Malzahn vs Morris

bigbird

26 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I feel you. Like I stated earlier I'm hoping we actually start using our wr's right. And hopefully get rid of the wildcat

If Chad can't get Bo to step up into the pocket and plant his feet to throw, the WRs are mostly running for exercise, even with the best routes.  Well, except for the one on the roll out side of the field.  Bo is staring his ass down.  Fix the QB and immediately get more options.  Then fix the routes.  Then we'll be better off than we've been for years.  Oh...  and give the TE more than 3 throws per season.   

That's my list. 

Get to work, Chad!     

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DAG said:

Yes , this was probably way before the opportunity or thought that Chad would fall in our laps. Things change and Chiz should keep private conversations out of the radio. 

What makes you think it was a private conversation?  And this was after AU was looking for a new OC.....and no reason to think GM will change his mind.   Just saying that if folks want to believe differently go ahead.....but First find something from Gus or CM saying differently. 

JMO but Gus has been open about the play calling since the Lindsey experiment did not work out.   

10 minutes ago, AU64 said:

What makes you think it was a private conversation?  And this was after AU was looking for a new OC.....and no reason to think GM will change his mind.   Just saying that if folks want to believe differently go ahead.....but First find something from Gus or CM saying differently. 

JMO but Gus has been open about the play calling since the Lindsey experiment did not work out.   

Well if Gus would’ve said that out loud then it would’ve been quoted by somewhere else , no? 

why should we have to do that to formulate opinion. You say things all the time without concrete evidence. 

8 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

This.  Gus does great with his *scripted plays and struggles with how the game flows after that.  Case in point is the Fla game where Mullen got Gus off his game with the delayed defensive substitutions.

One reason the Ensminger/Brady situation worked is that they were side by side in the booth and could discuss the play call while not worrying about being over ruled.  Coach O had it working pretty good this year.

But this two party dynamic can work with via headset with Morris in the pressbox and Gus on the sideline.

12 hours ago, bigbird said:

Let Gus call 25% of the plays. He can call every 4th down play.

Agreed. We sure don’t want Chad calling that down. 

FAA97571-BAC8-4FE3-BA6A-F77F8B609BFD.gif

13 hours ago, AU64 said:

He was open about handing it over to Lashlee in 2016, too.

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

He was open about handing it over to Lashlee in 2016, too.

Even year = Gus CEO

Odd year = Gus OC

13 hours ago, meh130 said:

But this two party dynamic can work with via headset with Morris in the pressbox and Gus on the sideline.

Absolutely it can and does with 99% of football teams, it’s just LSU had it going on with the two in the booth without the distractions that are present on the sidelines.  Coach O handled the sideline part without effecting the play calling dynamic.  Gus and Rhett were both on the sidelines IIRC and it worked fine.  The dynamics between Gus and Chad will determine the effectiveness of the offensive play calling, which most people are speculating about.

18 hours ago, DAG said:

Well if Gus would’ve said that out loud then it would’ve been quoted by somewhere else , no? 

why should we have to do that to formulate opinion. You say things all the time without concrete evidence. 

I didn't see this yesterday. I wish I had because I would've called out that you wouldn't get a reply back to your question

Warning: the following is not downing the hire of Chad Morris. I think it was the absolute best hire we could have made. Without question. I am very happy to see we have a legitimate and proven guy coaching our QBs now. He's a great recruiter and has been a major part of big programs. Great job on Gus to hire CCM IMO.

But...

I'm fairly certain this past summer Gus said he found coaching "boring" when he wasn't calling plays and that he's a play caller first and foremost. I'm pretty sure it was on the Marty and McGee show on SECN when they have their interviews with the HCs.

I don't think Chad Morris is coming to AU to be a puppet. But I do think by December next season he may be ready to move on -- big job opportunity or not. Rhett has been liking tweets that are low key shots at Gus since he left, Chip left for Kansas for the OC position, and Dilly left after just 365 days to not be a playcaller for FSU. Whether or not it's about the actual playcalling I'm not 100% sure but something is driving these dudes out and the term "broken promises" has been floated out there by insiders each time someone leaves. Whether it be Dameyune Craig or an ex OC. Cadillac wants to rotate backs more -- yet we don't really do that. How long until he gets fed up with being ignored like Craig?

I don't doubt Gus told Chad that he'd have whatever say he wanted in the O but when that ball is kicked off the tee I'll have to see it to believe it on whether or not Chad is actually implementing anything new and we stick with it for more than a few snaps here or there.

They say that going into business with your friends is a bad idea and I definitely think there is some room for Gus to "look down" on Chad when it comes to offensive strategy. Chad was the one who contacted Gus to update his own O back in his HS days so Gus will think he has an upper hand there and Gus kicked Chad's ass twice at Arky etc. Let's not pretend that Gus doesn't have some massive ego that could lead to something funky between the 2 of them this season.

Tiger.. haven't you noticed that all big time college HCs have massive egos... Why would Gus be different ?  They are in the top 1 percent of their field.

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

Warning: the following is not downing the hire of Chad Morris. I think it was the absolute best hire we could have made. Without question. I am very happy to see we have a legitimate and proven guy coaching our QBs now. He's a great recruiter and has been a major part of big programs. Great job on Gus to hire CCM IMO.

But...

I'm fairly certain this past summer Gus said he found coaching "boring" when he wasn't calling plays and that he's a play caller first and foremost. I'm pretty sure it was on the Marty and McGee show on SECN when they have their interviews with the HCs.

