Brown mulling Outback Bowl decision

aubiefifty

Auburn’s Derrick Brown mulling Outback Bowl decision

Posted Dec 11, 5:20 PM

Auburn defensive tackle Derrick Brown, a future first-round NFL Draft pick, has not yet decided if he will play in the Tigers’ bowl game on New Year’s Day against Minnesota.

Brown, the AP and coaches SEC Defensive Player of the Year, said he is weighing his options and told Auburn’s coaching staff that he will have a final decision this week as to whether he will play in the Outback Bowl on Jan. 1 or sit out the game -- as has become a trend among top NFL prospects in recent years.

“I haven’t decided to or not yet,” Brown said Wednesday in Atlanta on the eve of the College Football Awards show, where he is up for the Outland Trophy and Bednarik Award. “Just kind of discussing it with my coaches and my family, seeing what they think is best for me, and making my decision based off that.”

Brown is widely projected to be a first-round draft pick in the spring, with many NFL Draft analysts listing him as a top-10 prospect in this class. The 6-foot-5, 320-pounder is considered to be the top defensive tackle available in the draft and the No. 2 defensive lineman overall, behind Ohio State edge-rusher Chase Young.

While playing in the bowl game would bring about risk of a potential injury ahead of the Senior Bowl, NFL Combine, pro day and, ultimately, the draft itself, Brown said that’s not something he is particularly concerned about when weighing his decision.

“I mean, just finishing the season with my team (is a pro),” Brown said. “A lot of people worry about injury, but at the end of the day if that was the case, you wouldn’t play in the season. I mean, sometimes I think it’s overthought about, looked at, frowned upon, but at the end of the day I respect everybody’s decision.”

Brown isn’t the only Auburn player who will have to make a decision ahead of the Outback Bowl, as other potential draft prospects could consider sitting out the bowl game, including fellow senior defensive lineman Marlon Davidson and starting left tackle Prince Tega Wanogho. Brown said it’s a subject that some of the seniors have broached with each other but noted that everyone has to make their own decision about whether to play in one final game in an Auburn uniform.

None of them will have as much at stake with their respective decisions as Brown, who was viewed to be a potential Day 1 prospect after his junior year but instead opted to return to the Plains for his senior season and finish up his degree. That decision ultimately paid off, as Brown totaled 50 tackles, including 12.5 for a loss and four sacks this season while adding four pass breakups, two forced fumbles and a pair of fumble recoveries, as well as 38 total quarterback pressures, according to Pro Football Focus analysis.

A decision is imminent one way or the other for Brown, who will graduate from Auburn on Saturday before the team reconvenes for bowl practices.

“I’ve really had a tough decision with this right now," Brown said. "It’s just kind of one of those things I have to really think about. I’m a leader on my team, so that’s how I think about it. I’ve been through a lot with my teammates; it’s just kind of one of those things you’ve got to really take into consideration. Like I said earlier, if it’s something you’re going to do, just do it. If it’s something you’re not going to do, don’t do it. No need to talk about it.”

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

5 has been a role model on and off the field and gave AU an all american season when he could have easily went pro after last season. I would hate to see him injured in an exhibition game no one will remember in 3 years time. Hopefully everyone supports him in whatever choice he makes.

Derrick doesn’t need to play, he’s given everything to this university, including coming back for his senior season when he didn’t have to. 

I hope he wants to play and enjoys one more game with his team mates. That's what I'd like to see from all of our potential NFL players.

Just now, Mikey said:

I hope he wants to play and enjoys one more game with his team mates. That's what I'd like to see from all of our potential NFL players.

Well color me shocked 

As has been said above, he played in 12 extra games for us than he had to. He can take this one off and preserve his health to ensure he makes the most money he possibly can.

