2020 3* Buck Romello Height Flips to AU!

ellitor

28 offers including AU, Miami, Florida, & USC
Major target
Passed Webb on staff's' board after in person evals to both earlier this season
EE & Early Signee
Tight battle between AU & Miami
Highlights on Hudl are private unfortunately.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Romello Height: “Lengthy And Relentless”

By Barry Every
SouthernPigskin.com

Head Coach Roger Holmes has experienced much success in his 17 seasons at the helm of Dublin (Ga.) Football. During his tenure the Fighting Irish have captured seven Region Titles, one State Championship while making four appearances in the State Semifinals.

This past season Dublin boasted one of the most dominating defenses in all of Georgia.  The Fighting Irish allowed just 9.1 points per contest while finishing (11-2/6-0) on the season. Even more impressive was the fact that the 18 points rendered to eventual GHSA-AA State Champion Franklin (Ga.) Heard County in the quarterfinals was the most any team managed versus them in 2018.

One defender that left his mark on the gridiron for Dublin was defensive end Romello Height, who transferred in from Dexter (Ga.) West Laurens just prior to the start of the season. The 6-foot-5, 215-pound edge rusher finished the year with 53 tackles, six TFL’s and four sacks. He also added seven catches for 87 yards as a part-time receiver.

“Romello was with us through middle school but transferred out for his freshman year and came back just before the start of his junior year,” Holmes said. “He is of tremendous character and I’m not just blowing smoke; he is a yes sir, no sir team player. Romello is very coachable and does a really good job of comprehending what is taught and then executing it.”

His hard work did not go unnoticed earning Second Team All-Region on the defensive side of the ball. Height was also invited to take part in the prestigious 2018 GACA All-Star Classic where he recorded three tackles and one sack.

“He was dominating at times playing defensive end,  of course we had Steven Linton on the other end who has received most of the recruiting attention so far,” Holmes said. “Romello has adjusted and adapted well to our coaching philosophy, once he caught on he was very sound versus the run. He is simply relentless chasing the football and his first step is his biggest asset.”

At this time Height possesses scholarship offers from Arizona State, East Carolina, Kent State and Western Kentucky. He is also receiving heavy interest from Coastal Carolina, Georgia Teach, Kentucky and Louisville. One school he would love to hear from is Clemson.

“Arizona State Linebacker Coach Antonio Pierce has done a good job of keeping in touch with me,” Height said. “But the staff that has been the most aggressive in my recruitment has been Kentucky and that is definitely one school I plan on attending their football camp this spring. I have also been invited and plan to take part in the Rivals.com Three Stripe Camp in April.”

Academically Height already projects as a full  qualifier . He currently has a 3.0 GPA with a 980 on the SAT and an 18 on the ACT, both on the first take. But he is simply not satisfied with those results and plans on retaking both tests this semester. The lengthy stemwinder is also committed to the weight  room with a 285-bench, 385-squat and an impressive 275-power clean.

“There is no question about him being a legit DI prospect; he already has four or five offers and is a full qualifier,” Holmes said. “He has the body to play at around 250 to 255-pounds and be that ideal edge guy. He will be a major recruit in my opinion.”

Despite having all the intangibles that college coaches covet in a defensive end Height realizes he has work to do to reach his goal of playing at the highest level.

“My biggest asset is my quickness especially may hands, it’s really hard for offensive lineman to get the advantage,” Height said. “I have to continue to embrace the weights and work on adding more pass rushing moves. Both of these things will not only help  us win games but increase my visibility to college coaches.”

Going into his senior season Height realizes that he needs to become a more active leader on and off the field for the Fighting Irish. He has set lofty goals for himself and he will have to accomplish them without bookend mate Steven Linton. In order for Dublin to repeat as Region 3-AA Champions and compete for a State Championship he needs to take the leadership reigns. The season ending loss to Heard County left a bitter taste in his mouth that is hard to washout.

“We lost that game because they were simply more physical and we had a lot of injuries,” Height said. “We have to work harder in the weight room and play as a team. This is accomplished by working with each other and not arguing. I have to push people more and when arguing starts end it. Arguing will not lead us to our goal of getting that ring.”

Long rangy defensive ends don’t grow on trees, especially those with their academics in order. College coaches unfamiliar with Dublin only need to follow I-16 southeast  from Macon. There they will find a raw, but potential defensive difference maker.

JLee & Keith have hinted at more clarity at the Buck position with a visitor coming this weekend. I thought it was Height but I guess not.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

JLee & Keith have hinted at more clarity at the Buck position with a visitor coming this weekend. I thought it was Height but I guess not.

Thoughts on who?

6 minutes ago, ellitor said:

It’s be really poetic justice to flip Q. Robinson back from bama. Probably wishful thinking on my end.

• Like 1

This one ( Buck Position ) is driving me insane. I have been waiting to see who this hidden recruit is. Are there any names out there other than Height that you know about? 

It actually makes me wonder if it isn't a player who is committed somewhere else since everything is being done on the hush hush it seems. 

Just now, Tigerpro2a said:

This one ( Buck Position ) is driving me insane. I have been waiting to see who this hidden recruit is. Are there any names out there other than Height that you know about? 

It actually makes me wonder if it isn't a player who is committed somewhere else since everything is being done on the hush hush it seems. 

It may be a juco or grad transfer.

Just now, ellitor said:

It may be a juco or grad transfer.

I wouldn't be opposed. Especially a good Juco with a couple years left....I do not know any names out there. I need to look at the juco recruits. 

I am hopeful that Derick Hall makes the strides needed to be our #1 guy this coming season. I like the motor on him and what I saw in his action this year.

Did Wooden ever get any PT? I don't recall seeing him if he did.

7 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I wouldn't be opposed. Especially a good Juco with a couple years left....I do not know any names out there. I need to look at the juco recruits. 

Well Deandre Butler is 1 but he's signing in February & AU doesn't plan to have him OV til January so it's not him.

9 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Did Wooden ever get any PT?

Yes but at SDE & not Buck though.

• Thanks 1

• ellitor changed the title to 2020 3* Buck Romello Height Flips to AU!
  • ellitor pinned and featured this topic
6 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

This one was huge.  My props to Rodney, I think this kid had like 16 sacks this season.

Yup. Huge season & graded out higher for the staff than Webb specifically for the Buck position.

• Like 2

If he can add on some weight, he could possibly play early. Also allows Riley to stay as an OLB, which is probably a good thing now seeing he’s good in coverage too

9 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Good frame on this kid . He needs to eat 6 buffalos a day so he can get to 260. 

Being a Buck he doesn't have to be that big. He could do well at 250.

• Like 1

I will add that this was a huge pick up. Per Jason Caldwell Colby Wooden is already up to 275 & will likely be a SDE & DT if he continues his growth rate, after having mono for a time this season, could move inside. I believe Height joins Moultry & Derrick Hall as the only pass rushing bucks on roster.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ellitor said:

Colby Wooden is already up to 275

Whoa

5 hours ago, ellitor said:

I believe Height joins Moultry & Derrick Hall as the only pass rushing bucks on roster.

Is Big Kat considered a SDE?

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Whoa

Is Big Kat considered a SDE?

According to the roster officially yes. I will leave it to others though to say how much he played as a Buck versus an SDE though. At 250 pounds though I’m guessing he is more of a Buck.

• Like 1

Bryant played both last year. He was a Buck only the year before. He’s kind of a swing player. Same deal with Stone Handy (DT/SDE). Heck DB was a swing guy earlier in his career. We played him on the edge regularly. 

A lot of G’s guys train multiple positions. I expect Walker and Hardy to do the same. 

• Like 1