Be happy we're still winning!

tgrogan21

I originally believed the MWC had some teams that looked closer to SDSU than they currently do. They've struggled but they still come out of all these 10+ pts ahead. Theres a couple very challenging road matchups coming up for them tho 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

San Diego looking pretty good with a mostly favorable schedule....they may go the distance...meanwhile I just hope we are 16-0 come Thursday morning. 

15 hours ago, tgrogan21 said:

Crazy, crazy year already.

Yep and AU will undoubtably be in that stat this year as well. Just please, please don’t let it be to uat tonight or, even worse, at home. 

Knew it had to end sometime...but this past week or so was really tough on the top ten teams...Aside from Duke there is Butler,  Kansas, Mich State, AU and Kentucky, Oregon went down last night...and maybe somebody I don't remember.

Gonzaga seems to have a free ride as #1 the rest of the season.  No clearly dominant teams and most of the top teams lost to unranked teams which is even more interesting.

Looks like nobody is as good as they were last year...:dunno:

• 3 weeks later...

Wasn't sure where to put this next bit of information, but this thread seemed like a good spot since we are still winning most of our games. 

Our current win total of 19 is good for 12th ALL TIME in program history. AU has only won 20 games 11 times ever, and has only won 25 or more 3 times (2 of those belong to CBP). This group has a long way to go, but the ceiling of our program has been dramatically raised. 

We are also a lock for the NCAA for the third season in a row, this is only the second time in our history we have gone to the NCAA three straight years.

But never in our history have we pilled up Wins like this. The previous best total for wins in a three year span was 71 (Cliff Ellis from 98-01, including a 29 wins season), CBP is already at 75 wins with the last two season plus this season with 10 regular season games remaining!!! Do we even realize how good we have it right now? 

The sobering thing about that is, both of those seasons included playing significant time and games without key players. Could those years have been better with complete full healthy rosters? What can this team, and the next do if we can keep a full roster of the best talent we have had on the plains, maybe ever (as a team).

Let's all take a moment are realize that we have already had one of the best seasons in our history and we have 10 regular season games remaining. Enjoy the ride. 

19 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

Wasn't sure where to put this next bit of information, but this thread seemed like a good spot since we are still winning most of our games. 

Our current win total of 19 is good for 12th ALL TIME in program history. AU has only won 20 games 11 times ever, and has only won 25 or more 3 times (2 of those belong to CBP). This group has a long way to go, but the ceiling of our program has been dramatically raised. 

We are also a lock for the NCAA for the third season in a row, this is only the second time in our history we have gone to the NCAA three straight years.

But never in our history have we pilled up Wins like this. The previous best total for wins in a three year span was 71 (Cliff Ellis from 98-01, including a 29 wins season), CBP is already at 75 wins with the last two season plus this season with 10 regular season games remaining!!! Do we even realize how good we have it right now? 

The sobering thing about that is, both of those seasons included playing significant time and games without key players. Could those years have been better with complete full healthy rosters? What can this team, and the next do if we can keep a full roster of the best talent we have had on the plains, maybe ever (as a team).

Let's all take a moment are realize that we have already had one of the best seasons in our history and we have 10 regular season games remaining. Enjoy the ride. 

Great post, and thank-you.

This run is epic.    I hate to be so selfish, but as I look ahead, I wonder if we have the players who can step up next season and carry the torch.  Will we rely on another phenom freshman like Okoro (J Green?) ?

1 hour ago, Beaker said:

Great post, and thank-you.

This run is epic.    I hate to be so selfish, but as I look ahead, I wonder if we have the players who can step up next season and carry the torch.  Will we rely on another phenom freshman like Okoro (J Green?) ?

I think you will see a lot of guys on this team step up into rolls next season. Stretch can play, Cambridge/Flanigan will be a nice combo that gets a lot of playing time and we have some kids who look the part coming in. Johnson will be back as an option as a shooter and Williams as a nice option at 4. The big question mark, and I don't think we know enough to really get into it now, is do we get another year with Okoro. I think he is a great player, but his ball handling and shot still need work. He may not end up with a high enough grade to go after this season. Who knows. 

18 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

He may not end up with a high enough grade to go after this season.

If y'all need for some know-nothing clown to root for Okoro to suck the rest of the way and get himself a low draft grade, holla at ya boy. I'll do the dirty work. Y'all don't need that stink on you. 

I don't think we'll see Okoro next year. That's not a lock, but I don't think so.

It'll be fun to see next year's crew learn to play with each other. I mean, like @JwgreDeux pointed out, we already know what we're getting from Johnson, Flanigan, and Cambridge at a bare minimum. I expect all three guys to take a step forward because, generally, players have really developed year-on-year with Pearl.

I think it's a mortal lock that Cooper is starting at PG. Then, you'll likely have Johnson, Turbo, or Powell at the 2. My bet is on Johnson. That projection changes if Green signs. Then, I'd say Flanigan and Cambridge are likely to take the swing spot. Williams, Franklin, Stretch, and Moore plus another signee look like the bigs. Personally, I expect us to go back to something closer to the 2018/19 style of play. We'll have more shooting on the floor with less size. Regardless, it'll be fun to watch them gel.

