FBI NCAA stuff

AdamsHouseCat

Why is it that the NCAA - after all this time- has still not released its notice of allegations concerning us?  ( assuming one is coming).  Do you think our compliance is still working behind the scenes to mitigate?  Or is NCAA waiting for a time where they can make the biggest splash news?

i did notice that Oklahoma State received their Notice a couple of weeks ago.  Seemed Similar to the person situation.  Does NCAA want to keep this stuff “out ther” as long as possible for maximum impact?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, AdamsHouseCat said:

Why is it that the NCAA - after all this time- has still not released its notice of allegations concerning us?  ( assuming one is coming).  Do you think our compliance is still working behind the scenes to mitigate?  Or is NCAA waiting for a time where they can make the biggest splash news?

i did notice that Oklahoma State received their Notice a couple of weeks ago.  Seemed. Similar to thePerson situation.

Sounds like they are still working on them  ...USCw got a NOA just a few day ago and NC State is under the gun too. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/usc-receives-ncaa-notice-of-allegations/ar-AAK7MJU

20 hours ago, AdamsHouseCat said:

Does NCAA want to keep this stuff “out ther” as long as possible for maximum impact?

To all appearances, the NCAA has done just that in times past. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if they are doing it again.

My thinking is that the NCAA has been a caught a bit off guard by schools and coaches deciding to hit back at their sanctions and accusations. They charged Kansas with lack of control and specifically went after Bill Self in the charges and Kansas basically told the NCAA to stick it where the sun doesn't shine. I think NC State/ Gottfried are also fighting back on the charges. My guess is the NCAA has only so many resources to expend on these cases and they are maxed out. 

I for one am not losing any sleep or worry over the pending charges and i don't think the pending stuff is bothering AU in any way for that matter. If the NCAA decides for whatever reason to hit AU hard i think AU will fight back. I feel the school is firmly behind coach Pearl and will go to bat for him. With that said i'm not expecting the NCAA to come hard after AU since we took the actions that we did when all that stuff came down. One can never predict what the NCAA will do but they would be very unwise to spend their resources chasing Auburn based on the Person stuff that happened 4 years ago. 

Every up & coming compliance department remembers Jerry Tarkanian. Push back if you're Kansas or Duke, meh. Push back if you are not an established blue blood basketball program and the NCAA rolls up it's sleeves. Historically speaking.

6 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Every up & coming compliance department remembers Jerry Tarkanian. Push back if you're Kansas or Duke, meh. Push back if you are not an established blue blood basketball program and the NCAA rolls up it's sleeves. Historically speaking.

They are not done til they are done with Kansas....One player gone and a recruit who went elsewhere.   And U of Louisville got hit.....I'm guessing this is going to go on for a while...but AU has done what it could reasonably do I think and I'm guessing we are not high on the list for now. 

On 12/22/2019 at 2:01 AM, aucanucktiger said:

Every up & coming compliance department remembers Jerry Tarkanian. Push back if you're Kansas or UNCheat, meh. Push back if you are not an established blue blood basketball program and the NCAA rolls up it's sleeves. Historically speaking.

FIFY

On 12/22/2019 at 9:03 AM, AU64 said:

hit.....I'm guessing this is going to go on for a while...but AU has done what it could reasonably do I think and I'm guessing we are not high on the list for now

I think Auburn has done what could reasonably be expected too but that is what doesn't make sense to me. You'd think the NCAA would want to wrap up Auburn's case and scratch a name off their list. When I have a to-do list I love marking things off. That's why I get the feeling there might be more coming. 

4 hours ago, gr82be said:

I think Auburn has done what could reasonably be expected too but that is what doesn't make sense to me. You'd think the NCAA would want to wrap up Auburn's case and scratch a name off their list. When I have a to-do list I love marking things off. That's why I get the feeling there might be more coming. 

Sadly, you are probably correct. If we were a blue blood in BB or had UAT's connections the AU part of this would be wrapped up.