With the way he has been mistreated by officials all season long it's an unnecessary risk. It's not about quitting on the team he balled his ass off for us this year and he's thiiiiiiis close to realizing his dream. Why risk a career threatening injury right now when there's no ring to play for? I'd rather let the guys playing next year get a head start on their development

43 minutes ago, Mikey said:

This is a better way of expressing it. Kudos. 

It can be said about any player at any time but it's not just the bowl game that has risks. Things can happen in practice too. At this point I just hope he's comfortable with whatever decision he makes and his teammates and the fans should understand and support him. After all this is life changing money we're talking about and he's paid Auburn back for his scholarship already. 

14 minutes ago, gr82be said:

It can be said about any player at any time but it's not just the bowl game that has risks. Things can happen in practice too. At this point I just hope he's comfortable with whatever decision he makes and his teammates and the fans should understand and support him. After all this is life changing money we're talking about and he's paid Auburn back for his scholarship already. 

His teammates, coaches, trainers, tutors, fellow students, family, and anyone else with whom he actually has a relationship or whom his decision will directly affect will support him. Fans would do well to take note and follow suit instead of projecting their own issues onto anyone involved. Almost all already have or will. These threads- and your post- bear that out. 

Until recently I was of the opinion that players should play in a bowl game before going pro.  Tua’s injury changed my outlook.  I now think  that when a player is looking at getting life changing money from the NFL he should sit and not risk injury in a bowl game. 

Yeah, I think he should sit. Gives his replacement some much needed experience.

Perhaps the most overlooked aspect of the IB win was that one of the starters was a non-senior.

It's better for the program for him to keep his health and be a star DT in the NFL and get all the publicity for being a top 10 draft pick than for him to play in 1 game vs Minnesota for those wanting the best for the football team rather than the young man himself

Sit this one out. Dress out with your teammates and be a leader/coach in the locker-room and on the sideline and let the younger ones get experience.. DB has done more than enough for Auburn. 

If I agree to give my blessing for him to sit out the Outback, will he agree to give me .05% of what he makes in the NFL next year? 

Hey...these things gotta go both ways Derrick!  

47 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

All players should play every game.  It's their job to entertain me.

giphy.gif

40 minutes ago, countoff said:

If I agree to give my blessing for him to sit out the Outback, will he agree to give me .05% of what he makes in the NFL next year? 

Hey...these things gotta go both ways Derrick!  

Image result for dicaprio raise glass

3 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

Derrick doesn’t need to play, he’s given everything to this university, including coming back for his senior season when he didn’t have to. 

I have been saying this. I don't want him to play....as much as I love watching him

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

His teammates, coaches, trainers, tutors, fellow students, family, and anyone else with whom he actually has a relationship or whom his decision will directly affect will support him. Fans would do well to take note and follow suit instead of projecting their own issues onto anyone involved. Almost all already have or will. These threads- and your post- bear that out. 

That's an admirable philosophy but if you notice …..all day long, every day, people on this site "project their own issues" into their posts....firing coaches. more playing time for this guy or that,  play calling preferences, recruiting decisions......etc. etc.      So why not here? 

I'm on board with the view....".hope he decides to play for his team....and himself."    

Meanwhile....congrats to him for getting his diploma tomorrow....which was another significant benefit of coming back to AU for this season. 

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

That's an admirable philosophy but if you notice …..all day long, every day, people on this site "project their own issues" into their posts....firing coaches. more playing time for this guy or that,  play calling preferences, recruiting decisions......etc. etc.      So why not here? 

Notice the difference between your examples and judging a human being on a personal level for their decisions. It's very similar to the difference between criticizing a coach for his football decisions and criticizing fellow fans for their personal decisions. 

I'm on board with the view....".hope he decides to play for his team....and himself."    

So we all assumed.

Meanwhile....congrats to him for getting his diploma tomorrow....which was another significant benefit of coming back to AU for this season. 

Great point!

1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

All players should play every game.  It's their job to entertain me.

giphy.gif

In this case that could be highly illogical.

Archived