IMO if you even have an inkling of hope Okoro stays you're just setting yourself up for disappointment. Let's just enjoy this season with him. It becomes a more rewarding experience watching him grow game by game understanding the most likely scenario. 

You don't need to show that you're polished in things like outside shooting and ball handling ability. The NBA franchise you're drafted to will clean that up for you while developing the rest of your game as well.

18 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

I don't think we'll see Okoro next year. That's not a lock, but I don't think so.

It'll be fun to see next year's crew learn to play with each other. I mean, like @JwgreDeux pointed out, we already know what we're getting from Johnson, Flanigan, and Cambridge at a bare minimum. I expect all three guys to take a step forward because, generally, players have really developed year-on-year with Pearl.

I think it's a mortal lock that Cooper is starting at PG. Then, you'll likely have Johnson, Turbo, or Powell at the 2. My bet is on Johnson. That projection changes if Green signs. Then, I'd say Flanigan and Cambridge are likely to take the swing spot. Williams, Franklin, Stretch, and Moore plus another signee look like the bigs. Personally, I expect us to go back to something closer to the 2018/19 style of play. We'll have more shooting on the floor with less size. Regardless, it'll be fun to watch them gel.

17 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Guy's a lottery pick in every recent projection I seen lol

I'm not saying he won't go, just that it isn't a lock yet. He isn't a lottery pick in every projection, and mock drafts at this point change a lot going forward. I've seen him as high as 6th and as low as 22nd in recent mock drafts. Let's be clear, he is likely gone, but not a lock at this point. 

A little food for thought. The 4 year deal for the 7th pick last year was 24 million, and the four year total for the 20th pick was 12 million. Depending on a lot of variable with draft class strength, projections, etc...coming back for one year could net him 10+ million if he ends up a later first round grade with a chance to move up to a lottery pick. Again, I'm not saying he is staying, but a lot more goes into it than just if he's a first round grade he's gone. 

And I'm certainly not hoping he isn't graded highly. I hope he get's a high grade and has a great career and cashes in at the highest level possible.

28 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

I'm not saying he won't go, just that it isn't a lock yet. He isn't a lottery pick in every projection, and mock drafts at this point change a lot going forward. I've seen him as high as 6th and as low as 22nd in recent mock drafts. Let's be clear, he is likely gone, but not a lock at this point. 

A little food for thought. The 4 year deal for the 7th pick last year was 24 million, and the four year total for the 20th pick was 12 million. Depending on a lot of variable with draft class strength, projections, etc...coming back for one year could net him 10+ million if he ends up a later first round grade with a chance to move up to a lottery pick. Again, I'm not saying he is staying, but a lot more goes into it than just if he's a first round grade he's gone. 

And I'm certainly not hoping he isn't graded highly. I hope he get's a high grade and has a great career and cashes in at the highest level possible.

He is an interesting case for sure. And i don't follow NBA and its draft closely enough to draw comparisons to Okoro. The NBA is valuing defense more and more it seems like these days but do they value it enough to take Okoro mid to high first rounder? Okoro does not have the length of a Kwahi for example where he can be expected to guard 2-4 in the NBA. Okoro will be a for sure wing defender all the way through and his ability to guard down low will be significantly reduced at the NBA level. And his main scoring threat is bullying his way to the basket and it will be questioned if he can be as successful with that style in the NBA as well. 

I don't think there is a freshmen in the country i would take over Okoro on this team but he does have areas in his game that would make me question how easily he will jump to the next level. Course there is still plenty of time this season for him to take away all doubts or to enhance the ones that exist. So i look forward to watching this amazing talent we have evolve over the rest of the season. 

3 hours ago, JwgreDeux said:

I'm not saying he won't go, just that it isn't a lock yet.

People connected to the program feels it's damn near close & that's the best sources we have right now.

16 minutes ago, ellitor said:

People connected to the program feels it's damn near close & that's the best sources we have right now.

I have no sources, so I'll take your word for it. 

22 hours ago, McLoofus said:

If y'all need for some know-nothing clown to root for Okoro to suck the rest of the way and get himself a low draft grade, holla at ya boy. I'll do the dirty work. Y'all don't need that stink on you. 

You’re my huckleberry 

4 hours ago, JwgreDeux said:

he 4 year deal for the 7th pick last year was 24 million, and the four year total for the 20th pick was 12 million. Depending on a lot of variable with draft class strength, projections, etc...coming back for one year could net him 10+ million if he ends up a later first round grade with a chance to move up to a lottery pick. Again, I'm not saying he is staying, but a lot more goes into it than just if he's a first round grade he's gone. 

I'd hope he wouldnt leave just for anything first round either, but with how immensely talented next year's draft is...if you can get 11 here, you take it. 11 this season for someone who's skillset is already as defined as Okoro's will be like 17 in 2021.

Archived