On 12/15/2019 at 12:24 PM, AdamsHouseCat said:

Why is it that the NCAA - after all this time- has still not released its notice of allegations concerning us?

@AdamsHouseCat Not sure but Phillip Marshall had an article a few monbths ago now stating AU did not expect their NOI for another year if not more.

On 12/15/2019 at 12:24 PM, AdamsHouseCat said:

Do you think our compliance is still working behind the scenes to mitigate?

Per Phillip's article no.

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

@AdamsHouseCat Not sure but Phillip Marshall had an article a few monbths ago now stating AU did not expect their NOI for another year if not more.

Per Phillip's article no.

Ellitor-  do you have any theories on why this is taking so long to resolve?

1 hour ago, AdamsHouseCat said:

Nope. Just know what Phillip reported. AU expects a NOI to take a year or more but ain't worried about any further punishment either.

15 hours ago, AdamsHouseCat said:

The NCAA loves to drag things out. In their way of thinking, the longer they can hold a cloud over a program's head, the better they like it. AU isn't the only school that's been dealt with like this, nor is basketball the only sport.

Now that this season has moved along well and we signed cooper et al ... it feels like the cloud is gone.  Personally don’t think it can be used effectively for negative recruiting anymore and it’s played itself out in the sports news.

its a big meh in my book now.

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

The NCAA loves to drag things out. In their way of thinking, the longer they can hold a cloud over a program's head, the better they like it. AU isn't the only school that's been dealt with like this, nor is basketball the only sport.

Their version of double secret probation.

• 2 weeks later...

Another school got it's NOA this week.  TCU joining a handful of others including Kansas, USCw and Okie State. ...might be another one or two that I can't remember...oh yeah, NC State too.

Bad news just dribbling out a bit at a time....☹️  

I sure don't have any inside info or anything, but it appears to me as I've read up on the situation that we're just not in the same category as those other schools. We didn't have shoe companies/agents trying to get players to come to Auburn. Chuck was trying to get 2 players already at Auburn to agree to sign with an agent for his own personal gain. That's not good, but it's not nearly the same thing as has been leveled at other schools & coaches. Unless there's stuff we don't yet know, it sure seems to me that the things we've already done ought to be punishment enough, but since when has the NCAA had a reputation for fairness? Has anyone seen Under Armour named as part of this scheme? I have not. And I would sure love to know what explanation Will Wade gave to LSU about the phone calls that came out in the FBI trial last spring that convinced them to let him come back & coach. 

The NCAA still has to lay down some probation time for Auburn, even after the $$ was paid back, the players sat and we cut recruiting voluntarily. I think any sanctions were covered by AU, but there will still be some probation coming.

6 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

I also thought all this stuff with NCAA and FBI was over and behind us. What's the deal here?

Waiting on a Notice Of Allegations & it could be a while.

The difference is, Auburn was far more proactive than any of them. Coaches, players, and recruiting paid a heavy price. No other school can say that.

@ellitor, my understanding from what PTB said is that we are not clear of the NCAA and that we could still have the hammer dropped on us.  Here is what he said on 1/7/2020:

"They see us as graduating players and playing clean with the NCAA (something they fear is looming for our BB program btw.)... There are some whispers about the NCAA spanking us in BBall...but that’s all I know. Nothing specific or credible yet."

Thoughts?

51 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

@ellitor, my understanding from what PTB said is that we are not clear of the NCAA and that we could still have the hammer dropped on us.  Here is what he said on 1/7/2020:

"They see us as graduating players and playing clean with the NCAA (something they fear is looming for our BB program btw.)... There are some whispers about the NCAA spanking us in BBall...but that’s all I know. Nothing specific or credible yet."

Thoughts?

I saw the post & replied to it in that thread. I don't think in any way there is an implication of fear of the hammer being dropped. Some may be more fearful of the severity of the slap on the wrist we will likely get but every single credible source involved has said we are just going to get a slap on the wrist because we were so proactive on our own thanks to McGinn (sp)

Archived