Malzahn vs Morris

bigbird

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, bigbird said:

Good stuff. I suppose the gorilla in the room is does Gus allow Chad to help him modernize the offense? A dude can hope. 

1 hour ago, aubearcat said:

Good stuff. I suppose the gorilla in the room is does Gus allow Chad to help him modernize the offense? A dude can hope. 

Worst case scenario he doesn’t. He’s still an excellent QB coach and objectively an upgrade overall from Dillingham (who I like but let’s be real look at Chad’s results at Clemson).

I’ve seen some crying about his recruiting at Arkansas. That’s like comparing apples and oranges. It’s easier to recruit here and he’s much more respected as an OC than as a HC.

This is literally the best possible hire we could make. Some wanted Luke which would have been awesome for the OL but he DEFINITELY would have had zero impact on the playbook or play calling.

I’d rather have Morris than Sarkisian or Lane Kiffin quite frankly. I HOPE he has a major impact but even if he’s relegated to QB coach and managing the offense through Gus’ play calling I think it’s a win. All of his position coaches will benefit from his knowledge and leadership.

50 minutes ago, Zeek said:

he’s much more respected as an OC than as a HC.

This right here is one reason I’m hopeful that he will have a lot of control in the offense. Dude is highly respected as an OC and could've gone anywhere and had full autonomy. Why would he come here knowing he'd get handcuffed?

The Xs and Os are very similar. He may convince Gus to call more plays within the offense that are outside of Gus's comfort zone if you know what I mean. Still, the biggest contributions by Morris IMO will be:

1) QB development
2) QB recruiting
3) maybe open some doors for cherry picking Texas recruits

9 hours ago, bigbird said:

This is going to be simple. Gus has to take on the same role as Ensminger did with Brady at LSU to make this work. Both calling plays in tandem is not going to work. Chad isn't going to be the type of guy to sit back and let Gus override him time after time with bad calls like Gus has done with the past two OC's.

3 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

This is going to be simple. Gus has to take on the same role as Ensminger did with Brady at LSU to make this work. Both calling plays in tandem is not going to work. Chad isn't going to be the type of guy to sit back and let Gus override him time after time with bad calls like Gus has done with the past two OC's.

Makes me happy that Chad won’t sit back. Good leaders don’t surround themselves with “yes” men. 

5 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Just to clarify...Ensminger IS calling plays at LSU? Correct? I ask bc I heard a comment on the radio where they were discussing awards that Brady was up for without ever calling a play. 

8 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Gus isn’t giving up playcalling and the LSU coaches did call plays In tandem but Ensminger called more than Brady did

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

Worst case scenario he doesn’t. He’s still an excellent QB coach and objectively an upgrade overall from Dillingham (who I like but let’s be real look at Chad’s results at Clemson).

I’ve seen some crying about his recruiting at Arkansas. That’s like comparing apples and oranges. It’s easier to recruit here and he’s much more respected as an OC than as a HC.

This is literally the best possible hire we could make. Some wanted Luke which would have been awesome for the OL but he DEFINITELY would have had zero impact on the playbook or play calling.

I’d rather have Morris than Sarkisian or Lane Kiffin quite frankly. I HOPE he has a major impact but even if he’s relegated to QB coach and managing the offense through Gus’ play calling I think it’s a win. All of his position coaches will benefit from his knowledge and leadership.

I’m all for the hire. My hope is that Gus will trust him enough to incorporate some of his concepts to the offense. I’m encouraged by the hire and I believe it will really help bo reach his potential. 

They both should, and probably did, understand from the start of discussions that Gus will be calling the plays. There are a lot of things that Morris can contribute without calling plays. If Morris fits himself in and fills the niche this will be a great hire.

44 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

There's going to be a problem then. I don't see Gus giving up PC duties again.

38 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

Just to clarify...Ensminger IS calling plays at LSU? Correct? I ask bc I heard a comment on the radio where they were discussing awards that Brady was up for without ever calling a play. 

I don't believe Ensminger is calling plays.

31 minutes ago, ellitor said:

There's going to be a problem then. I don't see Gus giving up PC duties again.

I don't see one of the most reputable offensive coordinators in the country coming here to not call plays. It's not like we know Gus better than CCM.

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

One of the SiriusXM hosts said recently that he’s calling about 90% of their plays. I think it was Neuheisel. 

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

So  he's lying .....but what kind of guy takes credit for the work of other people?    :dunno:

18 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Gus should call the plays for the first drive and the last half of the 4th quarter...all others should be Chad.  You think I’m joking?

Now THAT is actually a solid game plan! Take it away from Gus right as he gets rigid and shells up. Give him time to calm down and sweep in for the final kill to end the game. I like it!

12 hours ago, aubearcat said:

Watch out...I got accused of taking a cheap shot at Coach Malzahn when I posted something similar to this yesterday.

1 hour ago, AUDevil said:

Gus should call the plays for the first drive and the last half of the 4th quarter...all others should be Chad.  You think I’m joking?

This.  Gus does great with his *scripted plays and struggles with how the game flows after that.  Case in point is the Fla game where Mullen got Gus off his game with the delayed defensive substitutions.

One reason the Ensminger/Brady situation worked is that they were side by side in the booth and could discuss the play call while not worrying about being over ruled.  Coach O had it working pretty good this year.

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Let Gus call 25% of the plays. He can call every 4th down play.

Post of the week.

Archived