Malzahn vs Morris

bigbird

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

This.  Gus does great with his *scripted plays and struggles with how the game flows after that.  Case in point is the Fla game where Mullen got Gus off his game with the delayed defensive substitutions.

One reason the Ensminger/Brady situation worked is that they were side by side in the booth and could discuss the play call while not worrying about being over ruled.  Coach O had it working pretty good this year.

LSU had a good offensive year no doubt. So there is some questions to as did the system make Joe Burrow good or did Joe Burrow make the system good. Be interesting to see how LSU does next year.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, bigbird said:

I’ll m not an X’s And O’s person, but they seem to be somewhat similar. 

It’s been stated that teams have caught up with Gus’s system, how have they not caught up with Chad’s? 

1 hour ago, Sully to Beasley said:

Watch out...I got accused of taking a cheap shot at Coach Malzahn when I posted something similar to this yesterday.

Let's just say anybody who thinks Malzahn is not open to any change and does not frequently tweak his O  (e.g. to fit his current players apparent ABILITIES ON GAME DAY - i.e. it may take until mid Sept) didn't pay attention during many seasons, most notably 2010 & 2013. 

9 minutes ago, rophle said:

I’ll m not an X’s And O’s person, but they seem to be somewhat similar. 

It’s been stated that teams have caught up with Gus’s system, how have they not caught up with Chad’s? 

I think they've caught on to Gus's tendencies more than they have the system

5 hours ago, AidiAU said:

Makes me happy that Chad won’t sit back. Good leaders don’t surround themselves with “yes” men. 

You enjoy Maxwell as much as I do? 🦋

21 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

LSU had a good offensive year no doubt. So there is some questions to as did the system make Joe Burrow good or did Joe Burrow make the system good. Be interesting to see how LSU does next year.

Yes, that's been a popular conversation and I have no idea why. I can't fathom why folks constantly make up these this-or-that conversations. It's both. It's almost always both. 

Burrow is clearly a very talented football player. Burrow is also clearly much more effective this year than he was last year. It's ironic that Ensminger is involved because he watched the same thing happen with Borges and Campbell in 2004. It's both. 

52 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

The situation parallels our 2010 season and the question is yet to be answered on the plains.  You’re correct, next year will be interesting.  I believe, with the hiring of CCM, Auburn could be in for an exceptional season as the SEC defenses will have to adjust if CCM allowed to bring in what he is capable of.

Like our 2011 season, LSU’s season will depend on Burrow’s replacement. 

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Let Gus call 25% of the plays. He can call every 4th down play.

If that's the case, we will never score. If 25% of the calls are fourth down calls....

He's gonna have 3 big things to do at AU.

1. develop QBs.

2. teach... or trick Gus into utilizing a more diverse route tree.

3. Convince Gus to have maybe 4-6 plays based on personnel to run after a hurry-up... besides a dive.

If those three things happen.... :) :) :) :) 

6 hours ago, ellitor said:

There's going to be a problem then. I don't see Gus giving up PC duties again.

Why not?  It'll be an even year and Gus is CEO in even years.

Heard Chiz on Sirius today talking about the SEC coaching changes.   When asked about Auburn and Morris, he referred to a recent conversation he had with Gus wherein Gus said the nobody else would ever call the plays while he is HC.   

Guess that should answer the question and should wrap up this conversation. 

9 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Heard Chiz on Sirius today talking about the SEC coaching changes.   When asked about Auburn and Morris, he referred to a recent conversation he had with Gus wherein Gus said the nobody else would ever call the plays while he is HC.   

Do they record those? And if so where can I find them? I have a serious lack of Auburn radio shows living in NE Tenn. Have to rely on amateur shows on YT 😕

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Yes, that's been a popular conversation and I have no idea why. I can't fathom why folks constantly make up these this-or-that conversations. It's both. It's almost always both. 

Burrow is clearly a very talented football player. Burrow is also clearly much more effective this year than he was last year. It's ironic that Ensminger is involved because he watched the same thing happen with Borges and Campbell in 2004. It's both. 

Thank you!!! People were laughing at Joe Burrow last year from these same very threads. Now they view him as once of a lifetime QB.

19 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Yes , this was probably way before the opportunity or thought that Chad would fall in our laps. Things change and Chiz should keep private conversations out of the radio. 

Are you guys really believing that Morris will come here to be a puppet? We need to start screening members on here man

48 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Are you guys really believing that Morris will come here to be a puppet? We need to start screening members on here man

I think Gus said he'd step back and let CCM run the show and meant it.  The question is whether he can force himself to really let it go.  I think calling the games is Gus' favorite part of coaching.

9 hours ago, AidiAU said:

Makes me happy that Chad won’t sit back. Good leaders don’t surround themselves with “yes” men. 

Actually before he would come in it hadto be agreed at least co play callers. Just can’t believe Chad agreed otherwise. He was going to make plenty of money not coaching.

22 minutes ago, AURealist said:

I think Gus said he'd step back and let CCM run the show and meant it.  The question is whether he can force himself to really let it go.  I think calling the games is Gus' favorite part of coaching.

I feel you. Like I stated earlier I'm hoping we actually start using our wr's right. And hopefully get rid of the wildcat

2 hours ago, Mims44 said:

He's gonna have 3 big things to do at AU.

1. develop QBs.

2. teach... or trick Gus into utilizing a more diverse route tree.

3. Convince Gus to have maybe 4-6 plays based on personnel to run after a hurry-up... besides a dive.

If those three things happen.... :) :) :) :) 

If he can just accomplish 1 and 2..... wow. 

1 hour ago, Mims44 said:

Do they record those? And if so where can I find them? I have a serious lack of Auburn radio shows living in NE Tenn. Have to rely on amateur shows on YT 😕

I doubt it...this was on the Sirius XM ESPS sport talk mid morning today...."Full Ride" with Neuhiesel or whoever on....and Chiz was on for about 15 minutes....discussed the coaching changes and bowl games...general stuff about college sports...and usually pretty objective other than the campaign by some hosts for an 8 game playoff.   

39 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Likely that is true which is why he is not gonna give that up...….which is supported by everything I have heard and read.   JMO but plenty for CM to do and he can be a big factor in juicing up the offense. 

Archived