks love a good conspiracy theory though. 

I’ve heard JB interviews he actually seems like a cool guy. I think he’s a solid coach. I believe the main issue is that all other school say that our offense is poor at producing NFL players. That doesn’t mean you can’t go to the NFL I think we have had some solid OL go pro. We just need a guy who can sway these players better. I don’t think JB has the “swag” these young whippersnappers are drawn to.

27 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

I’ve heard JB interviews he actually seems like a cool guy. I think he’s a solid coach. I believe the main issue is that all other school say that our offense is poor at producing NFL players. That doesn’t mean you can’t go to the NFL I think we have had some solid OL go pro. We just need a guy who can sway these players better. I don’t think JB has the “swag” these young whippersnappers are drawn to.

Yea he definitely seems like a good guy.... tough ole sob too. But like you said, these youngins mostly want a guy who is at least partially cool or has an alpha type personality. I remember years ago Rueben Foster said something to the effect of Ellis Johnson reminded him of his grandad. Not an insult I dont think, but maybe not a guy who inspires a ton of confidence or pull with younger guys. I feel like JB has that similar image in recruits minds. I just feel like to get elite guys, we need a rockstar type. Twill, Garner, Woodson, Cadillac and even Burns I think can all partially fit that mold to various degrees.  I just feel Grimes is kinda the odd man out. 

17 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

Some people are fans and other people understand football, I respect your fandom.

1 hour ago, auburnphan said:

Some people are fans and other people understand football, I respect your fandom.

LoL's! I think I understand football just fine, thank you.  Grimes has a rep as a good teacher. He does. He hasn't stayed in the game this long for no reason.

Grimes hasn't stayed in one place for long til he leaves for another coaching gig. We need a new OL coach. Maybe an OL coach from the NFL.

Our OL needs a new coach. Auburn's OL has not been up to par as in years past. Maybe we should look to the NFL for a better coach.

On 12/12/2019 at 10:02 AM, auburn4ever said:

The game has passed JB Grimes. We need a younger coach with fresh awesome ideas how to coach OL and recruit OL

Dejavu! I read that somewhere, oh yeah three or four posts earlier.

15 hours ago, toddc said:

Dejavu! I read that somewhere, oh yeah three or four posts earlier.

Obviously, it bears repeating.  😆

1 hour ago, auburn4ever said:

Gius handcuffs all of his offensive and defensive coaches.

Wow. Didn't know Gus was in to that sort of stuff. Didn't know our other coaches were either. What next, ball gags and deprivation hoods? ;) 

On 12/20/2019 at 7:07 PM, sevenlee36 said:

If you have a problem with this "argument" you should probably talk to E. He has said a number of times on multiple websites that Gus has the say on the OL we recruit. 

For the record I think Grimes is a terrible recruiter but above average in coaching. However we cannot expect to contend continually signing a couple 3* high school OL and/or 3 or 4 JUCOs per class.

But E has said Gus has the final say on OL recruiting multiple times across multiple websites (this one included.) Talk to him if you have issue with people referencing this issue.

Archived