reflecting on the iron Bowl

shabby

So much happenned. I'm currently rewatching with the fore knowledge that we will win and with less emotion it's a different viewing experience. So much stuff. So pick one moment to discuss in response to this thread. Here's mine.

First drive of the 2nd half. CARLSON KICKSA 56 yard field goal!  Good!!!! However an off side gives us a first down. Gus opts to take the points off the board to continue the drive. Good call?

people jumping in the bushes should wear leather chaps just sayin................lol

Just now, aubiefifty said:

people jumping in the bushes should wear leather chaps just sayin................lol

I'm good then

11 minutes ago, shabby said:

So much happenned. I'm currently rewatching with the fore knowledge that we will win and with less emotion it's a different viewing experience. So much stuff. So pick one moment to discuss in response to this thread. Here's mine.

First drive of the 2nd half. CARLSON KICKSA 56 yard field goal!  Good!!!! However an off side gives us a first down. Gus opts to take the points off the board to continue the drive. Good call?

Yes, good call. As confident as Carlson was showing in that game, it was a good call to take the first down. With Alabama's ability to score points quickly, we needed TDs, not FGs to keep up the pace. As it turned out, didn't he end up kicking a FG anyway?

3 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Yes, good call. As confident as Carlson was showing in that game, it was a good call to take the first down. With Alabama's ability to score points quickly, we needed TDs, not FGs to keep up the pace. As it turned out, didn't he end up kicking a FG anyway?

He did. 

17 minutes ago, shabby said:

A slightly gutsy but good call to me. Not just in hindsight. I told people at the time I was watching. You dont play scared, you play to win. A confident call by Gus. 

3 straight great catches in that 2nd quarter drive, capped off by that Canellas unbelievable td grab. I dont remember the last time I've seen multiple AU receivers step up on the same drive like that....maybe 2018 Texas A and M? ??? Anyway, I liked it I loved it and want some more of it. 

17 minutes ago, twilli13 said:

3 straight great catches in that 2nd quarter drive, capped off by that Canellas unbelievable td grab. I dont remember the last time I've seen multiple AU receivers step up on the same drive like that....maybe 2018 Texas A and M? ??? Anyway, I liked it I loved it and want some more of it. 

Hastings William's and then Sal. Boom boom and boom. Sal's catch had me out of my seat screaming. I was so happy he got that moment. He made a catch like that in the Oregon game if I remember correctly

I still keep coming back to the first and goal pick six. It was a great play by McClain but I can’t believe Alabama made that call. Najee Harris was eating our lunch in the first half. How do you not give the ball to him at least two runs in a row? Surprised Saban hasn’t taken more heat for that. 

The best part of that pick six was him running the length of their sideline right in front of their bench! Watch it in slow motion and look at the expression on saban’s face when he runs by him!

3 hours ago, shabby said:

Yes because it worked out in the end

The statement made by Shivers when he knocked the helmet off McKinney and scored. I know the game wasn't over but that play was an exclamation point for Auburn. That was when I really felt we were going to win the game. 

10 minutes ago, gr82be said:

The statement made by Shivers when he knocked the helmet off McKinney and scored. I know the game wasn't over but that play was an exclamation point for Auburn. That was when I really felt we were going to win the game. 

I felt the same, but I didn’t think that would be the last score of the game.  It seemed the last one with the ball was going to win, that’s what happened, but not the way I thought at the time.

22 minutes ago, gr82be said:

After that TD I felt we would score on every possession, provided there was time.  And  if it went to OT, I was confident we would win.

Felt the same way during the 2013 IB. As much as I loved the Davis kick return, it irks me that some people say we needed a miraculous play to win that game.

4 hours ago, Piketiger1990 said:

I still keep coming back to the first and goal pick six. It was a great play by McClain but I can’t believe Alabama made that call. Najee Harris was eating our lunch in the first half. How do you not give the ball to him at least two runs in a row? Surprised Saban hasn’t taken more heat for that.

Well, Harris has just gotten stuffed on a run a couple of plays before. If I remember correctly it was a first down play, and I thought it was a good play call by Alabama. It would have most likely been  TD had Big Cat not caused the QB to rush the throw, however like you I'm glad they didn't just decide to try to run it three times there.

I hate to admit this, but I actually thought Gary Danielson was somewhat neutral, didn’t gush over and defend Bama all game, and called a decent game.

• WarTiger changed the title to reflecting on the iron Bowl
48 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I hate to admit this, but I actually thought Gary Danielson was somewhat neutral, didn’t gush over and defend Bama all game, and called a decent game.

He could constantly peg Auburn as God's gift to college football and still get on my last nerve. The guy annoys me about as much as any dude I've ever had to listen to.

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

I have always liked Gary until the LSU game. 

10 hours ago, shabby said:

Watched again myself with the same feelings Saturday morning. Went on to enjoy the remainder of this great weekend thinking.......we gotta a pretty smart coach and a great program. Love the Chad move and do believe the "future is bright". No doubt imo

I remember when we scored on Smoke's pick 6, I think, then they scored immediately after us. The Bammer sitting behind us started popping off and making fun of us for being so excited with the pick 6. I had to turn around and politely (well, maybe not so politely) ask him to just shut up. I thought, oh no, we're going to have to listen to this all game. 🙄 Thankfully, we stayed in the game and he remained quiet for the rest of the game. I was soooo excited with the end of the game that I was feeling gracious, so I turned around and shook his hand and apologized for being too emotional. :Sing: I guess I've got a little too much Auburn in me. ;D

So many plays that could have gone the other way and changed the outcome!  I try to remember this when things don't fall our way....but it so freakin' great when they do! 🤗

If Derrick's knocked down pass on 3rd down goes incomplete rather than Jones catching it and losing a yard or so....that kick probably would have been inside the left upright!! 😨

10 hours ago, Piketiger1990 said:

What you said...call of the game and play of the game.  There was no reason they didn't score on that drive; especially considering that we gave them 50 downs inside the 10 with all those penalties.   As you say; easy handoffs up the middle and game-over.  

Noted in watching the replay was Boobies great effort on the 3rd down play prior to the "unfair" call. If he is not fighting like hell for every yard or inch we are not in a fourth and four situation and a five yard call giving us the first down.

Archived