I don't think Chad Morris is coming to AU to be a puppet. But I do think by December next season he may be ready to move on -- big job opportunity or not. Rhett has been liking tweets that are low shots at Gus since he left, Chip left for Kansas for the OC position, and Dilly left after just 365 days to not be a playcaller for FSU. Whether or not it's about the actual playcalling I'm not 100% sure but something is driving these dudes out and the term "broken promises" has been floated out there by insiders each time someone leaves. Whether it be Dameyune Craig or an ex OC. Cadillac wants to rotate backs more -- yet we don't really do that. How long until he gets fed up with being ignored like Craig?

I don't doubt Gus told Chad that he'd have whatever say he wanted in the O but when that ball is kicked off the tee I'll have to see it to believe it on whether or not Chad is actually implementing anything new and we stick with it for more than a few snaps here or there.

They say that going into business with your friends is a bad idea and I definitely think there is some room for Gus to "look down" on Chad when it comes to offensive strategy. Chad was the one who contacted Gus to update his own O back in his HS days so Gus will think he has an upper hand there and Gus kicked Chad's ass twice at Arky etc. Let's not pretend that Gus doesn't have some massive ego that could lead to something funky between the 2 of them this season.

I don't believe for a second he told Chad he can do whatever he wanted as OC.  No HC should give their coordinators that much power. NS didn't give  LK that much power either. He wasn't out there game planning, but he damn sure made it known to Lane when he thought he was getting too cute with the ball.  I feel that their is an understanding between the two, from a mutual respect, in each other's abilities. At the end of the day Gus is the HC, but I think he definitely will allow CCM to have a musher bigger influence than his past OCs. I think the way Gus worked with Chip Lindsey would be perfect. Mesh ideas together. The issue was Gus listened to folks and publicly stated he would not touch the offense at all (Which was ridiculous to do and say). 

16 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Tiger.. haven't you noticed that all big time college HCs have massive egos... Why would Gus be different ?  They are in the top 1 percent of their field.

True

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

I don't believe for a second he told Chad he can do whatever he wanted as OC.  No HC should give their coordinators that much power. NS didn't give  LK that much power either. He wasn't out there game planning, but he damn sure made it known to Lane when he thought he was getting too cute with the ball.  I feel that their is an understanding between the two, from a mutual respect, in each other's abilities. At the end of the day Gus is the HC, but I think he definitely will allow CCM to have a musher bigger influence than his past OCs. I think the way Gus worked with Chip Lindsey would be perfect. Mesh ideas together. The issue was Gus listened to folks and publicly stated he would not touch the offense at all (Which was ridiculous to do and say). 

You're not wrong and I didn't mean to insinuate that he told Chad he could do whatever he wanted. But I do think it's reasonable to think he told Chad exactly what he told Chip Lindsey. And Chip left for Kansas for the same position and insiders kept saying Gus was not keeping his word in regards to how things would be for Chip and it pissed him off to the point of going to Kansas. The delay of games, the hemming and hawing of what play would be sent in, etc. I hope we don't get back to a discombobulated O that lacks real direction.

I reallllly hope you're right that Chad will have a bigger tangible influence on our offense. Because Chad took Gus' O and it turned Clemson into the monster that led to what they are today. I want to see that type of updating to Gus' O here at AU. Where it should've been happening this whole time. Honestly, if Chad could just show Gus the passing concepts he fused with the offense Gus showed him initially and Gus accepting these concepts, we could be back to scoring 30 regularly. I mean we got the guy who modernized Gus' O, and we have the creator of the offense together. This thing should work beautifully.

But we know how these things usually shake out at AU. There's always some unforeseen monkey wrench that gets thrown into the mix lol. I keep getting this nagging feeling that Gus was just looking out for one of his boys rather than looking for a way to keep this offense/program improving and evolving with the times. Something smells like Gus feels like he validated himself with the Iron Bowl win and is going to continue to double down.

That may just be the Gussimist in me though. Or gas. I don't recommend gas station burritos for lunch

I am very interested to see how Chad and Gus work together. I definitely want to see the offense innovated and improved on. 

However, my far bigger concern is Offensive player development. We all know that LSU and Florida, at least, were EASILY winnable with the called plays if you subtract a few terrible picks and 25 yard sacks from Bo. 

Gus is not the best play caller, and his scheme has a few obvious deficiencies(I really can’t fathom an argument for utilizing TEs as little as Gus does) that I am avidly rooting for Chad to fix. But at the same time, if OL plays significantly better and Bo makes better decisions, then even maintaining the status quo playcalling/scheme wise will be enough to win 10+ games and be contenders. 

Now IDEALLY, we fuse the best concepts from Chad’s offense into Gus’s, Bo improves markedly, OL plays better, and Gus goes from decent-good to great at playcalling. 

Worst case is the offense gets worse because of the discombobulation of a feuding offensive staff. Unlikely IMO, but plausible. 

50 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

That had to be one of, if not the worst, fake punts I’ve ever seen. 

That footwork though! It's absolutely perfect for a good game of hot potato!

1 hour ago, sevenlee36 said:

I hope Chad stays out of Gus’s way. Gus is a superior OC like it or not. Chad can help with recruiting and drawing up an extra play or two.

Oh, hahaha!  I get it.  Sarcasm, right?

Right?

Archived