Derrick Brown will play

Tigerpro2a

Not suprising. An Auburn man through and through and absolute stud. I hope the fans appreciate this one. Complete act of selflessness. War Eagle Derrick. 

Why would Derrick Brown play in a game like this? Because he's *%^^&*%$# Derrick Brown, and that's what Derrick Brown does.  I'll bet he just made an extra $2M on his contract, and the best part is that has absolutely nothing to do with why he's playing. Dang, you just can't say enough good things about the guy.

2 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

Why would Derrick Brown play in a game like this? Because he's *%^^&*%$# Derrick Brown, and that's what Derrick Brown does.  

Your God dang right it is....

5 hours ago, AUght2win said:

I really wish he wouldn't. For him. I am serious. 

Pure speculation on my part, but everyone has their own convictions. Maybe one of his is to finish everything that he starts. 

As for my opinion, it’s a mixed bag...
Pros:

1. He is using one more opportunity to demonstrate selfless leadership to those expected to fill his shoes. 

2. He is demonstrating integrity to his future employers by being a team player instead of simply focusing on himself.

3. Being a premier, prominent college football player in this position is an opportunity to show recruits that Auburn has coaches that they will want to play for.

Cons:

1. The obvious risk of injury.

2. Taking playing time away from the future on the interior line for an exhibition game.

3. The bowl game he is electing to participate in is pointless, meaning that all Auburn is having to play for is pride.

43 minutes ago, akcwde said:

Pure speculation on my part, but everyone has their own convictions. Maybe one of his is to finish everything that he starts. 

This is why he came back to Auburn- he doesn't quit on a journey that he starts. Admirable trait for any young person. He's definitely a leader of men.

2 hours ago, akcwde said:

3. The bowl game he is electing to participate in is pointless, meaning that all Auburn is having to play for is pride.

This is always what is said before the game. After a bowl loss, the pointless game is suddenly reason to fire a coach and criticize the players. 😅

Derrick Brown will be remembered as an Auburn legend. Fr fr. Everything about him represents what the best looks likes both in play and character. 

27 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

This is always what is said before the game. After a bowl loss, the pointless game is suddenly reason to fire a coach and criticize the players. 😅

Maybe for some! Of course I’d like Auburn to win, but it has no bearing on anything unless it is a playoff game. 

I suppose an argument could be made for momentum and hope. Perhaps if we had lost to Purdue last year, we’d be staring at a 5 or 6 loss team. No way to know for sure! 

His career in football will come and eventually end. But the example Derrick Brown has set is in his DNA and will last a lifetime and pass on to his future generations or those that study him. I really don't care if he plays a lot, but just enough for the younger guys to see "The Creed" evident in his character.

59 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Spot on. I couldn't begin to count the times Gus's bowl record has been criticized in the ceaseless "gripe about Gus" comments.

Derrick Brown is a special football player. He is an even better Man. You can tell he has been brought up the right way. He will be successful in whatever he does.

14 hours ago, Cardin Drake said:

Why would Derrick Brown play in a game like this? Because he's *%^^&*%$# Derrick Brown, and that's what Derrick Brown does.  I'll bet he just made an extra $2M on his contract, and the best part is that has absolutely nothing to do with why he's playing. Dang, you just can't say enough good things about the guy.

🙄

5 hours ago, creed said:

His career in football will come and eventually end. But the example Derrick Brown has set is in his DNA and will last a lifetime and pass on to his future generations or those that study him. I really don't care if he plays a lot, but just enough for the younger guys to see "The Creed" evident in his character.

🙄

Maybe the plan is to let him play a series or two and then let him have a big curtain call waving to the crowd as he walks off the field.

And then the new guy trots on the field.

Derrick deserves a big send off.

3 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

You couldn't be more correct.. Happens like clockwork. One of the complaints about Gus is his dismal bowl record, yet we say it's best for our future NFL players to sit during the bowl game if it's not a playoff game.

2 hours ago, countoff said:

Maybe the plan is to let him play a series or two and then let him have a big curtain call waving to the crowd as he walks off the field.

And then the new guy trots on the field.

Derrick deserves a big send off.

That would be cool not only for Derrick but for all the seniors, even the ones who don’t get a lot of hype. I know we are hilighting Derrick in this thread but this was a strong class of leaders in this group. 

13 hours ago, Cardin Drake said:

Why would Derrick Brown play in a game like this? Because he's *%^^&*%$# Derrick Brown, and that's what Derrick Brown does.  I'll bet he just made an extra $2M on his contract, 

Under the current collective bargaining agreement the contracts for rookies in the NFL are slotted according to each draft position. It certainly is possible that Brown could improve his draft position by virtue of his play in the bowl, but that is the only way he could get more money for his rookie contract.

This collective bargaining agreement was implemented in 2011 and it has been estimated that the agreement cost Cam $50 million. The days of freewheeling rookie contracts are over. 

Here is a link to data re: contracts for NFL rookies. 

https://heavy.com/sports/2019/04/nfl-draft-pick-salaries-contracts-signing-bonuses/

I can't wait to watch the seniors and juniors who might jump ship early for the NFL. Thank you guys for all you as Auburn Tigers and best and of luck for whatever God has in store for each of you.

I would try to talk him out of it if I were Malzahn.

"Derrick, let your last time in an Auburn helmet be in Jordan Hare not Tampa. Let your last college game be the one you dominated and beat Alabama. Go out on that."

4 hours ago, AUght2win said:

I would try to talk him out of it if I were Malzahn.

"Derrick, let your last time in an Auburn helmet be in Jordan Hare not Tampa. Let your last college game be the one you dominated and beat Alabama. Go out on that."

Yea...that would go over like a far* in church.  😊

Archived